RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
alimartin
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby alimartin » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:00 pm

stribor45 wrote:I am curious as to what happens when members has to move due to relocation do families stay behind or move away as well...
If the relocation is always reality every few years spouse would probably never be able to hold on steady job?

Most families relocate with the member, though I know of a few spouses who have chosen to stay behind for a set period of time to advance their career while their member spouse went to a shorter duration post. Many posts are 4-5 year commitments, and in larger areas a member can easily be posted there longer. It can interfere with the spouse's career, but doesn't have to.

Depot Web
Rookie Member
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan

Postby Depot Web » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:01 pm

alimartin wrote:Depot Web, are you able to tell us the specific dates of the Christmas break at Depot this year?

The holiday should be December 26 to 30 with classes resuming on January 2.

Schedules are subject to change.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division

alimartin
Rookie Member

Postby alimartin » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:17 pm

Depot Web wrote:
alimartin wrote:Depot Web, are you able to tell us the specific dates of the Christmas break at Depot this year?

The holiday should be December 26 to 30 with classes resuming on January 2.

Schedules are subject to change.

Thank you! I figured but wanted to double check

SullyGT
Rookie Member

Postby SullyGT » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Hi everyone, just a simple question about the application. For the 2 passport photos, is there a dress code of sorts recommended? Smile or no smile? I'm just wondering what type of purpose the photos are for, just to have an idea.
BC

APP: 2016-04-26
RPAB: 2016-06-06
SP: 2016-07-08
RMAQ: 2016-09-19
PEP: 2016-11-14
PEP REC: 2016-12-15
BGI: 2017-01
MED: 2017-01-13
PSYCH: 2017-01-03
MED REC: 2017-01-19
FS: 2017-02
SC: 2017-03-07 --> 03-23
Troop #3 April 24 [offered 2017-03-08]

lawtont
Rookie Member

Postby lawtont » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:49 pm

I didn't smile. It becomes the photo attached to your file for ID purposes and security clearance I do believe.

On a much happier note, got the call for my telephone RMAQ....it's at 6:00 a.m. in 2 weeks - which is wild and wonderful. Fortunately, Starbucks is also open too... :swords:
Online App: MAY 19 2016
SP Request: MAY 31 2016
SP Completed: JUNE 1 2016
RMAQ: JULY 4 2016
PEP:
BGI:
SC:
MED:
PSYC:
TROOP :

dpgholi
Rookie Member

Postby dpgholi » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:04 pm

lawtont wrote:I didn't smile. It becomes the photo attached to your file for ID purposes and security clearance I do believe.

On a much happier note, got the call for my telephone RMAQ....it's at 6:00 a.m. in 2 weeks - which is wild and wonderful. Fortunately, Starbucks is also open too... :swords:

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, where are you applying out of? Province lol.
MB Applicant
Online App: 2016/10/19
RPAB: 2016/11/19
SP: 2016/12/07
SP Sent: 2016/12/17
RMAQ Review:
PEP:
PEP REC:
BGI:
PSYCH/MED:
SUIT:
SC:
TROOP:

lawtont
Rookie Member

Postby lawtont » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:10 pm

The Texas of Canada... :D
Online App: MAY 19 2016
SP Request: MAY 31 2016
SP Completed: JUNE 1 2016
RMAQ: JULY 4 2016
PEP:
BGI:
SC:
MED:
PSYC:
TROOP :

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:17 pm

dpgholi wrote:
lawtont wrote:I didn't smile. It becomes the photo attached to your file for ID purposes and security clearance I do believe.

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, where are you applying out of? Province lol.

When I did mine, the call was coming from Alberta to Ontario. My background investigator was in White Horse I think. My
File coordinators were in Regina, and i realized they worked 9-5 est, so not to expect communication outside those hours. So, in many ways we are all out of province applicants.
K division.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:18 pm

lawtont wrote:The Texas of Canada... :D

Can-Texas.
K division.

oldunclehue
Seasoned Member

Postby oldunclehue » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:18 pm

[quote="stribor45"]I am curious as to what happens when members has to move due to relocation do families stay behind or move away as well...
If the relocation is always reality every few years spouse would probably never be able to hold on steady job?[/quote
Last edited by oldunclehue on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rialto
Rookie Member

Postby Rialto » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:34 pm

JunkyardDog wrote:
Rialto wrote:What is "Depot episode of CourageInRed" ? Could someone please fill me in? :)

I attended a college an hour north of Calgary, and the majority of the kids that attended that college were from out of province due to it having such specialized programs. It was a 2 1/2 year old program for the one I was in, and about 20% of the kids end up leaving within the first month due to realizing how hard the program actually was... then another 20% people wouldn't return after the summer. The kids that dropped out, it had been their first time away from home.

Attending depot, you are bettering your life. A life with the RCMP. I can totally understand how it could be hard for someone with young kids. That's tough to leave them for that length of time. But their life will benefit from your choice to leave for 6 months <3 :)

File Update: My selection package has been submitted :)

Go on YouTube and search for Courage in Red - Depot. It's like a short documentary that follows a cadet through the CTP, pretty interesting.

Thanks! Now that my selection package is done, I can watch this, and the new series of Orange is the new black :)
RCMP
SP 2012 closed my file
Reinstated: May 23/16
SP: Aug.15
RMAI: Aug. 23
PEP: Oct 11
BGI: Feb 28
Med: Mar 28
Psy: May 2
DEPOT: July - October. (Sent home due to a knee injury)

Racer_2
Rookie Member

Postby Racer_2 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:40 pm

Shawshank wrote:
dpgholi wrote:

When I did mine, the call was coming from Alberta to Ontario. My background investigator was in White Horse I think. My
File coordinators were in Regina, and i realized they worked 9-5 est, so not to expect communication outside those hours. So, in many ways we are all out of province applicants.

I was waiting for news in between that timeframe till my polygraphist contacted me at 11 on a sunday night. Indeed he's not from the force, but you can sometimes expect some surprises hahahaha.
QC Applicant CBSA
Applied - Jan 15th 2018
SLE - Done already
GTC2 & WCPT - Feb 18
PARE - April 18
Interview - May 18
Sec. Forms - May 18
Psych - May 18
Medical - June 18
Sec. Int - November 18
OITP - February 18th 2019
Rigaud 13D - April 8th 2019

JunkyardDog
Rookie Member

Postby JunkyardDog » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:48 pm

oldunclehue wrote:
stribor45 wrote:I am curious as to what happens when members has to move due to relocation do families stay behind or move away as well...
If the relocation is always reality every few years spouse would probably never be able to hold on steady job?

My wife had had 5 jobs in 10 years, moved around 4 times. Should be able to settle now but it can be a huge issue if she wants to have a career/pension/benefits. But I've heard the "we didn't hire your spouse" before line....so choose wisely!

What about a civilian member role for your spouse, like a detachment assistant? I guess they'd have to be interested in having that as a career but from what I've seen, it's pretty fair compensation. Would it be easy for him/her to get transferred between postings as you go?

alimartin
Rookie Member

Postby alimartin » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:41 pm

JunkyardDog wrote:
oldunclehue wrote:

My wife had had 5 jobs in 10 years, moved around 4 times. Should be able to settle now but it can be a huge issue if she wants to have a career/pension/benefits. But I've heard the "we didn't hire your spouse" before line....so choose wisely!

What about a civilian member role for your spouse, like a detachment assistant? I guess they'd have to be interested in having that as a career but from what I've seen, it's pretty fair compensation. Would it be easy for him/her to get transferred between postings as you go?

They would have to reapply at each post, which is of course dependent on a vacancy.

Some places (like Surrey for instance) are hiring for 911, records, etc several times a year. Other smaller detachments may not be. Already having the clearance as your spouse moves from place to another certainly couldn't hurt in the process, but it's still all dependent on vacant positions and your spouse's ability to get themselves hired.

Smaller detachments do the hiring through RCMP, but others are hired through the municipality (like Surrey), so it isn't just a matter of transferring so to speak.

JunkyardDog
Rookie Member

Postby JunkyardDog » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:15 pm

Yeah, I figured. It's an avenue my girlfriend has recently been exploring. She's in the fitness industry right now but with some of the possible postings across Canada, it would likely be difficult to continue down that path lol.