Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

JDube

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby JDube » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:40 am

cbsehh wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:22 am
JDube wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:11 am
cbsehh wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:10 pm
Are they putting in 50+ hour weeks every week? :shock:
I'm currently in the private sector and 50 hours weeks are a pretty common occurence. I don't see it as a big issue.
That's great for you if you can manage it and are being paid overtime. I am just trying to get an idea of how many hours of OT an fb-03 pulls to be able to say they make 100k on an average salary of 75k.
From what I hear, +/- 300hrs / year. Ballpark figure from one person's info.
Quebec CBSA applicant timeline
Applied: Jan 16th 2019
OTEE: Feb 21-25th 2019 - Results March 19th, Pass
Interview: May 27th - Results June 07th, Pass

cbsa_insight
Veteran Member

Postby cbsa_insight » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:15 pm

cbsehh wrote:
He said in his first year as an 03 he was able to make $90k with overtime. The overtime benefits are something I've seen repeated here and on other forums but my question is how many hours of overtime are these guys doing to be able to make 90k-100k a year as an 03 officer? Are they putting in 50+ hour weeks every week? :shock:
The Overtime isn't what it used to be, across the board. If you want Overtime, you're definitely better going to a land border, specifically, Southern Ontario. Their Overtime has diminished significantly, but, it's still abundant enough to pull in an additional 15-20K a year if you're motivated. Overtime at airports is at a minimum, you're disillusioned if you expect to bring in more than 5K in Overtime within a year at an airport.

Remember that on top of your salary, you're making around $700 (gross) on every Stat day worked, and there are 10 a year. That's 7K right off the hop. You also get an additional $2 an hour worked between 4pm-8am and an additional $2 an hour for every weekend shift. So, over the span of the year, depending on how many nights and evenings you work, that'll amount to an addition 3-4K gross.

So, with those circumstances you can start to see how officers are making more than their standard base salary.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

kytriga
Rookie Member

Postby kytriga » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:48 pm

@Jumb34t - Good luck to you on your journey in the future. I am in the same situation but have 3 girls all under 7 years old.
Jumb34t wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:13 am
Hopeful-1 wrote:
Jumb34t wrote:
I realized it says you withdrew your Riguard training because of an injury. Mind if I ask you if you ever decided or are planning to apply again? If so, you probably have to start from scratch, huh?

Yes I’ve applied again. The time has to be right for me though. I have 2 little girls under 2 and under so I’ll have to wait until they are a bit older so it’s easier on mom. I’ve already done the OTEE exam though so that part is at least over
Yea, fortunately you don't have to retake the OTEE, unless major changes have been made (that's what I read somewhere). And the same goes for me. Getting married in Japan soon and planning to sponsor my wife to come to Canada. So hopefully timing is great. Good luck to the both of us :D
Applied: 01.19.19
OTEEE: 02.25.19 Passed
Pare: N/A
Interview: N/A
Sec Sent: N/A
Psych: N/A
Medical: N/A
Security: N/A
OITP N/A
Rigaud N/A

cbsehh
Rookie Member

Postby cbsehh » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:35 pm

cbsa_insight wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:15 pm
cbsehh wrote:
He said in his first year as an 03 he was able to make $90k with overtime. The overtime benefits are something I've seen repeated here and on other forums but my question is how many hours of overtime are these guys doing to be able to make 90k-100k a year as an 03 officer? Are they putting in 50+ hour weeks every week? :shock:
The Overtime isn't what it used to be, across the board. If you want Overtime, you're definitely better going to a land border, specifically, Southern Ontario. Their Overtime has diminished significantly, but, it's still abundant enough to pull in an additional 15-20K a year if you're motivated. Overtime at airports is at a minimum, you're disillusioned if you expect to bring in more than 5K in Overtime within a year at an airport.

Remember that on top of your salary, you're making around $700 (gross) on every Stat day worked, and there are 10 a year. That's 7K right off the hop. You also get an additional $2 an hour worked between 4pm-8am and an additional $2 an hour for every weekend shift. So, over the span of the year, depending on how many nights and evenings you work, that'll amount to an addition 3-4K gross.

So, with those circumstances you can start to see how officers are making more than their standard base salary.
Thanks for the detailed answer. Like I mentioned the presentation was about 3 years ago so I'm not surprised things have changed. It did sound pretty far out there that they could be making $25k of overtime but the shift bonuses and stat holidays sure do push the salary into something very good.

Borderwatchman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Borderwatchman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:29 pm

cbsa_insight wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:40 am
Borderwatchman wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:22 pm
My hunch is that the TB is considering giving us a 25yr retirement plan with no penalty but only want those in uniform to qualify. Which I support. You can't be a desk jockey and expect a 25 and out when all you've done is hit a computer for most of your career.
I can't see the uniform being a determinate, the BOC and NTC's uniforms aren't going anywhere and there's no way that those guys are getting the 25-and-out option.

CIU is fighting hard against losing a lot of positions in the reclassification. Ultimately, the purpose of the reclassification is to allow proportionate at-level public servants the ability to move laterally to other government departments, and, for the TB to save money since the FB scale is significantly higher than PM's.
dog117 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:45 am
Any FB4's on here? I keep hearing about a reclassification for trade ops in the regions, but does anyone actually have any details?
I don't know what trade ops is, but, you should ask yourself, are these job functions done by other public service departments? If the answer is yes, then it will be probably be reclassified. Program & policy positions are gone, they're all the same thing across the public service. Unarmed positions like the NTC, WRC, RIA's are likely to stay within the FB classification since there is no relative position across the public service, but they would not quality for the 25yr retirement option since they are untooled.

... That's what I've been hearing, and it seems to make a lot of sense from a CBSA and TB perspective. The big loser is the CIU since they stand to lose a LOT of union dues.

The tricky thing is that some people go to HQ for assignments at the BOC or Targeting, and then come back to an armed position. How do you calculate their years? It gets dicey. Ultimately these positions will have to be "civilianized" if a proper 25yr pension is to be implemented. And if one goes from one position to the other, adjustments to pension will have to be made. It's no different from joining, for example, a police force at the age of 45. You won't get the same pension as someone who joined at the age of 25.
The union can squawk all it wants. Keep in mind, the FB03s make up the vast majority of CIU. Add Intel and CID and you got a big majority. On top of that, it's TB's call. If the gov't wants to reclassify, it will. There's nothing a union can do.

Athejme
Rookie Member

Postby Athejme » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:09 am

Hi guys. I did OTEE exam yesterday and i didnt have enough time to finish it. It is bad? I feel there was too many questions that were too long for 2:30 hours
I was able to finish around 65-75 questions .
Usually how much time does it take to get the results?
Thank you

Tornelco

Postby Tornelco » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:59 pm

Athejme wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:09 am
Hi guys. I did OTEE exam yesterday and i didnt have enough time to finish it. It is bad? I feel there was too many questions that were too long for 2:30 hours
I was able to finish around 65-75 questions .
Usually how much time does it take to get the results?
Thank you
Took me a month to get my results.

For the future. Maybe you should not have spent so much time on questions you struggled with. When I did the OTEE I probably skipped and came back to 40 or so questions. Ended up skipping and coming back multiple times till i had 7 questions left that I had NO IDEA how to answer with 20 minutes and Just guessed for those last seven.
What is better? To be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?

BoltUp

Postby BoltUp » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:26 pm

Last edited by BoltUp on Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Athejme
Rookie Member

Postby Athejme » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:36 pm

Thank you guys for your replies. It is pretty stressful though because if i don’t make it, i gotta wait a whole year.
Let’s hope for the best

affinity54
Rookie Member

Postby affinity54 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:41 am

Athejme wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:36 pm
Thank you guys for your replies. It is pretty stressful though because if i don’t make it, i gotta wait a whole year.
Let’s hope for the best
Try not to stress about it too much - it's over and done with now! I finished the exam and I am feeling just as nervous, so we can be nervous together! I'm glad that the results are made available relatively quickly.

Cheers and best of luck - my fingers are crossed for the both of us!

JoshG

Postby JoshG » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:25 pm

Does anybody know the current requirements for inland enforcement? Do they still require education? And do you need to be bilingual?
Corrections Officer

CanadianQuackers

Postby CanadianQuackers » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:35 pm

Are there any academics/scholars on here that are in the CBSA? I have applied but I was curious as to what kind of experiences that post-graduate students have had during their employment? Did anyone start after they gained employment? Has your grad schooling made you more employable and mobile within the rankings/workforce? Are the CBSA accomadating of employees gaining more education?

stribor45
Veteran Member

Postby stribor45 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:48 pm

Lospollos wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 5:44 pm
rchahal19 wrote:
Stone. wrote:
This is true. "With the introduction of selection process 16-BSF-EA-NBSO-FB-006, university and college graduates will no longer be required to write the two standardized tests. The university degree and minimum two (2)-year college diploma must be from a recognized post-secondary institution."

What if i apply with a semester left to graduate university? I have completed 4 years and just have a semester or two left to finish a few more classes left, should I attach a transcript of where i stand in terms of my university education? And in the future if my application were to be accepted, would it be possible to not be required to take those tests even though i am still in university?
Unfortunately, no I am in the exact same boat as you I have 6 classes left and I messaged recruiting about my situation and recruiting told me I would still have to take the test regardless or I would have to wait until I have my actual degree in order to apply

I didn't notice anything on web site that says exam is omitted if you have degree or diploma or this is just old post and outdated information?

Thanks

Tornelco

Postby Tornelco » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:04 pm

stribor45 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:48 pm

I didn't notice anything on web site that says exam is omitted if you have degree or diploma or this is just old post and outdated information?

Thanks
Hi,

Before 2019, if you had a 2-year college diploma or higher then you were exempt from the OTEE. This is no longer the case for some reason.

Pretty funny for me since I was exempt from the OTEE in 2018 but then I wasn't exempt in 2019 but I was able to pass the exam anyways.
What is better? To be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?

cbsa_insight
Veteran Member

Postby cbsa_insight » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:09 pm

CanadianQuackers wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:35 pm
Are there any academics/scholars on here that are in the CBSA? I have applied but I was curious as to what kind of experiences that post-graduate students have had during their employment? Did anyone start after they gained employment? Has your grad schooling made you more employable and mobile within the rankings/workforce? Are the CBSA accomadating of employees gaining more education?
Once you're on the inside, having an advanced education mostly serves as a benefit if you want to move to Headquarters to work in Policy, or advance within a specialized unit. Staying within operations, Intel, or programs really doesn't require/value education as much as policy and subject matter expertise. I've been posted abroad for over a year now, and I can tell you first hand that my selection for this position was based largely on my education and knowledge of additional languages.

If you want to work in Ops, Intel, inland, the BOC, NTC, or any run-of-the-mill position in programs, they aren't going to care if you have a diploma from a community college vs a degree (with exceptions with some FB-04 positions). You can expect however, that positions of FB-06 and above are likely going to require the completion of a BA.

That being said, we have some very educated officers working the front line that simply enjoy the position and don't desire climbing the corporate ladder. I worked alongside many BSO's with MA's and MBA's, graduates of teachers college, engineers, and some that passed the bar following law school.

As a reference, I have an BA, MA, and Post graduate certificate.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson