RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Patientapplicant
Seasoned Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Patientapplicant » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:02 pm

jrplumb wrote:
godin3311 wrote:
julesmjk wrote:I've been eyeing this forum for quite a while now, but this is my first post.
After a year and 11 months of waiting, I finally received that magical call and accepted unconditional offer for Troop 34.
I've heard so many people getting conditional offers nowadays with the delay, and am glad to say I won't have to worry about anything other than preparing for the cold winter in Regina!

To those of you who are waiting for SC, mine took four months (BC applicant).
Hang in there!
To other Troop 34 mates, I look forward to meeting you all in January!
I was told by my FC two weeks ago that there is a new policy in place. They are no longer offering conditional offers.....

Congrats BTW!!
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but is there such thing as an "UNconditional" offer anymore? Even after receiving all my clearances and accepting a Troop offer, my understanding is that the offer is still "conditional" based on my continued suitability and health. This (I'm assuming) continues on from now throughout my 26 week stay in Regina.
Everything is always conditional, even if you have secutity clearance and tomorow you commit a crime or break a leg it is done haha
RCMP QC applicant

Troop 33 - starting 21st of January 2019 :)
Graduation - 2019/07/22

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:14 pm

All the offer consists of is an opportunity to show up and participate in the Cadet Training Program. If you somehow in the period between the day they offer it to you and the day you are supposed to show up something happens causing;

a) a change in your ability to meet the basic requirements outlined at the very outset of your application which are outlined here:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/qualificat ... quirements

or,

b) a change in your ability to actively take part in all physical aspects of the Cadet Training Program - i.e. A broken leg, separated shoulder, torn ACL, cancer diagnosis, etc. - you may get your troop date pushed back to allow you to heal, but it's not a guarantee, and depending on the time passed you may need a new security clearance, medical evaluation and possibly more.

or,

c) Literally anything else that may come to light that isn't covered in the other two (I can't actually think of anything that would fall into this category, as the first point is pretty compare) that at the discretion of the Commissioner or her delegate would make someone unsuitable for the position based on reasonable grounds.

Even when you show up for training you aren't assured anything other than an opportunity to participate in the training. If you don't manage to perform to a passable standard then there's a plane ticket waiting for you. It is quite literally a 6 month job interview, and is more of an extension of the recruiting process than anything else.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

John014
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby John014 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:04 pm

jrplumb wrote: Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but is there such thing as an "UNconditional" offer anymore? Even after receiving all my clearances and accepting a Troop offer, my understanding is that the offer is still "conditional" based on my continued suitability and health. This (I'm assuming) continues on from now throughout my 26 week stay in Regina.
Even completing Depot and attending your first post is a conditional offer. I have personally observed people in the field who did not pass RFT and some that were canned before their 2 year probation period was up. After those two years you still are technically conditional and if you mess up really bad will lose your security clearance and also your job.

But at least if you get hurt after Depot we will give a bit of a shit.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

"We aren't putting fuckin pickles on burgers here" - Sgt. S.
Police Officer

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:17 pm

John014 wrote: But at least if you get hurt after Depot we will give a bit of a shit.
I won't.

Well, maybe I will, it will depend on the situation.

Your employment with the Force is actually conditional for your entire career. Ever member's continued employment is at the discretion of the Commissioner. If you suddenly find yourself in a situation where you don't meet those basic requirements I posted earlier the RCMP is not obligated to keep you around, and would pretty much satisfy "for cause" requirements for termination.

This shouldn't surprise anyone. The government is giving you a lawful authority to suspend citizens' liberties, carry prohibited weapons and the obligations associated with using lethal force on other human beings. It's not like working for your uncle's furniture store where you are guaranteed a job no matter what you do - at work or on your own time. Your integrity and reputation are all you have. If you lose those then there's not much use keeping you around.

As for the physical stuff, if you're physically unable to do the job then what would you expect to be kept on for? Sure there are mechanisms for accommodation for certain things, but ultimately you're looking at a medical discharge and whatever sort of pension that they work out through that.

Pretty much any normal job is conditional on a variety of factors.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

julesmjk
Rookie Member

Postby julesmjk » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:39 pm

Patientapplicant wrote:
jrplumb wrote:
godin3311 wrote: I was told by my FC two weeks ago that there is a new policy in place. They are no longer offering conditional offers.....

Congrats BTW!!
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but is there such thing as an "UNconditional" offer anymore? Even after receiving all my clearances and accepting a Troop offer, my understanding is that the offer is still "conditional" based on my continued suitability and health. This (I'm assuming) continues on from now throughout my 26 week stay in Regina.
Everything is always conditional, even if you have secutity clearance and tomorow you commit a crime or break a leg it is done haha

I was referring to the offer solely based on getting my SC, since people differentiated getting an offer before SC and after SC as unconditional and conditional before.
Now that the policy has changed to not getting offers unless you get your SC, I guess it can’t be used in that context anymore.

