RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Dave Brown » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:32 am

CBSA_Applicant_2017 wrote:IThe main issue that I was thinking about now which gives me cold feet is the non-employee status of Cadets during the Cadet Training Program (not actually having a job and the uncertainty) as well as the low pay during the CTP and for the next 1 year afterwards. Because personally it would be a huge risk to quit a well paying job (career) in order to work for less than minimum wage without any guarantee that there is even a job waiting. Something as simple as an injury during training or failing an exam/test/benchmark could result in Cadet termination and being sent home but without any benefits or recourse that employees would have, and then I would be unemployed and out of luck. So not sure what to do. Should I stay or should I go? Financially, job security, and life stability wise I should probably not go. My current 8 to 4 office job also has many internal opportunities and is very chill schedule and life balance wise so I'm just not sure what to do at this point, but I have to make a decision in the next month or so...[/b]

I think you are making the right decision. You are not right for this job.

If you read back posts in these forums, you will find that everyone with any experience in this area says, time after time after time, IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO GO ANYWHERE IN CANADA AND DO ANYTHING THEY ASK OF YOU, THEN DON'T APPLY TO THE RCMP OR CBSA.

These organizations will do the best they can to accommodate, but you will go where operational needs dictate, not where your future family or career ambitions lie. We have also said, many many times, that the RCMP DOES NOT HIRE YOUR FAMILY; THEY HIRE YOU.

Considering every single one of your posts have asked about salary and you have stated that people in your field outside of the RCMP or CBSA can make $300K a year, all I suggest is to go for it, and leave the spot for someone who is truly motivated toward a career with the RCMP or CBSA. You are obviously not. I can't think of a single person in these forums in all the years they have been in existence to accuse the RCMP of paying below minimum wage when paying cadets during training. Most are happy to get on, and everyone is delighted to get paid ANYTHING, considering the COST of your training can easily exceed $30,000 if you needed to duplicate it anywhere else.

So, based on what you are getting in training for free, I guess you would have gotten paid WAY more than minimum wage.

But, good luck in your future career. You are not right for this job, so pursue your degree. We all wish you well. You sound like a person who would be miserable to ride beside in a patrol car for 12 hours a day anyway.

Patientapplicant
Rookie Member

Postby Patientapplicant » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:15 am

CBSA_Applicant_2017 wrote:

TL;DR: The main issue that I was thinking about now which gives me cold feet is the non-employee status of Cadets during the Cadet Training Program (not actually having a job and the uncertainty) as well as the low pay during the CTP and for the next 1 year afterwards. Because personally it would be a huge risk to quit a well paying job (career) in order to work for less than minimum wage without any guarantee that there is even a job waiting. Something as simple as an injury during training or failing an exam/test/benchmark could result in Cadet termination and being sent home but without any benefits or recourse that employees would have, and then I would be unemployed and out of luck. So not sure what to do. Should I stay or should I go? Financially, job security, and life stability wise I should probably not go. My current 8 to 4 office job also has many internal opportunities and is very chill schedule and life balance wise so I'm just not sure what to do at this point, but I have to make a decision in the next month or so...

By what you are saying you have already answered if you should or not go. You wouldn't hesitate to go if it is what you truly wanted.

Last thing you want is to be there and leave within the first two weeks because of your afterthoughts.

Many members got their training without pay and took loans to make it through. They would probably take offense to this.

With the lenght of the application process we are given time to change our financial habits and store money away for our own security if we were given this opportunity. Which I highly suggest everyone doing.

In the end, the best gift you can offer yourself is to pursue what you truly want.
RCMP Cst.
J Division

Temmin
Rookie Member

Postby Temmin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:14 am

Patientapplicant wrote:For the ones that are going to depot between november and march, and also anyone who is willing to share advice :)

What are you packing or suggesting to bring for Regina winter "survival" ? Haha :D

Long underwear, wool socks, face mask and etc.

I heard through the branches that winter is somewhat cold there haha.

