RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Temmin
Rookie Member

Re: First Posting

Postby Temmin » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:03 pm

Tjdg44 wrote:Hi folks,

I guess this question is geared more towards recruiters or recent grads of depot...

Are the majority of first postings likely to be western divisions (F,K and E)?

I’m pretty sure I read that about 3/4 of the postings are Western Canada. Just curious if that’s still the case.

I’m an Ontario applicant and I am just waiting for my suitability review to be completed so my wife and I are starting to think about where we might end up...at least on what side of this country.

Cheers eh
Although I am not a recruiter or recent grad the topic has been discussed at length. See 12 posts previous to yours by Pete Broccolo for an answer regarding where you might end up. As for numbers, yes there are more members in the Western Divisions.

Tjdg44
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Tjdg44 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:54 pm

I did read quite a few posts before asking the question, including Peter’s.

Thanks for trying to help though. I was hoping to hear from someone at depot now who would obviously have the best idea. I don’t think I’m going out on a limb in guessing that is a common topic at the water cooler ;)
Troop #2 - April 8, 2019

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:25 pm

Tjdg44 wrote:I did read quite a few posts before asking the question, including Peter’s.

Thanks for trying to help though. I was hoping to hear from someone at depot now who would obviously have the best idea. I don’t think I’m going out on a limb in guessing that is a common topic at the water cooler ;)
Not much chance of you getting posted to Ontario, or anywhere East of the MB / ON border.

Elbow is a nice place.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
MPPAC & NPF supporter
Husband, Dad, F-I-L, & Grampa

VanSmack

Re: First Posting

Postby VanSmack » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:17 am

I guess this question is geared more towards recruiters or recent grads of depot...

I’m pretty sure I read that about 3/4 of the postings are Western Canada. Just curious if that’s still the case.

I’m an Ontario applicant and I am just waiting for my suitability review to be completed so my wife and I are starting to think about where we might end up...at least on what side of this country.

Cheers eh
Recruiters have nothing to do with where people get posted, in most cases once the Cadet's application file is complete recruiters have no idea where that Cadet may be. Staffing at Depot is responsible for liaising with divisional staffing to determine the number of vacancies, their location, and the priority to staff those positions.

Generally speaking O and C Divisions have put a stop to taking new hires absent any specialized skills, such as forensic accounting.

The fact that the overwhelming majority of the Force is posted to Western provinces means that these are the places where the majority of the vacancies will occur. Add in to that the fact that a lot of those members posted west are from east and that many are trying to get posted closer to home and it means that there's even less demand to the east for new hires than there is in the West, as an experienced member is always more valuable to a detachment than a new hire.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

Craigeritz
Veteran Member

Postby Craigeritz » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:53 pm

Tjdg44 wrote:I did read quite a few posts before asking the question, including Peter’s.

It's a common topic but it is also impossible to answer the way people want. The available divisions evolve constantly. K div could be closed (or only accepting 1-2 cadets) per troop for the next 2 months and then go on a blitz and take 10/troop for a while. It all depends on the needs in each division. Get used to generalizations in this area. If nothing else it keeps things interesting haha.
AB
PRK surgery: 8/11/2016
Online Application: 11/17/2016
SP: 1/13//2017
RMAQ: 8/28/2017
PEP: 1/09/2018
PEP review call: 1/17/18
PEP rec: 3/13/18
PSYCH: 3/19/18
MED: 4/6/18-- 6/11/18
BGI: 3/19/18
FSR: 4/9/2018- 6/4/18
SC: 6/4/18- --8/8/2018
Troop 16

MRKB

Postby MRKB » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:57 pm

Cheers eh
I'll throw in an answer here as well. Unless you have a special skill or training put Ontario out if your mind. You will just be disappointed. Now for the fun part. The RCMP will make their best effort to return cadets from Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and BC to their home province if they want it. That puts you lower on the list for those places. Lets say you get a troop that has 10 from BC (mine has 15). That means you aren't going to BC. Then lets say there are 5 from Alberta. Alberta has cut their numbers back so only a handful, if that, are going there per troop. So that means you aren't going to Alberta. You can kiss the maritimes goodbye since there will be a few from there in your troop and they probably want to go back. Soooo..... Take your pick between Manitoba and Saskatchewan.... The troop across the hall from me just got told what is open to them for postings. 10 are going to Saskatchewan or Manitoba.