Second day after the call and the news is still sinking in :)
Troop 34 - Jan. 28. 2019

Pardeep Bir
Veteran Member

Postby Pardeep Bir » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:56 pm

[quote="julesmjk"]

Same troop :D
TROOP 34 1/28/19

shinee89
Rookie Member

Postby shinee89 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi everyone! I got an offer for Troop 34 as well. Has anyone got their itinerary yet? It has been 3 weeks but I haven't got mine yet.
Troop 34 - Jan.28th 2019

julesmjk
Rookie Member

Postby julesmjk » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:14 pm

shinee89 wrote:Hi everyone! I got an offer for Troop 34 as well. Has anyone got their itinerary yet? It has been 3 weeks but I haven't got mine yet.

My FC advised that flights are not booked until three weeks prior to start date, so it will come at the beginning of January.
See you there!!
Troop 34 - Jan. 28. 2019

Collector1257
Rookie Member

Postby Collector1257 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:18 am

Hi Everyone,

I will be in Troop #29 Commencing Dec 3rd, 2018 I am the process of booking the flights home for Christmas break at Depot to save a tiny bit of money by not waiting.

My question to you guys since it is a weekend and I cant ask my FC is;Are Dates for the break Dec 21st to the Dec 31st, 2018 Correct me if I am wrong it was told to me over the phone (I remember reading it here somewhere a well).

Does that mean after training Friday Dec 21st, or is it Friday a day off? Same Question I guess for Monday Dec 31st, 2018

My wife and Child will thank you.

Collector1257

OTDepot2
Rookie Member

Postby OTDepot2 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:28 am

Collector1257 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I will be in Troop #29 Commencing Dec 3rd, 2018 I am the process of booking the flights home for Christmas break at Depot to save a tiny bit of money by not waiting.

My question to you guys since it is a weekend and I cant ask my FC is;Are Dates for the break Dec 21st to the Dec 31st, 2018 Correct me if I am wrong it was told to me over the phone (I remember reading it here somewhere a well).

Does that mean after training Friday Dec 21st, or is it Friday a day off? Same Question I guess for Monday Dec 31st, 2018

Collector1257
I was able to ask my FC a couple weeks back about this when I got my date and got the following in response.

“As it stands right now, the last of training would be Friday, December 21st. You would be off from December 22-30, returning on Monday, December 31st. Please be advised that this is subject to change and you should confirm this once you are at Depot.“

So do with that as you will, I also asked someone I know at depot got the same response and booked my tickets on that information. I don’t blame you wanting to book early as Christmas ticket prices are insane. Good luck!

steen15

Postby steen15 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:30 am

Collector1257
Taken from another thread from the depot web account
"The 2018 holiday break will be the week of December 24. Classes are scheduled to end at 16:30 on Friday, December 21, and will resume at 08:00 on Monday, December 31."

MRKB

Postby MRKB » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:42 am

steen15 wrote:

Collector1257
Taken from another thread from the depot web account
"The 2018 holiday break will be the week of December 24. Classes are scheduled to end at 16:30 on Friday, December 21, and will resume at 08:00 on Monday, December 31."
And keep in mind curfew is 2300 on Sundays. Makes sure you are back in time.

Mike
Police Officer

trans277

Postby trans277 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:56 am

MRKB wrote:
And keep in mind curfew is 2300 on Sundays. Makes sure you are back in time.

Mike
Hey, Mike!!

Havent seen you on here in a while. How is depot now that you're over half way done? You must have your post and full kit by now right?

Any stuff you feel you should share for us applicants in our early phases?

cruiser14
Rookie Member

Postby cruiser14 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:43 pm

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hi and that I have officially applied this week! I stumbled upon this forum earlier today and have found the information very useful so far. I know that this is the start of a long journey and I can't wait to share this experience with you all. Are there any other islanders, or east coasters out there just beginning the application process? Would love to connect!

Thanks
PEI Applicant
Career Presentation - Oct 11/18
Applied - Nov 5/18
RPAB - Dec 5/18
SP Submitted - Feb 16/19
SP Recommended - Feb 22/19
SP Reviewed - Mar 14/19

jrplumb

Postby jrplumb » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:25 pm

cruiser14 wrote:Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hi and that I have officially applied this week! I stumbled upon this forum earlier today and have found the information very useful so far. I know that this is the start of a long journey and I can't wait to share this experience with you all. Are there any other islanders, or east coasters out there just beginning the application process? Would love to connect!

Thanks
I was previously an "islander"....but Vancouver Island not PEI haha! Buckle in for the ride, the application process can be a whirlwind of emotions! And good luck to you :thumbsup:
BC Applicant
App: April 2017
RPAT: April 2017
SP: May 2017
SP Reviewed: Aug 2017
RMAQ: Oct 2017
RMAQ Rec: Jan 2018
PEP: April 2018
PEP Rec: May 2018
Med: June 2018
Med Clearance: Aug 2018
BGI: Aug 2018