RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
ikong0621
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP VS CAF

Postby ikong0621 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:40 pm

mp12 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:55 pm
Hi there, I am writing this in the hope of getting some genuine opinions from all of you here in regards to my future career choice.

I am currently approaching the very final stage of the RCMP application process (Med and Psych done last week) and I already received the job offer from CAF as an officer cadet. However, the challenge is that both jobs are my dream jobs and I really don’t know how to choose even after consulting family and friends...

Fact is, I personally prefer the relatively more stable lifestyle of RCMP as there’s at least possibility of getting posed back to my home province, whereas the trade offered from CAF won’t allow such at all, and that may be my major concern. In addition, both will be officer cadet and there won’t be official employment till after graduation from training (BMOQ is 13 wks and Depot is 6months).

The offer letter from CAF is right in front of me and the deadline to reply and accept it is the end of January, whereas I don’t know how much longer it’ll take after RCMP MED AND PSYCH to receive the job offer. Therefore, I am hoping someone here can help providing some experienced opinions in such matter.

Thanks in advance and I truly look forward to your mind replies.
Here is my 2 cents, it all depends on your lifestyle and if you have a wife or children already. If you do, then RCMP is a better path. If not, then CAF maybe a good choice.
Your security clearance stage after Med can take from 3 months to 1 year, each applicant varies. Therefore, there is no guarantee when you are getting your troop offer.
One thing that you also have to consider is, RCMP has not made an offer to you but CAF gave you a solid offer. That means, if you choose to wait for RCMP and decline on CAF, CAF may not allow you to join anymore, because you declined their offer for no reason (especially when you show that you want RCMP more than CAF).

Good luck and wish you all the best for your choice
Vancouver Police Department
Deferred until - 2020/05/22

CBSA
Applied - 2019/02/08
OTEE - 2019/03/15 PASS
Interview - TBA

BC Corrections
Applied - 2020/02/04
REACT - 2020/02/16
COPAT - 2020/02/18
Interview - 2020/03/16
Conditional Offer - 2020/03/25
TBA...

5pointoh
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby 5pointoh » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:43 pm

When is your start date for basic training?

mp12
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP VS CAF

Postby mp12 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:57 pm

Thanks ikong0621. Geeee I thought it was only a matter of weeks till the job offer after Med and Psych...

You are right. The risk is turning down a solid offer over another ongoing one. I wouldn’t mind waiting, it’s just the unpredictable that scares me...

mp12
Rookie Member

Postby mp12 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:58 pm

5pointoh wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:43 pm
With CAF, BMOQ starts beginning of March... But I have to get back to them by tomorrow if I accept the job offer or not...

5pointoh
Rookie Member

Postby 5pointoh » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:28 pm

mp12 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:58 pm
5pointoh wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:43 pm
With CAF, BMOQ starts beginning of March... But I have to get back to them by tomorrow if I accept the job offer or not...

You can always leaving basic training if another career opportunity presents itself and the military life style is not for you. I am pretty sure you can also not attend basic training if anything happens between now and then.

mp12
Rookie Member

Postby mp12 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:49 pm

But I’m not sure about accepting the job offer and then jumping ship before basic training. I don’t want to treat either job as a stepping stone as it’s not fair to my employer. Thanks for the reply thou.

ikong0621
Rookie Member

Postby ikong0621 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:19 pm

mp12 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:49 pm
But I’m not sure about accepting the job offer and then jumping ship before basic training. I don’t want to treat either job as a stepping stone as it’s not fair to my employer. Thanks for the reply thou.
If you are single with no attachment. I would suggest you to go for it. Reasons being the followings:

1) Solid offer from CAF vs. no official offer from RCMP yet (you can be deferred at any stage during the process).

2) If you jump ship after accepting the offer from CAF, it is going to show on your record (which RCMP has access to), and it does not looking good on your record. It also shows a lack of commitment and maturity, because you show them you do not know what you want and keep changing your decision, considering the cost of training an RCMP officer or a military officer (especially for the officer training, as you will receive a second language training and occupation training after your BMOQ, depends on the trade you were selected)

3) You can re-apply to RCMP or even municipal agencies after your serving time with full military experience, which is valuable as a lot of applicants do not have.

At the end of the day, you have to consider the pros and cons. Hopefully it helps.
Vancouver Police Department
Deferred until - 2020/05/22

CBSA
Applied - 2019/02/08
OTEE - 2019/03/15 PASS
Interview - TBA

BC Corrections
Applied - 2020/02/04
REACT - 2020/02/16
COPAT - 2020/02/18
Interview - 2020/03/16
Conditional Offer - 2020/03/25
TBA...

mp12
Rookie Member

Postby mp12 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:31 pm

Thanks a lot guys. Truly appreciate all the replies and I will seriously evaluate the situation and hopefully come to a conclusion asap. :thumbsup:

jordan442
Rookie Member

Postby jordan442 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:36 pm

Ont. RCMP Recruiter wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:35 am
Morning,

You were provided a letter after the exam indicating you would receive the selection package between 4-6 weeks. It looks like it's been six weeks + a day. Can you send your details to rcmp_recruiting@rcmp-grc.gc.ca and we will look into your file. As long as you passed the RPAT you would move on to the selection package stage, so you should have gotten a package. Send us your details and we can get it sorted out.

Imran

Thanks for the reply. I'm in no huge rush so I will give it until Monday and if I still don't receive anything I will send an email

Thanks again

MichaelVAP
Rookie Member

Postby MichaelVAP » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:22 am

mp12 wrote:
Ask yourself this. Let’s say you don’t take the job for CAF and you wait for the RCMP. You get the chance to do training and get the job but they put you in Alberta despite your preference. At that point would you regret not joining CAF as it seems when I read your post one of the main reasons you like the RCMP is the possibility of being posted back to BC where you live.

