RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Mr. Islander » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:46 pm

Maybe a stupid question but for some reason this is over my head tonight... (Hehe).

The 180 days of Class B... that's combined days I'm assuming? 88)

brihard
Rookie Member

Postby brihard » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:40 pm

Mr. Islander wrote:Maybe a stupid question but for some reason this is over my head tonight... (Hehe).

For pension purposes, no.

RCMP will credit day for day any chunk of continuous full time Cl B or C service over 180 days. They need not be the same contracts, but they must run continuously. Any of these periods of full time service will add up for pension purposes.

Example-
Join up
- 2 months Cl B for SQ/DP1 Infantry (not credited)
- Cl A
- 4 months GD in Gagetown (<6 months continuous; not credited)
- Cl A
- 4 Months Ceremonial Guard, immediately followed my 3 months GD in Gagetown (>6 months continuous; 7 months credited)
- Cl A
- 12 months Cl B workup training followed by 7 months Cl C deployment (7 months credited)
- 3 months teaching in Meaford begininng the day after prior contract ends (added to past 7 months)
- Cl A
- 24 months Cl B at recruiting centre (24 months continuous; credited)
- two weeks off, then 3 months of courses in Gagetown (not continuous with previous full time service; <6 months, not credited)

Make sense?

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:07 pm

brihard wrote:
Mr. Islander wrote:Maybe a stupid question but for some reason this is over my head tonight... (Hehe).

RCMP will credit day for day any chunk of continuous full time Cl B or C service over 180 days. They need not be the same contracts, but they must run continuously. Any of these periods of full time service will add up for pension purposes.

Example-
Join up
- Cl A
- Cl A
- 4 Months Ceremonial Guard, immediately followed my 3 months GD in Gagetown (>6 months continuous; 7 months credited)
- Cl A
- 12 months Cl B workup training followed by 7 months Cl C deployment (7 months credited)
- 3 months teaching in Meaford begininng the day after prior contract ends (added to past 7 months)
- Cl A
- two weeks off, then 3 months of courses in Gagetown (not continuous with previous full time service; <6 months, not credited)

Make sense?

Ack... I think.

So if I were to go on a 9 month deployment, then come back and take 2 weeks off and go on an 8 month class B contract.. would I be credited the 9 months or 8 months?

I know the only way to get the 17 months from those two would be to eliminate the 2 week break.

brihard
Rookie Member

Postby brihard » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:12 pm

Mr. Islander wrote:
brihard wrote:

Example-
Join up
- Cl A
- Cl A
- Cl A
- Cl A

Make sense?

Ack... I think.

So if I were to go on a 9 month deployment, then come back and take 2 weeks off and go on an 8 month class B contract.. would I be credited the 9 months or 8 months?

I know the only way to get the 17 months from those two would be to eliminate the 2 week break.

You'd get both; each are separately over 6 months. But if you did 10 months, came back, had two weeks off contract, then did another 5 and a half months, the 5.5 wouldn't be credited because it's <6 continuous.

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:15 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noneck11
Veteran Member

Postby noneck11 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:38 pm

Folks the contract thing is not quite that cut and dried! even without breaks I have seen people both EX CF lose out on the pension time. One dude had his Class C divided into two contracts and as a result got zero credited service for his time overseas.....balls!

The document you will require is the CF 1007 Record of Service form. If you have that completed when you go to Depot it will shorten up your admin period waiting For Morneau Shepell to sort their shit out!

Brihard and Canadian_604 it really is a small world eh!

8ch
Rookie Member

Postby 8ch » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:24 pm

Unless you're a clerk, good luck getting a contract longer than 6 months now a days.

We're not getting any like that at my unit anyway. Might be different out west. Doesn't really affect me personally though since I got the bright idea of getting an education from a hippy institution known as university.

From now on, it's just the summers for me unless I can get a tour in the sandbox.
REGI PATRIAEQUE FIDELIS

ChrisRobin
Veteran Member

Postby ChrisRobin » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:16 pm

So far what people have said about RM is bang on.

"One time, at Depot..."

During the first or second day, we were in the classroom and the facilitators were going through all the different 'jobs' people had to take in the troop. The RM one looked good because I thought it would give you a chance to "stand out" and be the "go-to guy." No one in the troop had military experience and the facilitators even said that position normally goes to ex-military. I only had 7 or so years in army cadets from the late 80's to early/mid 90's, not even real CF experience haha! I thought: "Well marching out the troop during graduation parade would be cool... plus I sure as hell don't want to get stuck in the choir or the band!" So it was between me and two other guys. The first guy (a gung-ho 21 yr old who's dad was a member) had his chance during the first week. Went ok; a lot of admin, kit and clothing, orientation...then it was my turn during the second week. That's when we started drill and wearing uniforms. Much different. I think we ran the entire drill class and didn't even learn anything! At the end of the second week, the third guy that was supposed to try out for RM told me "screw this, it's yours". The 21 yr old told me "if you want it, it's yours! I'll be your Admin Marker (2ic)." And that's how I got it.

