RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Sunrise
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Sunrise » Wed May 04, 2016 2:12 am

VanSmack wrote:
Sunrise wrote: I just wouldn't want to select BC only and get stuck in Dawson Creek when I could've removed that restriction and gotten a large city somewhere else in Canada :P

What large city are you expecting to get outside of the lower mainland? The RCMP doesn't deliver frontline policing to all that many major centres. Outside of BC the biggest you're going to see are Red Deer, Grande Prairie, Moncton, and shared agreement with Halifax. There are a few small communities outside of some of the larger cities in the prairies, but betting on those is a pretty long shot. The RCMP delivers a lot more services to places like Dawson than it does to places like Richmond, Surrey and North Van.

And before someone points out to me that there are detachments in Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, etc, etc. I realize that, but when was the last time someone saw any number of recruits being posted to a section in a contract division. It's even less common than someone going to Ontario or Quebec out of training these days.

Besides, big city policing isn't the be all, end all, especially in the RCMP.

I wasn't aware that urban centres policed by the RCMP were few and far between outside of BC. Well, if I do get in and make it through training, I guess I'll make use of the new home province option and hope for the best.

As far as big city policing not being the be all end all, I totally get that. I'm willing to bet that small communities are awesome in their own way and can provide experiences that don't exist in the urban centres. It's just for me personally, while I wouldn't mind getting posted somewhere remote (I consider myself outdoorsy), I've lived my entire life in the city and if there's an availability for it I would strongly prefer getting posted in one. At the end of the day I will take whatever the Force may offer me if I make it that far because the RCMP is my dream job, but I still hold this preference regardless.

azims
Veteran Member

Postby azims » Wed May 04, 2016 6:47 am

DDOYYZ wrote:
alimartin wrote:The Police Academy at JIBC is roughly $10k. VPD makes reference to recruits being potentially able to qualify for loans through the Vancouver Police Credit Union, so it's not just eastern forces that pay their own training.

It helps when you're paid from day 1 though!

Edited to add that other BC muni forces also require the recruit to pay the tuition, but may offer interest free loans. I don't know about Calgary/Edmonton/Winnipeg but it seems the RCMP is in the minority as far as covering all training costs.

Oh wow, my apologies I stand corrected.

I do know 100% for sure that Edmonton and Calgary is full starting salary from day 1 of training and you don't pay anyone anything...your an employee getting training on day 1.

lol you are comparing CPS and EPS with the RCMP ? Their salary, benefits and equipment is far superior

dataec
Poobah Overlord

Postby dataec » Wed May 04, 2016 9:23 am

The3wood
Rookie Member

Postby The3wood » Wed May 04, 2016 9:33 am

Pete Broccolo wrote:
stribor45 wrote:...Does anyone know if Ontario applicants could possibly ever get their first post in Ontario?
Thanks guys

Being an ex-pat ON type, I will echo alimartin's comment - do NOT bother applying to the RCMP if you are hoping to get back to ON immediately out of Depot, or soon within your career!

Your BEST bet is to join the OPP, or an ON Municipal PS, gain some experience, and THEN, if you want to join the RCMP, try to patch-over IF you can get a guarantee to stay in "O" Div.

"E", "K", "F" & "D" Divisions will NEED bodies, and MOST LIKELY are where the MAJORITY of graduating Cadets WILL end up.

If ANYTHING, I can see EXPERIENCED RM getting to parachute back into "O" IF they have the requisite Drugs, Major Crimes, GIS, Commercial Crime or even Shiprider experience.

I have no inside info on ANY of this, but I have heard and seen enough over the years that you MIGHT want to NOT get your hopes up.

I assume that the Maritimers, especially those sittin' on the Rock, are paying attention?!

hahaha!! reading you loud and clear! As much as I would hope to be able to stay in the maritimes/atlantic provinces we know we will have to go where it is needed most. I wouldn't mind heading to "d" or "F" divisions. But we go where we go!
NL APPLICANT
RPAB - NOV 2015
SP - JAN 2016
RMAQ - FEB 2016
RMSI - MAR 2016
PEP - APR 2016
PEP REC - JUNE 2016
PARE - depot
BGI - JUNE 2016
PSYCH - JUNE 2016
MED - JULY 2016
MED CLEARED - JULY 2016
SC - SEPT 2016
Troop #19, Oct. 17th

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Wed May 04, 2016 10:17 am

The RCMP is struggling to finalize, if not fighting against, members firming an Association that will have full bargaining powers for pay, other benefits, discipline, equipment and staffing issues, with arbitration rather than strike resolution.