Remove the idea of being posted to BC and then hold both jobs side by side and ask yourself what you would prefer regardless of geographical location.

Either way both jobs are amazing in my opinion and whichever one you choose I’m sure you will come to love.

Have a Good Friday 😁.
ON Applicant
App: MAR 19
RPAB: APR 19
SP submitted: APR 19
SP Reviewed: MAY 19
Clerical test: MAY 19
RMAQ: NOV 19
RFI: NOV 19
Field investigation: DEC 19
PEP: JAN 20
PEP Rec: JAN 20
Psych: FEB 20
Psych Rec:
Medical: FEB 20
Med Rec:
SC:
Troop:

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:04 am

jordan442 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:36 pm
Morning,

You were provided a letter after the exam indicating you would receive the selection package between 4-6 weeks. It looks like it's been six weeks + a day. Can you send your details to rcmp_recruiting@rcmp-grc.gc.ca and we will look into your file. As long as you passed the RPAT you would move on to the selection package stage, so you should have gotten a package. Send us your details and we can get it sorted out.

Imran

Thanks for the reply. I'm in no huge rush so I will give it until Monday and if I still don't receive anything I will send an email

Thanks again
How does taking 2 minutes to send an email to figure what's potentially going on with your file inconvenience you so much that you ask about it, then when told what to do respond that you're in no rush...? Especially since the selection package is time sensitive...

I would reconsider waiting until Monday. Everyone in this process is in a big rush to get to Depot but they are forced to wait, you have a chance to get an answer and move your process along. You're not going to impress anyone with a laissez-faire attitude on here.
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#4 (2020-05-04-2020-11-02)

mp12
Rookie Member

Postby mp12 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:29 am

MichaelVAP wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:22 am
mp12 wrote:
Ask yourself this. Let’s say you don’t take the job for CAF and you wait for the RCMP. You get the chance to do training and get the job but they put you in Alberta despite your preference. At that point would you regret not joining CAF as it seems when I read your post one of the main reasons you like the RCMP is the possibility of being posted back to BC where you live.

Remove the idea of being posted to BC and then hold both jobs side by side and ask yourself what you would prefer regardless of geographical location.

Either way both jobs are amazing in my opinion and whichever one you choose I’m sure you will come to love.

Have a Good Friday 😁.
Thanks a lot!
I will never choose one over another just because it’s ‘easier’, hence realistically, either one I choose, I’d be ready to make some personal sacrifices. The only thing is, after reading lots of posts here, the potentially lengthy waiting period after Med and Psych.
Thanks again and enjoy the weekend!

jordan442
Rookie Member

Postby jordan442 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:06 pm

cbmcmsa wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:04 am
jordan442 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:36 pm
Morning,

Imran

Thanks again
How does taking 2 minutes to send an email to figure what's potentially going on with your file inconvenience you so much that you ask about it, then when told what to do respond that you're in no rush...? Especially since the selection package is time sensitive...

I would reconsider waiting until Monday. Everyone in this process is in a big rush to get to Depot but they are forced to wait, you have a chance to get an answer and move your process along. You're not going to impress anyone with a laissez-faire attitude on here.

You are absolutely right, and I did actually send an email already after thinking about it. I was just giving the benefit of the doubt considering he said it's only been 1 day over the expected time.

MichaelVAP
Rookie Member

Postby MichaelVAP » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:41 pm

kristinhenry wrote:
Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:51 am
I'm from Edmonton, Ab, and when I was offered Troop 24 (Jan 12) back in early December, I was asked if I preferred to drive or fly. I chose the drive option simply because I have family along the way to break up the 800 km drive, (I also had no where to park it for 6 months) :) On that same note, a friend of mine, also from Edmonton, was given 3 days notice for Troop 21. Driving was not an option for him, simply because the lack of time! Seems to be a case by case scenario. I also won't be reimbursed for travel since I'm over that 650 km limit. Win some, you lose some, but if you would rather drive, just ask when you are offered a troop if it's an option for you!
Hey everyone, tried finding a more updated answer to no avail, this is from 2015. Was wondering if bringing your vehicle to depot is still an option and if it is would parking be available or not? Thanks 😊
ON Applicant
App: MAR 19
RPAB: APR 19
SP submitted: APR 19
SP Reviewed: MAY 19
Clerical test: MAY 19
RMAQ: NOV 19
RFI: NOV 19
Field investigation: DEC 19
PEP: JAN 20
PEP Rec: JAN 20
Psych: FEB 20
Psych Rec:
Medical: FEB 20
Med Rec:
SC:
Troop:

Steen
Rookie Member

Postby Steen » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:23 am

MichaelVAP wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:41 pm
kristinhenry wrote:
Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:51 am
I'm from Edmonton, Ab, and when I was offered Troop 24 (Jan 12) back in early December, I was asked if I preferred to drive or fly. I chose the drive option simply because I have family along the way to break up the 800 km drive, (I also had no where to park it for 6 months) :) On that same note, a friend of mine, also from Edmonton, was given 3 days notice for Troop 21. Driving was not an option for him, simply because the lack of time! Seems to be a case by case scenario. I also won't be reimbursed for travel since I'm over that 650 km limit. Win some, you lose some, but if you would rather drive, just ask when you are offered a troop if it's an option for you!
Hey everyone, tried finding a more updated answer to no avail, this is from 2015. Was wondering if bringing your vehicle to depot is still an option and if it is would parking be available or not? Thanks 😊
Yes you can bring it (they don't pay you km rate), yes there's a gravel parking lot you can use
RM