RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Respond Wayne » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:29 pm

This thread will be just as the title reads... general discussion among RCMP Applicants!

But if you have a question for an RCMP Member you can go >>> HERE <<<

This thread brought to you in part by argyll. ;)

rcmp43

Re: GENERAL RCMP APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby rcmp43 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:33 pm

:D :D :D
Last edited by rcmp43 on Sat May 08, 2010 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Division
Exam: Dec 06
PARE: Feb 07
Interview: Jun 07
Poly: Sept 07
Med/Dental/Psych: Nov 07
BGI : May 08
Deferred for a year
Sept 09: Appealed file closure
Jan '10: Schedualed for Poly Sept 10.
July 10: Poly cancelled...not competitive

Mailman
Sage Member

Postby Mailman » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:50 pm

rcmp43 wrote:Good idea for the RCMP thread as not all police forces have the same application process. I thought I saw someone write that Depot is now full for the months of April and May...can anyone confirm that for me??

Good chance with the amount of applicants that they have that they would be a month ahead in the troops. All of may seems a bit far ahead but it's possible?
That would mean that I won't be going until july then most likely.

Caroline
RCMP Recruiter

Postby Caroline » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:03 am

Nope, May is not full for central anyways

Caroline

Marcus Mensrea
Rookie Member

Postby Marcus Mensrea » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:38 am

I've thought about applying to the RCMP a couple times lately but am currently in backgrounds for a smaller police service right now. Hope to know by next week if I'm in...

Anyways my question for you guys is, how long does the average application for the RCMP take from submitting papers to getting the letter that you're in? For me with the service I applied for it seemed to take forever for my application to be responded to (about two months), then within two weeks I went for interviews, written testing, physical testing, psychological, and now I'm in backgrounds. I'm just curious how fast it seems to go with the RCMP? Lots of waiting around or does it all get wrapped up quick?

Honestly I would've applied to the RC's about two years ago but going six months without pay just doesn't seem practical for me at this time, especially with just about every other service paying for training and just as desperate for good recruits. I've been lurking around here for a bit and don't mean to start up that discussion again, but from an applicants point of view it sure would be more appealing to be given at least a humble payment. At least so that some bills can be covered while in training. Otherwise I don't know how guys like me at 27 with a mortgage, credit card, and student loan payments can hope to go to depot without budgeting and trying to save up for a couple years. I really wouldn't want to go further into debt when there are other options. The way it is I can see a lot of 18-20 year olds with no debt and no responsibilities or 40+ year olds with kids moving on, a wife who's willing to cover the mortgage or the mortgage paid off and next to no debt are the ones who can afford six months of no pay.

Sorry for wall of text for first post, and I certainly don't mean to annoy or pee anyone off with my comments... just figure this is the general RCMP chit chat area. :)

All respect,
Marc

Mailman
Sage Member

Postby Mailman » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:43 am

Hey Marc, welcome to the board. As you read you will see a number of those questions answered in length.

I will how ever give you the short answer, If you want a fast application process and can't afford (no one really can) to go to training and not get paid...

Don't both applying to the RCMP.

Read some some of the other posts though there is other forces and also some good forums about the RCMP going on.

minitank

Postby minitank » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:19 pm

I didn't want to disrupt the other RCMP : ask a recruiter thread.

I just wanted to ask if someone can enlighten me on the work of a Federal RCMP officer in the GTA? ie: Pearson detachment ?

I know it's mostly desk work and investigations. But what else? do they have marked RCMP vehicles? do they patrol the airport with Peel police? do they arrest and interrogate people? I am just wondering what other things do they do than paperwork... I see a lot of jokes about the only action they get is "getting a cup of coffee from the break room" lol.

Another thing is, I was told that in Quebec, if you are on federal duty, you can work a few patrol shifts with the Montreal police service. Montreal Police allow RCMP officers doing patrols in the area. Is there such thing in Ontario?

thanks!

Caroline
RCMP Recruiter

Postby Caroline » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:51 am

minitank wrote:I didn't want to disrupt the other RCMP : ask a recruiter thread.

I just wanted to ask if someone can enlighten me on the work of a Federal RCMP officer in the GTA? ie: Pearson detachment ?

I know it's mostly desk work and investigations. But what else? do they have marked RCMP vehicles? do they patrol the airport with Peel police? do they arrest and interrogate people? I am just wondering what other things do they do than paperwork... I see a lot of jokes about the only action they get is "getting a cup of coffee from the break room" lol.

Another thing is, I was told that in Quebec, if you are on federal duty, you can work a few patrol shifts with the Montreal police service. Montreal Police allow RCMP officers doing patrols in the area. Is there such thing in Ontario?

thanks!
You have to know someone in Mtl PD to do that. It's not like we send members for Cobra's for them to get experience. If you want to do patrol, don't ask for Qc or Ontario thinking that you will do shifts with a municipal or provincial PD to compensate.

Chris_53
Seasoned Member

Postby Chris_53 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:51 pm

minitank wrote:I didn't want to disrupt the other RCMP : ask a recruiter thread.

I know it's mostly desk work and investigations.
Sounds like what I do in general duty in a contract division...with emphasis on the desk work and PROS machine.

