Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Campin16
Rookie Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Campin16 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:58 pm

CanadianQuackers wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:19 pm
Campin16 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:17 pm
Hi... I have the interview coming up and apparently part of that is selecting desired work locations, so I was wondering if anyone has a list of the districts that they mention in the email?

I wouldn't mind doing a little research on that just to see what looks good, as I'm willing to move out of province as one of my desired locations, but don't want to just select blindly. I've noticed that the map on the CBSA website allows you to search by a good amount of criteria (highway/land border, airports, etc.) but not by district.... So for example is the "GTA" considered it's own district? I want to know this or do you select a more narrow focus like "Windsor" or "Niagara"?

Thank you
They don't give you a list in the interview, it's merely signing off on the fact that while you will be given an option to select desired postings you are willing to be posted anywhere in Canada.
Ok.. thank you... Guess I misread that part. I thought I was both, they'd make you sign off and ask you're desired locations...
CBSA
Applied: July 2018
OTEE: October 20th 2018
OTEE Results: October 31st (pass 77%)
Interview: June 19th 2019
Interview Results: July 2nd (pass)

nick921
Rookie Member

Postby nick921 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:02 pm

Hey guys, to anyone who didn't pass the interview. Were you able to reapply for the next selection process? I failed one part of the interview... T

Thanks

Jumb34t

Postby Jumb34t » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:04 pm

nick921 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:02 pm
Hey guys, to anyone who didn't pass the interview. Were you able to reapply for the next selection process? I failed one part of the interview... T

Thanks
There's no wait time if you fail the interview. So you can apply right away whenever the applications are open.
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Sept 28/2018
OTEE: Oct 16/2018
OTEE Result: Oct 31/2018 Pass 77.5%
Interview: April 26/2019 Pass
PARE: Aug 16/2019 Pass
Psych: TBD

nick921
Rookie Member

Postby nick921 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:59 pm

Jumb34t wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:04 pm
nick921 wrote:

Thanks
There's no wait time if you fail the interview. So you can apply right away whenever the applications are open.

Thanks :) hope that I will pass the next time. If you are able to help, I need some help defining the personal integrity part.

Jumb34t

Postby Jumb34t » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:15 pm

nick921 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:59 pm
Jumb34t wrote:
nick921 wrote:

Thanks

Thanks :) hope that I will pass the next time. If you are able to help, I need some help defining the personal integrity part.
I see it as having great personal values and act according to it. i.e not succumbing to peer pressure if your friends are being a naughty bunch and you don't agree to what they're doing. Just be honest with yourself.

Or I could be wrong, lol. Good luck :)
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Sept 28/2018
OTEE: Oct 16/2018
OTEE Result: Oct 31/2018 Pass 77.5%
Interview: April 26/2019 Pass
PARE: Aug 16/2019 Pass
Psych: TBD

nick921
Rookie Member

Postby nick921 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:42 pm

Jumb34t wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:15 pm
nick921 wrote:
Jumb34t wrote:

I see it as having great personal values and act according to it. i.e not succumbing to peer pressure if your friends are being a naughty bunch and you don't agree to what they're doing. Just be honest with yourself.

Or I could be wrong, lol. Good luck :)

Hmmm I thought I did good on that part. But anyways thanks!

melom
Sage Member

Postby melom » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:14 pm

Squadcar wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:57 am
Hi again, all. As some of you have indicated in the past, Beaver Creek YK is prone to hurting for officers. I happen to be in a position where I'm looking to go somewhere extreme for a couple of years (with the hopes of eventually returning to my home city on the total opposite side of Canada). As such, I'm hoping to get in touch with someone who has worked in Beaver Creek to answer a couple random questions of mine.

First question, are there typically openings for Beaver Creek in every class? I'm of course open to going anywhere but I'd like to think that I have a pretty good chance of taking this bullet for someone.

Secondly, if posted to Beaver Creek, is housing provided by the agency? If not, how difficult to acquire/expensive is housing?

Last but not least, is it difficult to get out of there on a transfer once your time is up? I'd be hoping to get back to St. John's NL if at all possible so I know I'd likely have to wait for a spot to open up and for my turn to take such spot. Bonus points if anyone has worked in St. John's or knows anything about it!

I'm open to any other details anyone might have about this port and the intricacies surrounding it. If you'd prefer to answer via PM I'd be more than happy to chat with you there. I'm intrigued by the prospect of going from the most easterly point in Canada to the most westerly and hopefully dragging my poor girlfriend with me.

Thanks in advance.
First question, are there typically openings for Beaver Creek in every class?

No.

