RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
User avatar
Grey
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:01 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Grey » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:20 am

johnq wrote:
hockeyref306 wrote:
Jeepinkid wrote:Medical, Dental, Psych tomorrow! Does it matter what I wear? I know it's not an interview but if I go casual will it show that I have no respect for authority, or if I dress up will it come across as my desperate need to impress people? :D


Wear the suit.


I disagree, it isn't an interview, the health services people aren't even in contact with your recruiters other than to advise on your medical fitness, you'll have to get undressed anyway, and you'll have to sit through a mindbending two hour psych exam. Wear whats comfortable like a normal person going to a doctors office, dockers and a polo is fine.

***noticed that he was joking, but my opinion about dress stands.



I agree with johnq, I don't think it matters if you wear a suit. If you're at the Medical/psych stage then I think its safe to say that they are already impressed with you. What happens at the medical part isn't disclosed to the recruiter, only that you pass or fail. Like any other doctor you go to, its private. Their job is just to say you're fit enough medically, or not.

Good luck

User avatar
Grey
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:01 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Grey » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:21 am

VanSmack wrote:
Grey wrote:I remember going from my medical right into another room for the psych. And yes VanSmack.. I remember it like it was yesterday because it pretty much was yesterday.


Thanks for the shout out, but if you think I would have brought something like that up in response to that particular post, I wouldn't. It would serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever.


well... I was mostly just trying to make my post longer.. lol

atari101
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:11 am
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby atari101 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:55 am

Jeepinkid wrote:Medical, Dental, Psych tomorrow! Does it matter what I wear? I know it's not an interview but if I go casual will it show that I have no respect for authority, or if I dress up will it come across as my desperate need to impress people? :D


It seems everyone around is giving you advice, I went casual-dress (Khakis and a nice golf shirt). Like others have pointed out, you will be stripping down anyway. I was mostly in-and-out, saw the doctor, wrote the psychological and left. I would advise against blue jeans though, in case you run into someone you may know or asks you questions about your application.

As far as the doctor not relaying anything back to your recruiter, you should be more concerned about setting a positive image to everyone you encounter...because that is a big part of policing... lol.

zycil27
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:49 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby zycil27 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:15 am

atari101 wrote:As far as the doctor not relaying anything back to your recruiter, you should be more concerned about setting a positive image to everyone you encounter...because that is a big part of policing.


^exactly what I wanted to say. I also went with business casual and it seemed fine. Just wear something comfortable and professional-looking that's easy to take off for the medical.

nicenothernguy
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:37 pm

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby nicenothernguy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:29 am

removed
Last edited by nicenothernguy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheBullTerrier
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:35 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby TheBullTerrier » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:57 am

I guess it also depends where you have to go for these things. In my case I went to an RCMP office for my Psych and Medical, but I went to a third party clinic for my blood work and EKG. I also went to a third party dentist. That is how it works in Ontario, or at least in the part of Ontario I am in.

I can assure you the dentist and the two Filipino ladies that did my blood work/EKG could give a furry rats behind what I was wearing. Likewise I doubt the RCMP psychologist or doctor took much notice. I think you are safe with dressing comfortable, but tidy. I think the safest bet suggested is the polo shirt and khakis if you are really concerned. IMO shirt and tie is definitely not necessary. In the end you just need to make a judgement call that you feel comfortable with. I am sure they have seen everything in the attire spectrum from applicants.
Last edited by TheBullTerrier on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regular Member

Canadian_604
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:56 am
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Canadian_604 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Hello all, great topic. I’m not in RCMP recruiting, but working in a similar recruiting system has given me a chance to see what kind of an impression the suit/no suit thing made on me. I would like to share my favourite quote from the VPD senior recruiting Sgt when I went to one of their Presentations, "Some of you might be here to kill a Saturday morning, therefore I don't care that you wore jeans, but for any of you who are serious applicants, don't bother showing up to MY recruiting centre in anything short of a shirt and tie or you will not be helped. I also warn you, if you show up for any reason wearing a, "Tap-out," or, "Affliction," style T-shirt, your application will be concluded on the spot. Go get a suit, I'm not saying go get a Hugo Boss, but get a suit."

Why do I care what the little old lady taking my blood pressure thinks? The most exposure she has probably had to the RCMP is the applicants that come thru her door weekly. I want her to have trust and pride in the applicants that walk through the door and hopefully that will transfer into how she feels about the Mounties she sees work in her community. Even as an applicant you are, in a way, representing the RCMP. Suiting up shows a level of dedication and seriousness not always seen in people looking for a, “job,” as can define you as someone looking for a career.
Last edited by Canadian_604 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCMP Regular Member

Troop 8 2013

nicenothernguy
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:37 pm

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby nicenothernguy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:11 pm

removed
Last edited by nicenothernguy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnq
Regular Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:30 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby johnq » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:39 pm

So to round up - suit or no suit, its up to you. Just don't wear a tapout or afflication tee-shirt. That's really pretty good advice for life in general, come to think of it...

Malibu
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1319
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:01 pm
Location: The Range
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Malibu » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:29 pm

Canadian_604 wrote:Hello all, great topic. I’m not in RCMP recruiting, but working in a similar recruiting system has given me a chance to see what kind of an impression the suit/no suit thing made on me. I would like to share my favourite quote from the VPD senior recruiting Sgt when I went to one of their Presentations, "Some of you might be here to kill a Saturday morning, therefore I don't care that you wore jeans, but for any of you who are serious applicants, don't bother showing up to MY recruiting centre in anything short of a shirt and tie or you will not be helped. I also warn you, if you show up for any reason wearing a, "Tap-out," or, "Affliction," style T-shirt, your application will be concluded on the spot. Go get a suit, I'm not saying go get a Hugo Boss, but get a suit."

Why do I care what the little old lady taking my blood pressure thinks? The most exposure she has probably had to the RCMP is the applicants that come thru her door weekly. I want her to have trust and pride in the applicants that walk through the door and hopefully that will transfer into how she feels about the Mounties she sees work in her community. Even as an applicant you are, in a way, representing the RCMP. Suiting up shows a level of dedication and seriousness not always seen in people looking for a, “job,” as can define you as someone looking for a career.


Don't be lazy, wear the fucking suit. if you don't want to answer the 500 psych questions while sitting in your best, get dressed/undressed in your best, walk around in public looking sharp.......go work the oil patch. You fucking well know that the psych doctor, medical staff, doctor, nurses, secretary and so on know you're applying to the RCMP. Don't make the rest of us look bad in your golf shirt. And no, no one is "impressed" with you at all. Even IF you land your lazy ass in Depot, no one gives a shit or thinks you're special. We're offering you a chance to show us you deserve to be a police officer in the RCMP. I can't believe any of you would even question not wearing a suit. Clean jeans are not cool. If you want to go to the fucking rippers with me, fine wear your clean jeans, but not to ANYTHING to do with getting your lazy ass into Depot. We don't care how nice your suit is, just wear it. I was broke as hell and still found a very cheap suit. I wore the same blue shirt, jacket and pants to every part of the scnreening. No one cares if you recycle, the point is that you care SO MUCH about this career that you'll get dressed up and be proud to be given the chance to take part in every part of it.

Lazy.
***POLICE CONSTABLE***

hockeyref306
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:17 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby hockeyref306 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:17 pm

Malibu wrote:
Canadian_604 wrote:Hello all, great topic. I’m not in RCMP recruiting, but working in a similar recruiting system has given me a chance to see what kind of an impression the suit/no suit thing made on me. I would like to share my favourite quote from the VPD senior recruiting Sgt when I went to one of their Presentations, "Some of you might be here to kill a Saturday morning, therefore I don't care that you wore jeans, but for any of you who are serious applicants, don't bother showing up to MY recruiting centre in anything short of a shirt and tie or you will not be helped. I also warn you, if you show up for any reason wearing a, "Tap-out," or, "Affliction," style T-shirt, your application will be concluded on the spot. Go get a suit, I'm not saying go get a Hugo Boss, but get a suit."

