RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
EastCoast48
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby EastCoast48 » Sun May 08, 2016 11:52 am

Thanks for postings a response back, I also have a 2 year college diploma i wonder if i still have to write now? any thoughts?

And what does FC stand for??

When you called them did they give you any reason why you had to wait so long ?
Online App: 04/03/16
SP Completed: 06/10/2016
RMAQ Review: 07/19/2016
File Closed : 08/25/2016 (one year)

Torreo
Rookie Member

Postby Torreo » Sun May 08, 2016 12:44 pm

EastCoast48 wrote:Thanks for postings a response back, I also have a 2 year college diploma i wonder if i still have to write now? any thoughts?

If there's one thing I've learned so far in the process: don't hesitate to contact recruiting.

Be it a question, an update, or politely reminding them that you still exist, you'll get the best info. There are several recent posts from others on this forum that show how getting in touch reveals a hiccup in the paperwork that gets a candidate moving along. If they hadn't, who knows how long they might have waited?

I'd hazard a guess that the delay in the last few weeks has to do with all the changes to the process. There's possibly some administrative changes going on as well that we don't see.

As for having your diploma, I'd fire off an email right away advising them of your schooling. I can't remember what info they gather in the initial application, but they may not be aware that you have a diploma.

I think FC stands for file coordinator. Different people have different lingo sometimes though... just because things weren't confusing enough.
2015/12 Online App
2015/12 App Selected
2016/01 RPAT
2016/01 SP
2016/02 SP Submitted
2016/02 RMAQ
2016/03 RMSI
2016/03 PARE
2016/04 PEP

TonyHal
Rookie Member

Postby TonyHal » Sun May 08, 2016 1:12 pm

EastCoast48 wrote:Thanks for postings a response back, I also have a 2 year college diploma i wonder if i still have to write now? any thoughts?

I applied at the time they made some changes to the online application process. When I applied, I made a mistake on my application and was deferred for 6 months. (Another story) 4 months later they overturned my file and sent me the email stating I would be receiving an email within the 14 days. When I got in touch with recruiting after 14 business days, they informed me that there was a back log of applicants waiting to write. There has been so many changes to the application process in the last year that it's been challenging for all including recruiting.

stribor45
Rookie Member

Postby stribor45 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:36 pm

Anyone knows where I can do vision and hearing test in Hamilton, Burlington area that I can do after 5pm

lcavic
Rookie Member

Postby lcavic » Sun May 08, 2016 3:31 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the new process for recruitment. If I understand correctly if you have a diploma from recognized institution in Canada you will skip the test, and if you are skipping the test technically you are going straight to the polygraph?

I have done the process 5 years ago and I was deferred just before my medical so I am not concerned too much about doing it again but it would be nice to skip all that and just do polygraph and be on your way to BGI and SC.

Does anyone here know for sure if that is the case, if you don't need to write you will go straight to questioner / poly.

Thanks

Dezbryant
Rookie Member

Postby Dezbryant » Sun May 08, 2016 5:10 pm

lcavic wrote:Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the new process for recruitment. If I understand correctly if you have a diploma from recognized institution in Canada you will skip the test, and if you are skipping the test technically you are going straight to the polygraph?

I have done the process 5 years ago and I was deferred just before my medical so I am not concerned too much about doing it again but it would be nice to skip all that and just do polygraph and be on your way to BGI and SC.

Does anyone here know for sure if that is the case, if you don't need to write you will go straight to questioner / poly.

Thanks

You're forgetting the RMAQ interview which could possibly be done in person now instead of over the phone and include some aspects of the RMSI.
OPS APP - Oct/17
PBQ- Jan/18
LFI- Mar/18
ECI- Apr/18
Psych Interview-Jun/18
BGI- Sept-Oct/2018
Final review Decision-?

RCMP APP-07/17
RMAQ - 09/17
PEP- 03/18 (* Rec 4/18*)
F.I - 05/18
Pysch/Med-06/18 (*Rec 08/17*)
FSR- 07/18
SC- 07/18 (*Rec?*)

azims
Veteran Member

Postby azims » Sun May 08, 2016 5:11 pm

stribor45 wrote:Anyone knows where I can do vision and hearing test in Hamilton, Burlington area that I can do after 5pm

from what I know I dont think there is any place open that late.. they all usually close at 4 or 5.. maybe 6.. ur gona have to make some phone calls and find out....

