RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
baby_james
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby baby_james » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:01 pm

trans277 wrote:
baby_james wrote:Hey guys i've been a lurker for awhile now but figured I would post just because i have a couple non-consequential questions that I could use some opinions on. First off I would like to say I am willing to go anywhere in canada absolutely 100% however, with the pre-selection province ordinance would i be able to ask for British Colombia if I am from Alberta? And on the off chance I were to go to B.C. What would you figure the chances of me going to the lower mainland are? Again light hearted questions I was just curious about. Thanks for the help!

When I filled out my application, I was asked:

1) would you like your first posting out of depot to be in B.C.?
2) would you like your first posting out of depot to be in Alberta?
3) would you like your first posting out of depot to be in Saskatchewan
4) would you like your first posting out of depot to be in Manitoba

That's about all it goes. I said yes to all because I thought it was a dirty test from the rcmp about "willing to go anywhere"

Yeah I saw that too when I applied last year, I did the same.

baby_james
Rookie Member

Postby baby_james » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:06 pm

I also had a question regarding education. Now I heard from a recently retired member that without formal education such as a four year degree, career advancement may not be as plausible. I am uncertain of the validity of this but perhaps there are some people more informed on the subject.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:04 pm

VanSmack wrote:... You outlined the transition cadets have made since the days when Pete and his dinosaur were paid to go through training...

I loved feeding Steggy scraps from the Mess! He would have enjoyed a TH Hershey hot chocolate, but we only had Hudson Bay Wholesale hc machines then.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:14 am

baby_james wrote:Hey guys i've been a lurker for awhile now but figured I would post just because i have a couple non-consequential questions that I could use some opinions on. First off I would like to say I am willing to go anywhere in canada absolutely 100% however, with the pre-selection province ordinance would i be able to ask for British Colombia if I am from Alberta? And on the off chance I were to go to B.C. What would you figure the chances of me going to the lower mainland are? Again light hearted questions I was just curious about. Thanks for the help!

This question cannot be answered here sorry.
Your chances of going to the West are greater than going to the East due to numbers, however if you are the guy they say is going to BF Nowhere, then that is where you are going.

I know people who did not want the LMD and they are now here, I had troop mates who would have killed for anywhere in BC and are working in the "Dirty D". Your chances are anywhere from 0-100 to get where you want and the same to get where you don't want.

Hopefully you get in and get to where you want to go, but do not count on it as you will likely be disappointed.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

Silvaticus

Postby Silvaticus » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:39 am

I haven't posted for a while but I've continued to come back here to keep up with what's new.

Thank you for your post VanSmack. I am sure there are some others here, apart from myself, who have applied several times and get frustrated and discouraged when that deferral letter arrives for the second time. I personally keep those letters close to remind me how much time and effort I have already put into this, to keep getting better, and to prove that I belong there when I get there. Honestly, I have a great job with the Government already. I have an indeterminate appointment, lots of upward movement, great pay, great pension etc. I can happily continue on that path. But I am not going to. I could have applied in back in November of 2017 again, but I did not because of a little thing called mortgages and family. It would not have been smart.

Honestly it grates on me when I read posts on here about people who are not willing to sacrifice for the jobs they want. Or, think they should get a chance because they have some kind of PHD or something, or that they want to join but they don't want to live in place A or B or C, but would want to get posted to D. Essential Qualifications: "...MUST be willing to relocate anywhere in Canada." Not a difficult statement to comprehend. I've spoken with my wife and family about this at length and we're prepared and made a decision on this before I even applied the first time. It will be hard at first sure. I am worried how my children would handle it. However, I want to serve this country and I want to do that as an RCMP member.

I am not originally from Canada and I think that gives me a unique perspective. I've lived here for 15 years and have been a citizen for the last 5 years. I feel like I owe this country a debt for allowing me to be here. Sometimes I don't think we realize as Canadians how good we really have it compared to the rest of the world. That doesn't make us better than everyone else and we should not feel bad because of it. What we have in this country is fragile and it is worth protecting.

Please don't go into this career as "something I'll try" or "it's something to fall back on" or "the pay is great", or the "benefits are awesome" because I sure as hell am not. There are plenty of Federal jobs out there for you that give you the same thing.

Thank you for the soap box folks. I'll go back to my hidey hole now and continue preparing for the next stint.
RCMP SK APP
Online App 16/05/2019
S/P Sent 06/06/2019
RMAQ 09/10/2019
RFI 16/10/2019
BGI 28/10/2019
PEP 26/11/2019
PEP Rec 02/12/2019
Med/Psych 29/01/2020
Med Cleared 05/02/2020
Sec start 05/02/2020

baby_james
Rookie Member

Postby baby_james » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:25 am

John014 wrote:

This question cannot be answered here sorry.
Your chances of going to the West are greater than going to the East due to numbers, however if you are the guy they say is going to BF Nowhere, then that is where you are going.

I know people who did not want the LMD and they are now here, I had troop mates who would have killed for anywhere in BC and are working in the "Dirty D". Your chances are anywhere from 0-100 to get where you want and the same to get where you don't want.
Hopefully you get in and get to where you want to go, but do not count on it as you will likely be disappointed.

This was helpful thank you, I was just curious is all I would honestly go to tuktoyuktuk if thats where they wanted me and both my fiance and I agree that is super exciting.

baby_james
Rookie Member

Postby baby_james » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:26 am

VanSmack wrote:
baby_james wrote:I also had a question regarding education. Now I heard from a recently retired member that without formal education such as a four year degree, career advancement may not be as plausible. I am uncertain of the validity of this but perhaps there are some people more informed on the subject.

That person has no clue as to how the promotion process works. Perhaps when you're in the upper echelons as a commissioned officer you may want to have some sort of advanced degree in management or something to set you apart from the competition. The NCO promotion process doesn't have a box you tick to say you have an undergraduate degree in some completely unrelated field.

For promotional opportunities you first have to have the minimum service and a passing score on the JSE test (job simulation exercise).

A job will have a standardized competency profile for the role, each competency will have a rating from level 1-5. You will have two write two separate examples of a situation where you met the listed requirements for each competency profile to the level required for the job, i.e. If a job you want to apply for has 5 profiles listed you will need to provide 2 examples for each competency.

The levels for the competency are all laid out in the competency dictionary. So if you are required to write examples for your ability to conduct investigations to a level 3, you will have to go to that section of the dictionary and under level 3 there will be three or four lines of behaviour expected of someone operating at that level, your example will have to cover those points, and you will need to have someone who can verify that your example is legit.

When you apply for the job your examples go to a validation board who will either approve or reject each example. If your examples validate then you can continue to use them on other applications without having to go to committee again.

In addition to your competency examples you submit a covering letter and an application that has your supervisor's support. After everything is validated, the applications left standing will be filtered out- the top 7 scores from the JSE will go to a shortlist and then the hiring officer will identify the successful candidate and provide his rationale as to why.

There is no requirement for an undergraduate degree on any promotional advertisement I've ever seen.

Super helpful thank you. Maybe it's just my College teachers trying to push the degree program for reference I am currently taking criminal justice at Lethbridge College.

trans277

Postby trans277 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:47 am

baby_james wrote:Super helpful thank you. Maybe it's just my College teachers trying to push the degree program for reference I am currently taking criminal justice at Lethbridge College.

I took the same program. Enjoy it. I'm going back next semester since I want a better backup if the RCMP doesnt work out.

Husky
Rookie Member

Postby Husky » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:19 am

Received news this morning that my security clearance has been granted :D
J division - RCMP Constable

hdeo123
Rookie Member

Postby hdeo123 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:40 am

Husky wrote:Received news this morning that my security clearance has been granted :D

Congrats! Offer will be coming your way soon. Best of luck!

Patientapplicant
Rookie Member

Postby Patientapplicant » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:33 pm

Husky wrote:Received news this morning that my security clearance has been granted :D

There you go :)!

Congratulations
RCMP Cst.
J Division

miscaware
Rookie Member

Postby miscaware » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:09 am

Does anyone know if applications take longer if one was deferred in the past? My two year deferral ended Oct. 6th and I applied right away, but I still haven't received an email from a file coordinator yet. All I received was an email saying I may be eligible for reinsertion, which was almost 3 weeks ago. My application was a lot faster the first time I applied

Silvaticus

Postby Silvaticus » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:32 am

miscaware wrote:Does anyone know if applications take longer if one was deferred in the past? My two year deferral ended Oct. 6th and I applied right away, but I still haven't received an email from a file coordinator yet. All I received was an email saying I may be eligible for reinsertion, which was almost 3 weeks ago. My application was a lot faster the first time I applied

From my own personal experience it took several months for my reinsertion the last time. All I was told is that they had to retrieve my file from archives. Settle in for a wait. However, the process has changed since I applied last time as I did not apply using the Government of Canada jobs website. Here's to hoping that makes a difference.
RCMP SK APP
Online App 16/05/2019
S/P Sent 06/06/2019
RMAQ 09/10/2019
RFI 16/10/2019
BGI 28/10/2019
PEP 26/11/2019
PEP Rec 02/12/2019
Med/Psych 29/01/2020
Med Cleared 05/02/2020
Sec start 05/02/2020