RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
alimartin
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby alimartin » Mon May 23, 2016 7:32 pm

robertwarren wrote:Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the forum but I have a question about my RCMP application.

I took my polygraph last week and I have a followup conversation soon to discuss my results. The phone call is with a recruiting civilian investigator... is that normal? I was under the impression that the recruiter would just give me the results. I was brutally honest throughout the entire process so I am not too worried about the results but I am nervous as to why an investigator would be giving me the results.

The call you'll get tomorrow will almost certainly not be your PEP recommendation. The person who writes the report has your polygraph results and likey needs to clarify something. I believe once their report is written it goes on to an NCO for decision, and it is your file coordinator that informs you.

I should add that "results" and "recommendation" (as used in your timeline signature) are different things.

PinkFox5
Rookie Member

Postby PinkFox5 » Mon May 23, 2016 7:55 pm

Sunrise wrote:Just thought I'd give a quick follow-up to my search for cheap hearing and vision exams. I found one in Vancouver that will do hearing for $55 which is definitely less than I was quoted at a couple other places. I'd post the name of the place but I don't know if that's against forum rules since I've seen links to businesses removed here. Do your research people, it'll pay off :alright:

Now off to find cheap vision...

Did you find cheap vision? I'm just re-starting my journey. I found one in Mission that bills direct for the vision test. But I haven't had much luck with direct billing for the hearing test.
BC Female applicant

Vision testing - May 24/16
Hearing testing -
Online App -
SP -
RMAQ -
PARE - n/a
RMSI -
PEP -
PEP Recommendation -
BGI -
Med/Psych -
SR -
MC -
SC -

oldunclehue
Seasoned Member

Postby oldunclehue » Mon May 23, 2016 7:57 pm

Sunrise wrote:
oldunclehue wrote:
Azalin wrote:Hey guys,

Ex cadet here, had to leave due to some family issues as well as personal injury. Looking to return shortly now that things are back in place. If anyone has any questions about Depot I can do my best to answer anything.

Imagine if we had a ask a Member section of the applicants sub forum.

I'd be interested in the replies for sure!

Cadet viewpoint =/= recruiter's viewpoint. The guy's trying offer some info, why you gotta tear him down?

And plus, nobody has responded to that thread in weeks. It's pretty much dead until Caroline comes back and answers the questions since no one else is allowed to give them.

Where did I tear him down, I was saying I wonder if we had an ask a member sub forum what some of the replies would be. When I went to Depot we had a guy who had to leave after medical in his first try, he came back a second time with us and was a great resource for us guys. I'm sure this guy can answer most questions better than us members who haven't been there in a while.

I was curious to see what type of questions/responses we could get for all sorts of questions on here if there was an ask a member. I think it would be great, but I doubt they would allow it with fear that members being too honest would scare off potential candidates!

PinkFox5
Rookie Member

Postby PinkFox5 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:12 pm

I thought I'd post a quick intro for myself. I haven't delved too far into the other forums, this seems to be a good source of info so far.

This is my second time around, the first time I was deferred due to an incident when I was a LPO. With the recent changes, I'm trying again! I went to an info session in Surrey last week and I'm checking out the PARE info session this Saturday.

I'm holding off submitting my application because I'm not quite at the three year mark for clearing a bankruptcy and don't want to get another deferral. :?

In the meantime I'm getting my ducks in a row for what I need. How long are vision and hearing tests good for? And the degree transcripts?

Edit - from searching it looks like 2 years validity for vision. Think it's still the case? The question I saw Caroline answer was 100+ pages ago and I think in 2014?
BC Female applicant

Hearing testing -
Online App -
SP -
RMAQ -
PARE - n/a
RMSI -
PEP -
PEP Recommendation -
BGI -
Med/Psych -
SR -
MC -
SC -

azims
Veteran Member

Postby azims » Mon May 23, 2016 10:13 pm

oldunclehue wrote:
oldunclehue wrote:

Imagine if we had a ask a Member section of the applicants sub forum.

I'd be interested in the replies for sure!

Cadet viewpoint =/= recruiter's viewpoint. The guy's trying offer some info, why you gotta tear him down?

And plus, nobody has responded to that thread in weeks. It's pretty much dead until Caroline comes back and answers the questions since no one else is allowed to give them.

Where did I tear him down, I was saying I wonder if we had an ask a member sub forum what some of the replies would be. When I went to Depot we had a guy who had to leave after medical in his first try, he came back a second time with us and was a great resource for us guys. I'm sure this guy can answer most questions better than us members who haven't been there in a while.

I was curious to see what type of questions/responses we could get for all sorts of questions on here if there was an ask a member. I think it would be great, but I doubt they would allow it with fear that members being too honest would scare off potential candidates!

That was my initial thought as well..
Last edited by azims on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sunrise
Rookie Member

Postby Sunrise » Mon May 23, 2016 10:14 pm

oldunclehue wrote:
Sunrise wrote:
oldunclehue wrote:

Alright I gotta apologize. I totally read your original post wrong. I thought you were being sarcastic and alluding to the Ask an RCMP Recruiter thread. Sorry for that.

Sunrise
Rookie Member

Postby Sunrise » Mon May 23, 2016 10:17 pm

PinkFox5 wrote:In the meantime I'm getting my ducks in a row for what I need. How long are vision and hearing tests good for? And the degree transcripts?

Edit - from searching it looks like 2 years validity for vision. Think it's still the case? The question I saw Caroline answer was 100+ pages ago and I think in 2014?

Caroline recently answered that vision is good for 2 years and hearing is good for 1 year.

