RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Canadianpatriot
Veteran Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Canadianpatriot » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:03 pm

Pho-fo or Epeac or anybody currently at Depot or anybody graduated recently or any old school veteran if things hasn't change since, how flexible the instructors are with soft bench marks ? 5km/10km ? I did 5km fast paced this evening and my left calf ended up burning in pain, I didn't stop but I finished at 35 mins which is later than I usually do and what I'm requested to do 30mins or less. but if similar crappy situation happens at Depot does that mean troubles coming my way ?
"The more you know, the less you fear" - Astronaut Cpt. Chris Hadfield.

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:19 pm

Canadianpatriot wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:03 pm
Pho-fo or Epeac or anybody currently at Depot or anybody graduated recently or any old school veteran if things hasn't change since, how flexible the instructors are with soft bench marks ? 5km/10km ? I did 5km fast paced this evening and my left calf ended up burning in pain, I didn't stop but I finished at 35 mins which is later than I usually do and what I'm requested to do 30mins or less. but if similar crappy situation happens at Depot does that mean troubles coming my way ?
Benchmarks are targets to aim to surpass, they are not hard standards that must be met. As long as you are putting in effort and show improvement throughout the program it won’t be the end of the world if you can’t make a particular time on a long run.
Don't call it a comeback...

BMAN-22
Rookie Member

Postby BMAN-22 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:41 am

Canadianpatriot wrote:
The only hard benchmark for fitness is the PARE test which is done 3 times. Other than that its putting in effort every time and showing improvement for all else, including the weekly workouts.
RCMP General Duty - B Division

DanyD92

Postby DanyD92 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:31 am

MRKB wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:32 am
DanyD92 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:44 pm
It would make about as much sense as buying a C6 Corvette with an automatic transmission because you want it to help you get ready for your DZ/airbrake driving test two weeks from now...
I mean I know the P226 isn't comparable to a SW but I need an excuse to buy it lol.
[/quote]

Why spend money on a gun now? If you are successful the RCMP will provide you with a free gun, free ammo and free targets. I sold all of my handguns when I got into Depot. I go shooting quite a bit now. Every shot I take is practice for the job because I am using the exact gun I will have on that day when things go bad.

Mike
[/quote]

I shoot and collect, I like to run different handguns for periods of time, get proficient with each. Obviously if Im shooting comp (IPSC) I won't be running the RCMP SW, compared to as if your actually training for the job.

I get if your limited on time and ammo you'd stick to one platform, but if I havr the options, can shoot things like IPSC, 3 gun ect why the hell wouldn't you want to get proficient in handling other firerams?
BC
App:23/9/18
RPAB:28/11/18
SP:20/12/18
RMAQ Rec:16/07/19
RFI: 25/07/19
BGI:6/08/19
PEP:15/09/19
PEP Rec:01/10/19
Med/Psych:03/10/19
Psych int:16/10/19
Med Clearance: 16/01/20
SC: 28/07/20
Troop: Troop 8 January 25th,-July 26th 2021

Canadianpatriot
Veteran Member

Postby Canadianpatriot » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:05 am

Awesome..Thanks Van and Bman.

Tornelco

Postby Tornelco » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:37 am

DanyD92 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:31 am

I shoot and collect, I like to run different handguns for periods of time, get proficient with each. Obviously if Im shooting comp (IPSC) I won't be running the RCMP SW, compared to as if your actually training for the job.

I get if your limited on time and ammo you'd stick to one platform, but if I havr the options, can shoot things like IPSC, 3 gun ect why the hell wouldn't you want to get proficient in handling other firerams?
You should definitely rock the RCMP SW in any shooting competition! Sure the trigger is 10x heavier than than everyone else's but you can make up for it with the juicy increased magazine capacity.
Correctional Peace Officer

DanyD92

Postby DanyD92 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:26 am

Tornelco wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:37 am
DanyD92 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:31 am

You should definitely rock the RCMP SW in any shooting competition! Sure the trigger is 10x heavier than than everyone else's but you can make up for it with the juicy increased magazine capacity.
One can only dream of 15 round magazine as a civi😢
BC
App:23/9/18
RPAB:28/11/18
SP:20/12/18
RMAQ Rec:16/07/19
RFI: 25/07/19
BGI:6/08/19
PEP:15/09/19
PEP Rec:01/10/19
Med/Psych:03/10/19
Psych int:16/10/19
Med Clearance: 16/01/20
SC: 28/07/20
Troop: Troop 8 January 25th,-July 26th 2021

Eagles1992

Postby Eagles1992 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:51 pm

Is the reason why you want to posted at a certain detachment considered? Or, is that a non-factor and only RCMP Operational needs are considered. Let's say there was an opening in fort mac and not a lot of my troop mates put that down as a destination.

