Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Silvaticus
Regular Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Silvaticus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:49 am

Stripes wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:26 am
Silvaticus wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:41 pm
Hey there!

I saw a posting for an "Enforcement Case Officer" and was wondering if someone here can tell me a little more about what a case officer does?

Thanks in advance!
My understanding is that it is a support role to Inland Enforcement operations. A lot of desk investigations to support field officers (so that they can spend more time in the field), along with setting up removals cases.
Thank you Stripes. That actually helps quite a bit. Sounds like an interesting position and about in line with what I am doing currently. I'd like to move my career more towards law enforcement however and hopefully someday soon out from behind a desk. It's not the end goal but a step in the right direction and no doubt great experience to add to the ever growing resume. I'm going to throw my hat in the ring and see what happens.
RCMP Applicant
Deferred until November, 2017

Ericbondou
Rookie Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:33 am

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Ericbondou » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:37 pm

Hi , im currently in the CF, 4 years of services,and going to rigaud in march , how would i transfer pension over ?
apply: sometime in 2016
test: previous results from 2014
int: 26 Feb 2018
pare: 16 march 2018
security paper: 11 april 2018
psyc: 5 april 2018
sle: 18 may and 23 july 2018
Med: 5 oct 2018
security int: 9 oct 2018
oitp: 20 dec 2018
rigaud: 11 March 2018

Natashatoronto3654
Rookie Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:21 am

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Natashatoronto3654 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:35 am

Hi, I am starting my carrier at CBSA as FB-3, and wondering how likely i can get job later on as FB-6 or FB-7? What will be needed for that how how long it might take me? Thank you so much

kzadm
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:36 pm

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby kzadm » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:27 pm

Hey everyone, are high school/college grades evaluated when you apply?

Stone.
Veteran Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:58 pm

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Stone. » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:22 am

kzadm wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:27 pm
Hey everyone, are high school/college grades evaluated when you apply?
No.

User avatar
Columbo
King Poobah
Posts: 1857
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:38 pm
Location: Barney's Beanery

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Columbo » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:45 am

Natashatoronto3654 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:35 am
Hi, I am starting my carrier at CBSA as FB-3, and wondering how likely i can get job later on as FB-6 or FB-7? What will be needed for that how how long it might take me? Thank you so much
I think you could make chief of operations or assistant director level within two year or less.
"One more thing..."

Stone.
Veteran Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:58 pm

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Stone. » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:30 pm

Columbo wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:45 am
Natashatoronto3654 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:35 am
Hi, I am starting my carrier at CBSA as FB-3, and wondering how likely i can get job later on as FB-6 or FB-7? What will be needed for that how how long it might take me? Thank you so much
I think you could make chief of operations or assistant director level within two year or less.
Doubt it, you'd be lucky to make the superintendent inventory in two years or less.

Racer_2
Veteran Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:54 pm

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Racer_2 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:24 pm

I don't know the agency's policy on second/side job. Is it allowed and if so if there alot of officers with one? I always wanted to go into real estate part time in the past and would l would be happy to be able to.
QC Applicant CBSA
Applied - Jan 15th 2018
SLE - Done already
GTC2 & WCPT - Feb 18
PARE - April 18
Interview - May 18
Sec. Forms - May 18
Psych - May 18
Medical - June 18
Sec. Int - November 18
OITP - February 18th 2019
Rigaud 13D - April 8th 2019

User avatar
Columbo
King Poobah
Posts: 1857
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:38 pm
Location: Barney's Beanery

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Columbo » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:26 pm

I was being facetious.
"One more thing..."

Borderwatchman
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1218
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:54 am

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Borderwatchman » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:36 pm

Racer_2 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:24 pm
I don't know the agency's policy on second/side job. Is it allowed and if so if there alot of officers with one? I always wanted to go into real estate part time in the past and would l would be happy to be able to.
They are allowed so long as it doesn't pose a conflict of interest.

Latch527
Veteran Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:55 pm

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Latch527 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:48 pm

Racer_2 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:24 pm
I don't know the agency's policy on second/side job. Is it allowed and if so if there alot of officers with one? I always wanted to go into real estate part time in the past and would l would be happy to be able to.
As long as it does not interfere with your duties, and is not in conflict with the values or code of conduct you should be okay. However, be aware of any possible conflicts of interest that may arise and it is best to speak to your supervisor before starting another job to be on the safe side. (IMO)
Applied: 10/2016
PARE: 03/2017 & 03/2018
Interview: 06/2017
Exam: 02/2017
Security: 07/2018
Integrity Interview: 06/2018
Medical: 12/2017 08/2018
OITP: 12/2018
Riguard: 02/2019

kungfucious0_0
Rookie Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:40 am

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby kungfucious0_0 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:40 pm

Borderwatchman wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:31 am

There is a whole shitload of things that make us look unprofessional. Boots are very low on the list. I can name a few: disgustingly fat and sweaty officers; wannabe losers acting like Rambo and berating travelers because they can't speak English; fat female officers ripping into pretty female travelers with money because they remind them of how much their lives suck; walking around with half your ass hanging out of your pants; treating people like shit because they do something you don't like, even though it's legal (this slob I had the unfortunate luck of working with would rip into hunters because she was a fat vegetarian. It was embarrassing).....these may sound cliché and stereotypical...but it's true. The boots are the least of your worries.
wow. thnx for the insight. i know its impossible to completely stamp out individual biases from any job, but i was (foolishily) hoping these kind of things did not exist inside. on the whole, how many officers (%) do you think behave like this?

borderwatchman: you are pretty quick with replies and often provide good information. thnx.
Pacific Region

Latch527
Veteran Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:55 pm

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Latch527 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:19 pm

Borderwatchman wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:31 am

There is a whole shitload of things that make us look unprofessional. Boots are very low on the list. I can name a few: disgustingly fat and sweaty officers; wannabe losers acting like Rambo and berating travelers because they can't speak English; fat female officers ripping into pretty female travelers with money because they remind them of how much their lives suck; walking around with half your ass hanging out of your pants; treating people like shit because they do something you don't like, even though it's legal (this slob I had the unfortunate luck of working with would rip into hunters because she was a fat vegetarian. It was embarrassing).....these may sound cliché and stereotypical...but it's true. The boots are the least of your worries.
Why so negative all the time? I do not think that the other comments are helpful to hopeful applicants, recruits, or your coworkers. Perhaps those comments are best kept off a public forum.

I don't mean to start any drama or anything, that is the last thing I want on here, I just don't feel that the negativity doesn't help.
Applied: 10/2016
PARE: 03/2017 & 03/2018
Interview: 06/2017
Exam: 02/2017
Security: 07/2018
Integrity Interview: 06/2018
Medical: 12/2017 08/2018
OITP: 12/2018
Riguard: 02/2019

CanadianQuackers
Rookie Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 8:31 am

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby CanadianQuackers » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:37 pm

Latch527 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:19 pm
Borderwatchman wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:31 am

There is a whole shitload of things that make us look unprofessional. Boots are very low on the list. I can name a few: disgustingly fat and sweaty officers; wannabe losers acting like Rambo and berating travelers because they can't speak English; fat female officers ripping into pretty female travelers with money because they remind them of how much their lives suck; walking around with half your ass hanging out of your pants; treating people like shit because they do something you don't like, even though it's legal (this slob I had the unfortunate luck of working with would rip into hunters because she was a fat vegetarian. It was embarrassing).....these may sound cliché and stereotypical...but it's true. The boots are the least of your worries.
Why so negative all the time? I do not think that the other comments are helpful to hopeful applicants, recruits, or your coworkers. Perhaps those comments are best kept off a public forum.

I don't mean to start any drama or anything, that is the last thing I want on here, I just don't feel that the negativity doesn't help.
I don't think it's negativity but rather a reality that most don't like to admit or discuss, let alone so bluntly. There is plenty of literature on the attitudes that come from people within the public safety sector, many of which have been highlighted above. You can see it with the American Armed Forces the most, but it's not exclusive to that institution. Personally, I value hearing something like this, especially being on the critical end of the spectrum when it comes to security and surveillance practices, which CBSA and other law enforcement agencies fall under.

I read it more as people should make sure they're not falling into one of those categories before they start worrying about how they look in the uniform. Once again, it's blunt but refreshing considering most of this kind of criticism comes at the expense of hopeful applicants on here and not people in uniform already.

Natashatoronto3654
Rookie Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:21 am

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Natashatoronto3654 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:11 pm

:)
Last edited by Natashatoronto3654 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests