Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
kittycat1024

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby kittycat1024 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:07 pm

Sparky87 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:01 pm
Is there anyone with insight on when the 2020 application process will be open? I ask because they currently have a bunch of recruiting events they are running however no open application for BSO’s only for their science and tech devision. It doesn’t make sense to spend money on recruitment events to generate interest in something if people can’t apply for it. So I was just wondering if anyone knew approximately if and when they will be opening up a new application process?
Yes, I’m very surprised CBSA has lots of recruitment events everywhere!!!!
Applied: 2018
PAL: Obtained
Interview: Oct 2019 (Passed)
PARE: Feb 2020 (Passed)
MMPI: TBC
:swords:

neonlights97

Postby neonlights97 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:58 am

Sparky87 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:01 pm
Is there anyone with insight on when the 2020 application process will be open? I ask because they currently have a bunch of recruiting events they are running however no open application for BSO’s only for their science and tech devision. It doesn’t make sense to spend money on recruitment events to generate interest in something if people can’t apply for it. So I was just wondering if anyone knew approximately if and when they will be opening up a new application process?
Maybe they’re trying to gauge the interest level to see how long they’re going to keep the next posting open for...

kittycat1024

Postby kittycat1024 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:30 am

What was the last CBSA opening? When did it close?

18-BSF-EA-NBSO-FB-007?

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:10 am

"There are no specific dates determined yet for the next hiring process. If you have a GC Jobs account, program your alerts and be immediately notified once it opens."

April is likely if you ask me. After all these recruitment events in March. But who knows, maybe depends of the backlog they have at HR.

kittycat, last posting closed on February 8th 2019.

neonlights97

Postby neonlights97 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:20 am

IronWolf wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:10 am
"There are no specific dates determined yet for the next hiring process. If you have a GC Jobs account, program your alerts and be immediately notified once it opens."

April is likely if you ask me. After all these recruitment events in March. But who knows, maybe depends of the backlog they have at HR.

kittycat, last posting closed on February 8th 2019.
There's recruitment events going on until April 30.

Maybe after the Federal budget gets announced.

LobsterCop
Rookie Member

Postby LobsterCop » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:52 pm

So will there be a spring training camp? I would assume those invites would have been sent already, everything is finished for me, and I am just waiting on the online portion.

JEagle10

Postby JEagle10 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:19 am

LobsterCop wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:52 pm
So will there be a spring training camp? I would assume those invites would have been sent already, everything is finished for me, and I am just waiting on the online portion.
I got an invite for my online portion roughly a month before the online started, and the online portion started 7 weeks before I arrived at Rigaud. Just to kind of give you a heads up of how much in advance you could expect an invite compared to a class date. Hopefully you can get a spot in a summer class

Badger9518
Rookie Member

Postby Badger9518 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:57 pm

Hey guys hope all is well with your processes. Anyone else waiting for their psych assessment and psych interview? I got the results of my interview and passed on December 9th 2019. I waited about 1 year and 5 months for my interview I hope it doesn’t go on that long again.

kittycat1024

Postby kittycat1024 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:06 pm

Badger9518 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:57 pm
Hey guys hope all is well with your processes. Anyone else waiting for their psych assessment and psych interview? I got the results of my interview and passed on December 9th 2019. I waited about 1 year and 5 months for my interview I hope it doesn’t go on that long again.
Same boat......1.5 years is long enough, would you send an email to HR?

CaptainMarvel
Rookie Member

Postby CaptainMarvel » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:16 pm

Badger9518 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:57 pm
Last edited by CaptainMarvel on Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ulcaster555

Postby Ulcaster555 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:13 am

Hi everyone,

there is a possibility that all type of interviews will be postponed, i do not know if the next intake will also be postponed, however it remains a possibility.

More info coming at the beginning of next week. CBSA will make a decision soon. Obviously i cannot answer questions i don't have the answers too.

Please be patient, I'll try or maybe H.R will provide information as it comes in.
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.

neonlights97

Postby neonlights97 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:53 am

Ulcaster555 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:13 am
Hi everyone,

there is a possibility that all type of interviews will be postponed, i do not know if the next intake will also be postponed, however it remains a possibility.

More info coming at the beginning of next week. CBSA will make a decision soon. Obviously i cannot answer questions i don't have the answers too.

Please be patient, I'll try or maybe H.R will provide information as it comes in.
Would the next round of competition (new job posting) be postponed as well?

Ulcaster555

Postby Ulcaster555 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:13 pm

Ulcaster555 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:13 am
Hi everyone,

UPDATE:

In accordance with the latest guidance provided by the Public Health Agency of Canada and the Treasury Board Secretariat of Canada, we are asking that CBSA employees and managers not working in critical program or service positions start to work from home (i.e. move to telework). This change is effective immediately and until further notice.

Positions that deliver Critical Services to Canadians and to Government Operations and which require on-site presence to be performed include:

• Border Services Officers;
• Certain client service and critical business related jobs (physical security officers, real property, clerical, dealing with daily enquiries, attending to “walk in” clients etc.);
• Jobs that require access to restricted or sensitive CBSA information, software, applications and/or databases; and
• Specific CBSA functions, including strategic leadership, relating to upholding the safety and security of Canadians.

Local updates coming soon as to interviews and other requirements.

Stay tuned, stay positive.
CBSA/ASFC

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:47 pm

cbmcmsa wrote:
If someone has bad or non-existent credit, they may be asked to explain the situation surrounding that, or they may not. All LE Agencies look at Credit. As do most renters. As do most dealerships, etc. You get my point. It's not that they're saying, "Person A has bad credit, therefore disqualified". It's more along the lines of, "Person A has bad credit, that shows us that they have a hard time being responsible for paying even the minimum balance, as well, they have most likely an impulsive spending problem, or they are in a truly dire financial situation, which the strain of 4-6 months away from income wouldn't help.
Not quite.

Any person, employed in a public position that handles protected information and who has a poor credit history, is vulnerable to exploitation and blackmail by adversarial state and non-state actors.
"One more thing..."

Ulcaster555

Postby Ulcaster555 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:37 am

Columbo wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:47 pm
cbmcmsa wrote:
If someone has bad or non-existent credit, they may be asked to explain the situation surrounding that, or they may not. All LE Agencies look at Credit. As do most renters. As do most dealerships, etc. You get my point. It's not that they're saying, "Person A has bad credit, therefore disqualified". It's more along the lines of, "Person A has bad credit, that shows us that they have a hard time being responsible for paying even the minimum balance, as well, they have most likely an impulsive spending problem, or they are in a truly dire financial situation, which the strain of 4-6 months away from income wouldn't help.
Not quite.

Any person, employed in a public position that handles protected information and who has a poor credit history, is vulnerable to exploitation and blackmail by adversarial state and non-state actors.
Not quite,
There can be many reasons for past bad credit, what we look at is compulsory bad credit behavior, spending without limitations and declaring bankruptcy multiple times, that sort of thing.
Going for a trustee because you couldn't pay, even declaring bankruptcy for reasons like a divorce or losing your job will not affect your integrity, we don't believe this makes you vulnerable for exploitation. The most important thing is that you did something about your bad credit, cleared the debt over a certain term/time, watch your spending limitations and got help.
CBSA/ASFC