RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Depot Web
Rookie Member
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Depot Web » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:55 pm

A few members on this forum have suggested that applicants had better get used to the idea of heading west after graduation. To put some numbers behind that assertion, of the last five troops, only two members were not posted to B.C., Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba.

David Calam, Communication Services
Last edited by Depot Web on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division

Jon.
Sage Member

Postby Jon. » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:56 pm

CanadianTraveler wrote:(who happen to know current rcmp officers very well). Maybe theyre not accurate...... to get posted to the east coast but it may be possible for me as my family is there. Either way, sounds like I will just get to see more of this beautiful country:)

First off, my family is on the east coast too, a lot of our families are on the east coast. Start convincing yourself how awesome the prairies will be.

Second, in the time I wrote the exam to graduating at Depot, the recruiting process changed to the point my buddy who was applying was doing different things at different times, and new things were added in. I'm a relatively new member, coming up on 2 years, but it's been over 4 years since I wrote my exam, as an example. Unless they're a recruiter don't bother asking current members, it was different for us and all you'll get is a best guess.

Depot Web
Rookie Member

Postby Depot Web » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:00 pm

And as for people trying to guess how long it takes to get a security clearance, Recruiting tells me they have seen as fast as two weeks and as long as two years. Anyone giving hard numbers is only offering a guess.

David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division

Chris_53

Postby Chris_53 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:35 pm

Depot Web wrote:A few members on this forum have suggested that applicants had better get used to the idea of heading west after graduation. To put some numbers behind that assertion, of the last five troops, only two members were not posted to B.C., Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba.

It's been said time and time again on this forum, and I'm not sure what recruiting is saying these days but please if you are applying to the RCMP, look long and hard at this country, and imagine yourself in such places as Thompson, MB...Coronation, AB....Prince Rupert, BC and everything in between. If you honestly can't picture yourself at any of these places for any length of time you need to reconsider what you're doing. To give you an idea of reality once posted in the west, save for compassionate reasons the only way you will land Atlantic Region is to do a tour in the Territories and even then you may have to wait for positions to open up. You may not get the opportunity to work back home in your career. I can tell you from experience there is nothing worse then hearing your colleagues constant moaning about missing the east. We all miss our families, but ultimately remember the paper you signed.

CanadianTraveler
Rookie Member

Postby CanadianTraveler » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm

I agree and have no problem living away. I haven't lived in the same province as my family since 2005, I'm more than happy to live anywhere they put me. It was more just a general inquiry because I have lived in so many provinces. It seems as though everything is case by case,so whatever happens the journey will be exciting.

How long did it take everyone to fill out the selection package, was the 1 month time frame cutting it short?

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:27 pm

So basically, getting posted east of Thunder Bay is about as likely as getting hired by TPS. :shock:

Depot Web
Rookie Member

Postby Depot Web » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:48 pm

CanadianTraveler wrote:I'm originally from Nova Scotia, but have lived in Alberta, Manitoba and Ontario. I heard you generally don't get posted to places youve lived. What does this mean for someone who has connections all over Canada?

There's always B.C. and Saskatchewan. :)

For staffing purposes, "home" is generally considered both where you grew up and where you applied from. In your case, this would eliminate Nova Scotia and Ontario, but as we are currently sending new constables to Manitoba and west, this is most likely moot.

David Calam, Depot Communications
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:25 pm

VanSmack, how far from home did you have to move?
K division.

Cdivapp
Rookie Member

Postby Cdivapp » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:03 pm

VanSmack wrote:
Also, a staffing officer for O division told me a week before Christmas that they are not accepting new hires for the foreseeable future, which typically means until April 1, but it will likely be for a while longer than that, as they are restructuring federal policing and will have more members than the new structure requires.

Enjoy the prairies.

Yup. Anyone near HQ will be able to confirm this. Dire times for the NCOs in Ottawa.
Regular Member "E" division

Jon.
Sage Member

Postby Jon. » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:52 pm

Cdivapp wrote:Dire times for the NCOs in Ottawa.

Actual police work?
Last edited by Jon. on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Canadian_604
Rookie Member

Postby Canadian_604 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:58 pm

Cdivapp wrote:
VanSmack wrote:
Also, a staffing officer for O division told me a week before Christmas that they are not accepting new hires for the foreseeable future, which typically means until April 1, but it will likely be for a while longer than that, as they are restructuring federal policing and will have more members than the new structure requires.

Enjoy the prairies.

Yup. Anyone near HQ will be able to confirm this. Dire times for the NCOs in Ottawa.

I heard somethign about them taking people out of HQ and transfering them to Detachments? Can anyone enlighten me on and speak to if this has already had an effect on recruiting. I know the intake is at a low point already and figured it was all to do with the economy. Has the low recruitment numbers already factored in whats going at the HQ, or are recruting targets going to drop even more?
RCMP Regular Member

Troop 8 2013

brihard
Rookie Member

Postby brihard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:55 pm

Canadian_604 wrote:
Cdivapp wrote:
VanSmack wrote:

Enjoy the prairies.

I heard somethign about them taking people out of HQ and transfering them to Detachments? Can anyone enlighten me on and speak to if this has already had an effect on recruiting. I know the intake is at a low point already and figured it was all to do with the economy. Has the low recruitment numbers already factored in whats going at the HQ, or are recruting targets going to drop even more?

This is me talking out of my ass, but I'll indulge in idle speculation because it entertains me.

I'd be inclined to think that with the manning levels at detachment reportedly at what they are, it's approaching genuine crisis levels. This suggests to me based on experience (which we share) that if you're sitting very understrengthed, and that if you are dealing with a more junior and inexperienced group of people than is the norm (through no fault of their own) it becomes all the more necessary to post in some good NCOs to backstop. All the more so when you're dealing with the very small detachments where every single no-fill is a much greater impact on the speedy availability of experienced backup.

Again- idle speculation on my part. But if you have front line units hurting to the point of it being critical, draw on the experienced NCOs who've done the detachment thing a good bit and use their considerable experience and expertise to bolster the detachments. It just seems to make sense.

(EDIT TO ADD- Not my intent to suggest I have police experience here, and I just realize that might be misread. I'm contrasting this with how I've seen things done in the military, which can have similar dynamics. As always I could of course be completely out to lunch.)

Malibu
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Malibu » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 pm

Staffing told me that lots of NCO jobs in Ontario/Ottawa are being removed to save money, thus we need to find a new posting for them. Almost all of them are Cpl to S/Sgt, very few Csts. I don't think the shift in these people out west will affect applicants (in my general duty paper pusher opinion) as they won't be filling the same general duty paper pusher position you get coming out of depot. Get used to the thought of BC if you're from the east. We have the most members and need the most members. If you get even one province east of BC feel lucky that your drive or flight home is that much shorter. Surrey is beautiful this time of year by the way.
***POLICE CONSTABLE***