Thank you :D

Here I thought this would be no problem for someone from Quebec as my assumption has always been they have cold winters... in Southern BC we don’t even know what winter is! Lol

I have figured out my running gear which is pretty well identical to Kermode but trying to find a suitable jacket for trips to town or the like is a struggle for me as I am not sure what is appropriate. The “warmest” winter jacket I have ever needed in 31 years has been a snowboard jacket with light sweater underneath for the coldest days on the mountain while skiing/snowboarding. Any suggestions on a good all around warm jacket? I tend the run warm anyhow and remove anything thick once I’m indoors as I heat up fast.

Temmin
Rookie Member

Postby Temmin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:19 am

CBSA_Applicant_2017 wrote:I also got "the call” which as it turns out is literally a phone call. Set to go to Depot very soon, but now I am having second thoughts.

Everything you posted should’ve been known while you were going through the process or prior to applying anyhow. It’s all available on the RCMP website. You clearly didn’t do your research and think it through before making such a major decision. Might want to research for your future 300k career, I think?

This... or your an excellent troll.

MattAlmonds
Rookie Member

Postby MattAlmonds » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:08 am

CBSA_Applicant_2017 wrote:I also got "the call” which as it turns out is literally a phone call. Set to go to Depot very soon, but now I am having second thoughts. It seems the actual engagement papers and the Cadet Training Agreement are signed on the first day when reporting to Depot, although I would have liked to see what the Cadet Training Agreement says in its current version ahead of time. Because the devil is always in the details.

Initially I was under the impression that there was a condition in place allowing pre-posting to the Western provinces such as BC. However, it seems the official mobility or transfer policy says that the posting can be anywhere in Canada to suit the needs of the RCMP. The other thing that surprised me is that it also says that any personal situations may not be considered in terms of human resources management purposes during future employment. This isn’t a huge deal for me right now but it might be in the future if there’s no personal consideration as to where postings happen or when.

The major deciding factor for me is the pay. The Cadet Recruitment Allowance I think works out to around $400 something a week after taxes and deductions. Considering the hours, this is definitely below minimum wage. But it seems that Cadets are considered students and not employees so this means that they can be underpaid as well as cut loose at any moment and sent home; including if they get injured during training and cannot complete the CTP.

A person could break an arm or a leg during training or become injured and consequently unfit to finish training and potentially be sent home without compensation. I haven’t seen the soon-to-be-signed Cadet Training Agreement which outlines RCMP and Cadet Responsibilities, but I did see an older version of the Cadet Training Handbook on the internet that said:

“Termination of the Cadet Training Agreement
The Cadet Training Officer at the Training Academy, or the Human Resource Officer of a Division where development training is provided, may terminate a Cadet Training Agreement :

if the cadet fails to meet established assessment criteria;
if the cadet fails to meet or abide by any requirements, regulations, policy, procedures or conditions set out in the Cadet Training Handbook or by the Commanding Officer of the Training Academy;
if the cadet becomes ill or sustain injury during the training period and, as a result of such illness or injury are, in the opinion of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, unable to successfully complete the program;
if the cadet becomes involved in any activity which may bring discredit to the Cadet Training Program or the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, including without limitation being charged with a criminal or quasi-criminal offence or are involved in misconduct of any kind including without limitation, threats, harassment, physical abuse or psychological abuse, cheating, drug and alcohol abuse;
if the RCMP becomes aware, whether as a result of its ongoing investigations concerning your application or by other means, that you may not receive an Enhanced reliability or Secret security clearance or meet other conditions of engagement;
if the cadet's behaviour or performance brings to light a mental or emotional (psychological) condition that would interfere with your carrying out the tasks and requirements of a General Duty Constable;"

Since the Cadet Training Program at the RCMP Academy “Depot” is considered a post-secondary training program type of arrangement, there are no comprehensive benefits (and no pensionable service) or other protections that employees would get. The other thing is that the amount of the Cadet Recruitment Allowance becomes repayable and can be sent to CRA for collections if someone resigns either during the CTP or within the 2 year probationary period afterwards. I don’t think many people realize that quitting either during training or within 2 years after training puts them on the hook for the allowance cost, although the maximum amount wouldn’t be more than worst case about $12,000. For Probationary Members, an older version of the training agreement stated that the RCMP will recover the entire amount of the Cadet Recruitment Allowance paid while enrolled as a Cadet in the Cadet Training Program if employment as an RM ceases during the two-year probationary period for any of the following reasons: resignation;… discharge or demotion for unsatisfactory performance.

You can read more about the Cadet Recruitment Allowances here since this Report also goes into detailed statistics in terms of the Cadets and specific year-to-year recruitment numbers.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/evaluation ... owance-cra

TL;DR: The main issue that I was thinking about now which gives me cold feet is the non-employee status of Cadets during the Cadet Training Program (not actually having a job and the uncertainty) as well as the low pay during the CTP and for the next 1 year afterwards. Because personally it would be a huge risk to quit a well paying job (career) in order to work for less than minimum wage without any guarantee that there is even a job waiting. Something as simple as an injury during training or failing an exam/test/benchmark could result in Cadet termination and being sent home but without any benefits or recourse that employees would have, and then I would be unemployed and out of luck. So not sure what to do. Should I stay or should I go? Financially, job security, and life stability wise I should probably not go. My current 8 to 4 office job also has many internal opportunities and is very chill schedule and life balance wise so I'm just not sure what to do at this point, but I have to make a decision in the next month or so...

If you would have spent 10 minutes reading both these forums and the OFFICIAL RCMP careers webpage BEFORE or during the initial stages of your application, none of this would be such a shock to you. Instead you let them spend countless hours & $ getting you to the point where they're ready to have you come to Depot, and THEN decide if you seriously want this career or not. Give me a break :twitch:
AB
App: Oct 2016
Entrance Exam: Nov 2016
SP: Dec 2016
SP Reviewed: Jul 2017
RMAQ: Aug 2017
PEP: Nov 2017
PEP Follow: Dec 2017
PEP Rec: Jan 2018
BGI: Jan 2018
Med: Feb 2018
Psych: Feb 2018
SC: (STARTED in February or March I think?? Awaiting results...)

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:34 pm

CBSA_Applicant_2017 wrote:I also got "the call” which as it turns out is literally a phone call. Set to go to Depot very soon, but now I am having second thoughts. It seems the actual engagement papers and the Cadet Training Agreement are signed on the first day when reporting to Depot, although I would have liked to see what the Cadet Training Agreement says in its current version ahead of time. Because the devil is always in the details.

Initially I was under the impression that there was a condition in place allowing pre-posting to the Western provinces such as BC. However, it seems the official mobility or transfer policy says that the posting can be anywhere in Canada to suit the needs of the RCMP. The other thing that surprised me is that it also says that any personal situations may not be considered in terms of human resources management purposes during future employment. This isn’t a huge deal for me right now but it might be in the future if there’s no personal consideration as to where postings happen or when.

The major deciding factor for me is the pay. The Cadet Recruitment Allowance I think works out to around $400 something a week after taxes and deductions. Considering the hours, this is definitely below minimum wage. But it seems that Cadets are considered students and not employees so this means that they can be underpaid as well as cut loose at any moment and sent home; including if they get injured during training and cannot complete the CTP.

A person could break an arm or a leg during training or become injured and consequently unfit to finish training and potentially be sent home without compensation. I haven’t seen the soon-to-be-signed Cadet Training Agreement which outlines RCMP and Cadet Responsibilities, but I did see an older version of the Cadet Training Handbook on the internet that said:

The Cadet Training Officer at the Training Academy, or the Human Resource Officer of a Division where development training is provided, may terminate a Cadet Training Agreement :

if the cadet fails to meet or abide by any requirements, regulations, policy, procedures or conditions set out in the Cadet Training Handbook or by the Commanding Officer of the Training Academy;
if the cadet becomes ill or sustain injury during the training period and, as a result of such illness or injury are, in the opinion of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, unable to successfully complete the program;
if the cadet becomes involved in any activity which may bring discredit to the Cadet Training Program or the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, including without limitation being charged with a criminal or quasi-criminal offence or are involved in misconduct of any kind including without limitation, threats, harassment, physical abuse or psychological abuse, cheating, drug and alcohol abuse;
if the RCMP becomes aware, whether as a result of its ongoing investigations concerning your application or by other means, that you may not receive an Enhanced reliability or Secret security clearance or meet other conditions of engagement;
if the cadet's behaviour or performance brings to light a mental or emotional (psychological) condition that would interfere with your carrying out the tasks and requirements of a General Duty Constable;"

Since the Cadet Training Program at the RCMP Academy “Depot” is considered a post-secondary training program type of arrangement, there are no comprehensive benefits (and no pensionable service) or other protections that employees would get. The other thing is that the amount of the Cadet Recruitment Allowance becomes repayable and can be sent to CRA for collections if someone resigns either during the CTP or within the 2 year probationary period afterwards. I don’t think many people realize that quitting either during training or within 2 years after training puts them on the hook for the allowance cost, although the maximum amount wouldn’t be more than worst case about $12,000. For Probationary Members, an older version of the training agreement stated that the RCMP will recover the entire amount of the Cadet Recruitment Allowance paid while enrolled as a Cadet in the Cadet Training Program if employment as an RM ceases during the two-year probationary period for any of the following reasons: resignation;… discharge or demotion for unsatisfactory performance.

You can read more about the Cadet Recruitment Allowances here since this Report also goes into detailed statistics in terms of the Cadets and specific year-to-year recruitment numbers.

Quoting for posterity, not just for the info of others THINKING of applying, nor just those already in the process, nor just for my future review, but more importantly for Depot instructors that are forum members and review posts.

In addition to EVERYONE ELSE that has dumped on you, I am going to climb to the top of the Depot flag pole to jump from it and perform a Deadpool-impressed superhero-landing on the dogpile already trying to suffocate you.

Call Recruiting back, apologize for wasting their time, and go back to whatever else you were working at. IF in fact you were with CBSA, I shudder.

To ANYONE who has EVER wondered why VanSmack and I come across as less than lovingly huggable and herbal-tea-infused, THIS IS BLOODY-WELL WHY!

If I get a PM from ANYONE other than a member of the Force (active or retired) or one of the Admins or Mods, questioning my sanity, I WILL post it for ridicule purposes.

Do NOT thank, praise, high-five, quote, or refer to this post of mine UNLESS you are one of the above I mentioned.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

hdeo123
Rookie Member

Postby hdeo123 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:33 pm

Why waste so much time and resources.. keep your high paying job + security of it. If I got the “call”- I Am prepared to leave my business (which is generating a lot more money than I will make as a cop) in heart beat and give it my best at Depot because I know what I want.

trans277

Postby trans277 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:26 pm

CBSA_Applicant_2017 wrote:Some of the comments here are quite harsh and personal...I certainly didn’t intend to offend anyone.
I thought perhaps this was a safe forum space…and no I am not trolling.

The comments are harsh because everyone on this forum would give their left nut to get the opportunity to go to depot and have wanted to go for a long time. (I myself spent $5000 on eye surgey just so I could apply, not get in)

So when you come here and you got the opportunity handed to you and then go off about why it's a bad job, why its risky, you want more from the RCMP then you can imagine why the rest of us get pissed.

Patientapplicant
Rookie Member

Postby Patientapplicant » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:10 pm

trans277 wrote:
CBSA_Applicant_2017 wrote:Some of the comments here are quite harsh and personal...I certainly didn’t intend to offend anyone.
I thought perhaps this was a safe forum space…and no I am not trolling.

The comments are harsh because everyone on this forum would give their left nut to get the opportunity to go to depot and have wanted to go for a long time. (I myself spent $5000 on eye surgey just so I could apply, not get in)

So when you come here and you got the opportunity handed to you and then go off about why it's a bad job, why its risky, you want more from the RCMP then you can imagine why the rest of us get pissed.

I also did surgery as I had no choice if I wanted to apply. But it is one of the best investments I made on myself haha. Can you agree when I say that there is nothing like waking up and seeing your alarm clock without all the scrambling to reach for your glasses haha!
RCMP Cst.
J Division

Melanie1
Seasoned Member

Postby Melanie1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:16 pm

Tough crowd tough crowd.
It can be a very scary decision to make, to change your entire life circumstances with no certainty and no guarantee.
Leaving a job for this can be very risky, scary, intense but if it is something you truly want... you take the leap of faith if you are in the right position. Not everyone is ready to go at any second of the day. Some are not finically stable as others are, some aren’t ready to go with personal situations with family. Everyone has a different story. The process can be so long that by the time you reach the end... your life might be entirely different. You may have been single with no cares in the world and now you might be married with small children. That can effect your decision. You may have been healthy and younger, ready to go and maybe not that anymore. Maybe you were unemployed while applying and now in a great secure career that might not be the best position to leave it all behind. Everyone is different. You are suppose to live your life as if you never applied... and sometimes life gets in the way of your dream.
It is very risky to leave a job with great pay, great work/family balance, great benefits, great pension... leaving all that behind for Depot can be so incredibly scary.... but as everyone in this forum has mentioned at one point... it is worth it.
Worth it.
CX

baby_james
Rookie Member

Postby baby_james » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:27 pm

Hey guys i've been a lurker for awhile now but figured I would post just because i have a couple non-consequential questions that I could use some opinions on. First off I would like to say I am willing to go anywhere in canada absolutely 100% however, with the pre-selection province ordinance would i be able to ask for British Colombia if I am from Alberta? And on the off chance I were to go to B.C. What would you figure the chances of me going to the lower mainland are? Again light hearted questions I was just curious about. Thanks for the help!

trans277

Postby trans277 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:44 pm

baby_james wrote:Hey guys i've been a lurker for awhile now but figured I would post just because i have a couple non-consequential questions that I could use some opinions on. First off I would like to say I am willing to go anywhere in canada absolutely 100% however, with the pre-selection province ordinance would i be able to ask for British Colombia if I am from Alberta? And on the off chance I were to go to B.C. What would you figure the chances of me going to the lower mainland are? Again light hearted questions I was just curious about. Thanks for the help!

When I filled out my application, I was asked:

1) would you like your first posting out of depot to be in B.C.?
2) would you like your first posting out of depot to be in Alberta?
3) would you like your first posting out of depot to be in Saskatchewan
4) would you like your first posting out of depot to be in Manitoba

That's about all it goes. I said yes to all because I thought it was a dirty test from the rcmp about "willing to go anywhere"

redder
Rookie Member

Postby redder » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:48 pm

baby_james wrote:Hey guys i've been a lurker for awhile now but figured I would post just because i have a couple non-consequential questions that I could use some opinions on. First off I would like to say I am willing to go anywhere in canada absolutely 100% however, with the pre-selection province ordinance would i be able to ask for British Colombia if I am from Alberta? And on the off chance I were to go to B.C. What would you figure the chances of me going to the lower mainland are? Again light hearted questions I was just curious about. Thanks for the help!

No one can answer that question with any level of confidence apart from staffing once you get to that stage in Depot. And even then - as has been mentioned several times - they will send you where they need you.
AB Applicant

Troop #4: 2019/04/29

Temmin
Rookie Member

Postby Temmin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:00 pm

trans277 wrote:
When I filled out my application, I was asked:

1) would you like your first posting out of depot to be in B.C.?
2) would you like your first posting out of depot to be in Alberta?
3) would you like your first posting out of depot to be in Saskatchewan
4) would you like your first posting out of depot to be in Manitoba

That's about all it goes. I said yes to all because I thought it was a dirty test from the rcmp about "willing to go anywhere"

Odd... When I applied back in Sept 2017 I don't recall this question being in my package. Maybe it is something new? Or I just don't remember it.