Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Natashatoronto3654
Rookie Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Natashatoronto3654 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:12 pm

1) After placement, what type of job we likely be doing?
2) Can we have some options what type of job we want to do?
3) If we will be asked to relocate another city, province, will employer help with getting place and settlement at new location?
4) How things set with working outside of Canada? Is the accomodation paid in this case? Are they help with settlement?

Thanks very much, very appreciate any information.

Natashatoronto3654
Rookie Member

Postby Natashatoronto3654 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:21 am

Hk

chhadd5
Rookie Member

Postby chhadd5 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:42 pm

Hey all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched the boards but could not find anything I thought was relevant.

I was just curious how difficult it is to get hired being only a permanent resident?

I applied to the CBSA with the application closing on Feb. 8. The website says my application has been retained, which I would imagine is a pretty generic response. I know preference is given to citizens so I was just curious.

I have been a Correctional Officer in Ontario for the past 3 years and am looking to make the jump to CBSA.

Any help would be appreciated!

Natashatoronto3654
Rookie Member

Postby Natashatoronto3654 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:19 pm

I am a citizen and got same response. Wondering for how long we should wait to find out if we were selected to proceed further??
chhadd5 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:42 pm
Hey all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched the boards but could not find anything I thought was relevant.

I was just curious how difficult it is to get hired being only a permanent resident?

I applied to the CBSA with the application closing on Feb. 8. The website says my application has been retained, which I would imagine is a pretty generic response. I know preference is given to citizens so I was just curious.

I have been a Correctional Officer in Ontario for the past 3 years and am looking to make the jump to CBSA.

Any help would be appreciated!

Asicman
Rookie Member

Postby Asicman » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:33 pm

Natashatoronto3654 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:12 pm

1) After placement, what type of job we likely be doing?
Land border like Airport you will be doing Immigration, Primary and Secondary.
in land borders you will search motor vehicules, in airport you will do luggage.

2) Can we have some options what type of job we want to do?
You will rotate between all 3 sides of the Job everyday.

3) If we will be asked to relocate another city, province, will employer help with getting place and settlement at new location?
They will give you a 5000$ allocation to move but exploration, finding a place etc etc is on you in the 2 weeks you have after graduation

4) How things set with working outside of Canada? Is the accomodation paid in this case? Are they help with settlement?
There is no posting outside Canada for new officers... The only outside jobs are Liaison officers.

Thanks very much, very appreciate any information.

dog117
Rookie Member

Postby dog117 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:45 am

Any FB4's on here? I keep hearing about a reclassification for trade ops in the regions, but does anyone actually have any details?

Borderwatchman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Borderwatchman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:22 pm

dog117 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:45 am
Any FB4's on here? I keep hearing about a reclassification for trade ops in the regions, but does anyone actually have any details?
TB is looking at reclassifying many jobs out of the FB classification. Who it will affect is the million dollar question. Some people speculate it will be Trade since it's not a uniform position. However, Intel Analysts aren't uniformed either. But they play a vital role. Targeters are another FB04 position. But they play a vital role. Well, when they were local they did. I'm not sure how effective they are now that they're in Ottawa and anyone now is allowed to be a Targeter.

My hunch is that the TB is considering giving us a 25yr retirement plan with no penalty but only want those in uniform to qualify. Which I support. You can't be a desk jockey and expect a 25 and out when all you've done is hit a computer for most of your career.

kasiero

Postby kasiero » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:24 pm

Borderwatchman I like your style you let people know what it’s like in the force. It’s not all peaches and cream those who don’t have life experience would not understand how things work in all work places there bad apples every where in all agencies ( you just have to know how to deal with them) it ain’t as professional as most seem to put it just be straight forward and honest right part of LEO creed is to be honest right. Potentials should know what they are really getting into. I myself will begin the process, and see how it goes. If successful with the exam how long after do you get an interview? The PARE is what I am mostly concerned with the timing after the interview this information would be much appreciated as I am recovering from a surgery.

cbsa_insight
Veteran Member

Postby cbsa_insight » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:40 am

Borderwatchman wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:22 pm
My hunch is that the TB is considering giving us a 25yr retirement plan with no penalty but only want those in uniform to qualify. Which I support. You can't be a desk jockey and expect a 25 and out when all you've done is hit a computer for most of your career.
I can't see the uniform being a determinate, the BOC and NTC's uniforms aren't going anywhere and there's no way that those guys are getting the 25-and-out option.

CIU is fighting hard against losing a lot of positions in the reclassification. Ultimately, the purpose of the reclassification is to allow proportionate at-level public servants the ability to move laterally to other government departments, and, for the TB to save money since the FB scale is significantly higher than PM's.
dog117 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:45 am
I don't know what trade ops is, but, you should ask yourself, are these job functions done by other public service departments? If the answer is yes, then it will be probably be reclassified. Program & policy positions are gone, they're all the same thing across the public service. Unarmed positions like the NTC, WRC, RIA's are likely to stay within the FB classification since there is no relative position across the public service, but they would not quality for the 25yr retirement option since they are untooled.

... That's what I've been hearing, and it seems to make a lot of sense from a CBSA and TB perspective. The big loser is the CIU since they stand to lose a LOT of union dues.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

cbsa_insight
Veteran Member

Postby cbsa_insight » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:59 am

Natashatoronto3654 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:35 am
Hi, I am starting my carrier at CBSA as FB-3, and wondering how likely i can get job later on as FB-6 or FB-7? What will be needed for that how how long it might take me? Thank you so much
It depends on the region, and what happens with the reclassification. The vast majority of FB-04 and FB-06's are likely to be moved into PM positions, which means that the 06's will predominantly be staffed through a PM02-PM04-PM06 progression as opposed to a FB03-FB05 path. Moving from a FB-03 to a FB-06 wasn't/isn't impossible, but it's rare.

A lot of these advancement opportunities have a lot to do with where you are posted. You don't see a gamut of FB-06 positions in the regions, if you're in Ottawa, they grow on trees. If you're in the NCR, FB-03's can move to FB-04 positions at will, and once you're in a FB-04 position, you're acting in a 06 in no time. The thing is, within the NCR anyway, once you move to headquarters you're formfitting your tools, so you'll eventually be ineligible to apply on Superintendent (FB05) and Chief (FB07) processes, although you can apply on the FB08 competitions within HQ.

In my experience, the best officers rarely move up quickly and into positions of influence. There's a subculture within the world of managers and administrators, and it doesn't typically coincide with an alpha, salt of the earth, or enforcement-minded officer disposition.

I would tell anyone that truly wants to climb the corporate ladder quickly and effectively to get out of the field ASAP, learn French, and park yourself in front of a computer screen for 8 hours a day.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

cbsehh
Rookie Member

Postby cbsehh » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:09 pm

Last edited by cbsehh on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbsehh
Rookie Member

Postby cbsehh » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:10 pm

I remember a couple years ago the CBSA gave a presentation at my college about SBSO and the BSO opportunities. One of the officers was a fb-03 (I assume) working at the airport. He said in his first year as an 03 he was able to make $90k with overtime. The overtime benefits are something I've seen repeated here and on other forums but my question is how many hours of overtime are these guys doing to be able to make 90k-100k a year as an 03 officer? Are they putting in 50+ hour weeks every week? :shock:

Ziggy Stardust
King Poobah

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:37 am

Borderwatchman wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:22 pm
This has been my opinion since they started talking about it. The problem as I see it is that on one hand CIU is asking for 25 and out and yet will fight tooth and nail to oppose the reclassification of positions out of the FB group that might make it possible. But reclassification is coming regardless and I'm not sure CIU will be able to stop it. I'm confident that they will try, however.
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

JDube

Postby JDube » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:11 am

cbsehh wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:10 pm
Are they putting in 50+ hour weeks every week? :shock:
I'm currently in the private sector and 50 hours weeks are a pretty common occurence. I don't see it as a big issue.
Quebec CBSA Applicant timeline

Applied: September 25th 2015
GCT2/WCPT: November 30th 2015 (Results December 21st)
PARE: January 26th 2016
Interview: February 16th 2016 - 6/7

Applied: Jan 16th 2019
OTEE: Feb 21-25th 2019 - Results March 19th, Pass

cbsehh
Rookie Member

Postby cbsehh » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:22 am

JDube wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:11 am
cbsehh wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:10 pm
Are they putting in 50+ hour weeks every week? :shock:
I'm currently in the private sector and 50 hours weeks are a pretty common occurence. I don't see it as a big issue.
That's great for you if you can manage it and are being paid overtime. I am just trying to get an idea of how many hours of OT an fb-03 pulls to be able to say they make 100k on an average salary of 75k.