Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: CourtOfficer, Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Infidel » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:57 am

Concourse11 wrote:Open question for those of you who have gone through the Rigaud process... How much notice were you given prior to your start date at Rigaud?

I understand that there is the 4 week "Pre-Poert" portion of the training. My contact at the Fort Erie office has advised that there is an intake in September and they have recently contacted my references, just wondering what kind of timeframe I could be looking at (as far as hearing back from their office - hopefully with good news).

For me it was two days after the verbal interview I was given a date to be in Rigaud - in six weeks.
After all is said and done, more is said than done
Infidel
Seasoned Member

Postby Protector24 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:16 pm

Last edited by Protector24 on Mon May 27, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Protector24
Grand Poobah

Postby Concourse11 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:24 am

Protector24 wrote:
Concourse11 wrote:Open question for those of you who have gone through the Rigaud process... How much notice were you given prior to your start date at Rigaud?

I understand that there is the 4 week "Pre-Poert" portion of the training. My contact at the Fort Erie office has advised that there is an intake in September and they have recently contacted my references, just wondering what kind of timeframe I could be looking at (as far as hearing back from their office - hopefully with good news).

This was literally asked (and answered) like 5 pages ago. You need at least 4 weeks to complete the pre-POERT online training. So based on many factors including differences in recruiting practices in various regions, I would think you're looking at anywhere from 4 weeks to 10 years, roughly speaking.

4-10 weeks... gotcha. Getting those jitters again in hopes to hear from the recreuitment office.
Thanks again.
Concourse11
Rookie Member

Postby fluxstone » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:16 am

sam_80 wrote:in regards to the new health assessment category 3 interesting that they take your blood.... what are they looking for? AIDS or HIV disqualification???.... anyone failed the medical assessment?

the only real thing that you should be worry about is the hearing test and any heart conditions you may/maybe not have or know about
fluxstone

Postby Gadget » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:31 pm

sam_80 wrote:in regards to the new health assessment category 3 interesting that they take your blood.... what are they looking for? AIDS or HIV disqualification???.... anyone failed the medical assessment?

According to the Union, only one person has failed the medical nationwide.

I didn't have blood taken for mine BTW. Just urine, and according to the fact sheet, that was not supposed to be a part of the process.
NO! I don't know when they're hiring dammit! No one does.
Gadget
Grand Poobah

Postby Concourse11 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:39 pm

Good news today! I have obtained confirmation from the Fort Erie office that I have passed the interview portion of the process! They have asked that I fill out the "Screening Form Application" and mail back to their office! So I am pretty stoked! I understand that I may be waiting some more but at least I am at the next stage! Anyone else have similar news to share?

Applied: September 2008
BSOT: December 2008
Interview: October 2009
Rigaud: TBA
Concourse11
Rookie Member

Postby Infidel » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:23 am

Gadget wrote:

According to the Union, only one person has failed the medical nationwide.

I didn't have blood taken for mine BTW. Just urine, and according to the fact sheet, that was not supposed to be a part of the process.

I didn't have blood or urine taken - but I did have the honour of having my testicles held. And held. And held a little more....
After all is said and done, more is said than done
Infidel
Seasoned Member

Postby NorthernProtector » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:13 am

Nothing wrong with a little cupping action... :smirk:
It you can control it...don't worry. If you can't control it...don't worry.
NorthernProtector
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bishop » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:42 pm

Alright so I have been on this site for awhile now and I am going to ask a potentially annoying question. In regards to the references you provide during the interview; the references are contacted before the results of your interview are told to you, correct? If not and it is actually before Rigaud, not sure if my references remember me anymore :? :ponder:
Applied CBSA: Apr 07
BSOT: Nov 07 - Passed
Interview: Mar 08 - Passed
FAC: July 08 - Passed
PAL: July 08 - Passed
Psych Eval: Nov 08 - Not Crazy
Rigaud: April 2011- Graduated! July '11

RPAT: April '09 - Passed
Bishop

Postby gotchya » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:01 pm

Bishop wrote:Alright so I have been on this site for awhile now and I am going to ask a potentially annoying question. In regards to the references you provide during the interview; the references are contacted before the results of your interview are told to you, correct? If not and it is actually before Rigaud, not sure if my references remember me anymore :? :ponder:

