Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

User avatar
Squadcar
Regular Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:46 pm

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Squadcar » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:20 pm

melom wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:49 pm
Squadcar wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:51 am
Hi all! Could someone point me in the direction of a good resource to learn more about the CBSA? I've recently taken an interest in applying and I'm trying to learn as much as I possibly can, but unlike the RCMP or other large police services, I'm finding that information about the CBSA is somewhat limited on their websites. I've found the info on the recruiting and whatnot but I'm more interested in things like day to day duties, and information on the posting process and such.

As an aside, how difficult is it to get back to your home province? I'm in St. John's NL and would very much like to return one day.
Google and here probably have the best info. CBSA is not good at selling itself and you won’t find much of that sort of info.

Getting to NL would be challenging due to the lack of positions overall but could be accomplished eventually. Spousal transfers get priority and are often how people get home to smaller locations. Other people take leave without pay, move home, and wait for a position to open up.
Thanks for the info! I was able to find a what appears to be an internal review or something regarding recruitment, which ended up being a wealth of information.

The leave without pay thing...yikes.

What does a spousal transfer consist of?

CNYEG
Regular Member
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:50 am

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby CNYEG » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:40 pm

Squadcar wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:20 pm
melom wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:49 pm
Squadcar wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:51 am
Hi all! Could someone point me in the direction of a good resource to learn more about the CBSA? I've recently taken an interest in applying and I'm trying to learn as much as I possibly can, but unlike the RCMP or other large police services, I'm finding that information about the CBSA is somewhat limited on their websites. I've found the info on the recruiting and whatnot but I'm more interested in things like day to day duties, and information on the posting process and such.

As an aside, how difficult is it to get back to your home province? I'm in St. John's NL and would very much like to return one day.
Google and here probably have the best info. CBSA is not good at selling itself and you won’t find much of that sort of info.

Getting to NL would be challenging due to the lack of positions overall but could be accomplished eventually. Spousal transfers get priority and are often how people get home to smaller locations. Other people take leave without pay, move home, and wait for a position to open up.
Thanks for the info! I was able to find a what appears to be an internal review or something regarding recruitment, which ended up being a wealth of information.

The leave without pay thing...yikes.

What does a spousal transfer consist of?
There is some really great info that members have clearly taken a lot of time to write free in this forum. If you type spousal transfer in to the search bar at the top of this page, you'll find some great responses :)
CBSA Application:

Applied: Sept, 2018
OTEE: Oct, 2018
PARE: Nov, 2018
Interview: Nov, 2018

Pscych Evaluation: April, 2019
Security papers sent April 2019
Medical Evaluation: May 2019
Security Interview:
OITP:
Rigaud:

umar99
Rookie Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:59 am

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby umar99 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:01 am

Hey so i wrote my OTEE exam back in Oct of 2018 and passed, i received a packaged containing the following steps but since than i have not received any updates of any sort. Just wondering if there are still people who are out there that applied in October 2018 from GTA and still waiting for receive their interview. Its been nearly six months...Fingers crossed!

Thanks! :)

Stathakos
Regular Member
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:51 pm
Location: Prairie Region

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Stathakos » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:31 pm

Squadcar wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:20 pm
melom wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:49 pm
Squadcar wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:51 am
Hi all! Could someone point me in the direction of a good resource to learn more about the CBSA? I've recently taken an interest in applying and I'm trying to learn as much as I possibly can, but unlike the RCMP or other large police services, I'm finding that information about the CBSA is somewhat limited on their websites. I've found the info on the recruiting and whatnot but I'm more interested in things like day to day duties, and information on the posting process and such.

As an aside, how difficult is it to get back to your home province? I'm in St. John's NL and would very much like to return one day.
Google and here probably have the best info. CBSA is not good at selling itself and you won’t find much of that sort of info.

Getting to NL would be challenging due to the lack of positions overall but could be accomplished eventually. Spousal transfers get priority and are often how people get home to smaller locations. Other people take leave without pay, move home, and wait for a position to open up.
Thanks for the info! I was able to find a what appears to be an internal review or something regarding recruitment, which ended up being a wealth of information.

The leave without pay thing...yikes.

What does a spousal transfer consist of?


It also involves going on leave without pay. Some officers wait over a month before getting picked up, even with spousal...
The opinions expressed in the above post are the author's own and not of the Government of Canada or of the Canada Border Services Agency & the statements do not reflect any official government position.

Prairie Region - Southern Manitoba District

Stathakos
Regular Member
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:51 pm
Location: Prairie Region

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Stathakos » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:32 pm

Question for fellow BSOs

If I want to get to inland, is air mode really my best bet? Or can I still have a fighting chance from a land port, say one in Southern Ontario?


Thanks!
The opinions expressed in the above post are the author's own and not of the Government of Canada or of the Canada Border Services Agency & the statements do not reflect any official government position.

Prairie Region - Southern Manitoba District

MakingItTrue
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:27 pm

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby MakingItTrue » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:47 pm

Hey all. Getting close to rigaud, I'm curious if there is any math involved while you're there? I know the aptitude tests of course had it, but do they include it in rigaud? Thank you

Stathakos
Regular Member
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:51 pm
Location: Prairie Region

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Stathakos » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:45 pm

MakingItTrue wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:47 pm
Hey all. Getting close to rigaud, I'm curious if there is any math involved while you're there? I know the aptitude tests of course had it, but do they include it in rigaud? Thank you
Not like in the test nope. But you are gonna be expected to know some very basic math
The opinions expressed in the above post are the author's own and not of the Government of Canada or of the Canada Border Services Agency & the statements do not reflect any official government position.

Prairie Region - Southern Manitoba District

LobsterCop
Rookie Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 5:24 pm

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby LobsterCop » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:08 am

Just trying to get a realistic idea of where people are getting deployed when it comes to small communities. That's the stream I am in, I have passed everything up until the second psych eval, I am just waiting for that to happen.

I saw someone post about their location, a population under 100, 120km away from even a hospital. Is this level of remoteness common? I live in what I would call a small community, under 5000 people, but we at least have the ability to get medical help with out driving 120km

Could anyone from a small community share their story? :)

Campin16
Rookie Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:52 pm

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Campin16 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:10 pm

umar99 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:01 am
Hey so i wrote my OTEE exam back in Oct of 2018 and passed, i received a packaged containing the following steps but since than i have not received any updates of any sort. Just wondering if there are still people who are out there that applied in October 2018 from GTA and still waiting for receive their interview. Its been nearly six months...Fingers crossed!

Thanks! :)
I'm in the exact same situation as you. I emailed recruitment a few weeks ago asking if everyone that passes the OTEE is guaranteed an interview or if there is a point when you need to reapply? The answer I got was that everyone eventually gets an interview, you just have to be patient....
CBSA
Applied: July 2018
OTEE: October 20th 2018
OTEE Results: October 31st (PASS! 77%)
Interview: June 19th 2019

CdnShield
Rookie Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:01 pm

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby CdnShield » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:03 pm

Regarding the assignment of work location of new hires....how much does CBSA try to accommodate the recruit's preferred locations?

Do most folks end up being sent to one of the locations they indicated they wanted to work at? Does anyone have experience of being sent somewhere they really did not want to go and how that played out?
Applied - August 2018
OTEE - Sept 2018 (results 6 weeks later)
Interview - Dec 2018 (results 4 days later)
CFSC/CRFSC - Feb 2019
PARE - March 2019
Psych written - April 2019

Stathakos
Regular Member
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:51 pm
Location: Prairie Region

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Stathakos » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:39 pm

LobsterCop wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:08 am
Just trying to get a realistic idea of where people are getting deployed when it comes to small communities. That's the stream I am in, I have passed everything up until the second psych eval, I am just waiting for that to happen.

