Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Kharlvp
Rookie Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Kharlvp » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:08 am

Question about credit checks. I have about $5000 in my credit card due to me buying a motorcycle then I was a loss of job for a few months last year. I am paying it off slowly but surely. Will this affect my application and will this get me differed?

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:18 am

Kharlvp wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:08 am
Question about credit checks. I have about $5000 in my credit card due to me buying a motorcycle then I was a loss of job for a few months last year. I am paying it off slowly but surely. Will this affect my application and will this get me differed?
No.

But, you might have to explain why you lost your job. I assume from Covid ?

That 5 grand might not even come in question just be prepared to answer in a mature way

Lospollos
Rookie Member

Postby Lospollos » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:45 am

Spitz42 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:28 am
I passed my exam on March 2019. Was then told I would get an interview date. I never did, then on June 2020 I received an email saying that covid -19 has delayed the process and was asked if I am still interested in the process and to reply. I answered back and said of course.

Have not heard anything since then. I have prior to June if anyone knows when my next interview date is and was told no one has a hold of my file yet or something along those lines.

So my question is how much long will it be?
I did my test in September 2018 got my interview in June 2019 and now still waiting for my psych.. just keep in contact with them to make sure ur still in the process
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

Kharlvp
Rookie Member

Postby Kharlvp » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:42 am

Fonthill wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:18 am
Kharlvp wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:08 am
No.

But, you might have to explain why you lost your job. I assume from Covid ?

That 5 grand might not even come in question just be prepared to answer in a mature way
Worked as Contracted Rescue Services in the Oil sands. Started to go down hill end of August. Could never expect anything in the Oil industry lol.

vtyou
Rookie Member

Postby vtyou » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:16 pm

Just recently got an email about Confirmation of Interest and Required Documents. I got my OTEE results back in March of 2019, so it has been about 1.5 years now. I just started a new job that I’m current on contract for 3 months, with a high chance that I’ll likely be offered a full time position after my contract ends. On the off chance that I don’t get offered a full time contract, I want to keep open as many doors as possible.

My dilemma is if I confirm my interest and submit my supporting documents and not show up to a potential interview, would my future chances of getting accepted into the CBSA be hindered?

felix1113
Rookie Member

Postby felix1113 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:24 am

vtyou wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:16 pm
Just recently got an email about Confirmation of Interest and Required Documents. I got my OTEE results back in March of 2019, so it has been about 1.5 years now. I just started a new job that I’m current on contract for 3 months, with a high chance that I’ll likely be offered a full time position after my contract ends. On the off chance that I don’t get offered a full time contract, I want to keep open as many doors as possible.
My dilemma is if I confirm my interest and submit my supporting documents and not show up to a potential interview, would my future chances of getting accepted into the CBSA be hindered?
Hey !
Your are just starting the process, it's going to take 1-2 years before college if everything checks out, so take the job and wait for the steps to come ;)
To answer your question, confirming interview and not going is probably going to kick you out of the process, you will need to apply for a new one to continue afterwards, but this may remains in your file...
Good luck !
Apply: August 18
OTEE: September 18 - PASS
Interview: December 18 - PASS
PARE: January 19- PASS
Psych : April 19 - PASS
Sec papers: Sent April 19
Med Evaluation: May 19 - PASS
Clearance: July 19 - PASS
OITP: Unconfirmed
Rigaud: Unconfirmed

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:49 pm

Kharlvp wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:10 am
Good morning or evening! CBSA was supposed to start a hiring process May of 2020 but due to COVID it was cancelled. Does anyone happen to know when the next hiring process is? I have all my certs and post secondary. Except PARE. Does post secondary education in Justice Studies help out when it comes to the hiring process?
It will not. Once upon a time they allowed you to bypass the entry tests (OTEE I think its called now) with your Post Secondary Education. I do not believe that's the case anymore.
I had many people from a variety of backgrounds in my class in Rigaud. Sales reps, fast food workers, bus drivers, correctional workers, military, etc.

The only thing that'll help you in the process is honesty and patience.

Good luck!
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

Calder40
Rookie Member

Postby Calder40 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:08 pm

Just recently received invitation to conduct an interview over the phone. Has anyone else completed a phone interview?, if so what kind of questions shall i expect?

Thank you.

Ulcaster555

Postby Ulcaster555 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:17 am

Calder40 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:08 pm
Just recently received invitation to conduct an interview over the phone. Has anyone else completed a phone interview?, if so what kind of questions shall i expect?

Thank you.
Questions are not to be divulged in any way. This information is private and not to be shared with anyone.

Just answer the questions honestly.
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.

Jumb34t

Postby Jumb34t » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:35 am

Ulcaster555 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:17 am
Calder40 wrote:

Thank you.
Questions are not to be divulged in any way. This information is private and not to be shared with anyone.

If you received the invitation through email, the 'kinds of questions' that you'll be asked should be on that email. Also, there are lots of info about the interview in the General CBSA Chit Chat.
CBSA Applicant - GTA
Applied: Sep/18
OTEE: Oct/18 77.5%
Interview: Apr/19
PARE: Aug/19
Psych Eval: Oct/19
Psych Interview: Nov/19
Sec Doc sent: Jan/20
CFSC & CRFSC: Mar/20
Med Eval: May/20
Sec Interview & Clearance: July/20
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

Spitz42
Rookie Member

Postby Spitz42 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:29 am

Lospollos wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:45 am
Spitz42 wrote:
I passed my exam on March 2019. Was then told I would get an interview date. I never did, then on June 2020 I received an email saying that covid -19 has delayed the process and was asked if I am still interested in the process and to reply. I answered back and said of course.

Have not heard anything since then. I have prior to June if anyone knows when my next interview date is and was told no one has a hold of my file yet or something along those lines.

I did my test in September 2018 got my interview in June 2019 and now still waiting for my psych.. just keep in contact with them to make sure ur still in the process
Que tal los pollos? yeah so I got a email saying that I need to hand in my documents like post secondary, highschool and to take the firearms courses. Which I am currently working on. After all this is sent electronically I was told I might get an interview date. Does anyone know how to prepare for the interview and what to expect.

I am open to advice and learning.

Regards

Spitz42
Rookie Member

Postby Spitz42 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:30 am

Jumb34t wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:35 am
Ulcaster555 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:17 am
Calder40 wrote:

Thank you.

If you received the invitation through email, the 'kinds of questions' that you'll be asked should be on that email. Also, there are lots of info about the interview in the General CBSA Chit Chat.
I will check the general CBSA chit chat. I need to get going on the exercise, I usually am very physically fit. With the covid-19 though it has effected my physical fitness quite a bit, but I will get on it.

KristenHW
Rookie Member

Postby KristenHW » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:47 pm

Hi,

Does anyone happen to know how the selection process for the training port of entry is done? I've been told that the trainee can list 3 top preferences, but are these preferences based on separate districts, ex. 1) Montreal, 2) Longueuil, 3) Dorval?

I'm also wondering if anyone happens to know if there are unilingual (English) CBSA positions in Montreal, QC?

My partner is finishing up his contract with the CAF and he's been all over. He's from Montreal and speaks English. He's looking to work in a similar field, but also looking for stability and doesn't want to move around again. What are the odds that if he lists those 3 preferences above, he'll be assigned to a port of entry in Montreal or the surrounding area? There are quite a few offices in Montreal... airports, marine warehouse, truck warehouse, postal, etc.

Thank you!

Lospollos
Rookie Member

Postby Lospollos » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:57 am

KristenHW wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:47 pm
Hi,

Does anyone happen to know how the selection process for the training port of entry is done? I've been told that the trainee can list 3 top preferences, but are these preferences based on separate districts, ex. 1) Montreal, 2) Longueuil, 3) Dorval?

I'm also wondering if anyone happens to know if there are unilingual (English) CBSA positions in Montreal, QC?

My partner is finishing up his contract with the CAF and he's been all over. He's from Montreal and speaks English. He's looking to work in a similar field, but also looking for stability and doesn't want to move around again. What are the odds that if he lists those 3 preferences above, he'll be assigned to a port of entry in Montreal or the surrounding area? There are quite a few offices in Montreal... airports, marine warehouse, truck warehouse, postal, etc.

Thank you!
Anyone correct if I am wrong but I believe you select by region and not port of entry specifically. Also as far as I know there are no unilingual positions in Montreal except for SBSO positions.
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

Lospollos
Rookie Member

Postby Lospollos » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:03 am

Spitz42 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:29 am
Lospollos wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:45 am
Spitz42 wrote:

Que tal los pollos? yeah so I got a email saying that I need to hand in my documents like post secondary, highschool and to take the firearms courses. Which I am currently working on. After all this is sent electronically I was told I might get an interview date. Does anyone know how to prepare for the interview and what to expect.

I am open to advice and learning.

Regards
Haha a breaking bad reference. Once u get the email interview it's pretty straight forward it's not a STAR based method and the types of questions u will be asked are in the email. Don't stress it too much.
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2