Yeah it's a thankless job for sure and you become the lightning rod. During my first staffing meeting (which places you in the a division), the Sgt noticed my clipboard: he said: "ooh, and you're the right marker!"...made a note. I ended up in the right division alright but my postings were somewhat screwed up and I ended up paying for my first move due to what I call a loop-hole in policy.

I used to go on 4 mile runs by myself to get away from everyone. I used to go shine my boots at late at night with my headphones plugged in so I could get some "me" time. I went to bed after everyone else did all the time. I used to go into Regina on Saturdays on my own to run errands just to get away by myself.

The only cool part is you get acknowledged during the final grad dinner by some officer and if you do a good job, drill instructors and facilitators leave you alone and give you some slack.

But in the end... it all stays at depot... so whether you're the mess rep, or on the grad committee or regimental dinner committee (which are the best, laziest, no effort jobs there), none of it really makes a difference once you leave.
Regular member, ME-Division

Gismo111
Rookie Member

Postby Gismo111 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:07 am

Merry Christmas everyone!!!
Can't wait to meet you who are at Depot already and the ones who will be in my Troop and the following Troops. I am enjoying my wife and 2 kids now and waiting for the end of next month to come impatiently!!!

Good luck to everyone still in the process!!!!

Ghis
NS Applicant
Troop 5, January 30th, 2013

Spidey
Rookie Member

Postby Spidey » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:44 pm

ChrisRobin wrote:So far what people have said about RM is bang on.

"One time, at Depot..."

During the first or second day, we were in the classroom and the facilitators were going through all the different 'jobs' people had to take in the troop. The RM one looked good because I thought it would give you a chance to "stand out" and be the "go-to guy." No one in the troop had military experience and the facilitators even said that position normally goes to ex-military. I only had 7 or so years in army cadets from the late 80's to early/mid 90's, not even real CF experience haha! I thought: "Well marching out the troop during graduation parade would be cool... plus I sure as hell don't want to get stuck in the choir or the band!" So it was between me and two other guys. The first guy (a gung-ho 21 yr old who's dad was a member) had his chance during the first week. Went ok; a lot of admin, kit and clothing, orientation...then it was my turn during the second week. That's when we started drill and wearing uniforms. Much different. I think we ran the entire drill class and didn't even learn anything! At the end of the second week, the third guy that was supposed to try out for RM told me "screw this, it's yours". The 21 yr old told me "if you want it, it's yours! I'll be your Admin Marker (2ic)." And that's how I got it.

Yeah it's a thankless job for sure and you become the lightning rod. During my first staffing meeting (which places you in the a division), the Sgt noticed my clipboard: he said: "ooh, and you're the right marker!"...made a note. I ended up in the right division alright but my postings were somewhat screwed up and I ended up paying for my first move due to what I call a loop-hole in policy.

I used to go on 4 mile runs by myself to get away from everyone. I used to go shine my boots at late at night with my headphones plugged in so I could get some "me" time. I went to bed after everyone else did all the time. I used to go into Regina on Saturdays on my own to run errands just to get away by myself.

The only cool part is you get acknowledged during the final grad dinner by some officer and if you do a good job, drill instructors and facilitators leave you alone and give you some slack.

But in the end... it all stays at depot... so whether you're the mess rep, or on the grad committee or regimental dinner committee (which are the best, laziest, no effort jobs there), none of it really makes a difference once you leave.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I still remind my RM that I will be always be thankful for what he did for our troop, and myself. He was an excellent RM, and like yourself, he didn't get anything near his ideal posting... Then again our troop got dealt a pretty limited hand regarding which divisions were open. Pretty much, There was ONE posting available in NS, and the rest were in the NW region.
Ex Mountie.... on to GREENER pastures!

wingsuitcop

Postby wingsuitcop » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:40 pm

My advice would be to volunteer to be in charge for the reg dinner. Least amount of work.

Malibu
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Malibu » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:48 am

Driving liason was good too. Make a schedule for who drives the practice car outside of regular hours and you're done.
***POLICE CONSTABLE***

TheBullTerrier
Rookie Member

Postby TheBullTerrier » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:00 am

I sure hope there is a job giving free hugs. I feel like I would be best suited for that position

go_leafs_go

Postby go_leafs_go » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:33 am

grad committee is a do nothing job until the last 2 months maybe... then it was a pain in the ass trying to make plans and satisfy 32 people and their families, shake them down for money, arrange the seating etc all with the sgt major breathing down your neck. If I could do it again I'd shoot for like running log guy or halfway party guy haha

mmiskiman
Rookie Member

Postby mmiskiman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:12 am

interesting to hear all the different "side jobs" up for grabs at depot! halfway party guy sounds fun! haha.

Finished up my medical on the 19th, and now i have a follow up for my psych test on jan 17th. anyone else have to do a follow up for that? :ponder: