Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Borderwatchman
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Borderwatchman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:29 pm

JoshG wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:01 am
Are there any benefits being employed as a BSO as an RCMP applicant? I’ve read in a post from years ago that you will receive your regular salary at depot. As I understand you would have to go through the process same as any new applicants but can you save time by already having a security clearance? Does seniority transfer?
The only thing that carries over is your pension. You get nothing more.

Borderwatchman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Borderwatchman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:33 pm

Stathakos wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:42 pm
CdnShield wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:03 pm
Regarding the assignment of work location of new hires....how much does CBSA try to accommodate the recruit's preferred locations?

Do most folks end up being sent to one of the locations they indicated they wanted to work at? Does anyone have experience of being sent somewhere they really did not want to go and how that played out?
They'll let you trade spots in Rigaud if both parties are interested. Thats about it for accommodation. Im from Toronto and was supposed to go to Northern B.c. but I traded with a classmate and ended up in SW Manitoba. Youd have to prove the CBSA has a duty to accommodate you with actual legislation that's in place. So far I'm not in my ideal place, but the staff and the working experience has not been bad at all. I'm just 2400km away from where I want to be :mrgreen:
Sucks to be you, arhidi!!! :mrgreen:

CanadianQuackers

Postby CanadianQuackers » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:10 pm

Stathakos wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:42 pm
CdnShield wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:03 pm
Regarding the assignment of work location of new hires....how much does CBSA try to accommodate the recruit's preferred locations?

Do most folks end up being sent to one of the locations they indicated they wanted to work at? Does anyone have experience of being sent somewhere they really did not want to go and how that played out?
They'll let you trade spots in Rigaud if both parties are interested. Thats about it for accommodation. Im from Toronto and was supposed to go to Northern B.c. but I traded with a classmate and ended up in SW Manitoba. Youd have to prove the CBSA has a duty to accommodate you with actual legislation that's in place. So far I'm not in my ideal place, but the staff and the working experience has not been bad at all. I'm just 2400km away from where I want to be :mrgreen:
Any idea what the postings looked like while you were in training, was there a pretty clear need in certain areas? I know it changes but I am just curious, I don't really have a preferred destination but would love to do some research.

JeanFrancois
Veteran Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:41 pm

nick921 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:59 pm
Jumb34t wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:04 pm
nick921 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:02 pm
Hey guys, to anyone who didn't pass the interview. Were you able to reapply for the next selection process? I failed one part of the interview... T

Thanks
There's no wait time if you fail the interview. So you can apply right away whenever the applications are open.

Thanks :) hope that I will pass the next time. If you are able to help, I need some help defining the personal integrity part.
I like to think you either have integrity or you do not; in the absence of not having I believe it would be possible to obtain but not without years of a proven track record. It's doing the right thing when nobody is watching; leading by example; not telling recruiters in the interview what you think they want to hear; speak from the heart and touch on ethics. Knowing who you are and what you believe even when you have to stand up for yourself against other people
CBSA:
App: 08-18
O.T.E.E:
Interview:
PAL:
Psych: ?

TPS:
GIS: July 22th, 2019
PREP Practice: July 26th, 2019
WCT: Aug 17, 2019
PREP:
PATI: October 5th, 2019

cb681

Postby cb681 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:49 am

Does anyone currently working as a BSO know if its possible to transfer a private sector pension into the public service pension with the CBSA?
OITP: May 2019
Rigaud: AUG 2019
14D

CanBr19

Postby CanBr19 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:34 pm

cb681 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:49 am
Does anyone currently working as a BSO know if its possible to transfer a private sector pension into the public service pension with the CBSA?
https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board ... sion.html

"Would employment outside the federal public service count as pensionable service under the public service pension plan?
If you were a member of a pension plan with your former employer, there are two options to increase your pension:

Buy back eligible prior service through a service buyback.
Transfer pensionable service from your former pension plan to the public service pension plan using a Pension Transfer Agreement. Your former employer must have a Pension Transfer Agreement with the Government of Canada. If not, your former employer may be able to negotiate one.
Note: You must decide to use these options within a certain time limit, once you become a member of the public service pension plan."

"A Pension Transfer Agreement is an agreement negotiated between the Government of Canada and an eligible employer to provide for the transfer of pension benefits from one pension plan to the other.

