Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
dana6
Rookie Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby dana6 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:41 am

seekerbeta wrote:
dana6 wrote:
Vitulla wrote:After my medical, Doctor said everything looks good. Gonna wait for an official answer though.
Also I think they book your flight for you as they have a bus that brings you from the airport to Rigaud and I'm sure they try to get as students around the same time( ~30-45mins drive depending on traffic)

I have a question - Do you have to fly in? I'd like to drive so I can use my car to come home on weekends. Is that an option?

anything over 600Kms you have to fly, they pick you up at the airport and take you to rigaud.

Hmmm, I guess my question was a bit ambiguous. Lets say I'm nore than 600kms from Rigaud, but I still want ti take my car, would I be allowed to do that. I want the option to be able to drive to see my family and dont want to be stuck without a car. My family would likely drive to meet me so we'd meet half way. Is that possible? And how many other people have done this? Or do you just expect not to see your family for 4 months?

Ramblinon28
Rookie Member

Postby Ramblinon28 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:31 am

anything over 600Kms you have to fly, they pick you up at the airport and take you to rigaud.[/quote]

Hmmm, I guess my question was a bit ambiguous. Lets say I'm nore than 600kms from Rigaud, but I still want ti take my car, would I be allowed to do that. I want the option to be able to drive to see my family and dont want to be stuck without a car. My family would likely drive to meet me so we'd meet half way. Is that possible? And how many other people have done this? Or do you just expect not to see your family for 4 months?[/quote]

I'm 615kms away and I heard I will be expected to fly. So, I will fly but have my car driven up for me. That way I still have my vehicle while at riguad. I have heard of others doing this so I am assuming that's OK.

Vitulla
Rookie Member

Postby Vitulla » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:36 am

Ramblinon28 wrote:anything over 600Kms you have to fly, they pick you up at the airport and take you to rigaud.

Hmmm, I guess my question was a bit ambiguous. Lets say I'm nore than 600kms from Rigaud, but I still want ti take my car, would I be allowed to do that. I want the option to be able to drive to see my family and dont want to be stuck without a car. My family would likely drive to meet me so we'd meet half way. Is that possible? And how many other people have done this? Or do you just expect not to see your family for 4 months?[/quote]

I'm 615kms away and I heard I will be expected to fly. So, I will fly but have my car driven up for me. That way I still have my vehicle while at riguad. I have heard of others doing this so I am assuming that's OK.[/quote]

There are 2 parking lots for students, but there is also a discount rental car not too far, maybe renting a car twice or three time during your stay would be cheaper? I noticed a lot of the cars did not move, I've been to Rigaud twice for different exams and clearly a lot of the cars did not move as there was still snow and ice on them.

Ramblinon28
Rookie Member

Postby Ramblinon28 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:45 am

My car is financed and I have full coverage on insurance. If I'm paying $500+ per month to own my car then I'm gonna have it there with me right. Makes no sense to be paying for a vehicle you can't even drive for 18 weeks. Even if it's a evening cruise once in a while to clear your head or a quick trip to Montreal for a weekend. I feel like having your vehicle there would be worth it.

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:06 pm

Well, that's good you have a car and payments are paid on it. Unfortunately, the government , your employer,doesn't really care if you do have to. Your main focus now should be if your allowed to and follow policy and rules. If you have that tone of voice already and think our intitle to that, you have a long career ahead of you, future Recruit

Correctional Officer.

Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:54 pm

It was a long time ago that I attended Rigaud so I'm out of touch with the current system.

Who is paying the airfare? If it's you, I can't imagine why they would care how you get there. If they are paying, I don't see why you couldn't choose to forgo the airfare and drive yourself but in that case you would have to accept that they aren't going to pay you mileage. That's how it worked for me when I attended DFC in PEI. They had an airline ticket available for me but if I chose to drive, it was going to be on my dime. A middle-ground might be worked out such as paying you the cost of the airfare and anything above that would be your responsibility, but that would be at their discretion.
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:02 pm

When I was there in 2014 if it was over 600km you had to take the flight there and back, but no one cared if you happened to have a car there with you as well.... I had a few people who went home on a weekend and drove their car back up. No one cared. As long as the first trip in, and the last trip home is traveled via the approved method, how you chose to travel in the middle is up to you and you alone.
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

Ramblinon28
Rookie Member

Postby Ramblinon28 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:07 pm

Fonthill wrote:Well, that's good you have a car and payments are paid on it. Unfortunately, the government , your employer,doesn't really care if you do have to. Your main focus now should be if your allowed to and follow policy and rules. If you have that tone of voice already and think our intitle to that, you have a long career ahead of you, future Recruit

Correctional Officer.

