RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Canadian_604
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Canadian_604 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:49 pm

Mr. Islander wrote:
Shawshank wrote:
CourageInRed wrote:people hate on the choir but it is an easy job. Twice a week you go joke around for 20 minutes and sing at graduations but those are few and far between lately.

Does it require any actual talent?

You just mouth the lyrics and no one would be the wiser!

I heard something about choir, or maybe another duty, gets you out of the Sgt Maj parades most days?? Can anyone speak to this?
RCMP Regular Member

Troop 8 2013

Malibu
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Malibu » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:58 pm

ChrisRobin wrote:Reg dinner organizer-guy is THE best job. It lasts one single evening and easy to plan. Being the driver guy can be a pain if your troopmates are lazy sacks and don't wash the cars. Then the nco ic of the driving unit will come after you and your right marker. True story.

We had a girl hit a curb, dent the rim big time, drive back to depot on a complete flat with dented rim, tell everyone she did it and she would fix it before monday when we were to use our car for the driving test. Some how I didn't hear about the tire until monday morning when we were marching to driving unit. Low and behold, car is still sitting on a flat with dented rim. Who do you think got chewed out by a bunch of driving guys and later some facilitators. Sucked balls.
***POLICE CONSTABLE***

Spidey
Rookie Member

Postby Spidey » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Malibu wrote:
ChrisRobin wrote:Reg dinner organizer-guy is THE best job. It lasts one single evening and easy to plan. Being the driver guy can be a pain if your troopmates are lazy sacks and don't wash the cars. Then the nco ic of the driving unit will come after you and your right marker. True story.

We had a girl hit a curb, dent the rim big time, drive back to depot on a complete flat with dented rim, tell everyone she did it and she would fix it before monday when we were to use our car for the driving test. Some how I didn't hear about the tire until monday morning when we were marching to driving unit. Low and behold, car is still sitting on a flat with dented rim. Who do you think got chewed out by a bunch of driving guys and later some facilitators. Sucked balls.

Wow, I can't imagine how bad you guys got it... Especially when troops get chewed out for things way more minor than that
Ex Mountie.... on to GREENER pastures!

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:52 pm

Spidey wrote:
Malibu wrote:

Wow, I can't imagine how bad you guys got it... Especially when troops get chewed out for things way more minor than that

It's all part of the "game".

:D

mmiskiman
Rookie Member

Postby mmiskiman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:00 am

Mr. Islander wrote:
It's all part of the "game".

:D

gotta play it!!

bluenoser1978
Rookie Member

Postby bluenoser1978 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:49 am

My troop had a Habanos liaison....... seemed like a pretty good gig.

Jeepinkid
Rookie Member

Postby Jeepinkid » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:17 pm

Does every cadet have to have a job? What other jobs are there?
F Divison

dataec
Poobah Overlord

Postby dataec » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:59 pm

gunner065 wrote:No way. FTU liaison is the best.

I come on this Applicant Chit Chat thread about once every 6 months.....thought for sure that was F#@& The Union liaison.

....carry on. :oops:

Malibu
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Malibu » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:20 pm

Jeepinkid wrote:Does every cadet have to have a job? What other jobs are there?

They'll tell you when you get there. You don't always get what you want. Some jobs never change but some seem to get added while others get taken away.
Driving
PDT
Food
PT
Firearms
Right Marker
2i/c Right Marker
Dress
Grad
Half Way Party
Reg Dinner
Mail Man
etc
***POLICE CONSTABLE***

peregrin8
Rookie Member

Postby peregrin8 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:45 am

I was PDU Liason. Such a pain in the ass. I had to chase after all the troop mates every week to make sure they recorded their mileage on the driving log. I also had to organize getting all the track cars on testing days, make sure cars were washed, fuelled, etc. Fortunately the PDU staff were super chill to deal with.

If you want a job where you do nothing, I recommend:

Mess Rep
Half-way Party Rep
Photographer (everyone, including professional photographers, will be taking photographs, anyway)
Reg Dinner Rep
Technology Rep (make sure powerpoint works in APS!)
Fitness Rep (you make sure people sign the run log)
Assistant Troop Accountant (Co-signs cheques for the Accountant)
Mail man (you deliver mail and make people happy)

Jobs I would not recommend:

PDU Liason
Right Marker
Assistant Right Marker
Band
PDT Liason
Homework Liason (everyone depends on you to write down the homework; fortunately, we had an awesome troop mate in charge of this)
FTU Rep

I was also in Choir the last half of my stint at depot because they needed to fill a void. Choir is a good gig, you get to skip the lunch line twice a week and nobody yells at you. The only minor downside is not sleeping in for Sunday morning church services for grad, but they're actually pretty fun to go to. No singing skills required.

I think there should be a haircut rep, who keeps track of how often troop mates get their hair cut!!

brihard
Rookie Member

Postby brihard » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:46 am

What's the deal with Sunday morning church? That's optional, surely?

Malibu
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Malibu » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:56 am

brihard wrote:What's the deal with Sunday morning church? That's optional, surely?

yup
***POLICE CONSTABLE***

brihard
Rookie Member

Postby brihard » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:15 pm

VanSmack wrote:
brihard wrote:What's the deal with Sunday morning church? That's optional, surely?

If you're in choir then you have to go to the graduation chapel services when there is a troop graduating. You aren't required to pray or anything, but you are required to sing, or at least look like you are singing.

When your troop graduates there is a chapel service specifically for your troop on the weekend before you graduate, I don't think you are required to attend in the sense that they would force you to go to church, but I've never heard of anyone refusing to attend, either.

Regular masses/services aren't held in the chapel, there are local places of worship within walking distance of Depot, and I believe they still will have cadets who wish to attend meet up in a central location to march/walk over on Sunday mornings.

OK, cool, thanks. I don't think there's much of a chance of me ending up in the choir- I can think of few quicker ways to be sent packing than trying to subject others to my singing.