Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Ziggy Stardust
King Poobah

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:55 pm

The psych interview is not a "test". It's not something you prepare for. It is an interview to discuss the results of the testing. Anyone who attempts to give you advice about it is doing you a disservice because their test results will not be the same as yours. Any "advice" will more than likely just mess with your head.
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

habsfan1221
Rookie Member

Postby habsfan1221 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:08 pm

Ziggy Stardust wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:55 pm
The psych interview is not a "test". It's not something you prepare for. It is an interview to discuss the results of the testing. Anyone who attempts to give you advice about it is doing you a disservice because their test results will not be the same as yours. Any "advice" will more than likely just mess with your head.
Does everyone get the follow up interview? I did mine March 29th and have not had a follow up. Hoping that doesn't mean I failed.

cb681

Postby cb681 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:36 pm

habsfan1221 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:08 pm
Does everyone get the follow up interview? I did mine March 29th and have not had a follow up. Hoping that doesn't mean I failed.
You should have had the interview scheduled after you completed the multiple choice portion. I would contact the psych office and follow up.

habsfan1221
Rookie Member

Postby habsfan1221 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:50 pm

cb681 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:36 pm
habsfan1221 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:08 pm
You should have had the interview scheduled after you completed the multiple choice portion. I would contact the psych office and follow up.
I had the interview part of it but I heard people getting phone calls or going over results of the assessment with the psychologist and that's the part I didn't do. My results were late coming in because it was the end of the day and she said she would call me if she had any questions but I never got a call. So was either good to go or so bad that it wasnt worth the call Haha

JoshG

Postby JoshG » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:01 am

Are there any benefits being employed as a BSO as an RCMP applicant? I’ve read in a post from years ago that you will receive your regular salary at depot. As I understand you would have to go through the process same as any new applicants but can you save time by already having a security clearance? Does seniority transfer?
Corrections Officer

melom
Sage Member

Postby melom » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:45 pm

JoshG wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:01 am
Are there any benefits being employed as a BSO as an RCMP applicant? I’ve read in a post from years ago that you will receive your regular salary at depot. As I understand you would have to go through the process same as any new applicants but can you save time by already having a security clearance? Does seniority transfer?
Yes time transfers, I don’t think it counts for seniority tho, just pension if I remember rightly. I don’t believe being a CBSA employee saves any meaningful amount of time.

melom
Sage Member

Postby melom » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:49 pm

Squadcar wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:51 am
Hi all! Could someone point me in the direction of a good resource to learn more about the CBSA? I've recently taken an interest in applying and I'm trying to learn as much as I possibly can, but unlike the RCMP or other large police services, I'm finding that information about the CBSA is somewhat limited on their websites. I've found the info on the recruiting and whatnot but I'm more interested in things like day to day duties, and information on the posting process and such.

As an aside, how difficult is it to get back to your home province? I'm in St. John's NL and would very much like to return one day.
Google and here probably have the best info. CBSA is not good at selling itself and you won’t find much of that sort of info.

Getting to NL would be challenging due to the lack of positions overall but could be accomplished eventually. Spousal transfers get priority and are often how people get home to smaller locations. Other people take leave without pay, move home, and wait for a position to open up.

StudentAnon
Rookie Member

Postby StudentAnon » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:58 pm

Curious, are student bso's considered to hold peace officer status while working in ports like regular BSO's? If not what are they considered? Civil servants?

Squadcar

Postby Squadcar » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:20 pm

melom wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:49 pm
Squadcar wrote:
Hi all! Could someone point me in the direction of a good resource to learn more about the CBSA? I've recently taken an interest in applying and I'm trying to learn as much as I possibly can, but unlike the RCMP or other large police services, I'm finding that information about the CBSA is somewhat limited on their websites. I've found the info on the recruiting and whatnot but I'm more interested in things like day to day duties, and information on the posting process and such.

As an aside, how difficult is it to get back to your home province? I'm in St. John's NL and would very much like to return one day.
Google and here probably have the best info. CBSA is not good at selling itself and you won’t find much of that sort of info.

Getting to NL would be challenging due to the lack of positions overall but could be accomplished eventually. Spousal transfers get priority and are often how people get home to smaller locations. Other people take leave without pay, move home, and wait for a position to open up.
Thanks for the info! I was able to find a what appears to be an internal review or something regarding recruitment, which ended up being a wealth of information.

The leave without pay thing...yikes.

What does a spousal transfer consist of?

BoltUp

Postby BoltUp » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:40 pm

Squadcar wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:20 pm
melom wrote:
Squadcar wrote:

Thanks for the info! I was able to find a what appears to be an internal review or something regarding recruitment, which ended up being a wealth of information.

There is some really great info that members have clearly taken a lot of time to write free in this forum. If you type spousal transfer in to the search bar at the top of this page, you'll find some great responses :)
CBSA Application:

Applied: Sept, 2018
OTEE: Oct, 2018
PARE: Nov, 2018
Interview: Nov, 2018

Pscych Evaluation: April, 2019
Security papers sent April 30, 2019
Medical Evaluation: May 2019
Integrity Interview: August 2019

OITP:
Rigaud:

umar99
Rookie Member

Postby umar99 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:01 am

Hey so i wrote my OTEE exam back in Oct of 2018 and passed, i received a packaged containing the following steps but since than i have not received any updates of any sort. Just wondering if there are still people who are out there that applied in October 2018 from GTA and still waiting for receive their interview. Its been nearly six months...Fingers crossed!

Thanks! :)

Stathakos

Postby Stathakos » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:31 pm

Squadcar wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:20 pm
melom wrote:
Squadcar wrote:

It also involves going on leave without pay. Some officers wait over a month before getting picked up, even with spousal...
The opinions expressed in the above post are the author's own and not of the Government of Canada or of the Canada Border Services Agency & the statements do not reflect any official government position.

Prairie Region - Southern Manitoba District

Stathakos

Postby Stathakos » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:32 pm

Question for fellow BSOs

If I want to get to inland, is air mode really my best bet? Or can I still have a fighting chance from a land port, say one in Southern Ontario?

Thanks!
The opinions expressed in the above post are the author's own and not of the Government of Canada or of the Canada Border Services Agency & the statements do not reflect any official government position.

MakingItTrue
Rookie Member

Postby MakingItTrue » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:47 pm

Hey all. Getting close to rigaud, I'm curious if there is any math involved while you're there? I know the aptitude tests of course had it, but do they include it in rigaud? Thank you

Stathakos

Postby Stathakos » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:45 pm

MakingItTrue wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:47 pm
Hey all. Getting close to rigaud, I'm curious if there is any math involved while you're there? I know the aptitude tests of course had it, but do they include it in rigaud? Thank you
Not like in the test nope. But you are gonna be expected to know some very basic math