KL
Poobah Overlord

Postby KL » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:56 pm

The Toronto Airport Detachment has the following sections - Customs and Excise, Drugs, Federal Enforcement, Police Dog, Forensic Identification, Internal Affairs and the Immigration Task Force.

The Drug Section includes members from the Toronto Police Service and Peel Regional Police. The other units are just RCMP. Most of the Airport Detachment units don't do a whole lot of arrests. The investigations tend to be on a larger scale. That means they take more time and (hopefully) target higher end criminals. The downside is they don't get a high volume of arrests. The idea is quality not quantity. The Federal Enforcement Section spends most of their time doing drug work with CBSA. They work in uniform part-time and use marked RCMP vehicles.

The one exception is the Immigration Task Force. That unit has RCMP, CBSA, Toronto Police and the OPP. They go after high-risk immigration fugitives. The success rate varies but they can arrest several targets in a day if things work out.

Semper Fi
Veteran Member

Postby Semper Fi » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:39 am

Since this is the 'chit chat' area, and there is no 'book review' area, I'll post a mini review of an RCMP related book that I just read.

The book: A Master of Deception...'Working Undercover for the RCMP'.

Written by: Robert Knuckle

Summary: The book relates the experiences of a retired RCMP member (Carl MacLeod) and his thirty-two year career. MacLeod spent a good amount of his career on UC assignments targeting criminal organizations ranging from the Mafia to the Colombian cartels to Asian drug triads.

It won't win a Pulitzer, but I thought that it was an interesting read, as it offered a partial glimpse into an area of Canadian policing that is not written about much.

Does anyone else have a recommendation of RCMP centered books that are worth reading?

paulb5
Veteran Member

Postby paulb5 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:31 am

How long does it take on average for the medical and BGI to call after polygraph? I`m on my 7 week of waiting.

specificly: A division

minitank

Postby minitank » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:47 am

Semper Fi wrote:Since this is the 'chit chat' area, and there is no 'book review' area, I'll post a mini review of an RCMP related book that I just read.

The book: A Master of Deception...'Working Undercover for the RCMP'.

Written by: Robert Knuckle

Summary: The book relates the experiences of a retired RCMP member (Carl MacLeod) and his thirty-two year career. MacLeod spent a good amount of his career on UC assignments targeting criminal organizations ranging from the Mafia to the Colombian cartels to Asian drug triads.

It won't win a Pulitzer, but I thought that it was an interesting read, as it offered a partial glimpse into an area of Canadian policing that is not written about much.

Does anyone else have a recommendation of RCMP centered books that are worth reading?
Hey, the book you listed sounds interesting, i will look into it.

I read a book on the "Mr.BIG" operation that the RCMP carries out. I love the MR.BIG operation, I think it's fair and legal. The only negative i have with the operation is the cost. Sometimes it gets really expensive.

The book i recommend:

Title: To the Grave : Inside a spectacular RCMP sting.
Author: Mike McIntyre
ISBN: 1-894283-68-6

The book is about the murder of Erin Chorney from Brandon, Manitoba. It's not a fiction story, it's based on newsarchives, and police records. ALL DIALOGUE and events in the book are real.

He also wrote the book on Constable Dennis Strongquill's death. It's called: Nowhere to Run: The Killing of Constable Dennis Strongquill.

His books have numerous awards. They are disturbing at parts because you realize this isn't fiction, it actually happened.

I've done research on this topic, and honestly the RCMP officers are always careful not to ruin the person's life incase they do turn out innocent.
As for the BC case with the two youths, Atif Rafay and Sebastian Burns I blame the US courts, in particular the US judge and NOT the RCMP. They got the info, it is clear that their confessions don't match the actual crime. ie: the way they said they killed the mother compared to how they actually found her at the crime scene don't match.
The court should have spotted that and many other discrepancies with the confessions and found them innocent. In the end, they were stupid to confess to something they never did...even if it was to join the gang for financial gains. They also got screwed over and got a conservative judge who is known to be tough.
I actually met Sebastian Burns ' sister, she made a movie and was a guest lecturer in my criminology class.
Sucks to be them, don't joke about confessing to a murder...you never know who is listening or you are actually confessing to.

It sucks that the operation reached the media. It's probably less effective now.

Fubo144
Rookie Member

Postby Fubo144 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:48 am

I waited from July 07 to Jan 08 to hear word that the background was beginning.

Patience young Jedi. Don't quit your job yet, you'll get your turn.

Cheers from O div.

grizzlyhero

Postby grizzlyhero » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:24 pm

I am reading To the Grave right now and it is a very good book.

I finished reading The Yuletide Bandit (also by Mike McIntyre) last week and thought it was very good. It is about a serial criminal who holds up armoured cars. It is non fiction and based on actual event like the other two. It doesn't really involve the RCMP to much, as it happens mostly in Winnipeg (where I'm from) and deals mostly with the Winnipeg Police. Very interesting read nonetheless.

I will be reading Nowhere to Run next.

You might want to read Mountie Makers by Robert Gordon Teather. It is from his experiences in Depot about 40 years ago. I thought it was excellent and it really got my excited about going to Depot.

I also have a book called Best Mounted Police Stories. It is written by numerous authors and looks quite interesting. I got it from a relative who got it from a used book store (Looks fairly recent though).

I also have a big hard cover book about the history of Depot. I borrowed it to a friend right now so I don't recall the exact name.