PinkFox5
Rookie Member

Postby PinkFox5 » Tue May 24, 2016 12:16 am

Thanks Sunrise.
BC Female applicant

Hearing testing -
Online App -
SP -
RMAQ -
PARE - n/a
RMSI -
PEP -
PEP Recommendation -
BGI -
Med/Psych -
SR -
MC -
SC -

azims
Veteran Member

Postby azims » Tue May 24, 2016 12:23 am

PinkFox5 wrote:I thought I'd post a quick intro for myself. I haven't delved too far into the other forums, this seems to be a good source of info so far.

This is my second time around, the first time I was deferred due to an incident when I was a LPO. With the recent changes, I'm trying again! I went to an info session in Surrey last week and I'm checking out the PARE info session this Saturday.

I'm holding off submitting my application because I'm not quite at the three year mark for clearing a bankruptcy and don't want to get another deferral. :?

In the meantime I'm getting my ducks in a row for what I need. How long are vision and hearing tests good for? And the degree transcripts?

They do run checks on your credit score /history twice during the application process and bankruptcy might have a negative impact on it....But as long as you had a legitimate reason for taking out a loan in the first place ,It shouldnt look that bad

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue May 24, 2016 9:32 am

A brief reading of this thread will show that active, and (ruggedly handsome, highly intelligent, slightly shy and somewhat withdrawn) retired, Regular Members frequently jump in here with info, along with (formerly shaggy haired) DepotWeb, who is a Civilian Member at Depot.

There have been, and will continue to be, posts from the above members that have a (somewhat) sarcastic or brutal edge. As stated many times, if THAT bothers you NOW, life in the saddle will be EXTREMELY caustic to your skin.

The Force is facing massive changes, due to the pending Association and the (hopefully) improvements to pay, discipline, staffing and equipment issues that we have faced, and the continuing challenges of recruiting in competition with OPP, SQ and the FN and Municipal PS.

However, it is still you women and men that have to prove you are good enough to make into, and through, basic training, then to remain in the Force, per the assessment of the recruiters, Depot trainers, field trainers, Unit Commanders and, more importantly, the public.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

Azalin
Rookie Member

Postby Azalin » Tue May 24, 2016 10:20 am

Sunrise wrote:

Ex cadet here, had to leave due to some family issues as well as personal injury. Looking to return shortly now that things are back in place. If anyone has any questions about Depot I can do my best to answer anything.

Hey Azalin, how long were you in Depot for? And how long ago?

What is the most difficult thing at Depot, in your perception, that you experienced?

Thanks for offering some insight.

I was in Depot for around the 12 week mark; so not a long time by any stretch. However, at this point you basically know how Depot runs, the do's and the dont's, the necessity of time management.

When you get to Depot the facilitators will fill you in on a lot of the going arounds and what to expect, but every recruit has their own experiences. Personally, our troop was one of the worst ones they had seen in 10 years lol. Our troop actually had a meeting with the Commanding Officer, who basically wanted to know wtf was going on; and why we couldn't get our shit together. We were a mess; and a lot of people left training ( 7 within a month and a half when I think the standard is 1-3 recruits in 6 MONTHS!). So for me, my hardest experience at Depot was the morale and teamwork; my troop had neither which makes for a long and hard time at Depot. The majority of people that become Police Officers are A-Type personalities, who generally don't ask or need help and instead focus on themselves to the point when the only thing that matters is if their work is done. Help your team-mates, everyone has a specific skillset to offer eachother. If you finish your work first help the next person thats struggling. There might come a time when you may have trouble with firearms or hand to hand training and you need their help.

Aside from that everything was good. Keep your fitness up, complete your homework, and remember to get off base whenever you can. It's very easy to get tunnel vision and forget why you're there. Get out into the public, see the world around you again and remember why you want to join up. Staying on base all the time, every weekend can psychologically make you feel a little isolated or imprisoned. Go stay at a hotel maybe every other week to regroup your thoughts if you are having a hard time.

azims
Veteran Member

Postby azims » Tue May 24, 2016 3:25 pm

Last edited by azims on Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BSO20620
Rookie Member

Postby BSO20620 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:04 pm

Thank you for the insight to Depot azims

What is the normal after class assignments that cadets have to due during the weeks. I have been told assignments range from PROS work, volunteer activities, a list of workouts per week. From 16:00-23:00 on a weekday is there really down time or is it spend doing assignments.
RCMP Constable
K Division

Azalin
Rookie Member

Postby Azalin » Tue May 24, 2016 5:39 pm

BSO20620 wrote:Thank you for the insight to Depot azims

What is the normal after class assignments that cadets have to due during the weeks. I have been told assignments range from PROS work, volunteer activities, a list of workouts per week. From 16:00-23:00 on a weekday is there really down time or is it spend doing assignments.

Its basically all spent doing assignments but again, time management is key here. Some people take longer to do the work because they talk to troop mates and joke around, others put the headphones in and crack it all within 2 hours and have time to relax and read a book or watch a movie. Different weeks have different workloads. They will never give you more than you can handle; even if you feel it's too much. You just need to allocate your time properly. But remember that homework does consist of actual bookwork, polishing boots, cleaning your gun, taking our patrol cars, practicing hand to hand techniques, and of course your going to the gym which needs to be done.

You should know what you are doing everyday; it should all be planned out from when you wake up, to when you put your head down. If you don't have a routine, or you are walking around not sure what to do you are going to have a problem. The most important commodity in depot, at least for me was time. You can never have enough time; aside from the whole wish 6 months went a hell of a lot faster lol.

Sunrise
Rookie Member

Postby Sunrise » Tue May 24, 2016 6:21 pm

Thanks for being real Azalin. It's nice to have someone explain exactly how it works in regards to the day-to-day.

Any plans of heading back to Depot? Or have you moved on to something else?