My troop is full of people that are going to be disappointed. 2 from Manitoba, 0 from Saskatchewan and 1 (me) from Alberta. They will try and put as many as they can in BC but some are slowly coming to the realization that the prairies are their future. We have a bunch from Ontario and Quebec and they have the same future coming. Luckily I am the only one from Alberta so I should be going home. The guy that did our first talk on postings said "You plus a few of your friends are going to Alberta". I know Alberta is getting 15 cadets in October and that is a big month for there.

From day one they have been stressing in every class and every presentation that people need to be open to going to Saskatchewan as there is a big push for numbers there. Vacancy rate is high and they are going to fill the spots. If this isn't something you and your family can live with just save yourself the time now.

Btw if you go through training then get a posting you just can't live with and quit you have to reimburse the RCMP everything you have been paid for training. It would suck to have no job and a bill for $8,000 or more.
Police Officer

Craigeritz
Veteran Member

Postby Craigeritz » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:43 pm

You summarized things pretty well.
I believe 4 of my troop are from alberta- myself included. I do not expect to be going back due to the situations of my troop mates... and that's looking beyond my family situation that would normally guarantee my return to alberta. However, things do change daily, it's just the way of the road. So it will be interesting to see what the trend is in a few months.

As Pete and many others have said-you're agreeing to go anywhere in Canada. You can have all the necessary requirements for national but still end up in a little house on the prairie. End of the day you're either upset or happy about your first post but that choice is entirely what you decide to make of it.
AB
PRK surgery: 8/11/2016
Online Application: 11/17/2016
SP: 1/13//2017
RMAQ: 8/28/2017
PEP: 1/09/2018
PEP review call: 1/17/18
PEP rec: 3/13/18
PSYCH: 3/19/18
MED: 4/6/18-- 6/11/18
BGI: 3/19/18
FSR: 4/9/2018- 6/4/18
SC: 6/4/18- --8/8/2018
Troop 16

trans277

Postby trans277 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:28 pm

MRKB wrote:

I'll throw in an answer here as well. Unless you have a special skill or training put Ontario out if your mind. You will just be disappointed. Now for the fun part. The RCMP will make their best effort to return cadets from Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and BC to their home province if they want it. That puts you lower on the list for those places. Lets say you get a troop that has 10 from BC (mine has 15). That means you aren't going to BC. Then lets say there are 5 from Alberta. Alberta has cut their numbers back so only a handful, if that, are going there per troop. So that means you aren't going to Alberta. You can kiss the maritimes goodbye since there will be a few from there in your troop and they probably want to go back. Soooo..... Take your pick between Manitoba and Saskatchewan.... The troop across the hall from me just got told what is open to them for postings. 10 are going to Saskatchewan or Manitoba.

My troop is full of people that are going to be disappointed. 2 from Manitoba, 0 from Saskatchewan and 1 (me) from Alberta. They will try and put as many as they can in BC but some are slowly coming to the realization that the prairies are their future. We have a bunch from Ontario and Quebec and they have the same future coming. Luckily I am the only one from Alberta so I should be going home. The guy that did our first talk on postings said "You plus a few of your friends are going to Alberta". I know Alberta is getting 15 cadets in October and that is a big month for there.

From day one they have been stressing in every class and every presentation that people need to be open to going to Saskatchewan as there is a big push for numbers there. Vacancy rate is high and they are going to fill the spots. If this isn't something you and your family can live with just save yourself the time now.