I saw someone post about their location, a population under 100, 120km away from even a hospital. Is this level of remoteness common? I live in what I would call a small community, under 5000 people, but we at least have the ability to get medical help with out driving 120km

Could anyone from a small community share their story? :)
I'm from Toronto and got deployed to south Western Manitoba. The community I live in is just under 1000. There is basic necessities in town like a grocery store (co op) and post office, gas etc. And a hospital for minor injuries/doctor check ups..If I want 'normal' city life i have to drive over an hour to Brandon MB or 3 hrs to Winnipeg. It's tough but the officers I work with and the support you have from management knowing you're away from your home makes up for it 10 fold.
The opinions expressed in the above post are the author's own and not of the Government of Canada or of the Canada Border Services Agency & the statements do not reflect any official government position.

Prairie Region - Southern Manitoba District

Stathakos
Regular Member
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:51 pm
Location: Prairie Region

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Stathakos » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:42 pm

CdnShield wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:03 pm
Regarding the assignment of work location of new hires....how much does CBSA try to accommodate the recruit's preferred locations?

Do most folks end up being sent to one of the locations they indicated they wanted to work at? Does anyone have experience of being sent somewhere they really did not want to go and how that played out?
They'll let you trade spots in Rigaud if both parties are interested. Thats about it for accommodation. Im from Toronto and was supposed to go to Northern B.c. but I traded with a classmate and ended up in SW Manitoba. Youd have to prove the CBSA has a duty to accommodate you with actual legislation that's in place. So far I'm not in my ideal place, but the staff and the working experience has not been bad at all. I'm just 2400km away from where I want to be :mrgreen:
The opinions expressed in the above post are the author's own and not of the Government of Canada or of the Canada Border Services Agency & the statements do not reflect any official government position.

Prairie Region - Southern Manitoba District

Cookie Monster
Rookie Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:01 pm

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Cookie Monster » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:08 am

umar99 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:01 am
Hey so i wrote my OTEE exam back in Oct of 2018 and passed, i received a packaged containing the following steps but since than i have not received any updates of any sort. Just wondering if there are still people who are out there that applied in October 2018 from GTA and still waiting for receive their interview. Its been nearly six months...Fingers crossed!

Thanks! :)
Hey Umar ! Don’t worry ! I waited 7months before receiving my date for the interview. Where do you come from ?
Septembre 2016 : Entrevue : Failed

Avril 2019 : Entrevue

Jumb34t
Rookie Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:57 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Jumb34t » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:10 pm

Campin16 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:10 pm
umar99 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:01 am
Hey so i wrote my OTEE exam back in Oct of 2018 and passed, i received a packaged containing the following steps but since than i have not received any updates of any sort. Just wondering if there are still people who are out there that applied in October 2018 from GTA and still waiting for receive their interview. Its been nearly six months...Fingers crossed!

Thanks! :)
I'm in the exact same situation as you. I emailed recruitment a few weeks ago asking if everyone that passes the OTEE is guaranteed an interview or if there is a point when you need to reapply? The answer I got was that everyone eventually gets an interview, you just have to be patient....
Also did my OTEE on October 2018 and I just did my interview last friday. Really just gotta wait for it to come. Good luck :)
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Sept 28/2018
OTEE: Oct 16/2018
OTEE Result: Oct 31/2018 Pass 77.5%
Interview: April 26/2019 Pass
PARE: Aug 16/2019
Psych: TBD

cb681
Rookie Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:02 pm

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby cb681 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:57 pm

Stathakos wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:42 pm
They'll let you trade spots in Rigaud if both parties are interested. Thats about it for accommodation. Im from Toronto and was supposed to go to Northern B.c. but I traded with a classmate and ended up in SW Manitoba. Youd have to prove the CBSA has a duty to accommodate you with actual legislation that's in place. So far I'm not in my ideal place, but the staff and the working experience has not been bad at all. I'm just 2400km away from where I want to be :mrgreen:
Hey Stathakos, thanks for taking the time to answer some well needed inside knowledge, I was under the impression that letting recruits trade their assigned port was a trial run, is that the norm now? I remember reading this was the case for intake 9.
OITP: May 2019
Rigaud: July 2019
14C


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chronoclast17, Gaster93, Google [Bot], king and 16 guests