HB14
Rookie Member

Re: *** ASK AN RCMP RECRUITER ***

Postby HB14 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:47 pm

Tango5 wrote:
HB14 wrote:Caroline,

Thank you for the response. I'll have to look into citizenship and what is required. In relation to my second point what I meant was I'm coming over to Canada for a 3 week holiday next year and was wondering whether you have a contact of someone that I could arrange to do a shift with while on holiday. Its quite popular for oversea Officers to come out with us in the United Kingdom but I wasn't sure whether that Is something I could sort out before we come over in April.

Terminology might be called a 'Ride along'?

Regards

Glad to be of help. :D

I hope you enjoyed the rides and got a good prospective on how police services work here.
Good luck!

Just like to express my gratitude to Tango5 and Deas Island traffic services (RCMP) for allowing me to come out on a ride along. Great experience to see how policing is over the pond, and is certainly making me consider coming over to Canada.

Gatsy92
Rookie Member

Postby Gatsy92 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:56 pm

I don't know if I just got lucky but my hearing test was covered under OHIP. I didn't pay a dime. Vision was 40 bucks.
09.17.2015 RPAB
10.17.2015 RMAQ
11.09.2015 RMSI
11.18.2015 PARE
12.07.2015 PEP
01.20.2016 PEP Rec
01.29.2016 BGI
02.23.2016 Psych
02.23.2016 Suit
03.09.2016 Med
03.23.2016 Med Clearance
04.22.2016 SC
Troop 4
F Division

TonyHal
Rookie Member

Postby TonyHal » Sun May 08, 2016 8:47 pm

I'm a N.S applicant and I had my hearing and vision done at Costco. Hearing was $80 and vision was free with a costco membership. You can also get your passport sized photos done there as well. I don't believe all Costco's have these options, but thought I would share for applicants to look in to.

cplhick1968
Rookie Member

Postby cplhick1968 » Sun May 08, 2016 9:22 pm

I never new Costco did hearing tests. I have mine booked with Hearing Institute Atlantic for $50. I'm from NS too.

stribor45
Rookie Member

Postby stribor45 » Sun May 08, 2016 9:30 pm

Does anyone know how long is the initial post after Depot or it all depends)

Sunrise
Rookie Member

Postby Sunrise » Sun May 08, 2016 9:32 pm

Another update, just found a vision test in Vancouver for $100 if you're a student. It was just brought to my attention that the tests actually may be covered under my parents' health insurance so I'm gonna inquire about that for sure. For any other young person/student getting these tests done make sure to explore that option.

azims
Veteran Member

Postby azims » Sun May 08, 2016 10:16 pm

Last edited by azims on Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alimartin
Rookie Member

Postby alimartin » Mon May 09, 2016 12:01 am

azims wrote:
stribor45 wrote:Does anyone know how long is the initial post after Depot or it all depends)

LDP is 2 years.. any other posting is usually 5 years.. but things can change....
Just to add...If its LDP, you wouldnt want to stuck around for more than 2 years anyway. but lets say if you are posted to Lac La Biche AB..... ones your 5 years are up, no one is going to forcefully make you transfer however it is recommended that you transfer if you want to promote and further your career but then at the end of the day, its your call..Staffing may give you a hint and aks you your plans for the future and would encourage you to transfer....We had a member at my detachment ( retired recently) who did 17 years here.. He retired as a cst (absolutely nothing wrong with it). He liked GD and stuck around....

To be more specific, LDPs can be anywhere from 2-4 years, most regular posts are 5.

As azims said, you're highly unlikely to be made to move on, but also realize that just because you do your 5 year "commitment" does not mean you'll get to move on easily or right away. Your technical commitment may be "X" years in any given post but the reality is that get out of some posts can take "X + 1/2/3/etc" years (though they're pretty good about getting people out of LDPs when the time is up)