Why do I care what the little old lady taking my blood pressure thinks? The most exposure she has probably had to the RCMP is the applicants that come thru her door weekly. I want her to have trust and pride in the applicants that walk through the door and hopefully that will transfer into how she feels about the Mounties she sees work in her community. Even as an applicant you are, in a way, representing the RCMP. Suiting up shows a level of dedication and seriousness not always seen in people looking for a, “job,” as can define you as someone looking for a career.


Don't be lazy, wear the fucking suit. if you don't want to answer the 500 psych questions while sitting in your best, get dressed/undressed in your best, walk around in public looking sharp.......go work the oil patch. You fucking well know that the psych doctor, medical staff, doctor, nurses, secretary and so on know you're applying to the RCMP. Don't make the rest of us look bad in your golf shirt. And no, no one is "impressed" with you at all. Even IF you land your lazy ass in Depot, no one gives a shit or thinks you're special. We're offering you a chance to show us you deserve to be a police officer in the RCMP. I can't believe any of you would even question not wearing a suit. Clean jeans are not cool. If you want to go to the fucking rippers with me, fine wear your clean jeans, but not to ANYTHING to do with getting your lazy ass into Depot. We don't care how nice your suit is, just wear it. I was broke as hell and still found a very cheap suit. I wore the same blue shirt, jacket and pants to every part of the scnreening. No one cares if you recycle, the point is that you care SO MUCH about this career that you'll get dressed up and be proud to be given the chance to take part in every part of it.

Lazy.


I rest my case. Wear the suit.
Last edited by hockeyref306 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regular Member

User avatar
JGoodwin
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:30 pm
Location: New Brunswick
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby JGoodwin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:34 pm

"Well said"not a chance! If you're implying that wearing a suit makes a good impression than yes I agree.
but any positive impression they had of you from how you dressed was quickly dismissed when they read you're post with all the profanity. You're confusing the RCMP slogan with Gangnam styles'
("dress Classy and dance cheesy") or in your eyes Dress classy talk like a high school drop out.
Lets keep it professional. just saying
J Division
RPAB(271.39):April,2012
Selection package sent: July,2012
PARE: passed (4:09) Aug 2012
RMSI: passed September 2012
Poly: passed October 2012
BGI: January 2013
Medical/Psych: February 2013
PARE #2: passed (3:36) February 2013
SC:
Troop #:

User avatar
Jeepinkid
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:55 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Jeepinkid » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:09 pm

I went with dress pants and a nice button up shirt, not a suit, but it was also not the jeans or track pants that the other applicants there with me were wearing. Hopefully all of you out there will forgive my heinous unprofessionalism :)
F Divison

ironman92
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:26 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby ironman92 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:13 pm

i've read the document on the rcmp to prepare yourself for the rmsi. Does anyone have any other tips for me or sites that i can check out ? And just a question ( dont attack me please) I'm going to wear a suit for the rmsi, is it too overdressed or perfect ? thanks
Troop 21. January 6 - june 23

User avatar
Jeepinkid
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:55 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Jeepinkid » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:19 pm

ironman92 wrote:i've read the document on the rcmp to prepare yourself for the rmsi. Does anyone have any other tips for me or sites that i can check out ? And just a question ( dont attack me please) I'm going to wear a suit for the rmsi, is it too overdressed or perfect ? thanks


I followed what the website said in preparing for the RMSI and I passed. As for the suit I'm sure that will be good!
F Divison


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Boomboom72, Mb_spec.b, Mich78, SC_07, SemrushBot and 10 guests