RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Pete Broccolo

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Pete Broccolo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:21 am

KaterGator wrote:I passed my vision exam during the pre-screen with my optometrist, but he did mention I was nearing the border of not passing, and he did let me squint a little.

I have a laser eye consultation next week that I was iffy with following through on, because I know having it increases my chances for eye injuries in such a physical career. I guess now reading that my vision will be retested in the med clearance stage, and that it could defer me (and having been deferred once already), looks like I'll be following through.

Anyone else done laser for the hiring process? I'm nervous about the procedure (I know it's really painless), but it's moreso the concept of a laser cutting at my eyeball while I'm awake that makes me jittery.

My son had laser eye surgery back in 2006, and has been at a couple of sleepy posts now (3+ years at Onion Lake SK, and approaching 2 years now in Mascwacis AB) where he has had to intervene in the odd argument now and then, but seems to be doing not bad.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

jpsingh
Rookie Member

Postby jpsingh » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:29 am

Hi KG

I had laser PRK surgery 6 years ago. Results are just phenomenal. It is very safe and efficient these days.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Good Luck

JS

KaterGator
Rookie Member

Postby KaterGator » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:42 am

jpsingh wrote:Hi KG

I had laser PRK surgery 6 years ago. Results are just phenomenal. It is very safe and efficient these days.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Good Luck

JS

Any insight on recovery time? Did you have to do any retreatment? How's your night vision? Are you at 20/20 now?

I go for my consult next week and I'm sure I could ask these Qs, but sometimes getting it from an outside source is nice and reassuring.
ON Applicant
REINSERTION NOTICE: 10-JUN-16
REC'D SP: 16-JUN-16
SP SENT: 21-JUN-16
RMAQ: 05-DEC-16
PEP:
PEP REC:
BGI -
PSYCH/MED -
SUIT -
SC -
TROOP -

ninja_assassin
Rookie Member

Postby ninja_assassin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:11 pm

KaterGator wrote:I passed my vision exam during the pre-screen with my optometrist, but he did mention I was nearing the border of not passing, and he did let me squint a little.

I have a laser eye consultation next week that I was iffy with following through on, because I know having it increases my chances for eye injuries in such a physical career. I guess now reading that my vision will be retested in the med clearance stage, and that it could defer me (and having been deferred once already), looks like I'll be following through.

Anyone else done laser for the hiring process? I'm nervous about the procedure (I know it's really painless), but it's moreso the concept of a laser cutting at my eyeball while I'm awake that makes me jittery.

I went for a laser consultation so I could apply for the RCMP but ended up going with another procedure, IOL/ICL, for many reasons... mostly because of a higher prescription but I recovered the next day with better than 20/20.

Anyways, all this info I got from a friend who had it done and from the consultaiton as my procedure was very different: for laser they make a cut on your eyeballs with a machine so the chances of the flap detaching are lower than before when it was cut by the surgeon. They use local anestetic so you won't feel a thing and your vision will black out for a few seconds and then it's done. For the vision forms it says you have to wait like a month or two before you can get it signed off after laser but if you get it done and with the length of the process I'm thinking you should be all good. Hope this helps.
RCMP "E" Div Cst.

Online app 2016-03
Conditional offer 2016-10
Troop 20 Oct 24, 2016 - May 1, 2017

jpsingh
Rookie Member

Postby jpsingh » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:20 pm

My recovery time was around 2 weeks but it took around 2 months to get the stable vision. My night vision is fine as of March this year. My left eye is 15/20 ( better than 20/20) and right eye is 20/20.
If you're in BC then London Eye Centre (New Westminster) is a good place to go for a consultation.

Hopefully I answered all of your questions. Let me know if you have any other question.

Good Luck

JS

JunkyardDog
Rookie Member

Postby JunkyardDog » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:22 pm

nktan87 wrote:It's okay Law75 I just got deferred as well..... I see it as a blessing in disguise, keep trying, apply for other departments, someone will eventually accept you. Good luck to all other applicants. Wood and Junk best of luck guys, hope you succeed with RCMP!

Sorry to hear nktan. I was deferred before too, don't worry, time flies!

Best of luck to you in the future.

KaterGator
Rookie Member

Postby KaterGator » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:32 pm

jpsingh wrote:My recovery time was around 2 weeks but it took around 2 months to get the stable vision. My night vision is fine as of March this year. My left eye is 15/20 ( better than 20/20) and right eye is 20/20.
If you're in BC then London Eye Centre (New Westminster) is a good place to go for a consultation.

Hopefully I answered all of your questions. Let me know if you have any other question.

Good Luck

JS

Thanks JS! SW Ontario here though. I'm going to TLC which my doc recommended so we will see. Will def be following through as long as they give me the green light. Isn't optional if I'm committed to this career. Laser in my eyes makes me squimish, kinda like a dentist's hand in my mouth, but will completely be worth it.

Thanks all!
ON Applicant
PEP:
PEP REC:
BGI -
PSYCH/MED -
SUIT -
SC -
TROOP -

virtualblue
Rookie Member

Postby virtualblue » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:19 pm

KaterGator wrote:
jpsingh wrote:My recovery time was around 2 weeks but it took around 2 months to get the stable vision. My night vision is fine as of March this year. My left eye is 15/20 ( better than 20/20) and right eye is 20/20.

Good Luck

JS

Thanks JS! SW Ontario here though. I'm going to TLC which my doc recommended so we will see. Will def be following through as long as they give me the green light. Isn't optional if I'm committed to this career. Laser in my eyes makes me squimish, kinda like a dentist's hand in my mouth, but will completely be worth it.

Thanks all!

Nooo don't go TLC. Do Lasik MD. I had mine done November 27th, 2015. Full lasik (custom wavefront), and I have better than 20/20 now. Lasik MD was about $150 cheaper per eye, and the warranty is much better. TLC is not located west of Ontario, so if you have any requirements for corrections, you need to get yourself there on your own dime, and you can't fly right away, so you end up spending a day or so in location. If you want to PM me I can give you the whole low down on the procedure; literally took seconds for both eyes to be done.
NS Applicant
Online App: 17 May 16
SP: 23 Jun 16
SP Sent:
RMAQ:
PEP:
BGI:
SC:
MED:
PSYC:

Law75!
Rookie Member

Postby Law75! » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:31 pm

Sorry to hear that you have been deferred also nktan87!

I did contact the FC and she said she was mistaken about vision, apparently my vision is fine. It is some other medical reason. I am trying to find out what. I am wondering if there is something to do with my health that is an issue, why I can't know what that is? Or maybe the psych?

Did anyone else get deferred for medical and NOT know why they were deferred?

How can I get it fixed if I don't know?

Thanks again for the support and wishing you all good luck!

alimartin
Rookie Member

Postby alimartin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:59 pm

Law75! wrote:Sorry to hear that you have been deferred also nktan87!

I did contact the FC and she said she was mistaken about vision, apparently my vision is fine. It is some other medical reason. I am trying to find out what. I am wondering if there is something to do with my health that is an issue, why I can't know what that is? Or maybe the psych?

Did anyone else get deferred for medical and NOT know why they were deferred?

How can I get it fixed if I don't know?

Thanks again for the support and wishing you all good luck!

Try calling the Health Services Coordinator (I'm sure you've received emails from them, number is likely in their signature).

The FC is almost certainly not privy to any medical information. Whether or not the HSC can disclose who knows. Ill send you a pm.

mrm164
Rookie Member

Postby mrm164 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:47 pm

Hello,

Applying from NL, Just wondering if anyone here is in the St. John's area and is currently in the Medical stage? If so, just looking for some rough time lines? (ie: how long to schedule appointments? how long for Health Services to get back to you?)

Thanks, Matt
Newfoundland Applicant

Reinsertion request accepted: 9-Dec-15
SP Submitted: 30-Dec-15
RMAQ Interview: 15-Jan-16
RMSI Passed: 4-Mar-16
PEP: 29-April-16
PEP Results: 13-June-16-Passed
Medical and Psych test:24-June-16 CLEARED 26-July-16

bainne
Rookie Member

Postby bainne » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:46 am

Pete Broccolo wrote: has been at a couple of sleepy posts now (3+ years at Onion Lake SK, and approaching 2 years now in Mascwacis AB) where he has had to intervene in the odd argument now and then

:twitch:

:ponder:

JunkyardDog
Rookie Member

Postby JunkyardDog » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:40 am

mrm164 wrote:Hello,

Applying from NL, Just wondering if anyone here is in the St. John's area and is currently in the Medical stage? If so, just looking for some rough time lines? (ie: how long to schedule appointments? how long for Health Services to get back to you?)

Thanks, Matt

Look on the last page, the3wood is applying out of St.Johns, NL.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:21 am

bainne wrote:
Pete Broccolo wrote: has been at a couple of sleepy posts now (3+ years at Onion Lake SK, and approaching 2 years now in Mascwacis AB) where he has had to intervene in the odd argument now and then

:twitch:

:ponder:

Remember, kids: always ensure that your Sar-Cas-O-Metre is set to "grumpy retired RCMP"!
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

KaterGator
Rookie Member

Postby KaterGator » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:04 pm

When you open your email and have something from the RCMP, and are scared and excited all at the same time.

Thisssss girl got her instructions for her SP! :swords:

(Anyone know if that means my reinsertion is approved?)
ON Applicant
PEP:
PEP REC:
BGI -
PSYCH/MED -
SUIT -
SC -
TROOP -