Btw if you go through training then get a posting you just can't live with and quit you have to reimburse the RCMP everything you have been paid for training. It would suck to have no job and a bill for $8,000 or more.
I wish these people who dont wanna live more than 20 minutes from home would actually answer HONESTLY on the initial application. I very clearly remember saying yes to "ANYWHERE IN CANADA". An honest answer would save you a lot of disappointment and let the actual applicants move forward more quickly.

I hope the recruiters pick up on people like this and scrap them early before they use The RCMP as a stepping stone for more competitive Muni departments...

Tjdg44
Rookie Member

Postby Tjdg44 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:48 am

MRKB wrote:

Cheers eh

This is great stuff, thanks guys. Like I said, I’m just looking for some info from the people actually at depot who are seeing the trends. I know things are bound to change at anytime but I still want to at least start to explore possibilities.

Personally, I love the idea of serving anywhere in this country but that’s not for everyone I guess. Congrats to all the people who got to depot...I’m not too far off I hope. Just starting my suitability review now.
Troop #2 - April 8, 2019

vk1994
Rookie Member

Postby vk1994 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:16 pm

Hello RCMP Recruiting.
I have tried to find the answer for my question; however, I couldn't. I would like to ask, how long does it usually take for the RCMP recruiting officer to send you the forms to fill out after you submitted your online application?
Thank you!

trans277

Postby trans277 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:34 pm

vk1994 wrote:Hello RCMP Recruiting.
I have tried to find the answer for my question; however, I couldn't. I would like to ask, how long does it usually take for the RCMP recruiting officer to send you the forms to fill out after you submitted your online application?
Thank you!
Under 4 weeks.

jossboss
Rookie Member

Postby jossboss » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:22 pm

Hey guys. Quick question.
Is anyone from the Greater Toronto Area attending the PARE workshop in Brampton on October 30th @ 6PM?
I'm thinking of doing it since I am leaving for Depot on the 4th of November but I am coming from Oshawa, which is about 1hr east with perfect driving conditions. Plus an injury would NOT be good.
Ont App
App: Jan 2017
SP: Apr 2017
SP Rev: Jun 2017
RMAQ: Aug 2017
PEP: Dec 2017
PEP Follow: Feb 2018
PEP Rec: Feb 2018
BGI: Mar 2018
Psych: April 2018
Medical: Apr 2018
Psych Follow: May 2018
FR: Jul 2018
Med Rec: July 2018
SC: Pending
Troop: Pending SC

steen15

Postby steen15 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:53 pm

jossboss wrote:Hey guys. Quick question.
Is anyone from the Greater Toronto Area attending the PARE workshop in Brampton on October 30th @ 6PM?
I'm thinking of doing it since I am leaving for Depot on the 4th of November but I am coming from Oshawa, which is about 1hr east with perfect driving conditions. Plus an injury would NOT be good.
If you've never done one, I say go for it. You don't have to push yourself and risk injury, just treat it as a dry run and get familiar with the course. On the other hand, if you have done one, there is little to be gained by doing it so close to leaving for Depot.

hdeo123

Postby hdeo123 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:59 pm

Hi Guys, Anyone familiar or heard of the new policy change in recruiting? Applicants are no longer given conditional offers based on having medical/suitability clearance? Not that it really matters but just trying to see if anyone knows anything. How does it effect the applicants who have been given conditional troop?

jossboss
Rookie Member

Postby jossboss » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:21 pm

steen15 wrote:
jossboss wrote:Hey guys. Quick question.
If you've never done one, I say go for it. You don't have to push yourself and risk injury, just treat it as a dry run and get familiar with the course. On the other hand, if you have done one, there is little to be gained by doing it so close to leaving for Depot.
You're absolutely right!. I figured maybe I will go to see what time I get. I did one last year at 3:26. I also thought maybe I could connect with people leaving for Depot soon or going through the hiring process.
Ont App
App: Jan 2017
SP: Apr 2017
SP Rev: Jun 2017
RMAQ: Aug 2017
PEP: Dec 2017
PEP Follow: Feb 2018
PEP Rec: Feb 2018
BGI: Mar 2018
Psych: April 2018
Medical: Apr 2018
Psych Follow: May 2018