The Force has had, and still has, FAR more mandates than ANY other Police or Law Enforcement Service ANYWHERE in the world, let alone simply Canada.

It is going to be a VERY rough trail that the members already in the saddle, and you hopefuls, will be riding, whether RM or CM.

IF the RCMP does not take you, but another Police Service, or armed Law Enforcement Agency does, don't be bitter or smug - those in Review Order are going to be struggling, even if EVERY Detachment, Unit, Commander, and on up to the Commissioner suddenly become the most front-line supportive leaders EVER.

You ALL may be looking at the beginning of the end of the RCMP as we have known it, and the re-birth not only of Provincial Police Services, but even of a version of the Dominion Police of old or the 1970's proposed Federal Police.

No matter - RCMP / Dominion / Federal or PP...members WILL be subject to physical relocations.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

L8BLMR
Rookie Member

Postby L8BLMR » Wed May 04, 2016 3:55 pm

I got the call!!!!! Troop 5 May 30 :D
RCMP BC APPLICANT 2015/2016
TROOP 5 MAY 30-NOV 14 2016

lexxie
Rookie Member

Postby lexxie » Wed May 04, 2016 5:48 pm

Tango5 wrote:
dmifflin wrote:http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/how-to-apply

It's true. I wonder how many more people they'll be sending home from Depot for failing their first ever PARE?

^^^this^^^
Plus some other changes.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/qualificat ... quirements

Apparently the Cooper Run (2.4k) is gone at Depot. Yes 5k and 8K still on.

Hey,

I looked at that link but can't find anything about there only being the 5k and 8k. Where did you see that exactly?

Thank-you!

alimartin
Rookie Member

Postby alimartin » Wed May 04, 2016 6:02 pm

lexxie wrote:
Tango5 wrote:
dmifflin wrote:http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/how-to-apply

It's true. I wonder how many more people they'll be sending home from Depot for failing their first ever PARE?

^^^this^^^
Plus some other changes.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/qualificat ... quirements

Apparently the Cooper Run (2.4k) is gone at Depot. Yes 5k and 8K still on.

Hey,

I looked at that link but can't find anything about there only being the 5k and 8k. Where did you see that exactly?

Thank-you!

Depot Web just posted it on the Ontario recruiter thread.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=37529&start=60

lexxie
Rookie Member

Postby lexxie » Wed May 04, 2016 6:58 pm

Depot Web just posted it on the Ontario recruiter thread.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=37529&start=60[/quote]

Sorry- I didn't realize that. Thank-you for the reply Depot Web.

Is it still two 5k and one 8k?

oldunclehue
Seasoned Member

Postby oldunclehue » Wed May 04, 2016 8:51 pm

Pete Broccolo wrote:The RCMP is struggling to finalize, if not fighting against, members firming an Association that will have full bargaining powers for pay, other benefits, discipline, equipment and staffing issues, with arbitration rather than strike resolution.

The Force has had, and still has, FAR more mandates than ANY other Police or Law Enforcement Service ANYWHERE in the world, let alone simply Canada.

It is going to be a VERY rough trail that the members already in the saddle, and you hopefuls, will be riding, whether RM or CM.

IF the RCMP does not take you, but another Police Service, or armed Law Enforcement Agency does, don't be bitter or smug - those in Review Order are going to be struggling, even if EVERY Detachment, Unit, Commander, and on up to the Commissioner suddenly become the most front-line supportive leaders EVER.

You ALL may be looking at the beginning of the end of the RCMP as we have known it, and the re-birth not only of Provincial Police Services, but even of a version of the Dominion Police of old or the 1970's proposed Federal Police.

No matter - RCMP / Dominion / Federal or PP...members WILL be subject to physical relocations.

This right here...in 10 years time the RCMP will likely be something different. The association is a great thing for us GD guys, but it very well will cause a huge strain on taxpayers if we get huge raises because of it!

Provinces will opt out and get back to provincial units, Fed government will gift infrastructure to them and they will say either patch over or walk away...then they will dictate pay etc.

Could be scary!

