RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
jtquilao
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby jtquilao » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:18 pm

I just turned 24 and currently waiting for a troop date. I agree with the older folks here..there are young people who need more life experience before entering a career in policing. Having said that, shout out to the young applicants out there! Don't let your age stop you from achieving your goals in life. Get a full time job, volunteet, get a diploma and then a degree...get busy and die hard trying(:
Troop 8

mmiskiman
Rookie Member

Postby mmiskiman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:22 pm

jmears wrote:
mmiskiman wrote:also received my medical forms in the mail!! :mrgreen:

You are receiving your paperwork by mail? The only form I received by mail was my score sheet for the PRAT and SFPQ exams. Everything else was done via email. All my forms were email attachments that I printed out. Much faster than relying on Canada Post. Welcome to the easiest part of the recruiting process,(in my eyes), the Medical. The best in success on the rest of the application process for you!

Thanks! Hopefully it moves quick! Most of it has been by email. I receieved the email notifying me of the start of my BGI and the Medical forms in the mail on the same day. I also thought it was a little bit weird getting it in the mail, but excited none the less! its been a looooooong process.

-

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:24 pm

Ones age doesn't make a lick of difference. I know cops/recruits that are in their 30's and are so far beyond uselss it isn't even funny.

The youngest guy in my class is 20 and he's one of the best we have......

Further, I'm not RCMP so I have no idea of the inner workings...but if the budget cuts to the military are any indication....Van is probably hitting the nail right square in the head
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

TheBullTerrier
Rookie Member

Postby TheBullTerrier » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:35 pm

I am not knocking the young guys either. I know a few guys now that are 18-22 that are just stand up guys. But on average the extra life experience can really go a long way when you are trying to get into a field like this. I know for damn sure that I am twice that candidate now as I was when I was 20-25...

wannabe fuzz
Rookie Member

Postby wannabe fuzz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:39 pm

Certainly not knocking the young guys either, but just completed (and passed) my RMSI approx 4 hours ago, and had I done the same at 18 I don't know if I could have answered the questions. Maybe could have related more to school than work, but its been too long for me to rember those days :D.

ironman92
Rookie Member

Postby ironman92 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:48 pm

i am 20 years old and i don't think its necessarily the age that maters. A 30 years old applicant could have no life experience as well. If he worked a boring normal job for 10 years and didn't do any volunteering or anything, he's not worth more then the 20 year old applicant who has maybe more life experience. Its all about the attitude and the willing to improve yourself whether or not you make it to depot.

On another subjects, for the french troops, i think its useless. When you decide to join the RCMP, you know that you are joining a majority anglophone force. Your gonna end up 99.9% in a western division where people only speak English. So when you decide to apply, i think you have enough time to start learning English, due to the length of the process.
Troop 21. January 6 - june 23

zycil27
Rookie Member

Postby zycil27 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:25 pm

More life experience is obviously a benefit, but as others have pointed out, age does not necessarily guarantee it. Although, it does provide more opportunity for life experience...

Many trends in general are showing older populations... On average people are getting into the workforce (in general) later, moving out from their parents' homes later, getting married later, starting families later, etc.-and for various reasons. So it may not really be so much of a "recruiting choosing older applicants" thing, as there may be other factors in effect- though that may still be it.

Ray27
Rookie Member

Postby Ray27 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:28 pm

If everyone in the force was 20 I would be worried. If everyone in the force was 50 I would be worried. If everyone in the force was 30 I wouldn't be that worried. lol

Iglooman1
Rookie Member

Postby Iglooman1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:00 am

I would be worried if those in the force regardless of their age are no longer satisfied with their employer and began to question their career choice. It would be a interesting if members would be asked 2, 4, 8 or even after 10 years of active service if they still believed that they made the right choice to join the RCMP.

It's worth noting that not all organizations are perfect some maybe better than others however this is someones own perception - this is shaped by day to day activities one experiences. I would welcome a frank discussion with someone who has been in the force.

I have been following these forum since I wrote the RPAB most are excited moving onto the next phase of the recruiting process. This likely repeats itself as cadets complete week 1 then two, three of their training program. Yes, exciting and challenging but if all your energies are focused one week to the next did you actually truely and honestly think of your career choice. I know every person in the recuitment process would all say "hell ya" but did you?

regards\

bluenoser1978
Rookie Member

Postby bluenoser1978 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:50 pm

Hell yeah!

ChrisRobin
Veteran Member

Postby ChrisRobin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:29 pm

Iglooman1 wrote:I would be worried if those in the force regardless of their age are no longer satisfied with their employer and began to question their career choice. It would be a interesting if members would be asked 2, 4, 8 or even after 10 years of active service if they still believed that they made the right choice to join the RCMP.

It's worth noting that not all organizations are perfect some maybe better than others however this is someones own perception - this is shaped by day to day activities one experiences. I would welcome a frank discussion with someone who has been in the force.

I have been following these forum since I wrote the RPAB most are excited moving onto the next phase of the recruiting process. This likely repeats itself as cadets complete week 1 then two, three of their training program. Yes, exciting and challenging but if all your energies are focused one week to the next did you actually truely and honestly think of your career choice. I know every person in the recuitment process would all say "hell ya" but did you?

regards\

Well, once in a while they send out surveys to regular members asking various questions and job satisfaction is one of them. The surveys are claimed to be confidential and you don't have to put your name on them. I don't know any members that fill them out at all in fear of something or someone coming back on them. The ones that do fill them out sugar coat things and say everything is fine.

I would love to see a survey get distributed to us with the one simple question: "After X number of years of service, do you believe you made the right choice joining the RCMP?" Surely the results would NEVER see the light of day but I have a feeling I know what the general answer would be.

It's what you make of it I suppose. That's what most members would say. Municipal forces don't have their GD members investigating domestics, B&E's, frauds...etc, from start to end, while the RCMP members do. That's awesome when it comes to experience and we might have a leg up on the muni force guys in that respect. BUT, the work load and pressure increases as we're also supposed to do what the muni force GD guys do and that's trying to be visible and actually 'police' their city. Plus with the RCMP, you're also up against your own organization and management as it looks like they're constantly trying to undermine you with budget cuts and nickel and diming you at every turn.

Also, I don't think anyone joins a police force thinking from one day to the next. They know that their lives are going to change and I'd like to believe those people do think well into the future. I can tell you, it's interesting to see a new member come on board with the most innocent and idealistic intentions...give them a year or two, they start to turn a little bit towards the "dark side" I call it...not because of the job itself (well ok yes a bit because our criminal justice 'system' is pretty useless overall), but because of the organization we work for.
Regular member, ME-Division

ChrisRobin
Veteran Member

Postby ChrisRobin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Another thing... because I'm starting to sound really negative on this forum...

Your detachment you get posted to makes all the difference. I can only use the Lower mainland of BC as an example, but I know some members in certain detachments that are doing really well because their detachment has strong leadership (relatively) and are willing to support their members. Those guys are happy or content. While some in other detachments are ready to pull the plug and join Vancouver PD, New West and others, because of strict budget cuts, lack of courses (because they cost money), and lack of mobility.
Regular member, ME-Division

Malibu
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Malibu » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:47 pm

In myh troop, we had a guy as young as 19 and two old guys in their mid 40s and early 50s. The mid 40s guy was and still is great. The early 50s guy couldn't handle it. He quit after a year. He never could handle depot and even in a slow eastern post he had trouble.

My first posting was a busy place. The very young guys below 24/25 showed imaturity/common sense more than the older guys. The older guys got hurt in fights, got tired on night shifts...old man stuff. I think a good mix is the way to go like others have said. The guys in the 26 to low 30s range seemed to be consistently the best performers on RFT and able to hit the ground running once off RFT - we had a lot of recruits. Our 3 year people regularly were the senior Csts.
***POLICE CONSTABLE***

brihard
Rookie Member

Postby brihard » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:04 pm

ironman92 wrote:i am 20 years old and i don't think its necessarily the age that maters. A 30 years old applicant could have no life experience as well. If he worked a boring normal job for 10 years and didn't do any volunteering or anything, he's not worth more then the 20 year old applicant who has maybe more life experience.

I call bullshit. There are 168 hours in a week. If you spend 40 of them at a 'boring, normal job', you're still gaining considerable 'experience in life'. There's not shortage of things to be learned about interacting with any number of people in most different fields of employment, boring as they may be. Then there are the things that candidate does outside of work, whatever they should be.

The age is by no means a determinant factor- but I'm inclined to believe that someone with 12 years of adult life is more likely to have had considerable and varying experiences than someone with 2. I'm by no means slagging the young one like yourself, but you come across as rather defensive on this one. It's simply the case that most of the time someone who's been on this earth half again as long will probably have more under their belt.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:14 pm

I know a guy who at age 22 was a special forces operator, multiple combat tours, and married with 2 kids.....

Age does not equal life experience.......just sayin
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major