My sister and her family reside in fort mac so that would be ideal. But the probability of that formulating is low, I understand.

Hope everyone is doing well mentally, spiritually, and physically!

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:14 pm

Eagles1992 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:51 pm
Is the reason why you want to posted at a certain detachment considered? Or, is that a non-factor and only RCMP Operational needs are considered. Let's say there was an opening in fort mac and not a lot of my troop mates put that down as a destination.

My sister and her family reside in fort mac so that would be ideal. But the probability of that formulating is low, I understand.

Hope everyone is doing well mentally, spiritually, and physically!
So, as I have explained before, this is how it goes. About half way through, you will be told which divisions are open to you, put them in order of preference. About a week or so later you will be told which Division you are going to. You'll have until the Tuesday after (at least pre covid) to write your top choices (as many as you like) with rationale as to why you want to go there. Then staffing will say well, here's your posting.
K division.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:18 pm

Canadianpatriot wrote:
So when I went to Depot, I was not a runner. I was (and am) a strength athlete, competed nationally for my sport. Out squatted, out deadlift the base. Closest one to me in bench was a full plate behind. I was holding my own for pull ups despite being 90lbs heavier than average in my Troop.

Running, however, was a different issue. My first 5k time was 34-35 minutes in the rain. 8km was around 48minutes. My last 5km time was just under 29minutes, done while snowing and in four inches of snow. May have been able to shave off another two minutes in ideal conditions. When it came to in class running, the facilitators were on my ass to push harder. That's it. I put in the effort every run and had no real issues. You'll be told when and how to run after hours. Follow the program and you will improve and succeed.

And that applies to all of Depot. Put in the effort. Depot itself isn't hard. Its a lot of work, and a lot of stress at times trying to time manage. If you are having difficulties with something, there is help.
K division.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:56 am

VanSmack wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:00 pm
Pete Broccolo wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:47 pm
Look, VS may spit polish his high-browns with a rock and wet sand, but do not try to use him as a safety versus your home-boss!!
I actually don't care what he tells his wife to justify buying it, just providing the facts.
And I don't actually remember the last time I polished my high browns,but u don't recall there being rocks or sand.
I may have gone too far...again.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband (8*+), Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

Canadianpatriot
Veteran Member

Postby Canadianpatriot » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:45 am

Shawshank wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:18 pm
Canadianpatriot wrote:
So when I went to Depot, I was not a runner. I was (and am) a strength athlete, competed nationally for my sport. Out squatted, out deadlift the base. Closest one to me in bench was a full plate behind. I was holding my own for pull ups despite being 90lbs heavier than average in my Troop.

Running, however, was a different issue. My first 5k time was 34-35 minutes in the rain. 8km was around 48minutes. My last 5km time was just under 29minutes, done while snowing and in four inches of snow. May have been able to shave off another two minutes in ideal conditions. When it came to in class running, the facilitators were on my ass to push harder. That's it. I put in the effort every run and had no real issues. You'll be told when and how to run after hours. Follow the program and you will improve and succeed.

And that applies to all of Depot. Put in the effort. Depot itself isn't hard. Its a lot of work, and a lot of stress at times trying to time manage. If you are having difficulties with something, there is help.
Great info Shawshank !! Very much appreciated. Did you come across biceps curlers in the squat rack at Depot haha ?

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:12 pm

Canadianpatriot wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:45 am
Shawshank wrote:
Canadianpatriot wrote:

Great info Shawshank !! Very much appreciated. Did you come across biceps curlers in the squat rack at Depot haha ?
Just me, but I have a basic rule - if you can squat more than I can curl, you can have the rack. Doesn't happen often LOL
K division.

Eagles1992

Postby Eagles1992 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:39 pm

Shawshank wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:12 pm
Canadianpatriot wrote:
Shawshank wrote:

Just me, but I have a basic rule - if you can squat more than I can curl, you can have the rack. Doesn't happen often LOL
Dayum.. You're either Ronnie Coleman or you workout with bunch of people that skip leg day.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:05 pm

Eagles1992 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:39 pm
Shawshank wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:12 pm
Canadianpatriot wrote:

Dayum.. You're either Ronnie Coleman or you workout with bunch of people that skip leg day.
I'm the strongest mountie in the west. LOL
I used to train with 500lb benchers, and a beast that was OHP 415, deadlifting 800.

Plus, not enough people push squats.
K division.