Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

JoshG

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby JoshG » Fri May 10, 2019 10:53 pm

melom wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:52 pm
JoshG wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:19 pm
Any idea how seasonal ports work? If you’re posted at a port that is open May-September, for example, where do you go the remainder of the year?
You won’t get posted to a seasonal port. They get staffed by assignments out of other ports.
Thanks for the info. Can you volunteer for these seasonal port assignments from anywhere in Canada?
Corrections Officer

CBSA:
Applied: Dec 2016
GCT2/WCPT: Apr 2017
Interview: Jan 2018
Sec. Clearance: Nov 2018
Psych test: Mar 2018
Psych interview: Mar 2018
Medical: Aug 2018
PARE: Sept 2018
Security Interview: Nov 2018

OITP: May 2019
Rigaud: July 2019

melom
Sage Member

Postby melom » Sat May 11, 2019 3:38 pm

JoshG wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:53 pm
melom wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:52 pm
JoshG wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:19 pm
Any idea how seasonal ports work? If you’re posted at a port that is open May-September, for example, where do you go the remainder of the year?
You won’t get posted to a seasonal port. They get staffed by assignments out of other ports.
Thanks for the info. Can you volunteer for these seasonal port assignments from anywhere in Canada?
It depends. Usually they are staffed by the region but I have seen occasional national call outs over the years.

Squadcar

Postby Squadcar » Sun May 19, 2019 7:02 pm

I know that the CBSA requires you to move anywhere in Canada, and that's fine -- however I'm just wondering how difficult it typically is to get a northern (ish) port? If I'm packing up and leaving home, I might as well do it right.

I feel like working up north is probably undesirable but at the same time I can only imagine they don't typically send people up there due to lower staffing requirements.

Is it hard to get up there right out of Rigaud? Yellowknife would be cool, or somewhere like that.

melom
Sage Member

Postby melom » Mon May 20, 2019 8:58 pm

Squadcar wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:02 pm
I know that the CBSA requires you to move anywhere in Canada, and that's fine -- however I'm just wondering how difficult it typically is to get a northern (ish) port? If I'm packing up and leaving home, I might as well do it right.

I feel like working up north is probably undesirable but at the same time I can only imagine they don't typically send people up there due to lower staffing requirements.

Is it hard to get up there right out of Rigaud? Yellowknife would be cool, or somewhere like that.
In general the Alaska border has been desperate for staff for years now. I think you’d have good odds if your intake has a seat up there. People don’t want to go and if they have to go they don’t want to stay. Aside from the land border to Alaska I think the odds of going to the north are extremely low/zero.

Ziggy Stardust
King Poobah

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Tue May 21, 2019 9:19 pm

There was a National call for BSOs to take an assignment to Yellowknife not too long ago and I've seen other calls for assignments to northern ports over the years. I know officers who have taken short term assignments to the north, mostly BC. They loved it but had commitments that would make a more permanent gig there difficult. CBSA has a hard time finding people who truly want to be there. If you're looking for a remote northern location you have a pretty good chance of getting one and if this is what you want I would make your intentions clear. There are also some small ports in the Maritimes that might suit you.
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden