Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Ulcaster555

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Ulcaster555 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:39 pm

t-oss-the_n-am_e wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:38 am
Hey bit of background,

I am a Canadian armed forces member looking for a change in career. I recently applied to the CBSA by speaking with someone in the HRA department..... Anyways my question is how do people plan to afford not being payed while going through training. I'm sure I will figure out how to cover my bills during that time but I'm looking to see what other people have done?

Also I was reading through a lot of the post on here and notice it is taking well over 12 months plus for people to get in. Do you think where I already hold a secret security clearance it will be a bit faster?

Thanks
It probably will be shorter, but you still have to go through your integrity interview, a couple of months for just that part.
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.

WSM109
Rookie Member

Postby WSM109 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:48 pm

I am also a former member of the Navy with Top Secret clearance. Even with the approved and current security classification I have, CBSA is a separate entity, or so it seems. Hard to believe that the 2 federal departments can talk to one another to put a check in the box for my security clearance. I was told it still has to go through the process.
Best of luck with your application.
S.M.
Halifax applicant
Applied: Jan 2019 ☑️
OTEE: Feb 2019☑️
Interview: May 2019☑️
CFSC/CRFSC: Jun 2019☑️
Psyc: Aug 2019☑️
Medical: Feb 2020 ☑️
Sec Paper: Dec 2019☑️
Sec Clearance: Feb 2020 ☑️
Pare: Jan 2020 ☑️
OITP: TBD

Ulcaster555

Postby Ulcaster555 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:59 pm

WSM109 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:48 pm
I am also a former member of the Navy with Top Secret clearance. Even with the approved and current security classification I have, CBSA is a separate entity, or so it seems. Hard to believe that the 2 federal departments can talk to one another to put a check in the box for my security clearance. I was told it still has to go through the process.
Best of luck with your application.
Security clearances are now accepted at par, however it doesn't change the fact that you have to do the security part, which consist of: Credit, CBSA database, LERC, finger prints checks and others plus the integrity interview, that one is the last step before you are confirmed to have a CBSA security clearance and good to go in the CBSA pool.
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.

A North

Postby A North » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:42 pm

mendoza68 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:05 pm
I see that there is a three week gap between the end of online and the intake date. Does anything happen during that time that requires my physical presence or would I be able to visit my family abroad for a week or two. In guessing I could also maybe go during the online since it's all digital?
If you leave during digital, ensure you'll be able to log in while off of Canadian soil first; it would definitely suck to not know that.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

attiexlol
Rookie Member

Postby attiexlol » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:42 pm

I have been screened out in 2018/08 in my psych evaluation. It's almost the 2 year mark so I am starting to look into and prepare myself for the process again.

I have a bachelor's degree and my gun certification so I can guess that I will skip those steps.

I would need to redo my pare. I'm wondering g if there is anyone who has gone through a similar situation, would CBSA recruiting restart the process from my psych evaluation? Or would I need to redo my interview?

I'm not asking on a timeline of the application but I haven't seen a posting under jobs.gc.ca for a while. From experience in the past, when can I expect the next job posting to be posted?

Thanks for your input.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:47 pm

attiexlol wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:42 pm
I have been screened out in 2018/08 in my psych evaluation. It's almost the 2 year mark so I am starting to look into and prepare myself for the process again.

I have a bachelor's degree and my gun certification so I can guess that I will skip those steps.

I would need to redo my pare. I'm wondering g if there is anyone who has gone through a similar situation, would CBSA recruiting restart the process from my psych evaluation? Or would I need to redo my interview?

I'm not asking on a timeline of the application but I haven't seen a posting under jobs.gc.ca for a while. From experience in the past, when can I expect the next job posting to be posted?

Thanks for your input.
Have you tried this form : https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/job-emploi/ ... n-eng.html ?

Or email HR at the email address from your initial application and ask them directly. I can't think of a better source of info about your case.

attiexlol
Rookie Member

Postby attiexlol » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:35 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:47 pm
attiexlol wrote:

Thanks for your input.
Have you tried this form : https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/job-emploi/ ... n-eng.html ?

Or email HR at the email address from your initial application and ask them directly. I can't think of a better source of info about your case.
Yes, I tried. All they told me is that I would have to apply when a posting is up and then they will contact me.

I'm hoping if there are people in a similar situation with their experiences.

A North

Postby A North » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:52 pm

attiexlol wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:35 pm
IronWolf wrote:
attiexlol wrote:

Thanks for your input.

Yes, I tried. All they told me is that I would have to apply when a posting is up and then they will contact me.

I got bounced arbitrarily from my process due to "not having an unrestricted driver's licence" which was never a requirement when I first applied. I literally got my unrestricted licence a couple weeks ago and yet they still wouldn't hear it and told me I'm done and need to apply again whenever the mythical application process opens up again...fourteen months wasted.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD

Jumb34t

Postby Jumb34t » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:00 am

attiexlol wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:35 pm
IronWolf wrote:
attiexlol wrote:

Thanks for your input.

They haven't had a job posting since last spring I think. They should be opening one up soon though with all these candidates going to/about to go to college, opening up space on their pool of candidates. Also I believe you'd have to redo your interview and, unless having a bachelor exempts you from doing so, have to do your OTEE.
CBSA Applicant - GTA
Applied: Sep/18
OTEE: Oct/18 77.5%
Interview: Apr/19
PARE: Aug/19
Psych Eval: Oct/19
Psych Interview: Nov/19
Sec Doc sent: Jan/20
CFSC & CRFSC: Mar/20
Med Eval: May/20
Sec Interview & Clearance: July/20
OITP: TBD

DanieltheCylon
Rookie Member

Postby DanieltheCylon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:27 pm

Hey guys!

New to the forum and was wondering about a few things about the CBSA application process. Let me apologize before hand if I ask something that shouldn't. I'm not looking for specifics, but just general idea what to expect and how this process differs compared to a corporation.

1. I've heard someone say: "Either you get in or you don't. Nothing can prepare you for it." in regards to the CBSA application process. How true would you say this is? I understand that certain things, the physical test for example, can be trained for, but what about the rest? Do you agree with the statement? Would your advice to someone be just to exercise and nothing else?

2. Are the interview questions standardized? Does everyone get asked the same things?

3. With a lot of places I've interviewed with, I've had to go through the whole STARS behavioural questions. At least 30 of "name one time" this, "and give us an example" that. Can I expect the same thing with CBSA? Do I need to start writing scripts for 30 different scenarios?

4. The psych test has an interview part and a written test part. Without giving away anything confidential, do these test follow a model others use? Am I looking at ink blots? Am I getting polygraphed? Sensory deprivation chamber? Is this a even a section one can prep for?

5. I read somewhere to look into "FB-02 trainee". Mentioned the information would be beneficial in an interview. Isn't that a status of an employee? Can someone tell me if and why this is important?

6. I noticed a credit check in the security clearance section. Other than checking application for vulnerabilities, does CBSA care if an application has bad or no credit? Can someone even be legally denied a job because of a bad credit?

7. Another advice I found was to study the "competencies", which I think they received via an email. Is that something everyone is privy to?

8. Is the bachelor except for the OTEE an actual thing? For any bachelors degree, or the ones they have listed like policing and criminology?

Like many here, I'm just stewing in anticipation and suspense, waiting for who knows what's to come. All these questions going through my head. Thanks for the help!

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:40 pm

DanieltheCylon wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:27 pm
Hey guys!

New to the forum and was wondering about a few things about the CBSA application process. Let me apologize before hand if I ask something that shouldn't. I'm not looking for specifics, but just general idea what to expect and how this process differs compared to a corporation.

1. I've heard someone say: "Either you get in or you don't. Nothing can prepare you for it." in regards to the CBSA application process. How true would you say this is? I understand that certain things, the physical test for example, can be trained for, but what about the rest? Do you agree with the statement? Would your advice to someone be just to exercise and nothing else?

2. Are the interview questions standardized? Does everyone get asked the same things?

3. With a lot of places I've interviewed with, I've had to go through the whole STARS behavioural questions. At least 30 of "name one time" this, "and give us an example" that. Can I expect the same thing with CBSA? Do I need to start writing scripts for 30 different scenarios?

4. The psych test has an interview part and a written test part. Without giving away anything confidential, do these test follow a model others use? Am I looking at ink blots? Am I getting polygraphed? Sensory deprivation chamber? Is this a even a section one can prep for?

5. I read somewhere to look into "FB-02 trainee". Mentioned the information would be beneficial in an interview. Isn't that a status of an employee? Can someone tell me if and why this is important?

6. I noticed a credit check in the security clearance section. Other than checking application for vulnerabilities, does CBSA care if an application has bad or no credit? Can someone even be legally denied a job because of a bad credit?

7. Another advice I found was to study the "competencies", which I think they received via an email. Is that something everyone is privy to?

8. Is the bachelor except for the OTEE an actual thing? For any bachelors degree, or the ones they have listed like policing and criminology?

Like many here, I'm just stewing in anticipation and suspense, waiting for who knows what's to come. All these questions going through my head. Thanks for the help!
It is not clear if you already applied or you just plan to ?

Here's my view on your questions :

1. You can prepare for anything if you have enough information, but that would be cheating in some cases. Whatever you have to prepare for in this process, the email will tell you how to prepare.

2. Follow the email that goes with the interview invite, it has all the info you need to prepare.

3. Not as you describe it. No need to prepare any scripts of scenarios.

4. All is included in the email, pretty straight forward, both the written part and the 1:1 interview with the Psych. Nothing really to prepare there.

5. FB-02 is what any recruit becomes when they graduate Rigaud training centre. After 12-18 months as FB-02, if the trainee performs as expected, becomes full BSO - FB-03.

6. Credit check is part of the Secret clearance checks. https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/esc-src/p ... t-eng.html

7. It's all in the email with reference links : https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agen ... e-eng.html

8. No exceptions for OTEE at 2019 process, no idea if the new process will be different. I personally hope not and I prefer everyone to be tested, regardless of their diploma.

Hope that helps

One thing to add : take the time to Read the forums related to CBSA here, and read the CBSA website, there's lots of information there. Google is also a very helpful source ;)

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:46 am

DanieltheCylon wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:27 pm
Everything else has been answered several times on this and many other feeds. Part of being in Law enforcement and specifically CBSA is being able to research and find answers to questions. Employ that here as "practice". Your concerns are not unique, as most people have all the same concerns during an application process.

To the quoted point. A person's suitability for a job is determined by several factors. If someone has bad or non-existent credit, they may be asked to explain the situation surrounding that, or they may not. All LE Agencies look at Credit. As do most renters. As do most dealerships, etc. You get my point. It's not that they're saying, "Person A has bad credit, therefore disqualified". It's more along the lines of, "Person A has bad credit, that shows us that they have a hard time being responsible for paying even the minimum balance, as well, they have most likely an impulsive spending problem, or they are in a truly dire financial situation, which the strain of 4-6 months away from income wouldn't help. For those reasons and more (because they will already have a sense about people at this point through interviews/answers to questions), Person A is disqualified."

Plain and Simple... Present yourself in the most positive and competitive light you can and you will be an attractive candidate. Don't take care of your personal responsibilities/come off as not being responsible you will be quickly shown the door in the form of "needing more life experience".

For specifics on the process, anyone who tells you anything on here that isn't a BSO is speculating at best. Anyone who is a BSO probably won't disclose protected information (ie What's in the interview and specifics of a security clearance). If you want answers, contact recruiting and they'll give you a very generic response, but that will most likely be in line with what's said here from dependable sources. Live your life, apply and find out what happens.
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#2 - Nov 16, 2020-May 17, 2021

Bswain
Rookie Member

Postby Bswain » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:02 pm

Can anyone tell me how far into your training at Rigaud you will be told where you will be posted?
is it earlier in the program? or towards the end?

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:42 pm

Bswain wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:02 pm
Can anyone tell me how far into your training at Rigaud you will be told where you will be posted?
is it earlier in the program? or towards the end?
I believe it is around week 8

37% of the Trainees were unhappy with their posting location, which should ring a bell to CBSA that these people say they don't mind being posted anywhere, but in fact they do, and just hope to get POE close to home.

Why CBSA insists on fully mobile workforce when the intent of the OIM is to permanently place the BSOs at specific POE ? Why not match the POE with applicants that prefer to be posted there and assure all employees are happy and engaged ?

"While the intent of OIM is to permanently place officers at POEs that had identified a need for additional frontline resources, the continued prevalence of requests for transfer out of those POEs could indicate that the ideal placement model has not been found."

37% of the interviewed trainees were not happy with the assigned POE ... that's a large number of dissatisfied people working as BSO.

"Although respondents indicated a 63% overall satisfaction rate with the location of their placement, 48% indicated they were dissatisfied with the placement process itself. Evidence gathered in group interviews of Officer Trainees and BSOs found that participants experienced frustration with the placement process that was regarded by some as unfair, illogical or inconsiderate of personal circumstances of Recruits. For instance, while some cohorts received a list of highly sought-after locations, other cohorts placed only a few weeks later received a list with a high number of small and remote locations. This has resulted in some Recruits being satisfied with their placement location, while others completely dissatisfied. Evidence collected through the OIM Evaluation Trainee Survey, as well as through interviews suggested that those dissatisfied with their placement have experienced significant negative personal impacts and expressed a desire to apply for a transfer immediately after their appointment to FB-03."

"The national poster currently targets individuals who are willing to move anywhere in Canada (to fulfill the Agency’s desire for a fully-mobile force) and who are financially able to live four and half months on an allowance of $125 per week. This may be unintentionally deterring other highly qualified applicants from applying since not all individuals want to or are able to relocate anywhere in Canada, and not everyone’s financial situation would allow them to live four months without a salary. "

"In terms of the mobility clause, one example that illustrates it is a deterrent to potential applicants is to look at the level of interest of the student BSO population in pursuing a career with the CBSA. Student BSOs have direct experience and exposure to processing travellers for the CBSA, but some do not apply to become full-time BSOs because of the requirement to accept a position anywhere in Canada, even when there are positions available close to their home region. The Pacific Region conducted a survey of student BSOs and found that 85% of students would be interested in a fast-tracking program to become full-time BSOs, but 46% stated that they would not be interested unless they could remain in their home region. Survey respondents and interviewees cited the negative impacts that would result from moving away from their home region as the reason applicants may hesitate to apply to the CBSA. Impacts, such as, lack of support networks, lack of cultural connections, strain on family and relationships, isolation, and loneliness were mentioned."

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:33 pm

Yes, there are changes to be made, but the issue is that CBSA must staff all POEs, not just the popular ones or the POEs near a major city. If they gave every new officer their full choice, some POEs would remain understaffed, and the experienced officers who had been working there for years and hoping for a transfer, would not be happy.

There is no easy solution. But the fact remains:

If you are not willing to go anywhere in Canada and do what they tell you to do, do NOT apply to CBSA. Period. Don't waste their time (or yours.)