*** ASK AN RCMP RECRUITER ***

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Caroline
RCMP Recruiter

*** ASK AN RCMP RECRUITER ***

Postby Caroline » Wed May 16, 2007 9:47 am

Hi
I'm Cst Caroline Letang and I am a RCMP recruiter for Quebec and Ontario. I have been a member for close to 7 years, I started in Newfoundland and got a transfer to Montreal VIP unit after 3 years. I did 3 years in VIP protection and wanted to come to recruiting and was granted the transfer in October.

I am posting this topic to help out a little. Here are the guidelines.

Don't ask me I f I did this will I be refused? First it is case by case and most times I won't get the hole story... Just remember that we are not looking for angels but honest people.

I won't answer any medical questions like "if I have asthma will I be refused"? Only the division doctor can make that decision because again it is case by case.

To register for an info session in Ont and QC or get info on your file call
1-877-888-0433. It is also the info line for the Atlantic region (soon to be the entire country).

If I don't know the Answer I will find out.

If you want to verify this info go on the RCMP web site under recruiting for QC and Ont and check the mentors. You can also write to me at caroline.letang@rcmp-grc.gc.ca .

Note updated by Respond Wayne, January 16, 2010-

Due to the large number of answers provided so far, it's best that you use the >>> SEARCH <<< feature before asking a question...

- Enter the "keywords" you want to search for...
- In the "Search for author:" box enter any one of the following (this is optional)...
KL
VanSmack
argyll
jos1985
Mountiegirl
Depot Web
Maximum_Mu
wicked_police
Pete Broccolo
RCMP Recruiter
NWR Recruiting

- Under the "Search in forums:" tab select "Law Enforcement Applicants (FAQ)".

This should help find your answer (if there is one).

Depot Web is the Webmaster at Depot, he can answer Depot related questions.
Last edited by Caroline on Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

the1captain
Grand Poobah

Postby the1captain » Wed May 16, 2007 9:59 am

First, thanks for taking the time to post here.

I know the process can vary, but what is the average time for going all the way in the hiring process?

Obviously if hired one goes wherever the service needs you to go. But I'm from Ontario. Since the RCMP doesn't have contract policing in Ontario, is it safe to assume I would have zero possiblility of staying in Ontario if hired?

Caroline
RCMP Recruiter

Postby Caroline » Wed May 16, 2007 10:10 am

the1captain wrote:First, thanks for taking the time to post here.

I know the process can vary, but what is the average time for going all the way in the hiring process?

Obviously if hired one goes wherever the service needs you to go. But I'm from Ontario. Since the RCMP doesn't have contract policing in Ontario, is it safe to assume I would have zero possiblility of staying in Ontario if hired?
Hi !
Our new processing ceter is now processing faster then ever ! We are talking about a 6 to 9 month delay. It also depends how fast the applicants are sending back there forms or doing the testings, there availabilities for interviews etc..

For Qc and Ont most of our recruits go to contract provinces (which in my personal opinion is best for the recruits anyway ) but we are bringing back a few that have for exemple a degree in economics or law etc. I suggest you go get experience in a contract province and come back to Ontario in due time in a field that you will be sure to like.

hope this was helpful
Cst Letang

djlottawa
Sage Member

Postby djlottawa » Wed May 16, 2007 10:15 am

Here is one for you mountiegirl,

If I failed the test the first time, I take it again and pass it, will the fact that I failed it once look bad for me when reapplying?
Denis

Vonn
Sage Member

Postby Vonn » Wed May 16, 2007 11:40 am

Hi Mountiegirl - THANKS!

I'm "O" division applicant :D

Currently I am waiting for the polygraph. I don't have any questions for you at the moment, but it's nice to know you're available if I do have any :D

Have a great day!
Instant Human... Just add Coffee!

Caroline
RCMP Recruiter

Postby Caroline » Wed May 16, 2007 11:50 am

djlottawa wrote:Here is one for you mountiegirl,

If I failed the test the first time, I take it again and pass it, will the fact that I failed it once look bad for me when reapplying?
djlottawa
Do I sense some sarcasmin your message ? If not maybe it's just me...
No many of our applicants have done it a few times before they pass or in the past we only took the best marks (different needs back then) so people would write quite a few times. But that is no problem, it just proves that you don't give up.

I don't pretend that I am a know it all

djlottawa
Sage Member

Postby djlottawa » Wed May 16, 2007 12:24 pm

oh god no lol. That was not sarcasm :> and thanks for the multiple replies. I feel like you wanted to make sure and get your answer out ;P.

I am glad of your answer. I was worried about that since in some things, if you failed once and have to rewrite, they do look at the fact that you had to re-write it. But your answer eases my mind. I might have failed a test, but I look at it as I have not failed my dream. <smile>
Denis

HWC
Veteran Member

Postby HWC » Wed May 16, 2007 12:33 pm

djlottawa wrote:oh god no lol. That was not sarcasm :> and thanks for the multiple replies. I feel like you wanted to make sure and get your answer out ;P.

I am glad of your answer. I was worried about that since in some things, if you failed once and have to rewrite, they do look at the fact that you had to re-write it. But your answer eases my mind. I might have failed a test, but I look at it as I have not failed my dream. <smile>
I think in Ontario, ATS sees something like 70% of failure for first time PATI writers? Do they even look at how many times a candidate write the test? I would think the recruiters stay within the timeline that starts with you sending in your resume..?

sunsetson
Seasoned Member

Postby sunsetson » Wed May 16, 2007 12:56 pm

thanks Mountiegirl for your assistance...

