Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

BoltUp

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby BoltUp » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:26 pm

Last edited by BoltUp on Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Athejme
Rookie Member

Postby Athejme » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:36 pm

Thank you guys for your replies. It is pretty stressful though because if i don’t make it, i gotta wait a whole year.
Let’s hope for the best

affinity54
Rookie Member

Postby affinity54 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:41 am

Athejme wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:36 pm
Thank you guys for your replies. It is pretty stressful though because if i don’t make it, i gotta wait a whole year.
Let’s hope for the best
Try not to stress about it too much - it's over and done with now! I finished the exam and I am feeling just as nervous, so we can be nervous together! I'm glad that the results are made available relatively quickly.

Cheers and best of luck - my fingers are crossed for the both of us!

JoshG

Postby JoshG » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:25 pm

Does anybody know the current requirements for inland enforcement? Do they still require education? And do you need to be bilingual?
Corrections Officer

CanadianQuackers

Postby CanadianQuackers » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:35 pm

Are there any academics/scholars on here that are in the CBSA? I have applied but I was curious as to what kind of experiences that post-graduate students have had during their employment? Did anyone start after they gained employment? Has your grad schooling made you more employable and mobile within the rankings/workforce? Are the CBSA accomadating of employees gaining more education?

stribor45
Veteran Member

Postby stribor45 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:48 pm

Lospollos wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 5:44 pm
rchahal19 wrote:
Stone. wrote:
This is true. "With the introduction of selection process 16-BSF-EA-NBSO-FB-006, university and college graduates will no longer be required to write the two standardized tests. The university degree and minimum two (2)-year college diploma must be from a recognized post-secondary institution."

What if i apply with a semester left to graduate university? I have completed 4 years and just have a semester or two left to finish a few more classes left, should I attach a transcript of where i stand in terms of my university education? And in the future if my application were to be accepted, would it be possible to not be required to take those tests even though i am still in university?
Unfortunately, no I am in the exact same boat as you I have 6 classes left and I messaged recruiting about my situation and recruiting told me I would still have to take the test regardless or I would have to wait until I have my actual degree in order to apply

I didn't notice anything on web site that says exam is omitted if you have degree or diploma or this is just old post and outdated information?

Thanks

Tornelco
Veteran Member

Postby Tornelco » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:04 pm

stribor45 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:48 pm

I didn't notice anything on web site that says exam is omitted if you have degree or diploma or this is just old post and outdated information?

Thanks
Hi,

Before 2019, if you had a 2-year college diploma or higher then you were exempt from the OTEE. This is no longer the case for some reason.

Pretty funny for me since I was exempt from the OTEE in 2018 but then I wasn't exempt in 2019 but I was able to pass the exam anyways.
"Don't put a man where you can put a bullet"
-Sgt K, An Amazing Police Officer

cbsa_insight
Veteran Member

Postby cbsa_insight » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:09 pm

CanadianQuackers wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:35 pm
Are there any academics/scholars on here that are in the CBSA? I have applied but I was curious as to what kind of experiences that post-graduate students have had during their employment? Did anyone start after they gained employment? Has your grad schooling made you more employable and mobile within the rankings/workforce? Are the CBSA accomadating of employees gaining more education?
Once you're on the inside, having an advanced education mostly serves as a benefit if you want to move to Headquarters to work in Policy, or advance within a specialized unit. Staying within operations, Intel, or programs really doesn't require/value education as much as policy and subject matter expertise. I've been posted abroad for over a year now, and I can tell you first hand that my selection for this position was based largely on my education and knowledge of additional languages.

If you want to work in Ops, Intel, inland, the BOC, NTC, or any run-of-the-mill position in programs, they aren't going to care if you have a diploma from a community college vs a degree (with exceptions with some FB-04 positions). You can expect however, that positions of FB-06 and above are likely going to require the completion of a BA.

That being said, we have some very educated officers working the front line that simply enjoy the position and don't desire climbing the corporate ladder. I worked alongside many BSO's with MA's and MBA's, graduates of teachers college, engineers, and some that passed the bar following law school.

As a reference, I have an BA, MA, and Post graduate certificate.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Orphee
Rookie Member

Postby Orphee » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:28 pm

Hello!

I also did the OTEE yesterday (February 25th 2019) and I was not able to complete the test under 2h30. Like you, I completed only 65-70% of the test. I totally agree with you, some of the questions needed a lot more time to answers them correctly. I don't read very quickly but I have a bachelor degree so... it's not like I never had to pass an exam in my life. I really think, based on the directives in the email that we received for the exam, that it will be considered as a failed OTEE. We will have to wait 1 year to be able to reapply.
Last edited by Orphee on Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Orphee
Rookie Member

Postby Orphee » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:30 pm

Athejme wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:09 am
Hi guys. I did OTEE exam yesterday and i didnt have enough time to finish it. It is bad? I feel there was too many questions that were too long for 2:30 hours
I was able to finish around 65-75 questions .
Usually how much time does it take to get the results?
Thank you
Hello!

I also did the OTEE yesterday (February 25th 2019) and I was not able to complete the test under 2h30. Like you, I completed only 65-70% of the test. I totally agree with you, some of the questions needed a lot more time to answers them correctly. I don't read very quickly but I have a bachelor degree so... it's not like I never had to pass an exam in my life. I really think, based on the directives in the email that we received for the exam, that it will be considered as a failed OTEE. We will have to wait 1 year to be able to reapply.

Ziggy Stardust
King Poobah

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:51 pm

Back in the day, the CIT was an all day test. Portions of the morning testing consisted of providing information that you had a specific amount of time to study and would be tested on in the afternoon. It was common knowledge that a time management strategy was crucial in order to do well on the test. I'm surprised that 25 years later people are still challenged by this rather basic strategy for doing well in written testing. You are being tested on more than knowledge. You are being tested on time management, adaptability, assessing priorities, the ability to handle stressful situations.... the list goes on.

Learn from the experience and you will do better next time.
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

JoshG

Postby JoshG » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:41 am

cbsa_insight wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:09 pm
CanadianQuackers wrote:
Once you're on the inside, having an advanced education mostly serves as a benefit if you want to move to Headquarters to work in Policy, or advance within a specialized unit. Staying within operations, Intel, or programs really doesn't require/value education as much as policy and subject matter expertise. I've been posted abroad for over a year now, and I can tell you first hand that my selection for this position was based largely on my education and knowledge of additional languages.

If you want to work in Ops, Intel, inland, the BOC, NTC, or any run-of-the-mill position in programs, they aren't going to care if you have a diploma from a community college vs a degree (with exceptions with some FB-04 positions). You can expect however, that positions of FB-06 and above are likely going to require the completion of a BA.

That being said, we have some very educated officers working the front line that simply enjoy the position and don't desire climbing the corporate ladder. I worked alongside many BSO's with MA's and MBA's, graduates of teachers college, engineers, and some that passed the bar following law school.

Hey, maybe you can speak to a question I asked a little further up the forum. Do positions within the CBSA, namely Inland Enforcement, require post-secondary education to apply? Will I be at a disadvantage moving up in a CBSA career having only a highschool diploma?
Corrections Officer

CanadianQuackers

Postby CanadianQuackers » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:16 am

cbsa_insight wrote:
CanadianQuackers wrote:

Thanks for the response!

That's great to know, I assumed there would be a mix of people working frontline/higher up positions but I didn't realize that general specializations would require relatively similar education to other frontline BSO’s. Did you complete your post-grad cert/MA while working for CBSA? Do you know anyone who has? Higher learning is definitely something I enjoy doing, so I'm just curious if it's feasible to complete, even in a part-time fashion. I'm really glad to read that policymaking comes from within, that definitely intrigues me as my current background is political science and I have looked into public admin/similar MA’s.

Lastly, is there a pay increase with FB-04 and the other rankings above? I would assume so but assumptions aren't always the best basis so I thought id ask.

Suikoden

Postby Suikoden » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:49 am

CanadianQuackers wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:16 am
cbsa_insight wrote:
CanadianQuackers wrote:

Thanks for the response!

That's great to know, I assumed there would be a mix of people working frontline/higher up positions but I didn't realize that general specializations would require relatively similar education to other frontline BSO’s. Did you complete your post-grad cert/MA while working for CBSA? Do you know anyone who has? Higher learning is definitely something I enjoy doing, so I'm just curious if it's feasible to complete, even in a part-time fashion. I'm really glad to read that policymaking comes from within, that definitely intrigues me as my current background is political science and I have looked into public admin/similar MA’s.

Lastly, is there a pay increase with FB-04 and the other rankings above? I would assume so but assumptions aren't always the best basis so I thought id ask.
I have a marketing and computer programming degree and am starting my BA in Criminology and Policing in May (it’s a two combined into one program). If you like learning like I do, maybe something to look into. The course is a four year part time course where it’s all completely online and there’s no set time to do activities or watch courses; the course is popular amongst current officers (or so I am told) but does not require having to be an officer to take (at least for Wilfred Laurier).

Though for someone who has no education, programming or accounting would be more beneficial based on stories I’ve been told

ie rcmp denied one person over and over so the person went to school for accounting while his two younger brothers became rcmp members (irony). The rcmp then approached this person many years later asking him to join now as they needed someone in forensics and he became a really well known accountant. He still had to do Depot but the rest is history.

But keep learning so long as you feel it will enable you to reach doing something that will make you happy!
Five laps owed so far

29 Mar - OTEE pass
28/29 Apr - CRFSC/CFSC pass

Suikoden

Postby Suikoden » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:38 am

Sorry for replying above. Thought this was general chit chat for cbsa when replying
Five laps owed so far

29 Mar - OTEE pass
28/29 Apr - CRFSC/CFSC pass