Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Zedlinka

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Zedlinka » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:47 pm

A North wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:11 pm
cbmcmsa wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:30 pm
A North wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:24 pm

Thankfully writing is my strong suit! And by the sounds of it FB-02 is mostly essays which means there should be decent time to complete each. Are any of you able to say what they're based on? If I get in would I be basically doing a uni course of research/theory essays or would I be writing on actual observations and interactions at my PoE?

Also, I've been in the process for almost a year already and am still waiting on the interview...based on this timeline do you think I'll get in by this time next year-ish? Or am I Iooking at much longer than 2 years for my application period?
While an FB-02 you do the exact same job as an FB-03, depending on the port different responsibilities or roles might be assigned. You aren't just writing essays... you have to write essays to prove you've met competencies with examples signed off by sups. So on top of the reports you have to write for any thing you do/actual work you have to do, most people have a hell of a time making time for their competencies.

I applied to Bridge over almost a year to the day ago. My security clearance is taking as long as most regular people's do, so no one can say how long it'll be. Just keep living your life and hoping for the best.
Thanks for the advice!
Definitely not just writing essays. There are a few competencies you have to meet and you do a write up for each. The "essays" people are speaking of are just answering about five questions. Your answer lengths really depend on how detailed you are. I've seen people get too wordy and go at 2 pages for one question, and I've seen people answer the damn question in two sentences and be perfectly fine. These aren't your typical end-of-year essays. They're basically extended questionaires. And depending where you are in the country will determine your experience as an FB-02. In some regions, after a few weeks you're essentially thrown in to do your thing. You learned it in Rigaud, and after a few weeks to get the bugs and jitters out of ya, you'll be fine to do the basics of the job. When something comes up- ask questions. Now, in other parts of the country FB-02s are carefully guided day in and day out to the end of their FB-02 time. I have plenty of time to do my competencies... but keeping in mind there's only a handful of them, and you only need one example for each... It is not really time consuming. As an FB-02 I am doing the exact same job as an FB-03, which is why the union is fighting for an end of the FB-02. I am expected to respond the same way as an officer, while being called an Officer "trainee"
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

"Take your job seriously, but not yourself"

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:55 pm

Zedlinka wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:47 pm
A North wrote:
cbmcmsa wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:30 pm

While an FB-02 you do the exact same job as an FB-03, depending on the port different responsibilities or roles might be assigned. You aren't just writing essays... you have to write essays to prove you've met competencies with examples signed off by sups. So on top of the reports you have to write for any thing you do/actual work you have to do, most people have a hell of a time making time for their competencies.

I applied to Bridge over almost a year to the day ago. My security clearance is taking as long as most regular people's do, so no one can say how long it'll be. Just keep living your life and hoping for the best.
Thanks for the advice!
Definitely not just writing essays. There are a few competencies you have to meet and you do a write up for each. The "essays" people are speaking of are just answering about five questions. Your answer lengths really depend on how detailed you are. I've seen people get too wordy and go at 2 pages for one question, and I've seen people answer the damn question in two sentences and be perfectly fine. These aren't your typical end-of-year essays. They're basically extended questionaires. And depending where you are in the country will determine your experience as an FB-02. In some regions, after a few weeks you're essentially thrown in to do your thing. You learned it in Rigaud, and after a few weeks to get the bugs and jitters out of ya, you'll be fine to do the basics of the job. When something comes up- ask questions. Now, in other parts of the country FB-02s are carefully guided day in and day out to the end of their FB-02 time. I have plenty of time to do my competencies... but keeping in mind there's only a handful of them, and you only need one example for each... It is not really time consuming. As an FB-02 I am doing the exact same job as an FB-03, which is why the union is fighting for an end of the FB-02. I am expected to respond the same way as an officer, while being called an Officer "trainee"
Mainly time management with writing them I think. A lot of FB-02s I've worked with waited until the end and had to rush. Depending where you are different times of year are slower/busier and some people decided to wait until the busy times to try and write. LOL
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#2 - Nov 16, 2020-May 17, 2021

Zedlinka

Postby Zedlinka » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:57 pm

cbmcmsa wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:55 pm
Zedlinka wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:47 pm
A North wrote:

Thanks for the advice!

Mainly time management with writing them I think. A lot of FB-02s I've worked with waited until the end and had to rush. Depending where you are different times of year are slower/busier and some people decided to wait until the busy times to try and write. LOL

People do make that mistake. I had good examples for two of my competencies in my first week. I immediately wrote them up. I go back and re-visit every month to double check spelling, grammar, flow, etc. 100% relates to time management. If you wait a year, you lose sight over what you're trying to accomplish. Especially if you've waited a year to look at the competency descriptions.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO

"Take your job seriously, but not yourself"

deeps
Rookie Member

Postby deeps » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:01 pm

Anyone working at Hamilton Airport? If so, can you comment on what work conditions are like at the airport and the types of tasks you most commonly do? Any overlap between traveller and commercial operations? Thank you.

Stone.
Rookie Member

Postby Stone. » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:39 am

deeps wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:01 pm
Anyone working at Hamilton Airport? If so, can you comment on what work conditions are like at the airport and the types of tasks you most commonly do? Any overlap between traveller and commercial operations? Thank you.
Do you like answering phones?

djsamphard
Rookie Member

Postby djsamphard » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:35 pm

Any idea when CBSA will be hiring again?
CRFSC & CFSC: June 04/05, 2013
Standard First Aid: June 20/21, 2013
WCPT/GCT2: Feb 27, 2014

Kharlvp
Rookie Member

Postby Kharlvp » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:41 am

djsamphard wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:35 pm
Any idea when CBSA will be hiring again?
They got recruiting events all over Canada. But online process will be around April or so.

