RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
ericclarke
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby ericclarke » Mon May 30, 2016 4:16 pm

denft5 wrote:
ericclarke wrote:Received the call early this morning for Troop 7 (June 13 - Nov 28).

Very surreal, happy and overwhelming but the wait was worth it!
Excited and nervous. Good luck everyone :)

Congratulations! Good luck with your training! :D 8)

Thank you very much! Good luck the rest of the way for you as well.

denft5
Rookie Member

Postby denft5 » Mon May 30, 2016 5:24 pm

Thanks Ericclarke,

I just did the RMAQ review. I feel nervous about it to be honest. All I can do is hope for the best I guess.
Online App: April 4/2016
SP - Sent May 24/2016
RMAQ- May 30/2016
PEP - July 13/2016
PEP REC - August 13/2016
BGI -
PSYCH -
SUIT -
MED -
SC -

virtualblue
Rookie Member

Postby virtualblue » Mon May 30, 2016 5:36 pm

denft5 wrote:Thanks Ericclarke,

I just did the RMAQ review. I feel nervous about it to be honest. All I can do is hope for the best I guess.

Honestly the RMAQ/PEP is the only thing that makes me nervous - like, do they mean have you EVER done anything bad? What about when you were a kid? What if you've got baggage and such? Trying to be as honest as possible, sometimes it doesn't print a very pretty picture.
NS Applicant
Online App: 17 May 16
SP: 23 Jun 16
SP Sent:
RMAQ:
PEP:
BGI:
SC:
MED:
PSYC:

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon May 30, 2016 5:49 pm

virtualblue wrote:

Honestly the RMAQ/PEP is the only thing that makes me nervous - like, do they mean have you EVER done anything bad? What about when you were a kid? What if you've got baggage and such? Trying to be as honest as possible, sometimes it doesn't print a very pretty picture.

Tell them EVERYTHING. The questions are have you EVER done... They will decide if it matters or not. If you don't tell them something, they will find out when you are hooked to the machine and you WILL b booted, possibly for something that wouldn't have mattered if you had just told them the truth.
K division.

virtualblue
Rookie Member

Postby virtualblue » Mon May 30, 2016 6:03 pm

Shawshank wrote:Tell them EVERYTHING. The questions are have you EVER done... They will decide if it matters or not. If you don't tell them something, they will find out when you are hooked to the machine and you WILL b booted, possibly for something that wouldn't have mattered if you had just told them the truth.

Well, you fill out the forms, send them off, then they call to confirm/discuss what you have? Hypothetically a kid is molested/abused as a child, is that considered incest? Or maybe they got in a fight at school standing up to a bully, does that count as violence? Debt, does that include things like owning a car/house with mortgage or loan payments?

I've read over and filled out most of the questions, but discussing them would be a big help in my book.
NS Applicant
SP Sent:
RMAQ:
PEP:
BGI:
SC:
MED:
PSYC:

azims
Veteran Member

Postby azims » Mon May 30, 2016 6:09 pm

tyler.stpierre92 wrote:I recently submitted my selection package. When I wrote my entrance exam I was told I would be exempted from fitness testing an the interview is this a normal thing?

I'm also looking for any advise moving forward. Working with the RCMP has been a dream of mine since I was a little boy.

Yes that is normal. What isn't normal is that fact that are you applying to the RCMP and you don't even know that there have been changes made to the selection process. Advice would be to do a little research before posting a question here. If you went on to the RCMP website under the careers tab, you would know that PARE and RMSI have been omitted from the sel. process. Now I wonder why......

virtualblue
Rookie Member

Postby virtualblue » Mon May 30, 2016 6:14 pm

azims wrote:
tyler.stpierre92 wrote:I recently submitted my selection package. When I wrote my entrance exam I was told I would be exempted from fitness testing an the interview is this a normal thing?

I'm also looking for any advise moving forward. Working with the RCMP has been a dream of mine since I was a little boy.

Yes that is normal. What isn't normal is that fact that are you applying to the RCMP and you don't even know that there have been changes made to the selection process. Advice would be to do a little research before posting a question here. If you went on to the RCMP website under the careers tab, you would know that PARE and RMSI have been omitted from the sel. process. Now I wonder why......

Azims, what's your take: low applicant numbers, too many people failing, cuts to the budget, or something else?
NS Applicant
SP Sent:
RMAQ:
PEP:
BGI:
SC:
MED:
PSYC:

denft5
Rookie Member

Postby denft5 » Mon May 30, 2016 6:21 pm

virtualblue wrote:
Shawshank wrote:Tell them EVERYTHING. The questions are have you EVER done... They will decide if it matters or not. If you don't tell them something, they will find out when you are hooked to the machine and you WILL b booted, possibly for something that wouldn't have mattered if you had just told them the truth.

Well, you fill out the forms, send them off, then they call to confirm/discuss what you have? Hypothetically a kid is molested/abused as a child, is that considered incest? Or maybe they got in a fight at school standing up to a bully, does that count as violence? Debt, does that include things like owning a car/house with mortgage or loan payments?

I've read over and filled out most of the questions, but discussing them would be a big help in my book.

I totally understand your point! The best thing about the review is that you are allowed to ask questions to clarify things you are not sure about as well as edit the informations you have provided. The only thing that sucks though is that you are left overthinking everything you have said during the interview and pointing it as a cause for deferral. Argh :ponder: :banghead: :mrgreen:
Online App: April 4/2016
SP - Sent May 24/2016
RMAQ- May 30/2016
PEP - July 13/2016
PEP REC - August 13/2016
BGI -
PSYCH -
SUIT -
MED -
SC -

virtualblue
Rookie Member

Postby virtualblue » Mon May 30, 2016 6:31 pm

denft5 wrote:
virtualblue wrote:

I totally understand your point! The best thing about the review is that you are allowed to ask questions to clarify things you are not sure about as well as edit the informations you have provided. The only thing that sucks though is that you are left overthinking everything you have said during the interview and pointing it as a cause for deferral. Argh :ponder: :banghead: :mrgreen:

I'm completely convinced that's the only place I could get a deferral....which I'm curious, do they actually say 'why' outright?
NS Applicant
SP Sent:
RMAQ:
PEP:
BGI:
SC:
MED:
PSYC:

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon May 30, 2016 6:44 pm

virtualblue wrote:

On the forms it clearly states that you do not have to mention sex crimes where you were the victim. If you read the forms you are filling out, it explains what they want.
K division.

virtualblue
Rookie Member

Postby virtualblue » Mon May 30, 2016 6:57 pm

Shawshank wrote:
On the forms it clearly states that you do not have to mention sex crimes where you were the victim. If you read the forms you are filling out, it explains what they want.

Hence the hypothetical, whether there were sex crimes, assaults as a minor, etc. I'm aware even saying 'hypothetical' doesn't shake off the fact that just asking these questions tends to paint an unsavoury picture. That's not what I'm trying to do, I seriously want to know how that kind of stuff is handled is all.

I could be wrong, but don't the RMAQ and PEP go hand in hand? So if you feel guilty over something, you'd get flagged, even if it was not necessarily you trying to hide something? Make any sense?

I plan on being upfront and open, and I really don't plan on it being a comfortable experience. After all, how introspective are most people really? Everyone's done bad things. I know Caroline mentioned that they aren't looking for perfect people, but who knows the line that gets you a deferral? I think being honest shouldn't be a problem, but at the same time it's a little daunting.

Thanks for reading the blurb...I'm nowhere's close to my pep and whatnot, but I tend to overanalyze sometimes, I apologise for that.
NS Applicant
SP Sent:
RMAQ:
PEP:
BGI:
SC:
MED:
PSYC:

alimartin
Rookie Member

Postby alimartin » Mon May 30, 2016 7:03 pm

Virtual- if you're "completely convinced" this is the only reason you might get a deferral, I think you might want to really look at just how competitive this process is. I had someone in recruiting tell me the ratio of applicants received to those accepted is 15:1, and this was after application numbers dropped and the ones that didn't meet hearing and vision requirements were weeded out. There are many, many competitive applicants who will get deferred. Your confidence is good, but try to be realistic.

Also, there's an entire thread debating why they changed it and theories, and several pages of it on this thread already (dating back to when the changes took place).

ericclarke
Rookie Member

Postby ericclarke » Mon May 30, 2016 7:05 pm

Don't be nervous. Just be truthful. It's all you can do. Own up to anything from your past. They look for honest people, not perfect people! If you have nothing to hide there's nothing to worry about.

virtualblue
Rookie Member

Postby virtualblue » Mon May 30, 2016 7:14 pm

alimartin wrote:Virtual- if you're "completely convinced" this is the only reason you might get a deferral, I think you might want to really look at just how competitive this process is. I had someone in recruiting tell me the ratio of applicants received to those accepted is 15:1, and this was after application numbers dropped and the ones that didn't meet hearing and vision requirements were weeded out. There are many, many competitive applicants who will get deferred. Your confidence is good, but try to be realistic.

Also, there's an entire thread debating why they changed it and theories, and several pages of it on this thread already (dating back to when the changes took place).

Please forgive my phrasing then - how about 'the only place I'm worried about'? I was going back through some old posts such as the Ask a recruiter and a few others, and I thought I read somewhere that if you fail the PEP you might not get deferred you just can't reapply at all? If I get deferred; well, improve and try again.

As for the bit about the changes, I know...I was asking Azims specifically his thoughts because of the way he phrased his comment 'Now I wonder why...'
NS Applicant
SP Sent:
RMAQ:
PEP:
BGI:
SC:
MED:
PSYC:

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon May 30, 2016 7:15 pm

virtualblue wrote:
Shawshank wrote:

Hence the hypothetical, whether there were sex crimes, assaults as a minor, etc. I'm aware even saying 'hypothetical' doesn't shake off the fact that just asking these questions tends to paint an unsavoury picture. That's not what I'm trying to do, I seriously want to know how that kind of stuff is handled is all.

I could be wrong, but don't the RMAQ and PEP go hand in hand? So if you feel guilty over something, you'd get flagged, even if it was not necessarily you trying to hide something? Make any sense?

I plan on being upfront and open, and I really don't plan on it being a comfortable experience. After all, how introspective are most people really? Everyone's done bad things. I know Caroline mentioned that they aren't looking for perfect people, but who knows the line that gets you a deferral? I think being honest shouldn't be a problem, but at the same time it's a little daunting.

Thanks for reading the blurb...I'm nowhere's close to my pep and whatnot, but I tend to overanalyze sometimes, I apologise for that.
K division.