Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

CanBr19
Veteran Member

Re: PARE

Postby CanBr19 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:21 pm

Last edited by CanBr19 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Highland2012

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Highland2012 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:29 pm

I first applied to the CBSA in December 2016. I'm still currently waiting on my security clearance interview. I didn't do the PARE until about 6 months ago and I still might have to refresh it. I would wait until after the interview to do it to save yourself a bit of money and stress.

Just my opinion on the matter. Cheers.
:wave:
APPLICANT-
July 15th 2019: Application Re-Inserted
July 29th 2019: Psych Test - Written
Aug 20th: Medical Exam - Pass
Oct 22 Psych Interview -

AMZ1418
Rookie Member

Postby AMZ1418 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:04 pm

Hey everyone,

Just became a member of this forum recently, and I'm looking for a little insight or guidance.

I applied for the CBSA back in August (2017), having completed all necessary tasks and acquiring all documents needed. Then I got an email in the following August (2018) saying that I was in the interview stage of the hiring process (Sweet!), although, I never heard anything back afterwards.
I sent a follow up email this past March inquiring about my interview status and was eventually contacted back being assured that I was still in the initial interview stage of things.

It's now almost August (2 years later from initial application) with no communication or anything.
I am really trying to stay positive with this hiring process as I really want to become a CBSA officer, but after 2 years with minimal communication it's a little dis-heartening.

I get it, government run, can be slow at times, but after reading various other posts, most people seem to have their interviews and other stages completed within at least a year and a half.

Should I cancel my application and simply re-apply? Do I just stick it out and hope I finally get my interview? How often should I follow up?

If anyone can provide a little guidance on what I should that would be awesome!

Thanks!

CanBr19
Veteran Member

Postby CanBr19 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:04 pm

Last edited by CanBr19 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catlady

Postby Catlady » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:39 pm

bectacular wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:15 pm
Hi all! First time poster, long time lurker. I received an email this morning notifying me that I was successful in my interview, so now it's PARE time. I think I am ready to do it but I live in Newfoundland and there are no testing centres on the entire island. I'm not sure what to do besides bite the bullet and buy a plane ticket. Has anyone else been in this boat?

I'm also wondering how quickly I need to figure it out. Will the other portions of the application continue or is it all halted until I get my PARE results? Of course I want to do it ASAP but I'll need a bit of time to get it all sorted.
According to a quick search of the forums here, it looks like the PARE testing in Newfoundland are done in St. John's at the RCMP Newfoundland and Labrador Headquarters. When you are ready to schedule your session, I would send a request using the general inquiries forms as they instruct you to do at the CBSA website as you may not have to fly out of province after all!

I did my PARE a couple of months after the interview as the selection process seems to be moving quite quickly for myself. If there ends up being a delay that results in me having to do the PARE again, at least I now know I can pass it :D.
CBSA -
Applied - January 2019
OTEE - February 2019 (pass)
Interview - April 2019 (pass)
CFSC/CRFSC - April 2019 (pass)
PARE - June 2019 (pass)
Psych Assessment (unsuitable)

bectacular
Rookie Member

Postby bectacular » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:36 am

Catlady wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:39 pm
bectacular wrote:
Hi all! First time poster, long time lurker. I received an email this morning notifying me that I was successful in my interview, so now it's PARE time. I think I am ready to do it but I live in Newfoundland and there are no testing centres on the entire island. I'm not sure what to do besides bite the bullet and buy a plane ticket. Has anyone else been in this boat?

I'm also wondering how quickly I need to figure it out. Will the other portions of the application continue or is it all halted until I get my PARE results? Of course I want to do it ASAP but I'll need a bit of time to get it all sorted.
According to a quick search of the forums here, it looks like the PARE testing in Newfoundland are done in St. John's at the RCMP Newfoundland and Labrador Headquarters. When you are ready to schedule your session, I would send a request using the general inquiries forms as they instruct you to do at the CBSA website as you may not have to fly out of province after all!

I did my PARE a couple of months after the interview as the selection process seems to be moving quite quickly for myself. If there ends up being a delay that results in me having to do the PARE again, at least I now know I can pass it :D.
I reached out to them about a month ago and received this response:

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, there are no PARE test locations in Newfoundland at this time, but rest assured we are actively working to change that soon as possible so you could have all assessments completed before you receive your secret clearance. The latest list of PARE test locations is available on our website. We will update the list when a test centre is available in Newfoundland. You could also complete the test in another province, but it will be at your own cost."

..so I don't think I'll be able to do it here if nothing changes. I'd like to wait until I receive an invite for the psych interview to look into completing the PARE but I'm worried that not having it completed will delay the rest of my application steps from happening. In the email I received with my interview results there was a reminder stating to complete the PARE "as soon as possible". I've got a friend in Moncton so I'm thinking I should just suck it up and burn some AirMiles on a trip. Like you said, if it expires at least you know you're able to do it!

Catlady

Postby Catlady » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:13 am

bectacular wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:36 am
Catlady wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:39 pm
bectacular wrote:

I reached out to them about a month ago and received this response:

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, there are no PARE test locations in Newfoundland at this time, but rest assured we are actively working to change that soon as possible so you could have all assessments completed before you receive your secret clearance. The latest list of PARE test locations is available on our website. We will update the list when a test centre is available in Newfoundland. You could also complete the test in another province, but it will be at your own cost."

..so I don't think I'll be able to do it here if nothing changes. I'd like to wait until I receive an invite for the psych interview to look into completing the PARE but I'm worried that not having it completed will delay the rest of my application steps from happening. In the email I received with my interview results there was a reminder stating to complete the PARE "as soon as possible". I've got a friend in Moncton so I'm thinking I should just suck it up and burn some AirMiles on a trip. Like you said, if it expires at least you know you're able to do it!
Ugh, that really sucks for you ☹️. Secret Security clearance can take a while to process so you should be okay if you wait until you get an invite to the psych evaluation to do the PARE. I have Secret from another job and I think mine took about three months to go through. As long as there isn’t a really long wait list to do the PARE you should be okay! Good luck!
CBSA -
Applied - January 2019
PARE - June 2019 (pass)

CanBr19
Veteran Member

Postby CanBr19 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:24 am

Last edited by CanBr19 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBSA
Applied: 2019
RPAL : pass
OTEE: 2019 pass
Interview: 2019 pass
PARE: 2019 pass
Psych Evaluation: 2019 - pass
Psych Interview: 2019 - pass
Security forms/docs: 2019 - sent

Catlady

Postby Catlady » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:50 am

CanBr19 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:24 am
Catlady wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:13 am
... Secret Security clearance can take a while to process so you should be okay if you wait until you get an invite to the psych evaluation to do the PARE. I have Secret from another job and I think mine took about three months to go through. ...
I was wondering have you verified with Recruitment if a transfer/duplicate of a current valid Secret clearance with the current employer is an option with CBSA process ?
I was told at my interview that even though I have Secret clearance that CBSA still has to do their own so my understanding is that it is not transferable between departments.
CBSA -
Applied - January 2019
PARE - June 2019 (pass)

CanBr19
Veteran Member

Postby CanBr19 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:54 am

Tommy
King Poobah

Postby Tommy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:15 am

Catlady wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:50 am
CanBr19 wrote:
Catlady wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:13 am
... Secret Security clearance can take a while to process so you should be okay if you wait until you get an invite to the psych evaluation to do the PARE. I have Secret from another job and I think mine took about three months to go through. ...
I was wondering have you verified with Recruitment if a transfer/duplicate of a current valid Secret clearance with the current employer is an option with CBSA process ?
I was told at my interview that even though I have Secret clearance that CBSA still has to do their own so my understanding is that it is not transferable between departments.
Yup..... Until you find out your Military clearance is about to expire midway through your OIDP and you need to resubmit all the paperwork for the CBSA one that they never completed while you were in Rigaud because.... hey, turns out they did just use the previous one.......

my advice to applicants..... Drink the Kool-Aid, go with the flow, in the end, it's not a bad paycheck for the work we do.
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

Catlady

Postby Catlady » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:38 am

Tommy wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:15 am
Catlady wrote:
CanBr19 wrote:

Yup..... Until you find out your Military clearance is about to expire midway through your OIDP and you need to resubmit all the paperwork for the CBSA one that they never completed while you were in Rigaud because.... hey, turns out they did just use the previous one.......
Good to know, thank you 😁!
CBSA -
Applied - January 2019
PARE - June 2019 (pass)

JeanFrancois
Seasoned Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:28 pm

Tommy wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:15 am
Catlady wrote:
CanBr19 wrote:

my advice to applicants..... Drink the Kool-Aid, go with the flow, in the end, it's not a bad paycheck for the work we do.

Yum Yum Kool-Aid.
CBSA:
App: August 2018
O.T.E.E: Sept 2018
Interview: Jan 21 2019
PAL: Jul 2019
MMPI-2 Testing: Sept 6 2019
Psychologist Appointment: Sept 16 2019

My views and opinions are my own.

Nanuk22
Rookie Member

Postby Nanuk22 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:25 pm

So quick question I have everything completed and the last email I had stated that the cbsa is “aiming” to have me in the winter 2020 class but have yet to hear anything since. Aiming doesn’t sound like a 100 percent guarantee and I was wondering how I could go about checking to see my status

CanBr19
Veteran Member

Postby CanBr19 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:22 pm