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:26 am

Stone. wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:39 am
deeps wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:01 pm
Do you like answering phones?
Hello, Bonjour, Hamilton TRC
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#2 - Nov 16, 2020-May 17, 2021

Khusk11
Rookie Member

Postby Khusk11 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:49 am

Hi Guys,

So I applied for a position with the CBSA I’d say about a year ago. Give or take. And I just received an email with the date/time and location of my interview. Which is great but I just have a few questions on some thing’s I’m a little nervous about before going into my interview.

1.) Do I need to have had completed the P.A.R.E test BEFORE my interview? Or do they grade me themselves later down the road? I have not been told if I need to or not and the website doesn’t say when it needs to be completed. I don’t want my interview set back or rescinded because I didn’t know.

2.) Last year I applied for a bilingual position thinking it would open more doors for me as an applicant. And having taken French immersion since grade 7 I thought why not right?
Well now I’m sitting here thinking how long it’s been since I’ve actually used my French and worried it will actually be more of a disadvantage to me for applying for any position with the CBSA without being 100% fluent in the language. Will they still consider me for a position if my French is not up to snuff? Whether it’s bilingual or not I just want to get my foot in the door with the CBSA. I’m definitely willing to improve it I just don’t think I’d be able to have a bilingual position yet.

Ulcaster555

Postby Ulcaster555 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:06 am

Khusk11 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:49 am
Hi Guys,

So I applied for a position with the CBSA I’d say about a year ago. Give or take. And I just received an email with the date/time and location of my interview. Which is great but I just have a few questions on some thing’s I’m a little nervous about before going into my interview.

1.) Do I need to have had completed the P.A.R.E test BEFORE my interview? Or do they grade me themselves later down the road? I have not been told if I need to or not and the website doesn’t say when it needs to be completed. I don’t want my interview set back or rescinded because I didn’t know.

2.) Last year I applied for a bilingual position thinking it would open more doors for me as an applicant. And having taken French immersion since grade 7 I thought why not right?
Well now I’m sitting here thinking how long it’s been since I’ve actually used my French and worried it will actually be more of a disadvantage to me for applying for any position with the CBSA without being 100% fluent in the language. Will they still consider me for a position if my French is not up to snuff? Whether it’s bilingual or not I just want to get my foot in the door with the CBSA. I’m definitely willing to improve it I just don’t think I’d be able to have a bilingual position yet.
All pre-requisites should be done prior to your integrity interview. If you don't, and get the go for your security clearance, everything will be put on hold until all pre-requisites are done. It really slows everything if you don't.

As for bilingual positions these are the ports that require them:
https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board ... poses.html
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.

Jumb34t

Postby Jumb34t » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:58 am

Khusk11 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:49 am
Hi Guys,

If you are talking about the initial interview, there should be a list of what you need to bring on the email that you got from CBSA. PARE can be done anytime as long as it is before you get invited for the OITP. It is not required for the interview.

I remember someone mentioning that if you fail your SLE portion, you will still be eligible for the English only position. Not too sure if this is true or if it is still the case today. In my case though, I applied for bilingual position but realized after my initial interview that bilingual is for English & French only (I can speak English, Filipino, and a little bit Japanese). I sent them an email about my mistake and they just transferred my application to the English only group
CBSA Applicant - GTA
Applied: Sep/18
OTEE: Oct/18 77.5%
Interview: Apr/19
PARE: Aug/19
Psych Eval: Oct/19
Psych Interview: Nov/19
Sec Doc sent: Jan/20
CFSC & CRFSC: Mar/20
Med Eval: May/20
Sec Interview & Clearance: July/20
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

AMZ1418
Rookie Member

Postby AMZ1418 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:39 pm

How long does it usually take to get invited for the psychological test/ application process for security clearance after the interview??

I had my interview in September and passed it without a hitch. However it’s been sometime since I heard anything following that.
I’m from the hiring process just prior to the test based one (applied in 2017). Took a bit of time just for the interview, just want to gauge how long it could before the next few steps of the process.

Ulcaster555

Postby Ulcaster555 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:07 pm

AMZ1418 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:39 pm
How long does it usually take to get invited for the psychological test/ application process for security clearance after the interview??

I had my interview in September and passed it without a hitch. However it’s been sometime since I heard anything following that.
I’m from the hiring process just prior to the test based one (applied in 2017). Took a bit of time just for the interview, just want to gauge how long it could before the next few steps of the process.
Its not clear what interview you are talking about, if you are the point of the integrity interview, every pre-requisite should have been done by now. If nothing has moved in a few months, contact recruitment.
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.

AMZ1418
Rookie Member

Postby AMZ1418 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:38 pm

Ulcaster555 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:07 pm
AMZ1418 wrote:

Its not clear what interview you are talking about, if you are the point of the integrity interview, every pre-requisite should have been done by now. If nothing has moved in a few months, contact recruitment.
the interview that's administered to evaluate the following competencies:

dealing with difficult situations
decisiveness
effective interactive communication
judgment
personal integrity
values and ethics

I received my results saying I satisfied each component, and I have supplied all my prerequisite documents.

Just trying to gauge how long other people wait following the interview to do the psych eval, medical, and begin the process of obtaining the secret security clearance.

A North

Postby A North » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:43 pm

AMZ1418 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:38 pm
Ulcaster555 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:07 pm
AMZ1418 wrote:

the interview that's administered to evaluate the following competencies:

dealing with difficult situations
decisiveness
effective interactive communication
judgment
personal integrity
values and ethics

I received my results saying I satisfied each component, and I have supplied all my prerequisite documents.

Just trying to gauge how long other people wait following the interview to do the psych eval, medical, and begin the process of obtaining the secret security clearance.
To sum up and average the experience of other users on here, I'd say be prepared to wait a while, and be prepared to travel on your dollar for a lot of those steps.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD