RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Canadianpatriot
Veteran Member
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:13 am
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Canadianpatriot » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:21 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:46 pm
Canadianpatriot wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:05 pm
Slovak4188 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:56 pm


Same thing happens with TPS and Peel, frequently. Nothing you can really do about it.
It's definitely near impossible to do something about it,because you can't force someone to stay. However, it's just a red flag to warn the agency hiring this type of candidates.
I assume all agencies are suffering for qualified people, and they are ready to ignore such small details, if they can get the qualified, screened and trained troop to fill their vacancies fast.

RCMP also publicly advertises a short training program for graduates of other Provincial Police schools : https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/accelerat ... ng-program
It's an endless battle to debate this topic because nothing legally prevents an employee from being transferred to a different organization.
Regardless, the topic targeted those lying during their app process to be willing to relocate anywhere in Canada, while their intention is to just get the training completed at Depot so they can be transferred to their preferred region by applying for a specific municipal polics force .
After all, every agency knows whats better for them and they will go with what meets their standards and their needs.
"The more you know, the less you fear" - Astronaut Cpt. Chris Hadfield.

User avatar
Pete Broccolo
Moderator
Posts: 605
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Weyburn SK Canada
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:28 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:36 am
VanSmack wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:31 am
IronWolf wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:17 am


Regardless of any "tough talk", people will options and self esteem would not care, they will do what they feel is best for them.

And if you are not aware, RCMP advertises this : "You have the opportunity to identify your preferred province for your first post following graduation and every effort will be made to accommodate this; however, operational needs will determine the exact location of a posting."

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/cadet-training
"Where will I get posted after training? Do I have a choice?" section

So do not blame the recruits for having some hope or expectation to be posted at specific area.

No tough talk here, and you clearly don't understand what I said in my earlier post. I don't blame anyone for having hope they will get their desired posting out of training. The quote you took from the recruiting page is very clear that no one is being guaranteed anything as far as desired posting.

What I do have a problem with is anyone signing into a training agreement that stipulates that they are agreeing to be posted anywhere in Canada, and then entering into, and continuing training knowing (and in some case even saying out loud) that they actually don't have any intention of holding up their end of that agreement.

I'm not even saying I necessarily have a problem with someone who has been out in the field for a certain amount of time and then has circumstances change that no longer allow them to continue to serve in that post and as a result apply elsewhere. Things change, and I get that, however anyone in training with the RCMP to become a regular member has entered into that training with the expectation that they will be willing to serve anywhere in Canada at the discretion of the Commissioner or his delegate. If you are a Cadet who knows that they aren't willing to accept that part of the agreement then you have an issue. If you are a Cadet who got his post and doesn't like it, and are only continuing training with the RCMP so that you can immediately quit upon graduation and use your time at Depot to get hired by a municipal service back home, you've essentially received a benefit (6 months of training, free room and board, etc) from the RCMP based on lying to them about your willingness to actually accept a position with them anywhere in Canada. Without too many mental acrobatics one could easily make the case that this sort of thing would constitute fraud, and likely the only reason no one has ever pursued this angle before is that if you are that kind of person then the Force is better off not associating itself with you any further anyway.
I see your point, makes sense as well !
It is VERY good that you DID reply to VS as you did finally.

Make sure that you think A LOT HARDER before posting any future comments.

Do NOT reply to, or quote, MY reply, or otherwise refer to it.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband (8*+), Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

User avatar
Tornelco
Regular Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:49 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Tornelco » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:04 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:42 pm
Eagles1992 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:24 pm
...
This is an interesting topic. To knowingly lie about your intentions before you get accepted is sickening. There should be a hefty fine for breaking your word. Like pay us back every penny. Companies do it all the time so should the RCMP. It would definitely deter the shady applicants.
If RCMP cared, they could have added this question to the Polygraph :)

"Are you sincerely ready and willing to accept posting at any location or you plan to leave if the location is not satisfactory ?" ;)
You can't really polygraph someone on their intentions.... That's some Minority Report stuff right there.
Correctional Peace Officer

User avatar
oscar_mike
Rookie Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:56 am
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby oscar_mike » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:17 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:04 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:42 pm
Eagles1992 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:24 pm
...
This is an interesting topic. To knowingly lie about your intentions before you get accepted is sickening. There should be a hefty fine for breaking your word. Like pay us back every penny. Companies do it all the time so should the RCMP. It would definitely deter the shady applicants.
If RCMP cared, they could have added this question to the Polygraph :)

"Are you sincerely ready and willing to accept posting at any location or you plan to leave if the location is not satisfactory ?" ;)
You can't really polygraph someone on their intentions.... That's some Minority Report stuff right there.
you kind of can....'have you been truthful and honest throughout your application process' would probably do the trick.

Canadianpatriot
Veteran Member
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:13 am
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Canadianpatriot » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:27 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:04 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:42 pm
Eagles1992 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:24 pm
...
This is an interesting topic. To knowingly lie about your intentions before you get accepted is sickening. There should be a hefty fine for breaking your word. Like pay us back every penny. Companies do it all the time so should the RCMP. It would definitely deter the shady applicants.
If RCMP cared, they could have added this question to the Polygraph :)

"Are you sincerely ready and willing to accept posting at any location or you plan to leave if the location is not satisfactory ?" ;)
You can't really polygraph someone on their intentions.... That's some Minority Report stuff right there.
The polygraph screens someone's integrity throughout the whole application process... the fact that someone answers " yes " to be willing to relocate anywhere in Canada while their intentions is otherwise, it's considered screening their intentions.
"The more you know, the less you fear" - Astronaut Cpt. Chris Hadfield.

epeac895
Regular Member
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:45 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby epeac895 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:03 am

Canadianpatriot wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:27 pm
Tornelco wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:04 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:42 pm


If RCMP cared, they could have added this question to the Polygraph :)

"Are you sincerely ready and willing to accept posting at any location or you plan to leave if the location is not satisfactory ?" ;)
You can't really polygraph someone on their intentions.... That's some Minority Report stuff right there.
The polygraph screens someone's integrity throughout the whole application process... the fact that someone answers " yes " to be willing to relocate anywhere in Canada while their intentions is otherwise, it's considered screening their intentions.
To be fair their also a good reason poly is only used as a truth verification aid. In theory it wouldn’t be overly challenging to defeat a poly. Some basic research into the device after my poly and I wasn’t exactly sold on its reliability.
AB Applicant
TROOP 33 2019/2020
K Div RM

Eagles1992
Regular Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Eagles1992 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:08 pm

epeac895 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:03 am
Canadianpatriot wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:27 pm
Tornelco wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:04 pm


You can't really polygraph someone on their intentions.... That's some Minority Report stuff right there.
The polygraph screens someone's integrity throughout the whole application process... the fact that someone answers " yes " to be willing to relocate anywhere in Canada while their intentions is otherwise, it's considered screening their intentions.
To be fair their also a good reason poly is only used as a truth verification aid. In theory it wouldn’t be overly challenging to defeat a poly. Some basic research into the device after my poly and I wasn’t exactly sold on its reliability.
I guess what's hard for me to comprehend is how you can leave someone who gave you an opportunity.

It's like having a partner who's always been there for you and is big reason for you success. But now that you are something (whether perceived or real) you decide you are better than them. That's honestly narcissistic behaviour. And if that's the case the RCMP or any other organization will be better off without that individual(s).

User avatar
Wingman19
Veteran Member
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:15 am
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Wingman19 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:28 pm

Eagles1992 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:08 pm
epeac895 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:03 am
Canadianpatriot wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:27 pm


The polygraph screens someone's integrity throughout the whole application process... the fact that someone answers " yes " to be willing to relocate anywhere in Canada while their intentions is otherwise, it's considered screening their intentions.
To be fair their also a good reason poly is only used as a truth verification aid. In theory it wouldn’t be overly challenging to defeat a poly. Some basic research into the device after my poly and I wasn’t exactly sold on its reliability.
I guess what's hard for me to comprehend is how you can leave someone who gave you an opportunity.

It's like having a partner who's always been there for you and is big reason for you success. But now that you are something (whether perceived or real) you decide you are better than them. That's honestly narcissistic behaviour. And if that's the case the RCMP or any other organization will be better off without that individual(s).
Eh, frankly its just human nature. On the issue of agreeing to be relocated anywhere and deciding to jump ship to a municipal force is not new nor an "RCMP" issue. Happens to local services as well, Constables leaving to another service that is closer to their house, former community or places where housing is affordable. Priorities change, perception change. There is a cultural shock when you are posted to a rural community, or a indigenous community. Some people will adapt and enjoy the new experience, others will feel like their life is miserable.

In regards to the RCMP, its difficult to demonize applicants for not being loyal to the organization that hired them. They are leaving their communities, friends, family all behind and literally restarting their lives as agents of the Federal Government. Those are genuine sacrifices, compounded with issues of internal politics (not getting along with your superiors, colleagues, postings, promotion, pay). What is most important that its not just a job, its a life style.
RCMP ON APP Dec 4 2019

SP: Dec16 2019
QA: Dec 23 2019
PBQ: Feb 10/20
Suit: Feb 26/20
RMAQ: April/20
RFI April/20
Field Investigation: June/20
PEP invite: Sept/20
PEP rec: Sept/20
Psych: Nov/20
Med: Dec/20
SC: :boxer:
Municipal apps: On-Going

Eagles1992
Regular Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Eagles1992 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:18 pm

Wingman19 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:28 pm
Eagles1992 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:08 pm
epeac895 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:03 am


To be fair their also a good reason poly is only used as a truth verification aid. In theory it wouldn’t be overly challenging to defeat a poly. Some basic research into the device after my poly and I wasn’t exactly sold on its reliability.
I guess what's hard for me to comprehend is how you can leave someone who gave you an opportunity.

It's like having a partner who's always been there for you and is big reason for you success. But now that you are something (whether perceived or real) you decide you are better than them. That's honestly narcissistic behaviour. And if that's the case the RCMP or any other organization will be better off without that individual(s).
Eh, frankly its just human nature. On the issue of agreeing to be relocated anywhere and deciding to jump ship to a municipal force is not new nor an "RCMP" issue. Happens to local services as well, Constables leaving to another service that is closer to their house, former community or places where housing is affordable. Priorities change, perception change. There is a cultural shock when you are posted to a rural community, or a indigenous community. Some people will adapt and enjoy the new experience, others will feel like their life is miserable.

In regards to the RCMP, its difficult to demonize applicants for not being loyal to the organization that hired them. They are leaving their communities, friends, family all behind and literally restarting their lives as agents of the Federal Government. Those are genuine sacrifices, compounded with issues of internal politics (not getting along with your superiors, colleagues, postings, promotion, pay). What is most important that its not just a job, its a life style.

I am not speaking to individuals who have a legitimate reason for leaving. Whether that is policing is not for them, family situation, working a toxic workforce/discrimination. If that's the case please leave you shouldn't stay in a abusive relationship.

I am zeroing in on those applicants who just want to use the RCMP. That's all.

epeac895
Regular Member
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:45 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby epeac895 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:59 am

Eagles1992 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:18 pm
Wingman19 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:28 pm
Eagles1992 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:08 pm


I guess what's hard for me to comprehend is how you can leave someone who gave you an opportunity.

It's like having a partner who's always been there for you and is big reason for you success. But now that you are something (whether perceived or real) you decide you are better than them. That's honestly narcissistic behaviour. And if that's the case the RCMP or any other organization will be better off without that individual(s).
Eh, frankly its just human nature. On the issue of agreeing to be relocated anywhere and deciding to jump ship to a municipal force is not new nor an "RCMP" issue. Happens to local services as well, Constables leaving to another service that is closer to their house, former community or places where housing is affordable. Priorities change, perception change. There is a cultural shock when you are posted to a rural community, or a indigenous community. Some people will adapt and enjoy the new experience, others will feel like their life is miserable.

In regards to the RCMP, its difficult to demonize applicants for not being loyal to the organization that hired them. They are leaving their communities, friends, family all behind and literally restarting their lives as agents of the Federal Government. Those are genuine sacrifices, compounded with issues of internal politics (not getting along with your superiors, colleagues, postings, promotion, pay). What is most important that its not just a job, its a life style.

I am not speaking to individuals who have a legitimate reason for leaving. Whether that is policing is not for them, family situation, working a toxic workforce/discrimination. If that's the case please leave you shouldn't stay in a abusive relationship.

I am zeroing in on those applicants who just want to use the RCMP. That's all.
As much as I hate hearing that mentality of just leaving after depot to jump ship to muni for more pay; I also don’t want someone watching my 6 that has no interest in being there. I’d rather be in a tight spot with no backup than knowing a liability is responding.

When I was in the army I always tried to talk people into finishing at least their initial contract and I wish people would do the same with the RCMP. But on the flip side someone who no longer wants to be with the force will have a negative outlook on everything, that’s cancer and can kill the morale of any workforce.

The people that only want the completion certificate from depot should have never made it here to being with. If a muni force didn’t want you for what ever reason and your end goal is to be with that force, just better yourself in the aspects they want. Thinking a piece of paper and wasting 6 months of others time will better yourself is a pipe dream.
AB Applicant
TROOP 33 2019/2020
K Div RM

Melanie1
Seasoned Member
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Melanie1 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:37 pm

Maybe I’ll be shit on for this. Maybe not.
But... if you are at depot and your troopmate is that guy that wants out... how does it effect you personally? Maybe I don’t see the big picture but... I don’t think if effects me at all. If that’s what they want to do. Just be a good troopmate that’s all I care.

I know that Depot decides and does whatever they want, despite pretending to care about your personal circumstances. Depot love is hit and miss for if they actually care. And they don’t care but will pretend to care...and if you are a cadet and are in a relationship with a member after you get to depot. Don’t hold your breathe.

Why not get experience that RCMP offers and then go from there. Everyone needs to make their own decisions for their own personal life. Personal happiness is most important. Life is short. Do you boo. Do makes you happy. And who cares what others think.
CX

Canadianpatriot
Veteran Member
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:13 am
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Canadianpatriot » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:14 pm

Is it possible to request an entry permit to a local RCMP facility where PARE station is available ? I'd like to test myself. It's hard to find the step obstacle anywhere !!. I even thought of building it !!
"The more you know, the less you fear" - Astronaut Cpt. Chris Hadfield.

User avatar
Shawshank
Regular Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Ottawa
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Shawshank » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:17 pm

Melanie1 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:37 pm
Maybe I’ll be shit on for this. Maybe not.
But... if you are at depot and your troopmate is that guy that wants out... how does it effect you personally? Maybe I don’t see the big picture but... I don’t think if effects me at all. If that’s what they want to do. Just be a good troopmate that’s all I care.

I know that Depot decides and does whatever they want, despite pretending to care about your personal circumstances. Depot love is hit and miss for if they actually care. And they don’t care but will pretend to care...and if you are a cadet and are in a relationship with a member after you get to depot. Don’t hold your breathe.

Why not get experience that RCMP offers and then go from there. Everyone needs to make their own decisions for their own personal life. Personal happiness is most important. Life is short. Do you boo. Do makes you happy. And who cares what others think.
Depends really. If they are your friend, it would be different. If it was someone who just happened to share the same troop number? I'll wish them all the best and that's it for me.

For relationships, some work, some don't. Depends on how serious you are or if it was just a relationship based on limited options at the time. I have some friends who put in the effort and have made it work very well.

As for the last part, as has been stressed, if you show up and it doesn't work out, that's fine. But if you show up, having told everyone along the way that you are willing to be posted, knowing you are gone if you don't get your home town, then you've lied the whole way and lack integrity.
K division.

VanSmack
Regular Member
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:28 am
Location: Your mom's house.
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby VanSmack » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:43 pm

Melanie1 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:37 pm
Maybe I’ll be shit on for this. Maybe not.
But... if you are at depot and your troopmate is that guy that wants out... how does it effect you personally? Maybe I don’t see the big picture but... I don’t think if effects me at all. If that’s what they want to do. Just be a good troopmate that’s all I care.
You’re right, you don’t see the big picture, I pointed out a whole list of things that contribute to a small slice of the big picture that ultimately impact anyone who is, or is planning on being a regular member. The first day every cadet is at Depot they get a classroom visit from the CO of Depot that will invariably include several minutes dedicated to each and every one of them being a steward of the core values of the RCMP, and that they are all responsible for ensuring that one another lives up to those core values.
In that moment it might not effect you, but if someone did that while you were trying to get to Depot and took a spot that could have been yours, knowing full well that they had no intention on staying, it most certainly affected you.
Melanie1 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:37 pm
I know that Depot decides and does whatever they want, despite pretending to care about your personal circumstances. Depot love is hit and miss for if they actually care. And they don’t care but will pretend to care...and if you are a cadet and are in a relationship with a member after you get to depot. Don’t hold your breathe.
Staffing never pretends to promise any cadet anything. You agree in writing multiple times before being sent to Depot that you’ll do something. If you’re entering into a training agreement knowing you aren’t willing to uphold your end of that contract then you’re receiving your training under false pretenses. There’s nothing in any agreement for a cadet that has fine print saying anything about guaranteed postings if you make the decision to get into a romantic entanglement with another cadet or member while at Depot. If you’re looking at the training agreement as a contract, which it is, it should be on you to advise anyone you’re about to get into a relationship that you’re very likely going to be posted somewhere very far away in the next few months, and not to expect any consideration for those personal situations, as it was made clear that they are secondary to operational needs. You made the choice to commit to serve anywhere in Canada, if you were in a relationship when you signed the cadet training agreement then that was a conversation you and your partner should have had. If you entered into that agreement and then subsequently entered into a relationship, it’s up to you to make your partner aware of your previous commitment. In neither case should it ever fall upon staffing to try and sort out your personal life entanglements instead of putting the newly graduated Cst. In the position most operationally expedient.
Melanie1 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:37 pm
Why not get experience that RCMP offers and then go from there. Everyone needs to make their own decisions for their own personal life. Personal happiness is most important. Life is short. Do you boo. Do makes you happy. And who cares what others think.
Get the experience of the RCMP paying to train you with the expectation that you are willing to go anywhere in Canada and then quit at the earliest opportunity to go work for someone else? If that’s what you’re talking about I cannot disagree more. The RCMP is making an investment in you based on an agreement you willingly enter into. If your mindset is to take whatever they give you and cut and run as soon as you have gotten whatever you need to go work elsewhere that is super shady behaviour.

I’m not talking about someone who gives it a legit try and after however long decides they aren’t adjusting to the different location or whatever, I’m talking about people still in the process of receiving benefits in the form of training, etc, from the Force while actively planning their jump to another service, whether that is based on them getting a specific geographic posting or anything else.

It’s unethical,
It’s dishonest.
It’s fraudulent behaviour, and not out of the question of being criminal behaviour.

I’ll agree with what was written above that I don’t want someone who doesn’t want to be there serving as backup in the field, but I also don’t want someone who doesn’t want to keep their word taking a spot in training away from someone who will.
Don't call it a comeback...

IronWolf
Seasoned Member
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby IronWolf » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:54 pm

Melanie1 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:37 pm
... Everyone needs to make their own decisions for their own personal life. Personal happiness is most important. Life is short. Do you boo. Do makes you happy. And who cares what others think.
:thumbsup:

Ultimately it comes up to that - personal happiness and satisfaction of the job you do, and the conditions attached to it do matter in same cases.

Some can find this at any location, in other cases the location seems to be a deal breaker ... case in point - these recruits that were openly sharing that they will leave at graduation.

RCMP can make it even and fair by making the troops contractually obliged to stay with the agency for a period of time upon graduation or to reimburse all hiring expenses if they leave before that.

Make it like 25K to reimburse if you leave on your own before 10 years at the force and I guarantee you many that abuse the system will not even apply ;)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], callofduty288, SemrushBot and 12 guests