Yes, references are contacted before the result is given.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage
gotchya
Poobah Overlord

Postby charlie29 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:05 pm

I found out the results from my interview within a week. They emailed me to let me know. I contacted my references, and none of them had been contacted before I was told I passed my interview. It was about a month later when I was given my date to Rigaud that I found out they contacted my references.
Applied: August 2008
BSOT: September 2008
Interview: September 2008
Rigaud: January 2009
Graduation: March 2009
charlie29
Rookie Member

Postby sam_80 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:21 pm

Here is an interesting topic of discussion:
This topic is aimed at current BSOs ......

Does anyone know of a BSO or EO that signed an employment contract around 2006-2007 when the firearm requirement was implemented but the OFFICErs were not required to have already completed the psych test and other firearm requirements ...... anyways wondering if anyone from any REGION knows of a BSO that either failed the psych test or the firearm course and that was a requirement of their emplo0yement? ... what happened to them? Would CBSA honestly fire someone after doing 3-4 years of services and not being able to meet either the psych requirement or employment......even thou they have worked for the agency for several years....

does anyone know what would happen or seen anything happen..??
in all honestly i dont even think CBSA would fire someone who fails their firearm training and are still under probation after they have already completed RIGAUD..... or am i wrong? does anyone know of any experiences..... i know that officers that are legacy customs or rigaud and initially did not have that condition on their employment will just get shipped off to the MAIL CENTRE...... but i dont know of anyone that has actually been fired....
sam_80
Rookie Member

Postby IrishCanadian » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:42 pm

sam_80 wrote:Here is an interesting topic of discussion:
This topic is aimed at current BSOs ......

Does anyone know of a BSO or EO that signed an employment contract around 2006-2007 when the firearm requirement was implemented but the OFFICErs were not required to have already completed the psych test and other firearm requirements ...... anyways wondering if anyone from any REGION knows of a BSO that either failed the psych test or the firearm course and that was a requirement of their emplo0yement? ... what happened to them? Would CBSA honestly fire someone after doing 3-4 years of services and not being able to meet either the psych requirement or employment......even thou they have worked for the agency for several years....

does anyone know what would happen or seen anything happen..??
in all honestly i dont even think CBSA would fire someone who fails their firearm training and are still under probation after they have already completed RIGAUD..... or am i wrong? does anyone know of any experiences..... i know that officers that are legacy customs or rigaud and initially did not have that condition on their employment will just get shipped off to the MAIL CENTRE...... but i dont know of anyone that has actually been fired....

All I can say is test case. You sign a contract that states you must meet the requirments of the position. Does it kind of seem like a waste of resources to fire someone after 4 years? Yeah kinda. But if they can't carry a sidearm, they aren't fit to be a BSO as per the contract.

I'm sure there will be a long fight on the subject, and over many technicalities. But that fight hasn't happened yet.. but you gotta think it's coming.
"Remeber kids, the more you shoots the puck, the more comes the goals." - Alexei Kovalev
IrishCanadian
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Protector24 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:45 pm

Last edited by Protector24 on Mon May 27, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Protector24
Grand Poobah

Postby shoelessjoe » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:52 pm

sam80...

Without getting into specifics, the scenario(s) you inquired about have absolutely played out several times nationally. Requals are another issue along the same lines. To the best of my knowledge no one has been terminated at this point. It would seem that the Agency and the Union are co-operating to a degree, to the degree that they are both flying by the ass of their pants on the issue...consider it a contingency that a relative small degree of thought went into at the beginning of the Arming Initiative.

All plays into the recurring theme of "an Agency in transition"...you may well see further tweaks to the Arming Initiative/Testing/Practice to mitigate the problem.

Moreover, the co-hort of employees who came in after the contractural requirement but before the pre-placement psych testing is small relative to the size of the Agency--therefore, given some time, the issue will be moot. Once the appropriate training facilities are completed in Rigaud and the DFC becomes part of Basic POERT, the whole issue starts to abate.
shoelessjoe

PreviousNext

Return to Law Enforcement Applicants (FAQ)