Secondly, if posted to Beaver Creek, is housing provided by the agency? If not, how difficult to acquire/expensive is housing?

There is housing.

Last but not least, is it difficult to get out of there on a transfer once your time is up?

Quite hard. Going to NL will be especially hard as afaik they don’t have much problem getting staff. Spousal out is probably many times quicker.

Borderwatchman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Borderwatchman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:26 pm

Campin16 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:17 pm
Hi... I have the interview coming up and apparently part of that is selecting desired work locations, so I was wondering if anyone has a list of the districts that they mention in the email?

I wouldn't mind doing a little research on that just to see what looks good, as I'm willing to move out of province as one of my desired locations, but don't want to just select blindly. I've noticed that the map on the CBSA website allows you to search by a good amount of criteria (highway/land border, airports, etc.) but not by district.... So for example is the "GTA" considered it's own district? I want to know this or do you select a more narrow focus like "Windsor" or "Niagara"?

Thank you
GTA is it's own district. Niagara and Windsor are part of Southern Ontario.

Borderwatchman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Borderwatchman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:29 pm

JoshG wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:01 am
Are there any benefits being employed as a BSO as an RCMP applicant? I’ve read in a post from years ago that you will receive your regular salary at depot. As I understand you would have to go through the process same as any new applicants but can you save time by already having a security clearance? Does seniority transfer?
The only thing that carries over is your pension. You get nothing more.

Borderwatchman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Borderwatchman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:33 pm

Stathakos wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:42 pm
CdnShield wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:03 pm
Regarding the assignment of work location of new hires....how much does CBSA try to accommodate the recruit's preferred locations?

Do most folks end up being sent to one of the locations they indicated they wanted to work at? Does anyone have experience of being sent somewhere they really did not want to go and how that played out?
They'll let you trade spots in Rigaud if both parties are interested. Thats about it for accommodation. Im from Toronto and was supposed to go to Northern B.c. but I traded with a classmate and ended up in SW Manitoba. Youd have to prove the CBSA has a duty to accommodate you with actual legislation that's in place. So far I'm not in my ideal place, but the staff and the working experience has not been bad at all. I'm just 2400km away from where I want to be :mrgreen:
Sucks to be you, arhidi!!! :mrgreen:

CanadianQuackers

Postby CanadianQuackers » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:10 pm

Stathakos wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:42 pm
CdnShield wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:03 pm
Regarding the assignment of work location of new hires....how much does CBSA try to accommodate the recruit's preferred locations?

Do most folks end up being sent to one of the locations they indicated they wanted to work at? Does anyone have experience of being sent somewhere they really did not want to go and how that played out?
They'll let you trade spots in Rigaud if both parties are interested. Thats about it for accommodation. Im from Toronto and was supposed to go to Northern B.c. but I traded with a classmate and ended up in SW Manitoba. Youd have to prove the CBSA has a duty to accommodate you with actual legislation that's in place. So far I'm not in my ideal place, but the staff and the working experience has not been bad at all. I'm just 2400km away from where I want to be :mrgreen:
Any idea what the postings looked like while you were in training, was there a pretty clear need in certain areas? I know it changes but I am just curious, I don't really have a preferred destination but would love to do some research.

JeanFrancois
Veteran Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:41 pm

nick921 wrote:
Jumb34t wrote:
nick921 wrote:

Thanks

I like to think you either have integrity or you do not; in the absence of not having I believe it would be possible to obtain but not without years of a proven track record. It's doing the right thing when nobody is watching; leading by example; not telling recruiters in the interview what you think they want to hear; speak from the heart and touch on ethics. Knowing who you are and what you believe even when you have to stand up for yourself against other people
CBSA:
App: 08-18
O.T.E.E: Sept 18
Interview: Jan 19
PAL: Jul 19
Psych: Sept 19
SLE:

cb681

Postby cb681 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:49 am

Does anyone currently working as a BSO know if its possible to transfer a private sector pension into the public service pension with the CBSA?

CanBr19

Postby CanBr19 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:34 pm

Last edited by CanBr19 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bectacular
Rookie Member

PARE

Postby bectacular » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Hi all! First time poster, long time lurker. I received an email this morning notifying me that I was successful in my interview, so now it's PARE time. I think I am ready to do it but I live in Newfoundland and there are no testing centres on the entire island. I'm not sure what to do besides bite the bullet and buy a plane ticket. Has anyone else been in this boat?

I'm also wondering how quickly I need to figure it out. Will the other portions of the application continue or is it all halted until I get my PARE results? Of course I want to do it ASAP but I'll need a bit of time to get it all sorted.