RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
ferdi86
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL RCMP APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby ferdi86 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:18 pm

bluebuds1717 wrote:...just a little patience....oohhhh yeeah.....

Patience is just part of the game if you're willing to play along. Gone are the days of recruiting every Tom, Dick, Harry and Sally that apply to the force. The standards are higher and the competition is a lot harder. Recruiting department review 1000's of applications for a only a few hundred positions every year. I have a friend who went thru the process in the mid 90's and was ready to go to Depot, only to get a call telling him they are closing Depot for at least a year. He's now a corporal. Take advantage of the time you have in between stages of the application process: prepare for the next stages, spend time with friends and family, do whatever. If something is important enough to you, you'll be willing to wait. Besides, isn't the paycheque, benefits and job security just the icing on the cake of a rewarding career with the RCMP?

Honestly, I have never looked at policing for the money. I have had a few interviews with police agencies and I told them I would do it for free just so you can see who I am and what I stand for. I can do a lot of other jobs that pay way more than policing, that's not me. I have never worked for the money and never will. Growing up in a third world country makes you look at things a little bit different my friend. Money is the last thing I ever ask for.

ferdi86
Rookie Member

Postby ferdi86 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:21 pm

argyll wrote:
ferdi86 wrote: Maybe brother maybe, I cannot predict the future, but going in that's not my intention. And that is what I have a problem with, people that do not care about being cops, but look at policing as just another mean of income.
Cheers!

you're going to have a problem with a lot of serving cops then !

:D I don't let my ideas and feelings affect my relationship with anyone. If you or anyone else does it for a reason, that's you and I respect that, not a problem. Just because I don't think something is right, doesn't make me right, I am a very lenient person brother. I love them all, we all different and that's the beauty of it.

Vulcan
Sage Member

Postby Vulcan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:36 am

It is ok to want to join the policing world but it also ok to call the RCMP application process lame for taking so long. Even the commissioner has commented that the process is too long and he brags about any small improvements in the process....

nubbsy
Rookie Member
Location: Obstacles are the things you see when you lose sight of the goal.

Postby nubbsy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:45 am

ferdi86 wrote:
bluebuds1717 wrote:...just a little patience....oohhhh yeeah.....

Patience is just part of the game if you're willing to play along. Gone are the days of recruiting every Tom, Dick, Harry and Sally that apply to the force. The standards are higher and the competition is a lot harder. Recruiting department review 1000's of applications for a only a few hundred positions every year. I have a friend who went thru the process in the mid 90's and was ready to go to Depot, only to get a call telling him they are closing Depot for at least a year. He's now a corporal. Take advantage of the time you have in between stages of the application process: prepare for the next stages, spend time with friends and family, do whatever. If something is important enough to you, you'll be willing to wait. Besides, isn't the paycheque, benefits and job security just the icing on the cake of a rewarding career with the RCMP?

Honestly, I have never looked at policing for the money. I have had a few interviews with police agencies and I told them I would do it for free just so you can see who I am and what I stand for. I can do a lot of other jobs that pay way more than policing, that's not me. I have never worked for the money and never will. Growing up in a third world country makes you look at things a little bit different my friend. Money is the last thing I ever ask for.

Everyone works for the money, it's very hard to feed a family or yourself with a full time Volunteer position.
It's not why we fall that defines us, it's what we do when we get back up.
Career Presentation. 14-07-07
RPAB.14-07-08
Package. 14-08-12
RMAQ Phone interview. 14-10-09 passed
File at panel review.passed
PARE. 15-01-10
RMSI. 15-01-20

cyrusdm
Rookie Member

Postby cyrusdm » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:06 am

Vulcan wrote:It is ok to want to join the policing world but it also ok to call the RCMP application process lame for taking so long. Even the commissioner has commented that the process is too long and he brags about any small improvements in the process....

I think the bottom line is that we as applicants have to wait as long as is necessary, because that's just how the process currently works. Yes its very long but in the end it will be worth it. But that said there's really no way to defend a 2 year + application process. Some provinces are around the 1 year mark beginning to end and I think thatss very reasonable. If the rcmp had endless resources it'd be great for them to be able to staff O division with enough members to make that happen, but since I don't see that happening any time soon its just hurry up and wait. Fair enough, I'm on board even if it takes 3 years.

bluebuds1717
Rookie Member

Postby bluebuds1717 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:25 pm

cyrusdm wrote:
Vulcan wrote:It is ok to want to join the policing world but it also ok to call the RCMP application process lame for taking so long. Even the commissioner has commented that the process is too long and he brags about any small improvements in the process....

I think the bottom line is that we as applicants have to wait as long as is necessary, because that's just how the process currently works. Yes its very long but in the end it will be worth it. But that said there's really no way to defend a 2 year + application process. Some provinces are around the 1 year mark beginning to end and I think thatss very reasonable. If the rcmp had endless resources it'd be great for them to be able to staff O division with enough members to make that happen, but since I don't see that happening any time soon its just hurry up and wait. Fair enough, I'm on board even if it takes 3 years.

....well put!!....
RCMP "E" Division : TROOP 15 : JAN 31 - JULY 23

Spidey
Rookie Member

Postby Spidey » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:10 pm

Todd_S wrote:Having gone through the process for the last 6 months + I would have to say that the wait has never dulled my desire to be a police officer. (Which like most I imagined first came into fruition as a child playing cops and robbers...and then changed with adulthood to it's reality) It really does have to be more than a paycheck I think (but those are nice of course) ...and I am very happy to see just how stringent the RCMP are with their applicants. I mean the reality of it is that these officers are given a gun, and certain responsibilities then put out in the public. Not only do they have to rely on each other, but joe average needs to feel that they can rely and trust them too. To make sure they get people who can fill that bill well...there's alot of testing screening and interview upon interview that takes place. Like someone said there are thousands of applicants and I don't want to envision the backlog in some places. But in the end I am glad for the process as it is...even if I have been suffering a nerve attack every time the phone rings for the last 6 or 7 months :)

When folks want something bad enough, it's worth the wait for a job like that.

Easy for you to say... seeing your process will likely take 1/4 of the time others have to endure! ;)
Ex Mountie.... on to GREENER pastures!

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:36 pm

bluebuds1717 wrote: Gone are the days of recruiting every Tom, Dick, Harry and Sally that apply to the force. The standards are higher and the competition is a lot harder.

Actually it's the opposite.
Last edited by Jim Street on Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:39 pm

Jim Street wrote:[quote="bluebuds1717] Gone are the days of recruiting every Tom, Dick, Harry and Sally that apply to the force. The standards are higher and the competition is a lot harder. [/quote]

Actually it's the opposite.[/quote]

I know. I burst out laughing at that one too.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

KSG
Rookie Member

Postby KSG » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:25 pm

Jim Street wrote:
bluebuds1717 wrote: Gone are the days of recruiting every Tom, Dick, Harry and Sally that apply to the force. The standards are higher and the competition is a lot harder.

Actually it's the opposite.

Is this strictly the RCMP that has low standards and little competition between applicants or all police services? And if the standards are so low, and very few competitive people apply, why does it take up to two years for successful applicants to get an offer? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here I'm honestly wondering what your take is on this. To me (an outsider with very little experience in the matter) it seems like they are able to be fairly pickey since only about 575 people will be going through depot next year. For a force over 20 000 members, that seems like a small amount of hires to me.
Calgary Police Service

Spidey
Rookie Member

Postby Spidey » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:08 pm

I am sure the competitiveness is high in terms of the percentage of applicants that get selected to train at depot, but I would like to know why Jim thinks that they candidates are not "cream of the crop". Is is the fact that most applicants who want to become LEO, apply with their hometown city/municipal forces?

pukie
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby pukie » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:12 pm

Spidey wrote: but I would like to know why Jim thinks that they candidates are not "cream of the crop".

Quotas!

Spidey
Rookie Member

Postby Spidey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:24 am

pukie wrote:
Spidey wrote: but I would like to know why Jim thinks that they candidates are not "cream of the crop".

Quotas!

so because the RCMP has to fulfill their women, and visible minority benchmarks, you guys think that decreases the standards of the RCMP? I am just asking out of curiosity, not starting a debate.

Helen_Keller
Rookie Member

Postby Helen_Keller » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:27 am

I imagine the candidates of a particular quota still have to meet the requirements of the RCMP.
"X" Division Applicant
Career Presentation: 09/08/2012
RPAB: 23/08/2012