RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Seabassss
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Seabassss » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:14 pm

It was exceptional in the sense that most members don’t go to territories for even one posting, let alone going there, leaving and coming back a second time around. It happens from time to time, seemingly more in the last 10 years than what used to happen. He did it, I’ve done it, we both probably know a handful of others. When you go to those spots your career will typically have more frequent transfers than the average member, as these are all limited duration posts where once you’ve served your allotted time you’ll be going somewhere else. 4 of those 6 postings he had went to were tagged as 2 year postings when he was there, depending on a few other factors - promotion, reallocation of positions, etc - he potentially could have left those postings early.

The typical member in the average detachment isn’t moving every 2-3 years, some might, but most won’t. Typically you’re looking at between 5-7 years in most cases. I know members who have done 27 years without transferring from their first detachment. I also know plenty of members who’ve stretched decades together where they may have taken a transfer or two, but due to the geography involved have lived in the same house and had their kids going to the same school throughout.
I appreciate that insight, thanks.

Why is it that few people go to the territories? I would have thought that a lot of people would get 'forced' up there. Or is it that just very few want to go there?

epeac895

Postby epeac895 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:41 pm

Pho-fo-Sho wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:09 am
Thanks, epeac895 for clearing it up and being detailed about it.

Hope Depot is going well for you and your troop, you guys are almost done!
So close!!! 27 days till we are done!
AB Applicant
TROOP 33 2019/2020
K Div RM

BMAN-22
Rookie Member

Postby BMAN-22 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:29 pm

Seabassss wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:14 pm
It was exceptional in the sense that most members don’t go to territories for even one posting, let alone going there, leaving and coming back a second time around. It happens from time to time, seemingly more in the last 10 years than what used to happen. He did it, I’ve done it, we both probably know a handful of others. When you go to those spots your career will typically have more frequent transfers than the average member, as these are all limited duration posts where once you’ve served your allotted time you’ll be going somewhere else. 4 of those 6 postings he had went to were tagged as 2 year postings when he was there, depending on a few other factors - promotion, reallocation of positions, etc - he potentially could have left those postings early.

The typical member in the average detachment isn’t moving every 2-3 years, some might, but most won’t. Typically you’re looking at between 5-7 years in most cases. I know members who have done 27 years without transferring from their first detachment. I also know plenty of members who’ve stretched decades together where they may have taken a transfer or two, but due to the geography involved have lived in the same house and had their kids going to the same school throughout.
I appreciate that insight, thanks.

Why is it that few people go to the territories? I would have thought that a lot of people would get 'forced' up there. Or is it that just very few want to go there?
On the contrary, the territories are sought after from what I have seen. Everyone that I have spoken to who has done time there loved it.

There is no such thing as 'forcing' you to go anywhere division-wise. Once you are in a division, you can spend your career there if you see fit. Mind you, this may not apply for special units, but even then that is something you volunteer for.
RCMP General Duty - B Division

MBSK
Rookie Member

BJJ while at Depot

Postby MBSK » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:27 pm

Hey all,

I’m from Regina and nearing the end of the application process. I currently train BJJ 4x/wk in the city, after cardio/resistance training.

Im curious, while at depot would I still be able to train during the evenings/weekends, permitting I’m still doing my cardio/resistance training sessions?

Thanks!

oakleyguy
Rookie Member

Re: BJJ while at Depot

Postby oakleyguy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:36 pm

MBSK wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:27 pm
Hey all,

I’m from Regina and nearing the end of the application process. I currently train BJJ 4x/wk in the city, after cardio/resistance training.

Im curious, while at depot would I still be able to train during the evenings/weekends, permitting I’m still doing my cardio/resistance training sessions?

Thanks!
I'll speak in generality as you have mentioned you are nearing the end of your application process. Generally speaking there is ample time in the evenings and on the weekends to "practice" your skills and chances are you aren't the only one who has this similar training while at depot. It will entirely depend just how aggressive covid restrictions are / get when you undergo your training.

As for maintaining your training - there is ample time. There will also be a time in your training that you'll be provided the opportunity to disclose your skillsets to the facilitators.

Goodluck.
Currently: K Division, SA District
Formerly: GTA O Division SOC, Drugs.

"Everyone you know, knows something you don't."
"When you want to succeed - as bad as you want to breath, then you'll be successful."

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:21 pm

Seabassss wrote:
No one in any of the Territories was posted there without volunteering to do it. Given the isolation and other challenges to members being posted to those places staffing has a great deal of additional due diligence before sending members there - I.e.additional medical exams for members and their spouses to ensure there won’t be foreseeable requirements for medical travel, additional psych exams for both to ensure they are adjusted well enough to cope with the isolation, seasonal darkness, etc.

With all respect to Bman, they absolutely can force you to transfer from one Division to another, you may not hear about it all that often, but it can happen and occasionally does.

Additionally, SOME of the detachments in the territories are indeed sought after, but that’s an extremely broad brush to be painting with. The Yukon is much more desirable to the majority of members when compared with going to Pangnirtung or Grise Fiord. V Division, and to a lesser extent G Division have a much harder time attracting experienced members to volunteer to group than M does. There are good and bad to be had at any detachment, and some of the things that make a detachment a good experience have nothing to do with the community itself, and a whole experience can change (for good or bad) depending on one person being transferred in or out.
Don't call it a comeback...

BMAN-22
Rookie Member

Postby BMAN-22 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:20 pm

VanSmack wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:21 pm
Seabassss wrote:
With all respect to Bman, they absolutely can force you to transfer from one Division to another, you may not hear about it all that often, but it can happen and occasionally does.
I stand corrected, this is not something I have heard of, my bad!
RCMP General Duty - B Division

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:40 pm

Another reason why so few go to the territories compared to others is how many spots there are. From what I remember, there are more members in Red Deer City than in each of the territories.
K division.

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:50 pm

Shawshank wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:40 pm
Another reason why so few go to the territories compared to others is how many spots there are. From what I remember, there are more members in Red Deer City than in each of the territories.
V Div is the smallest in terms of membership with around 25 total detachments, most are only 2-3 member detachments, and no plainclothes or other support units outside of Iqaluit. The population of the entire territory is just over 38,000.

Red Deer is presently the largest RCMP Detachment in Alberta, and includes a substantial number of plainclothes and other support units (essentially anything not GD) under their roof like PDS, traffic, professional standards etc. The population of Red Deer is also roughly 4 times the population of the entire Nunavut territory’s, so it would stand to reason that there would be more. I’ve worked both, pros and cons to each.
Don't call it a comeback...

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:10 pm

BMAN-22 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:20 pm
VanSmack wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:21 pm
Seabassss wrote:
I stand corrected, this is not something I have heard of, my bad!
To give a historical perspective, while I am NOT *that* old, if you look at the obituary page of The Quarterly, you will see that pre-22000-ish Reg# at Moose Nuts Det NL were often told on a Thursday afternoon that their next pay envelope would be on the Sgt's desk at Cracked Axle Det AB on the following Monday, so they should get packin'!

The modern reality is that the bad-old-days transfer-frequency is WAY TOO DANGED expensive, nor makes sense.

I have certainly heard of RMs going to the 3 Artic Territory Divisions was a way to "pay their dues" to be able to get back to their, or their significant other's, home Province, but for some it was just a sunshine-and-smoke enema, so be careful, wabbit.

No quoting, high-5ing, or other use of my comments is authorized by any applicant, but I certainly expect it to be, and would be disappointed if not, used as ridicule by any Force member or Blue Line Admin or Moderator.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband (8*+), Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

Tornelco

Postby Tornelco » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:32 am

VanSmack wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:50 pm

Red Deer is presently the largest RCMP Detachment in Alberta, and includes a substantial number of plainclothes and other support units (essentially anything not GD) under their roof like PDS, traffic, professional standards etc. The population of Red Deer is also roughly 4 times the population of the entire Nunavut territory’s, so it would stand to reason that there would be more. I’ve worked both, pros and cons to each.
That's cool to hear that you worked in Red Deer, I've seen you post about it before! I am born and raised there, and I am sure that it influenced my decision to (want to) join the RCMP. I was even lucky enough to grab a picture with Superintendent Foster before he was relocated.
Correctional Peace Officer

Canadianpatriot
Veteran Member

Postby Canadianpatriot » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:58 am

What's the current troops capacity at Depot ? I read an article few months ago about a plan to increase the number of troops gradually, but not sure if they started working on that yet.
"The more you know, the less you fear" - Astronaut Cpt. Chris Hadfield.

Pho-fo-Sho

Postby Pho-fo-Sho » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:55 pm

Canadianpatriot wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:58 am
What's the current troops capacity at Depot ? I read an article few months ago about a plan to increase the number of troops gradually, but not sure if they started working on that yet.
Exactly 10. They might be able to squeeze a couple more because they're using the trailers now for the graduating troops. That should make more space in the CTF and D Block.
F Div.

Canadianpatriot
Veteran Member

Postby Canadianpatriot » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:03 pm

Pho-fo-Sho wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:55 pm
Canadianpatriot wrote:
Exactly 10. They might be able to squeeze a couple more because they're using the trailers now for the graduating troops. That should make more space in the CTF and D Block.
Thanks pho fo 👍I appreciate that.. how are you liking your FT ?
"The more you know, the less you fear" - Astronaut Cpt. Chris Hadfield.

epeac895

Postby epeac895 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:48 pm

Pho-fo-Sho wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:55 pm
Canadianpatriot wrote:
Trailers are being phased out now too, going back to dorms
AB Applicant
TROOP 33 2019/2020
K Div RM