Q:

I reside near "J" division and HQ. If I were to successfully complete the recruiting process and upon graduation, do I have an opportunity to give my preference as to where I would like to be posted? I was told that 50% of graduates are posted in BC and the remainder everywhere else but Ont and QC. Being officially bilingual, do I stand a chance of being posted back to my province (i.e. NB)? I understand the mobility clause and expectations but I would be interested in learning your perpective.

Any info would be appreciated

Caroline
RCMP Recruiter

Postby Caroline » Wed May 16, 2007 12:59 pm

djlottawa wrote:oh god no lol. That was not sarcasm :> and thanks for the multiple replies. I feel like you wanted to make sure and get your answer out ;P.

djlottawa
Sorry about the multiple post ! Having problems with internet ! Glad that we are on same page. We have people that try for 10 years ! so they did write a few times !

fcharby
Rookie Member

Postby fcharby » Wed May 16, 2007 1:00 pm

Well, since everyone is going at it, I have a question too....

I have been in the process since September 2006 and I did my test in October of the same year, everything went great so far and I've been informed last week that my BGI was officially starting. Now, I called the person in charge of my file to ask a few questions and she told me I had to pass 3 "second language" exams before I could get to depot, if I do get that far of course.

The thing is, every exam is booked until the end of July and according to her, there is no hope to get there before September. Normally that wouldn't bother me, but I am currently renting my mother's house and I have to move out around the end June, because she decided to sell it. So, finally, I want to know if there is a way for me to speed things up or maybe get an exemption somehow by doing some things or some tests on my own....?

And if not, since my girlfriend lives with me and she has nowhere else to go, could we move to Regina while I'm still in the process? She already wanted to come with me and even if I don't get in, we would enjoy a little time away from Montreal, in another city...

Anyway, we'll figure out a way to get by, but if you have an answer, I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot for reading, I know it was a long post!

Caroline
RCMP Recruiter

Postby Caroline » Wed May 16, 2007 1:46 pm

fcharby wrote:Well, since everyone is going at it, I have a question too....

I have been in the process since September 2006 and I did my test in October of the same year, everything went great so far and I've been informed last week that my BGI was officially starting. Now, I called the person in charge of my file to ask a few questions and she told me I had to pass 3 "second language" exams before I could get to depot, if I do get that far of course.

The thing is, every exam is booked until the end of July and according to her, there is no hope to get there before September. Normally that wouldn't bother me, but I am currently renting my mother's house and I have to move out around the end June, because she decided to sell it. So, finally, I want to know if there is a way for me to speed things up or maybe get an exemption somehow by doing some things or some tests on my own....?

And if not, since my girlfriend lives with me and she has nowhere else to go, could we move to Regina while I'm still in the process? She already wanted to come with me and even if I don't get in, we would enjoy a little time away from Montreal, in another city...

Anyway, we'll figure out a way to get by, but if you have an answer, I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot for reading, I know it was a long post!
Hi fcharby
First yes right now we are having a few delays caused by the language training. As for mouving to Regina ! That is a personal choice but what if ... Also if you are sent to Regina you will be staying on the base from Sunday night to thursday night. To me that would be an extra stress to have my spouse there waiting for me. We do not recommend it (the recruiting) also because training is very demanding !

fcharby
Rookie Member

Postby fcharby » Wed May 16, 2007 2:15 pm

Yes, we both know that we won't see each other very often even if she lives right next to Depot, and we also know there is still a chance I won't make it there....but we both feel like a change could be fun, even if it's a small city without a lot of action.

I'm still wondering, is every candidate tested for language skills and is there a way for me to prove I'm bilingual other than taking the tests? They're not testing my French, I don't understand why they need to test my English...?

Edit: Is there a possibility to be tested in Regina?

Caroline
RCMP Recruiter

Postby Caroline » Wed May 16, 2007 2:56 pm

fcharby wrote:Yes, we both know that we won't see each other very often even if she lives right next to Depot, and we also know there is still a chance I won't make it there....but we both feel like a change could be fun, even if it's a small city without a lot of action.

I'm still wondering, is every candidate tested for language skills and is there a way for me to prove I'm bilingual other than taking the tests? They're not testing my French, I don't understand why they need to test my English...?

Edit: Is there a possibility to be tested in Regina?
fcharby
I suggest that you contact the person who is dealing with your file and ask. this is a situation of case by case. I know that the public fonction is shorthanded for the oral exam. BUT remember that we still need to the background investigation and the timing with you language exam might be right on.

philbert

Postby philbert » Wed May 16, 2007 5:19 pm

Hi Mountiegirl!

Thanks a lot for answering some questions! My first one is about the PARE. If I fail, how long until I can do it again?

Also, I have recently found out who my father is and that I have several half brothers and sisters. On the application it asks for their full name and place of work. If I don't know is it acceptable to say "unknown"?

As well, I have two family members that have been in *trouble* with the law. I do not associate with them, but I worry that they may hold me back. How does recruiting generally deal with this situation ?

Thanks for your time