*** ASK AN RCMP RECRUITER ***

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

VanSmack

Re: *** ASK AN RCMP RECRUITER ***

Postby VanSmack » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:17 pm

TimeToGiveBack wrote:Apologies if my search was awful. Even attempted in the main discussion.
Is it possible to potentially receive a conditional offer prior to Medical Clearance?
Quite a big back-log right now from what I’ve been told.

I was just issued my Security Clearance today.

Typically I’ve seen others being offered a conditional pending SC.
But have not seen pending Medical.

Appreciate any light shed. (Again, mostly just asking if it’s ultra rare, rare, common).
Extremely unlikely. The people looking at your file to determine if you'll get a conditional offer pending security clearance can look at all the material they've amassed through your application and make a semi-informed determination of what they feel your odds of being security cleared are. Those same individuals are not doctors or psychologists, and even if they were, they haven't collected any information whatsoever on your physical/psychological state at any point through the application process that would assist them in determining someone's fitness for duty, even more so now that no one does a PARE test prior to showing up at Depot.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

Uter

Postby Uter » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:32 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a rough national breakdown (%) of the detachments that have posting lengths of 3 year vs. 5 year? Are new recruits pushed towards 5 year postings?

Also, are positions for experienced members in the National Capital Region highly sought after?
For jobs that aren’t front-line, do you need to be a corporal or higher rank to work in specialized units (off McCarthur or Leikin for instance), or are there opportunities available at constable level?

Thanks very much.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:09 pm

Uter wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a rough national breakdown (%) of the detachments that have posting lengths of 3 year vs. 5 year? Are new recruits pushed towards 5 year postings?

Also, are positions for experienced members in the National Capital Region highly sought after?
For jobs that aren’t front-line, do you need to be a corporal or higher rank to work in specialized units (off McCarthur or Leikin for instance), or are there opportunities available at constable level?

Thanks very much.
You are thinking about things that you have NO control over.

We have limited duration posts, not only in the 3 Arctic Territories, but also in MB ("D" Division (Div)), SK ("F" Div), and AB ("K" Div), but Cadets get posted where the Force happens to have openings as of when these Cadets have finished Depot. There is NO guarantee,

As far as being posted to Ottawa, possibly longer than any temporary work on Parliament Hill, you may as well buy a lottery ticket and hope to not need to work ever again.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
MPPAC & NPF supporter
Husband, Dad, F-I-L, & Grampa

dazheb
Rookie Member

Postby dazheb » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:42 pm

Hi All,

I hope you are doing well. This is my fist question to anyone so my apologies if I am using this website in a wrong way.

My RCMP Selection Package is due soon

I have completed all of it. Just wanted to clarify one question.

My mother had passed away in 2015. So my father married again in 2018.
Unfortunately the 2nd marriage was not successful and they separated after
3 months in 2018. She had 3 sons who all lived out of Canada and they were my step brothers for 3 months I guess but I just had one phone conversation with them prior to their marriage.

My question is do I still need to include my father's second wife's details in 330-60 online security clearance form even though they have separated.
My only concern is I don't have any communication with them and it's not possible to get all the information.

Really appreciate your guidance in this regard.

Yours sincerely,

dazheb

Ashley175
Rookie Member

Postby Ashley175 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:13 pm

Good day Forums,

I have recently gone through the RCMP recruitment process in an effort to follow my husband who will finish training in the coming weeks. I had passed the polygraph according to an email I received, everything seemed promising. I only had my psych evaluation left.

I then received an email stating that "I regret to inform you that our Departmental Security Breach has denied you clearance...your application has been closed and as such your Recruiting Analyst is not able to offer any further information on this matter. Please do not contact your Recruiting Analyst to discuss the conclusion of your file"".

I am shocked by the results, to say the least. Should this letter not contain the reasons for my denied clearance?
As per the Standard on Security Screening, Appendix E - Review and Rights of Redress 1. Procedural Fairness I was not briefed or given written reasons for the decision nor was I informed in writing of my right to redress and review.

If anyone has any experience or advice it would be greatly appreciated. At the moment, I am confused by the verdict and at the very least would like to know the reason for the decision. Is this a possibility?

Ashley175
Rookie Member

Postby Ashley175 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:24 am

No I didn’t even get an email stating this. The only information given was denied with no reason and to not contact my recruiter and my file has been closed.
It’s unfortunate that there is no way of being able to speak to someone from the department to be given the opportunity to clarify any possible miscommunication.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:18 am

ANOTHER reminder about this forum that:
- APPLICANTS (anyone interested in applying, or that has already applied) to join the RCMP can post QUESTIONS to be answered by RECRUITERS;
- ONLY RCMP members who are Recruiters (Caroline, if she is not out saving the world; Ont. RCMP Recruiter, who, like Dr Who, constantly re-invents themselves, which is kind-of cute, but only I can say that about them; or those of other Divisions, if they contact Dave Brown, VanSmack, or me, first so we can vett them, and extract our franchise fee), Dave Brown (brings the RCMP-barracks-brat flavour to the table), Depot Web (because, hey, he helps set up the maze, and might put a piece of cheese at the end of it, at Depot), VanSmack (being a moderator who is all-wise - or is it he is a wise-arse, I don't know), or me (as a moderator, I bring the rickety old-guy theme with rugged good looks) can post ANSWERS;
- opp2 is a moderator as well, but she has her plate full of ON issues, so she lets those of us above figure this thread out on our own.
- ANYONE ELSE posting ANSWERS, or follow-up QUESTIONS to, APPLICANTS questions will have, and recently have had, their posts DELETED, without further warning, explanation, or moving of same to the RCMP Applicant General Chit Chat, or specific Province, threads.

Your compliance with the above is expected, while your happiness with it is not relevant. Your sanity, given your interest / application, is questionable, but every RCMP member of every level and rank "gets" it.
MPPAC & NPF supporter

alexanderj306
Rookie Member

Postby alexanderj306 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:19 am

I am currently in university, biology major but am planning to take a break (or drop) from school to pursue my dream job. I am also planning to work full-time as a security guard and volunteer for the RCMP. Presently, I am volunteering at a hospital and public library to prove my passion for my community.

I meet every qualifications on the RCMP website. However, I am worried if a high diploma is enough.

What are my chances with only a high school diploma and how can I increase my chances to be recruited?

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:27 pm

alexanderj306 wrote:I am currently in university, biology major but am planning to take a break (or drop) from school to pursue my dream job. I am also planning to work full-time as a security guard and volunteer for the RCMP. Presently, I am volunteering at a hospital and public library to prove my passion for my community.

I meet every qualifications on the RCMP website. However, I am worried if a high diploma is enough.

What are my chances with only a high school diploma and how can I increase my chances to be recruited?
Apply, and find out - you either get in, which you currently are not, or do not, and no change.
MPPAC & NPF supporter

Depot Web
Lord of the Poobahs
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan

Postby Depot Web » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:13 pm

alexanderj306 wrote:What are my chances with only a high school diploma and how can I increase my chances to be recruited?
The only educational requirement is a high school diploma or the equivalent.

A post-secondary degree or diploma may let you skip the written entrance exam, but it is not a requirement.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division

CanadianQuackers
Rookie Member

Re: *** ASK AN ONTARIO RCMP RECRUITER ***

Postby CanadianQuackers » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:30 am

Hey,

I have a few questions regarding the application process:

1) I understand that applicants from BC have (or had) the option to return to BC for their initial posting after Depot, my understanding was due to staffing issues in that region. Is this still the case and is it possible for applicants from other province to do the same? For instance, if an applicant has a desire to work in BC over other provinces, is it likely they have a spot in that province or is it dependent on staffing?

2) Are there opportunities within the RCMP for free/subsidized language courses, specifically French?

Pete Broccolo

Re: *** ASK AN ONTARIO RCMP RECRUITER ***

Postby Pete Broccolo » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:29 am

CanadianQuackers wrote:Hey,

I have a few questions regarding the application process:

1) I understand that applicants from BC have (or had) the option to return to BC for their initial posting after Depot, my understanding was due to staffing issues in that region. Is this still the case and is it possible for applicants from other province to do the same? For instance, if an applicant has a desire to work in BC over other provinces, is it likely they have a spot in that province or is it dependent on staffing?

2) Are there opportunities within the RCMP for free/subsidized language courses, specifically French?
1/ Mostly, kind-of like how successful applicants originally from MB, SK, and AB, mostly get posted to "D", "F", and "K", Divisions (the RCMP designations for those Provinces - more or less) after successfully completing Basic Cadet Training Program AND accepting their first posting. "E" Div is the largest Contract Policing Division, with the largest Municipal Contracts, so between retirements, resignations / patch-overs, dismissals, deaths, yes, most newly-graduated Cadets that were born, grew-up, and worked, elsewhere, whether they wanted to, or not, end up there.
It depends on all of those factors, applied right across the Force, with the golden ticket being the odd time a spot opens up in the Atlantic Provinces, with the platinum one being a spot in NL.
That, and how accurate the dart with the Cadet's name on it is thrown at the map, and whether or not Staffing has up-graded the back-stop so that the dart sticks its landing.

I will let others AUTHORIZED TO POST ANSWERS deal with your language training question.

As always, these questions have come up before, been answered several, if not thousands of, times, and parameters and policies can change in the time it takes to wiggle off both high-browns. Troopmates 1 number apart in either HRMIS or Regimental #, and originally from opposites ends of Kanata, could end up being posted to each other's home Province, and no amount of reasoned discussion, tearful pleading, offers of inducement, or threats of bodily harm, will change that outcome, other than to REALLY make your first Field Trainer VIOLENTLY upset with you...even 18 years later (HEY, MGM! I am staring daggers your way, you twit!!)
MPPAC & NPF supporter

New_BC
Rookie Member

Postby New_BC » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:54 pm

What are recruitment opinions on applicants that have any kind of competitive combat sport experience? I have been told different things from different people; Individuals who have boxed in the past or grapple as a hobby may be exceptionally aggressive and the wrong temperament for a career in law enforcement. I have also been told that it is good experience that can be related to proper use of force if the situation warrants it. Is this something I should emphasize during my recruitment process?
Thanks!

RazzleDazzle
Rookie Member

Postby RazzleDazzle » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:41 pm

Hey,

I have a question regarding the Standard First Aid requirement. I have OFA2 and CPR-C. The analyst told me my CPR-C was valid but the OFA2 was not valid. St. John Ambulance states on their website that OFA2 meets the Canada Labour Code for Standard First Aid. Is there a particular reason the higher level training doesn't qualify? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:40 am

New_BC wrote:What are recruitment opinions on applicants that have any kind of competitive combat sport experience? I have been told different things from different people; Individuals who have boxed in the past or grapple as a hobby may be exceptionally aggressive and the wrong temperament for a career in law enforcement. I have also been told that it is good experience that can be related to proper use of force if the situation warrants it. Is this something I should emphasize during my recruitment process?
Thanks!
When it is appropriate, mention it, and when not, do not.
If you get accepted to Depot, you will have lots of opportunities to demonstrate what skills you have...in all areas.
Apply, relax a bit, wait...then repeat 2 & 3 as needed.
MPPAC & NPF supporter