Canuckulhead
Rookie Member

Postby Canuckulhead » Wed May 04, 2016 10:08 pm

L8BLMR wrote:I got the call!!!!! Troop 5 May 30 :D

Conrgats!!!! :drinking: :drinking: When is my turn.... :banghead:

Ha ha ha!. I genuinely feel good for people who are active on this board when they get the call.

When did you BGI officially end? My file has been at SC/Final Review for close to two months... getting anxious....
BC Applicant -

Accepted RCMP August 2018 - Declined at the time due to child health care issues

April 2019 - Accepted Offer with New Westminster Police- May 2019 JI Start

Canuckulhead
Rookie Member

Postby Canuckulhead » Wed May 04, 2016 10:09 pm

oldunclehue wrote:
Pete Broccolo wrote:The RCMP is struggling to finalize, if not fighting against, members firming an Association that will have full bargaining powers for pay, other benefits, discipline, equipment and staffing issues, with arbitration rather than strike resolution.

This right here...in 10 years time the RCMP will likely be something different. The association is a great thing for us GD guys, but it very well will cause a huge strain on taxpayers if we get huge raises because of it!
Provinces will opt out and get back to provincial units, Fed government will gift infrastructure to them and they will say either patch over or walk away...then they will dictate pay etc.

Could be scary!

The Muni's and their tax payers survive... RCMP members just want equal pay and equipment, I think most people can understand that.
BC Applicant -

Accepted RCMP August 2018 - Declined at the time due to child health care issues

April 2019 - Accepted Offer with New Westminster Police- May 2019 JI Start

DDOYYZ
Rookie Member

Postby DDOYYZ » Thu May 05, 2016 2:14 am

[/quote]

The Muni's and their tax payers survive... RCMP members just want equal pay and equipment, I think most people can understand that.[/quote]

I know this wont be a popular position to take....and while I totally respect desire for equal pay and equipment. I would respectfully challenge your claim that the Municipalities and tax payers survive. There is a growing problem with paying for policing in Canada. We expect a lot from LEOs...seems like every year we keep expanding the scope of duties and scrutinizing every thing they do. Meanwhile Canada is among the very top of nations in police pay and job security. And the unions/associations (excluding RCMP for now) do a good job of securing pay increases. But the tax base...the revenue side is dwindling in many places....oh and then throw in an economic slowdown/recession.

"The cost of OPP salaries has skyrocketed over the past decade, putting enormous stress on cash-strapped municipalities that don’t have large corporate tax bases to draw upon to pay for them.

It was one of the hottest issues at this week’s meeting of the Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO)"

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/21/po ... cipalities

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/10/16/cri ... -institute

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/623 ... ntroversy/

http://www.obj.ca/Local/Defence-and-sec ... services/1

And if then there is this report from the Fraser Institute...which is known as a Conservative right wing think tank....meaning the report wasn't put together by some NDP cop haters.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/sites/d ... canada.pdf

dataec
Poobah Overlord

Postby dataec » Thu May 05, 2016 7:12 am

oldunclehue wrote:...but it very well will cause a huge strain on taxpayers if we get huge raises because of it!

Could be scary!

Very true that will impact most contracts! Especially the smaller-ish ones. But the pay increase will just be the beginning. The community MAY absorb the initial increase but highly doubtful, lol, town/city council goes bonkers over a 5% increase in something - just wait until they get notice of 2-3 times that!

BUT......that's just the first year to bring us up to par.

THEN....we will bankrupt the coffers w/ o.t. Remember, no more vot. No more 1 Mountie for 1 Detachment. Minimum coverage, no vot.....hmmmm, plus you can add that, that they have ZERO input as to how we operate in their area - "Ottawa sez!"

PLUS....they get uniformed front line staff sitting in the Detachment doing computer scoring/inputing that no other police force in Canada does.

Attractive!

dataec
Poobah Overlord

Postby dataec » Thu May 05, 2016 7:39 am

Canuckulhead wrote:The Muni's and their tax payers survive... RCMP members just want equal pay and equipment, I think most people can understand that.

100% on the first two (meh, 50/50 on the last one,lol!)

You are correct but I think the tie-breaker (s) will be local control/input, etc.

Might take a quick stroll out on thin ice here but something else they may wish to have an input in is hiring practices. Pretty hard to argue with the people paying most the bill that they have no input.