RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Jon.
Grand Poobah

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Jon. » Sat May 11, 2019 1:05 am

steen15 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:24 am
Is there is a swimming component at Depot?

My wife will be moving to Canada for the first time and am the only one she knows here. Would it be a good idea for her to move to Regina with me or let her stay in Winnipeg?
If you can't swim don't worry about it. You'll need trunks for at least one class unless they've changed that. I can't swim, they just found other stuff for me to do.

Her moving there? Depends on if you want to be "that guy" in the troop. We had one. He moved his family from BC to across the street from Depot. He was eventually given the ultimatum of choosing to spend less time with them or he'd get a whole lot more time to spend with them. Gone every night as soon as class was done, gone every weekend.
On the plus side, doesn't matter which city she winds up in, she'll be living in a dump. :thumbsup:

Applicant2018
Rookie Member

Postby Applicant2018 » Sat May 11, 2019 1:52 am

Thanks a lot for the response, I appreciate.

jpsingh
Rookie Member

Postby jpsingh » Sat May 11, 2019 5:31 pm

Hello everyone,

I am from lower mainland BC and submitted my selection package on October 21, 2018. I haven't heard any update since then for RMAQ review. My file coordinator sent me a couple of emails and mentioned that my file is still under review.
I was deferred for 2 years in October 2016 and reapplied after passing the 2 years deferral period. Anyone else in the same timeline? Anything to worry at this point as it is taking very long after the submission of selection package?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

k_eds
Rookie Member

Postby k_eds » Sat May 11, 2019 11:43 pm

jpsingh wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:31 pm
Hello everyone,

I am from lower mainland BC and submitted my selection package on October 21, 2018. I haven't heard any update since then for RMAQ review. My file coordinator sent me a couple of emails and mentioned that my file is still under review.
I was deferred for 2 years in October 2016 and reapplied after passing the 2 years deferral period. Anyone else in the same timeline? Anything to worry at this point as it is taking very long after the submission of selection package?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Hi, I am also from the Lower Mainland. I submitted my selection package around the same time as you on 23OCT18 and was contacted to schedule the RMAQ interview on 21FEB19. Therefore, the delay likely has something to do with your deferral, though not sure if it's cause for concern.
BC Applicant
App: 13AUG18
SP submitted: 23OCT
SP Reviewed: 02JAN19
RMAQ interview: 15MAR
RMAQ Rec: 15MAR
RFI: 28MAR
Field investigation: 24APR
PEP: 30MAY
PEP Rec: 05JUN
Psych: 17JUN
Psych follow up: 02JUL
Medical: 11JUL
Med Rec: 25JUL
SC:
Troop:

Caleb10
Veteran Member

Postby Caleb10 » Sun May 12, 2019 11:51 pm

This process is luck of the draw. Nobody knows if your deferal is making a difference or not. Keep waiting.
Police Officer

MichaelVAP
Rookie Member

Postby MichaelVAP » Tue May 14, 2019 2:17 pm

Silly question but, I already have both my restricted and unrestricted firearms license, still valid with no issues in the past. If/When I get a chance to go to the depot, will having my license allow me to fast track some of the basics or will I have to redo everything from scratch? Not a big deal if I have to do it over from scratch, was mainly curious about the matter.

On another note, will the RCMP allow me to bring supplements to the depot? I understand we are allowed to bring a chest so to speak and hide it under the bed which won’t be touched. But since these are standard supplements (calcium, protein, iron, potassium, etc...) and I’m not deficient, will they confiscate them?

Lastly, reading some news regarding Surrey turning in the RCMP and bringing in their own police force so to speak. This would eliminate the RCMP in that area I’m assuming. Other news outlets I read said this could cause a domino effect. Will this mean they may stop recruitment due to lack of positions or worse even if I get in and complete depot may be let go due to no positions available?

Sorry for the book
ON App
March 9th 2019 - Applied online
April 2nd 2019 - RPAB
April 16th 2019 - S/P received
April 19th 2019 - OLISS sent
April 20th 2019 - S/P sent
June 5th 2019 - S/P approved
June 24th 2019 - Clerical Test

Jon.
Grand Poobah

Postby Jon. » Tue May 14, 2019 2:40 pm

The PAL has no bearing on anything. You don't need one for the job. And don't correct your firearms facilitators when one of them says dumb shit like hollowpoints are prohibited and other things you know isn't true, or learned on the firearms safety courses.

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Tue May 14, 2019 2:49 pm

MichaelVAP wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:17 pm
Silly question but, I already have both my restricted and unrestricted firearms license, still valid with no issues in the past. If/When I get a chance to go to the depot, will having my license allow me to fast track some of the basics or will I have to redo everything from scratch? Not a big deal if I have to do it over from scratch, was mainly curious about the matter.

On another note, will the RCMP allow me to bring supplements to the depot? I understand we are allowed to bring a chest so to speak and hide it under the bed which won’t be touched. But since these are standard supplements (calcium, protein, iron, potassium, etc...) and I’m not deficient, will they confiscate them?

Lastly, reading some news regarding Surrey turning in the RCMP and bringing in their own police force so to speak. This would eliminate the RCMP in that area I’m assuming. Other news outlets I read said this could cause a domino effect. Will this mean they may stop recruitment due to lack of positions or worse even if I get in and complete depot may be let go due to no positions available?

Sorry for the book

Where to begin....

First, it's Depot (pronounced "Deh-po" as the French would say it), not "the depot".

Firearms training is the same for everyone, as are all aspects of training. The RCMP cannot account for what you may have been taught anywhere else, they train everyone the same so they can attest to what has been instructed in the event your actions at a later date require inquiry into why you did what you did. If anything you were taught previously is even remotely different than whatever they are teaching at Depot then it's not going to help you whatsoever.

You can use whatever legal supplements you want. Presumably to get to training you are supposed to be a responsible adult, the Force will expect/hope that you are going to be somewhat responsible about what/how much of something you put into your body. It's the same logic that they apply to the ice cream machine in the mess or the booze in the stand easy lounge, just don't be stupid about what choices you make.

Surrey will be a combination of a train wreck and a dumpster fire that will only look worse for the mayor the longer he pushes the issue. Even if he does manage to get the municipal force set up and operating, the cost vs. whatever his actual benefit ends up being will terrify any other municipalities from seriously considering it for a very long time. He'll likely never get provincial approval, and even if he did, he will also have to staff a huge number of positions to even be able to proceed, and there's no way they will lateral enough experienced members from other forces, let alone be able to screen and train enough new hires to cover any shortfall. It's a case of a deluded mayor with minimal understanding of the structures and economic forces he's up against.

There is ALWAYS a chance that any Cadet at any time might complete all aspects of the Cadet Training Program, graduate and still not be offered a job, I highly doubt that this will happen due to a lack of vacancies at any point in the foreseeable future.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

MichaelVAP
Rookie Member

Postby MichaelVAP » Tue May 14, 2019 3:30 pm

Thank you,

I appreciate the fast reply.
ON App
March 9th 2019 - Applied online
April 2nd 2019 - RPAB
April 16th 2019 - S/P received
April 19th 2019 - OLISS sent
April 20th 2019 - S/P sent
June 5th 2019 - S/P approved
June 24th 2019 - Clerical Test

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue May 14, 2019 7:28 pm

VanSmack wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:49 pm
MichaelVAP wrote:

Sorry for the book

Where to begin....

First, it's Depot (pronounced "Deh-po" as the French would say it), not "the depot".

Firearms training is the same for everyone, as are all aspects of training. The RCMP cannot account for what you may have been taught anywhere else, they train everyone the same so they can attest to what has been instructed in the event your actions at a later date require inquiry into why you did what you did. If anything you were taught previously is even remotely different than whatever they are teaching at Depot then it's not going to help you whatsoever.

You can use whatever legal supplements you want. Presumably to get to training you are supposed to be a responsible adult, the Force will expect/hope that you are going to be somewhat responsible about what/how much of something you put into your body. It's the same logic that they apply to the ice cream machine in the mess or the booze in the stand easy lounge, just don't be stupid about what choices you make.

Surrey will be a combination of a train wreck and a dumpster fire that will only look worse for the mayor the longer he pushes the issue. Even if he does manage to get the municipal force set up and operating, the cost vs. whatever his actual benefit ends up being will terrify any other municipalities from seriously considering it for a very long time. He'll likely never get provincial approval, and even if he did, he will also have to staff a huge number of positions to even be able to proceed, and there's no way they will lateral enough experienced members from other forces, let alone be able to screen and train enough new hires to cover any shortfall. It's a case of a deluded mayor with minimal understanding of the structures and economic forces he's up against.

There is ALWAYS a chance that any Cadet at any time might complete all aspects of the Cadet Training Program, graduate and still not be offered a job, I highly doubt that this will happen due to a lack of vacancies at any point in the foreseeable future.
:thumbsup:
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)

Shawshank
Poobah Overlord

Postby Shawshank » Tue May 14, 2019 9:56 pm

Jon. wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:40 pm
The PAL has no bearing on anything. You don't need one for the job. And don't correct your firearms facilitators when one of them says dumb shit like hollowpoints are prohibited and other things you know isn't true, or learned on the firearms safety courses.
Or go for it, it will be fun for the rest of the class.
K division.

John014
King Poobah

Postby John014 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:05 am

MichaelVAP wrote:

Sorry for the book
You should be sorry for the book... actually I have no idea what you mean by that.

I am trying to be nice and keep saying out loud that there is no such thing as a stupid question. I am though thinking that I am on a forum of people who want to be police officers and I remember that we are considered professionals who are called upon in court not to be dumb as balls. I also realize that I hate working with people who are stupid.

Please do not apply. The RCMP at the Depot will take your calcium and turn it over to Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum who will domino the RCMP out of business. I would hate for this to happen and need your illegal calcium not to ruin my career.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

Chronoclast17
Rookie Member

Postby Chronoclast17 » Wed May 15, 2019 3:18 pm

Just got the call for Troop 19 - Sept 9. :D
RCMP
Troop #19: 2019/09/09

Alex4594
Rookie Member

Postby Alex4594 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:44 pm