Tone of voice? I was simply stating that I make payments on my vehicle as it is financed and I'd prefer to have it with me while in training. When did I say I'm entitled to anything? It's my property therefore it's my right to have it where ever I so choose. Like Tommy just said, people were going home on weekends to get their vehicles. I will be doing the same. I don't see the problem with that.

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:41 pm

Then take you car on your own dime and hope you have a spot to park it.

James99
Rookie Member

Postby James99 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:16 pm

Congrats man! I'm waiting my med results too and it's been 2 weeks plus. I failed my PARE, twisted my ankle the second lap jumping the 5 foot mat. I couldn't make the jump anymore. Limped my way through, finished in 4:33 but had 14 seconds of penalties...missing it be 2 seconds. Shit happens, back the 14th, hopefully ankle will be healed up. How did you do? I was so pissed at myself I left right away, should of hung around and waited to see how you did[/quote]

I passed the physical, got 3:50. And if I would have failed, I would have been pissed and left too, no biggie.

I'm getting excited about the possibility of getting invited to Rigaud though, my family and I are ready for anything!

Waiting for the security interview now, hopefully I'll get a call this week!

James99

James99
Rookie Member

Postby James99 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:19 pm

I love saying when I'm waiting for results, got my med today, passed

But you can get an idea from your doctor and pysch, they don't work for the cbsa and don't always have that poker face. My pysch told me everything looks great when I left and the doctor told me everything was fine on his end. But an official answer is what you want[/quote]

I asked the Doctor about corrected vision, and the fact that I had a seizure 6 years ago. She said it wasn't a problem and that I was fine since everything was under control.

Are you saying you got an email saying you cleared the medical? If so, when was your medical?

James99

dana6
Rookie Member

Postby dana6 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:44 pm

Tommy wrote:When I was there in 2014 if it was over 600km you had to take the flight there and back, but no one cared if you happened to have a car there with you as well.... I had a few people who went home on a weekend and drove their car back up. No one cared. As long as the first trip in, and the last trip home is traveled via the approved method, how you chose to travel in the middle is up to you and you alone.

Seems a bit of a waste of tax payers money flying people in who would rather drive (and yes I would have no issues paying gas).

So, on a related note, how easy is it to get away on the weekend? Do they keep you busy late Friday nights? Are you expected to study on weekends? Do they do weekend training? Or are weekends totally your own?

Thanks guys for all the great answers so far...

Ramblinon28
Rookie Member

Postby Ramblinon28 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:52 pm

dana6 wrote:
Tommy wrote:When I was there in 2014 if it was over 600km you had to take the flight there and back, but no one cared if you happened to have a car there with you as well.... I had a few people who went home on a weekend and drove their car back up. No one cared. As long as the first trip in, and the last trip home is traveled via the approved method, how you chose to travel in the middle is up to you and you alone.

Seems a bit of a waste of tax payers money flying people in who would rather drive (and yes I would have no issues paying gas).

So, on a related note, how easy is it to get away on the weekend? Do they keep you busy late Friday nights? Are you expected to study on weekends? Do they do weekend training? Or are weekends totally your own?

Good friend of mine was a OITP 6b grad.. they said the weekends are your time. I've also read on this forum others confirming that information. Only time you could be later on fridays is if you have a fitness class later on like 5pm. This is all from other graduates.

yojimbojack
Rookie Member

Postby yojimbojack » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:04 pm

kitsune wrote:I'm not sure if this has been asked before.

After your training at Rigaud and you're posted to a POE, are you expected to leave for that port right away or can you take some time off in between?

Thank you. :)

If things are the same as last year you will have about 2 weeks between graduation and starting at your POE - if you don't have to move you can relax or take a trip...otherwise there's not a lot of time to get organized.
"I’m a reasonable guy, but I’ve just experienced some very unreasonable things" - Jack Burton

yojimbojack
Rookie Member

Postby yojimbojack » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:11 pm

dana6 wrote:

Lots of people had cars at Rigaud, even if they lived over 600 kms away. There's lots of parking for everyone if you include the overflow lot. I'm not sure if any of them drove initially but I know a few people went and got their cars during training and drove them home after grad. Also, some people who flew in ended up forgoing flights home as they traveled home by car with spouses/family who came to their grad.

No guarantees but I don't think it's that big as deal as long as you speak with the administrators and they are aware of your plans.

Evenings and weekends are yours to do whatever you want after all your commitments are met, like mandatory fitness sessions. You can check out of the college for the weekend with advance notice.
"I’m a reasonable guy, but I’ve just experienced some very unreasonable things" - Jack Burton