For more information on Pension Transfer Agreements, the types of service eligible for buy back, or to learn what you need to do to transfer the value of pension benefits or to buy back service, contact the Government of Canada Pension Centre or refer to Increasing Your Pension as soon as you join the public service."

https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board ... .html#toc3

Contact the Pension Centre
Telephone
Toll-Free:
1-800-561-7930
Monday to Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Your Local Time)
Outside Canada and the United States:
506-533-5800
(collect calls accepted)
Monday to Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Atlantic Time)
Telephone Teletype (TTY):
506-533-5990
(collect calls accepted)
Monday to Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Atlantic Time)
Excluding Statutory Holidays

... maybe there's more to this, will be following to hear some actual BSO experience on the subject

bectacular
Rookie Member

PARE

Postby bectacular » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Hi all! First time poster, long time lurker. I received an email this morning notifying me that I was successful in my interview, so now it's PARE time. I think I am ready to do it but I live in Newfoundland and there are no testing centres on the entire island. I'm not sure what to do besides bite the bullet and buy a plane ticket. Has anyone else been in this boat?

I'm also wondering how quickly I need to figure it out. Will the other portions of the application continue or is it all halted until I get my PARE results? Of course I want to do it ASAP but I'll need a bit of time to get it all sorted.

CanBr19

Re: PARE

Postby CanBr19 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:21 pm

bectacular wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:15 pm
Hi all! First time poster, long time lurker. I received an email this morning notifying me that I was successful in my interview, so now it's PARE time. I think I am ready to do it but I live in Newfoundland and there are no testing centres on the entire island. I'm not sure what to do besides bite the bullet and buy a plane ticket. Has anyone else been in this boat?

I'm also wondering how quickly I need to figure it out. Will the other portions of the application continue or is it all halted until I get my PARE results? Of course I want to do it ASAP but I'll need a bit of time to get it all sorted.
As per other people posted timelines, not completing PARE early in the process doesn't prevent them from being invited to complete next stages.

The job posting states it's good to have it done and keep it updated during the process, but in case as yours , I would make sure it will not expire before the process is done as you need a valid PARE before being invited to Rigaud.

In other words, if you do it too early and the process takes longer than 18 months from the time you take the PARE, you may need to fly out again for it ;)

Highland2012

Postby Highland2012 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:29 pm

I first applied to the CBSA in December 2016. I'm still currently waiting on my security clearance interview. I didn't do the PARE until about 6 months ago and I still might have to refresh it. I would wait until after the interview to do it to save yourself a bit of money and stress.

Just my opinion on the matter. Cheers.
:wave:
APPLICANT-
July 15th 2019: Application Re-Submitted

AMZ1418
Rookie Member

Postby AMZ1418 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:04 pm

Hey everyone,

Just became a member of this forum recently, and I'm looking for a little insight or guidance.

I applied for the CBSA back in August (2017), having completed all necessary tasks and acquiring all documents needed. Then I got an email in the following August (2018) saying that I was in the interview stage of the hiring process (Sweet!), although, I never heard anything back afterwards.
I sent a follow up email this past March inquiring about my interview status and was eventually contacted back being assured that I was still in the initial interview stage of things.

It's now almost August (2 years later from initial application) with no communication or anything.
I am really trying to stay positive with this hiring process as I really want to become a CBSA officer, but after 2 years with minimal communication it's a little dis-heartening.

I get it, government run, can be slow at times, but after reading various other posts, most people seem to have their interviews and other stages completed within at least a year and a half.

Should I cancel my application and simply re-apply? Do I just stick it out and hope I finally get my interview? How often should I follow up?

If anyone can provide a little guidance on what I should that would be awesome!

Thanks!

CanBr19

Postby CanBr19 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:04 pm

AMZ1418 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:04 pm
Hey everyone,

Just became a member of this forum recently, and I'm looking for a little insight or guidance.

I applied for the CBSA back in August (2017), having completed all necessary tasks and acquiring all documents needed. Then I got an email in the following August (2018) saying that I was in the interview stage of the hiring process (Sweet!), although, I never heard anything back afterwards.
I sent a follow up email this past March inquiring about my interview status and was eventually contacted back being assured that I was still in the initial interview stage of things.

It's now almost August (2 years later from initial application) with no communication or anything.
I am really trying to stay positive with this hiring process as I really want to become a CBSA officer, but after 2 years with minimal communication it's a little dis-heartening.

I get it, government run, can be slow at times, but after reading various other posts, most people seem to have their interviews and other stages completed within at least a year and a half.

Should I cancel my application and simply re-apply? Do I just stick it out and hope I finally get my interview? How often should I follow up?

If anyone can provide a little guidance on what I should that would be awesome!

Thanks!
You emailed HR 3 months ago, that's a recent contact. Most likely if you email them now , you will get same answer.

As long as they confirmed your candidacy is still in the process, you should be good.

Good luck !