RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
stribor45
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby stribor45 » Tue May 03, 2016 10:31 pm

So RCMP lack of applicants while city force (Peel, Toronto , Hamilton etc) as far as I hear have tons of applicants or at least no shortage of applicants. I am sorry if my question seems obvious but I am curious why such gaps between RCMP and city police?

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Tue May 03, 2016 10:33 pm

Pretty brutal state of affairs. I hope they don't regress to the pre-2000's and drop the polygraph next or move over to the CVSA.

I wonder if provincial and municipal agencies (police and others i.e sheriffs, conservation, etc) are having a fair size affect in recruiting applicants who would otherwise apply to the RCMP.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

Bespoked
Rookie Member

Postby Bespoked » Tue May 03, 2016 10:44 pm

stribor45 wrote:So RCMP lack of applicants while city force (Peel, Toronto , Hamilton etc) as far as I hear have tons of applicants or at least no shortage of applicants. I am sorry if my question seems obvious but I am curious why such gaps between RCMP and city police?

If anything, moving would be the single biggest deterrent to most applicants for the RCMP. I personally look forward to getting to see some new parts of the country!
Ontario Applicant
RPAB: Apr 21/2015
SP Sent: Jun 06/2015
RMAQ: Jun 19/2015
RMSI: Aug 24/2015
PARE: Aug 30/2015 (3:53)
PEP: Oct 2/2015
PEP Review: Oct 28th/2015
PARE 2: Feb 28/2016 (3:46)
Psych: Mar 21/2016
Final Med: Oct 04/2016
Troop: Oct 04/2016

Flemminr
Rookie Member

Postby Flemminr » Tue May 03, 2016 10:53 pm

stribor45 wrote:So RCMP lack of applicants while city force (Peel, Toronto , Hamilton etc) as far as I hear have tons of applicants or at least no shortage of applicants. I am sorry if my question seems obvious but I am curious why such gaps between RCMP and city police?

I would guess the main reasons are not needing to relocate between cities/towns or provinces every few years and better compensation.
Cst
D Division

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Tue May 03, 2016 10:59 pm

Sorry to say but lately the credibility of the force suffered.
Plus the relocating, less pay, longer process.

As per the Commissioner's broadcast...
" I am hopeful the pay submission I sent to Treasury Board Secretariat in December will be approved soon."

So.. Hopefully the pay will get better.
Last edited by Tango5 on Tue May 03, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:08 pm

VanSmack wrote:Too lazy/cheap as an organization to find better ways to attract more/better applicants, and a misplaced faith that the cadet training program will somehow do what had been recriting's job of weeding out undesirables before they hit the street.

If you can't get the cream of the crop you end up reaching further down until eventually you're just scraping the bottom of the barrel.

And ^^^this^^^
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

cplhick1968
Rookie Member

Postby cplhick1968 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:12 pm

Do you get any choice on where they post you to? Or is it a big map of Canada and you get to throw a dart at it??

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Tue May 03, 2016 11:34 pm

cplhick1968 wrote:Do you get any choice on where they post you to? Or is it a big map of Canada and you get to throw a dart at it??

That's how they used to decide it back in the day when my grandfather graduated from Depot back in the 70's. At least that's what he told me (probably jokingly).
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

azims
Veteran Member

Postby azims » Tue May 03, 2016 11:58 pm

stribor45 wrote:Does Audio and Visual need to be completed before you submit your online application?
Does anyone know if Ontario applicants could possibly ever get their first post in Ontario?

Thanks guys

All your questions have already been answered by many on several occasions and some are right there on the RCMP app. process e.g does audio and visual need to be completed before you apply ? It says right on the application process guideline.. You need to have it done before you apply.. Do a little bit of research before posting your questions...

Sunrise
Rookie Member

Postby Sunrise » Wed May 04, 2016 12:02 am

Bespoked wrote:

If anything, moving would be the single biggest deterrent to most applicants for the RCMP. I personally look forward to getting to see some new parts of the country!

I'm with ya. I'm from BC and I was actually kinda looking forward to the prospect of being posted anywhere. I'm young, haven't seen much of my country, and have no wife and kids that I need to stay for. With the new option I would likely opt to stay in BC just because it's home, but I'm disappointed that it takes some of the mystery away.

If I had the option to choose big city BC detachment (Surrey, Richmond, etc.) and if none of those were available THEN open myself up to the entire country I would do that, but I don't think they would care to give me that much choice. I just wouldn't want to select BC only and get stuck in Dawson Creek when I could've removed that restriction and gotten a large city somewhere else in Canada :P

DDOYYZ
Rookie Member

Postby DDOYYZ » Wed May 04, 2016 12:59 am

VanSmack wrote:

City forces might need less than a hundred per year in most cases, not thousands like the RCMP needs. City forces are better paid pretty much across the board and don't force their new hires into a roll of the dice as far as where they might end up after training and throughout their career. Most city forces haven't spent the last 15 years being slagged in the media without any pushback from anyone in a position to set any records straight when it comes to stuff on the front line, not to mention the harassment lawsuits, etc.

And also out here in the West most if not all of the major municipal forces pay you a full salary starting on Day 1 of training. Where as the RCMP only gives you a small allowance on top of room and board. And I understand for those of you in Ontario and further east have to actually PAY them for your training? and take out loans to cover the tuition costs for Ontario Police College and also not get paid during that time???

So I'd tend to think a lot of stronger applicants would be gunning for Calgary or Edmonton or Vancouver or Winnipeg police etc especially if you already live in the west.

alimartin
Rookie Member

Postby alimartin » Wed May 04, 2016 1:14 am

The Police Academy at JIBC is roughly $10k. VPD makes reference to recruits being potentially able to qualify for loans through the Vancouver Police Credit Union, so it's not just eastern forces that pay their own training.

It helps when you're paid from day 1 though!

Edited to add that other BC muni forces also require the recruit to pay the tuition, but may offer interest free loans. I don't know about Calgary/Edmonton/Winnipeg but it seems the RCMP is in the minority as far as covering all training costs.

DDOYYZ
Rookie Member

Postby DDOYYZ » Wed May 04, 2016 1:45 am

alimartin wrote:The Police Academy at JIBC is roughly $10k. VPD makes reference to recruits being potentially able to qualify for loans through the Vancouver Police Credit Union, so it's not just eastern forces that pay their own training.

It helps when you're paid from day 1 though!

Edited to add that other BC muni forces also require the recruit to pay the tuition, but may offer interest free loans. I don't know about Calgary/Edmonton/Winnipeg but it seems the RCMP is in the minority as far as covering all training costs.

Oh wow, my apologies I stand corrected.

I do know 100% for sure that Edmonton and Calgary is full starting salary from day 1 of training and you don't pay anyone anything...your an employee getting training on day 1.