RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
VanSmack

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby VanSmack » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:06 am

Canadianpatriot wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:31 pm
Yes sir ! Very clear now... just to clarify why I asked this question, is because I was told that even if you are found fit for duty by the doctor, their reports goes to recruiting to say the final word for either proceeding or not. Because often,they simultaneously undergo different procedures and investigations while you're file is being worked on at some stage. Thanks VS
If that happened your file would be terminated for something completely unrelated to your medical, parts of the application can and often do happen on parallel tracks to one another. If you pass your medical but simultaneously don’t clear your security screening they won’t push your application through just because the doctor cleared you as medically fit for duty.
Don't call it a comeback...

Canadianpatriot
Veteran Member

Postby Canadianpatriot » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:25 am

VanSmack wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:06 am
Canadianpatriot wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:31 pm
Yes sir ! Very clear now... just to clarify why I asked this question, is because I was told that even if you are found fit for duty by the doctor, their reports goes to recruiting to say the final word for either proceeding or not. Because often,they simultaneously undergo different procedures and investigations while you're file is being worked on at some stage. Thanks VS
If that happened your file would be terminated for something completely unrelated to your medical, parts of the application can and often do happen on parallel tracks to one another. If you pass your medical but simultaneously don’t clear your security screening they won’t push your application through just because the doctor cleared you as medically fit for duty.
Exactly 👍, because what he said to me is truly confusing!! , and like you outlined above if you're cleared on medical and found fit, you're fit there is no second guess to it. Yes, they could work simultaneously on 2 different things at the same time for some files..but In most cases every stage it's given its own time and own decision. Thanks for elaborating on this VS.
"The more you know, the less you fear" - Astronaut Cpt. Chris Hadfield.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:19 am

Too many of you are worrying about stuff that you can do NOTHING about, and if you actually READ the previous YEARS of comments in this thread, you would KNOW this.

Folks, it is a 147 year old crap-shoot, and it only gets weirder once you get in.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband (8*+), Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

Canadianpatriot
Veteran Member

Postby Canadianpatriot » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:25 am

Hahahahaha :D :D :D
"The more you know, the less you fear" - Astronaut Cpt. Chris Hadfield.

jnkpunwpc
Rookie Member

Postby jnkpunwpc » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:55 pm

Hello,

I have been training for depot and of course running is a part of that training. I'm doing a mix of 3km, 5km, and 8km runs. But I was wondering what exactly is done for running at depot? I'd like to match my runs to the schedule there; if anyone knows I'd appreciate that. Besides running between classes, any breakdown of scheduled runs by distance each month/week would be appreciated, thank you.

Pho-fo-Sho

Postby Pho-fo-Sho » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:26 pm

jnkpunwpc wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:55 pm
Hello,

I have been training for depot and of course running is a part of that training. I'm doing a mix of 3km, 5km, and 8km runs. But I was wondering what exactly is done for running at depot? I'd like to match my runs to the schedule there; if anyone knows I'd appreciate that. Besides running between classes, any breakdown of scheduled runs by distance each month/week would be appreciated, thank you.
You'll do a 5km trial run which is really a 2.5km run. Then you'll do a 5km, 8km run and then 2 uniform runs that will last for how an unknown amount of time. Depends if you make your OCU facilitators mad

EDIT: Regardless, you will be doing a lot of cardio.
F Div.

jnkpunwpc
Rookie Member

Postby jnkpunwpc » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:22 pm

Pho-fo-Sho wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:26 pm
You'll do a 5km trial run which is really a 2.5km run. Then you'll do a 5km, 8km run and then 2 uniform runs that will last for how an unknown amount of time. Depends if you make your OCU facilitators mad
Thanks, this is.. weekly?

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:46 pm

jnkpunwpc wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:22 pm
Pho-fo-Sho wrote:
No, you'll do a 5km near the start and once again near the near the end to measure improvement. Somewhere in the middle you will do an 8km. The goal is just to finish, but push yourself. These are the ones done during class time. Other PT classes include weights, various types of cardio and other runs.

You will be expected to do three cardio sessions outside of class time and two weight session outside. Three times through out Depot you will be "graded" on your fitness. Three levels each for cardio and strength. Lowest tier and you are told what to do, middle and you can pick from workouts, upper and you can do whatever you want.

This was all pre-covid, so I am not sure exactly what they are doing now though.
K division.

epeac895

Postby epeac895 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:04 am

Shawshank wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:46 pm
jnkpunwpc wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:22 pm
Pho-fo-Sho wrote:
No, you'll do a 5km near the start and once again near the near the end to measure improvement. Somewhere in the middle you will do an 8km. The goal is just to finish, but push yourself. These are the ones done during class time. Other PT classes include weights, various types of cardio and other runs.

You will be expected to do three cardio sessions outside of class time and two weight session outside. Three times through out Depot you will be "graded" on your fitness. Three levels each for cardio and strength. Lowest tier and you are told what to do, middle and you can pick from workouts, upper and you can do whatever you want.

This was all pre-covid, so I am not sure exactly what they are doing now though.
Both of these answers are correct.

2.5km intro run to show you the 5km course near the start of depot

5km timed run with the goal of max effort and finishing around week 5 or 6

8km times run same goal around week 13

5km times run with the same goal and hopefully improvement, around week 21

The only must pass fitness test in depot are the 3 PAREs (week 1, week 11 and week 20)

There is uniform runs, and uniform conditioning sessions.

And yes you are evaluated on your fitness level 3 times to give you your weekly workout requirements. Week 1, week 12, and week 19 or 20. You will get a tier based on cardio and strength, top choose your own adventure, bottom do what you’re told. 3 cardio and 2 resistance sessions on your own time and different days lasting 30 minutes minimum are a must!

The only thing that really changed since covid is the way we warm up and some sessions get split between the weight room and gym to space us out a bit more.
AB Applicant
TROOP 33 2019/2020
K Div RM

Pho-fo-Sho

Postby Pho-fo-Sho » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:09 am

Thanks, epeac895 for clearing it up and being detailed about it.

Hope Depot is going well for you and your troop, you guys are almost done!
F Div.

argyll
Rookie Member

Postby argyll » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:57 am

Wingman19 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:49 pm
epeac895 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:34 pm
Wingman19 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:17 pm
Hi guys,

Was reading past posts regarding this but hopefully an RM could elaborate/clarify.

Once out of Depot, you get your division and detachment and you want to settle in and purchase a house. You entrench yourself into the community you serve, start a family, potentially some babies out of the oven. Any foreseeable problems? Is it feasible? I am already envisioning issues where maybe your detachment commander doesn't like you and decides to have you transfer out lol. You never know, there is always some sort of work drama/politics.

I just want the full grasp on the policies in place to protect the livelihood of members and not get transferred out of the province or another detachment 500km away.

Thanks.
Where to start....

You are applying to a police force that provides policing services at the federal, provincial, and municipal level, YOU WILL BE POSTED AWAY FROM YOUR FIRST POST AT SOME POINT!

Your first post out of depot is simply that, some get posted to limited duration post 2-4 years depending on location. Some get posted to spots that have no set duration, but you will still be posted at some point especially if you have aspirations of specializing or promotions.

Having babies and having that held against you? Simply put, that is illegal and breaches your charter rights and labour laws... so no you will not be posted just because you start a family. RCMP has one of the best parental leaves I’ve ever seen honestly.

If the idea of moving from place to place and potentially to a different province is not something you like I would close your application with the RCMP and go apply to a municipal force where ever it is you wanna live. And if Ontario is where you wanna get posted from depot I would ensure you have a very specific skill set for federal level policing that the RCMP needs, because that is really the only way that is happening except in very rare circumstances.
I should have clarified, my first post - I am okay to go anywhere. I meant the second posting or the posting where you would continue to work at for the rest of your career. Yes, I have seen their parental leave benefits, its awesome. Just want to know how often a regular member changes their detachments throughout their career (25-35 years).

I am aware that you have to move from place to place, especially if you want to rank up. Oh I know, O division posting is very rare.

Thanks for the response.
I was in for 9 years and had 6 postings, but that was exceptional:

Windsor NS
Iqaluit NU
Pangnirtung NU (attached Parks Canada)
Iqaluit NU
Depot APS and Drill
Coral Harbour NU

Then I switched to an Ontario municipal service

jnkpunwpc
Rookie Member

Postby jnkpunwpc » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:52 pm

Thanks epeac895 and Pho-fo-Sho for the running information, that's great to know

Seabassss
Rookie Member

Postby Seabassss » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:03 pm

Windsor NS
Iqaluit NU
Iqaluit NU
Depot APS and Drill
Coral Harbour NU

Wow, that's incrdible, you sure spent your fair share of time up north!
I'm curious what you mean by 'exceptional'. Is that a lot of postings in a short amount of time?

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:23 pm

argyll wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:57 am

Windsor NS
Iqaluit NU
Iqaluit NU
Depot APS and Drill
Coral Harbour NU

It’s a ghost! Get a priest!

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:36 pm

Seabassss wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:03 pm

Wow, that's incrdible, you sure spent your fair share of time up north!
I'm curious what you mean by 'exceptional'. Is that a lot of postings in a short amount of time?
It was exceptional in the sense that most members don’t go to territories for even one posting, let alone going there, leaving and coming back a second time around. It happens from time to time, seemingly more in the last 10 years than what used to happen. He did it, I’ve done it, we both probably know a handful of others. When you go to those spots your career will typically have more frequent transfers than the average member, as these are all limited duration posts where once you’ve served your allotted time you’ll be going somewhere else. 4 of those 6 postings he had went to were tagged as 2 year postings when he was there, depending on a few other factors - promotion, reallocation of positions, etc - he potentially could have left those postings early.

The typical member in the average detachment isn’t moving every 2-3 years, some might, but most won’t. Typically you’re looking at between 5-7 years in most cases. I know members who have done 27 years without transferring from their first detachment. I also know plenty of members who’ve stretched decades together where they may have taken a transfer or two, but due to the geography involved have lived in the same house and had their kids going to the same school throughout.

Anyone thinking a detachment commander not liking you is going to result in you getting transferred doesn’t understand the process. There are all kinds of safeguards in place to ensure there isn’t any such thing as a punitive transfer in this day and age. If you go in thinking that you aren’t ever going to have to deal with the benefits and drawbacks of being transferred from time to time then you aren’t being honest with yourself about what working with this organization is going to entail.