Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Tommy
Veteran Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Tommy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:20 pm

yojimbojack wrote:
NinjaNikki wrote:
I think it was the experience such as yours in the first batches that made them revamp/change things. My understanding from our last we got in (so OITP 5?) was they weren't sending them to the really small ports right away anymore.

I was in OITP 5.

Well that's just weird then.......

Truthfully I'm sorry you had to end up there. It's very odd that they changed that from OITP-4.... Especially since some of the people at the smaller ports did have a lot of trouble with the competencies simply due to a lack of work....

I also found that talking to my friends at smaller ports they got less of some experiences and more of others.... PIL for example... I work a very busy land border, so I spend about just under half my shift on PIL, whereas at some of the smaller ports where my colleague works he may only do one or two lanes an entire shift. sometimes less.... But he may get a lot more Immigration experience.

I feel like it's kind of give and take.... In the end, it's not about what you did, but rather, how you can apply what you did to what they are looking for.... But that's all after you get through the application process and get all the way here..... It's a long road, but signing the contract for FB-03 feels great at the end!
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

NinjaNikki
Seasoned Member

Postby NinjaNikki » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:11 am

yojimbojack wrote:

I was in OITP 5.

I'm confused, you say you are OITP5 but then say "Personally I've never been offered time at a larger port neither have the others I work with. Maybe it's different for specific small ports or regions so I can't speak to that. Only referencing my own experience and those around me."
OITP 5 just started at the port in January...barely a month in, still plenty of time to see what pans out.

yojimbojack
Rookie Member

Postby yojimbojack » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:04 am

NinjaNikki wrote:
yojimbojack wrote:

I was in OITP 5.

I'm confused, you say you are OITP5 but then say "Personally I've never been offered time at a larger port neither have the others I work with. Maybe it's different for specific small ports or regions so I can't speak to that. Only referencing my own experience and those around me."
OITP 5 just started at the port in January...barely a month in, still plenty of time to see what pans out.

OITP 5A - D graduated between June and end of July last year (2015). A quick search of the "CBSA Applicant Chit Chat" forum or checking the Atlas page will confirm that.
"I’m a reasonable guy, but I’ve just experienced some very unreasonable things" - Jack Burton

yojimbojack
Rookie Member

Postby yojimbojack » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:23 am

NinjaNikki wrote:
yojimbojack wrote:

I was in OITP 5.

This is page 104 of the "General CBSA Applicant Chit Chat" forum discussing invites to 5D last Jan/Feb 2015 for example: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18880&st=0&start=1545
"I’m a reasonable guy, but I’ve just experienced some very unreasonable things" - Jack Burton

NinjaNikki
Seasoned Member

Postby NinjaNikki » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:30 am

yojimbojack wrote:
NinjaNikki wrote:
yojimbojack wrote:

I was in OITP 5.

OITP 5A - D graduated between June and end of July last year (2015). A quick search of the "CBSA Applicant Chit Chat" forum or checking the Atlas page will confirm that.

Interesting. I wasn't aware they spaced out the intakes like that, though truth be told I only half pay attention to the newbies when they come in.

It's rather unfortunate then that your class got the shaft like that.

Hopeful-1
Rookie Member

Postby Hopeful-1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:09 pm

Are there any experienced officer out there who would mind answering some questions through PM? Basically a lot of the same stuff this forum, Id just like to get some info/opinions about the process from someone whose been through it. Thanks in advance.
Rigaud - Aug 2017 - withdrawl injured during CDT

Cerberus58
Rookie Member

Postby Cerberus58 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:13 pm

Hello,

I've been following this forum since my application went in December 1, 2015.
I currently work for the Social Service and Health sector as a youth worker. The work conditions have some similarities with what has been described by other posters who are currently BSO's (Rotating shift work, overtime, working holidays and weekends, etc...). It's a well paying job, and I like to believe I'm good at it, but truthfully at the end of the day it is not a job that leaves me with a real sense of job satisfaction.

I turned 30 years old in October 2015. It gave me reason to re-examine what I am doing, and ask if I am really happy and/or content. All that being said, I am not.

I have successfully completed the PARE test and received passing grades for both my GCT2, and WCPT. As each step is completed I find myself experiencing a mixture of excitement and nervousness (which I believe to be normal).

I have several dozen questions, many of which I have found answered on this forum (THANK YOU). For right now though my biggest question is about family. I am single and not really held down anywhere, but would at some point in the next few years like to look at having a family of my own. Are there any BSO's who are husbands and/or fathers? Does this type of career make settling down with someone hard? Have you found the job to have a negative impact on your family life? I by no means am asking for personal details, but general observations and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance
CRFSC/CFSC (October 8th/25th, 2015) - Passed
PARE (December 1st, 2015) - Passed
APPLIED - December 1st, 2015
GCT2 (February 9th, 2016) - Passed
WCPT (February 9th, 2016) - Passed

ueihtampane
Rookie Member

Postby ueihtampane » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:45 am

Hi everyone,

First time I post here! The process is doing pretty well for me.

I have 3 different kind of questions :

1- When you are in formation at Rigaud, are you covered by a federal government assurance? (or is it only after at a POE?)

2- I already been through a couple of security interview and process for other jobs, but a specific question for that particular process : Do we need to give a neighbor as reference? (i'm moving in couple of weeks and would be great to know before)

3 - Does a lot of people fail Rigaud?

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------
Application (10/2015) - Passed
GCT2/WCPT (11/2015) - Passed
Interview (02/2016) - Passed
Medical (02/2016) - Passed
PARE (02/2016) - Passed
Psych (03/2016) - Scheduled
Security Interview
Rigaud

cohda
Rookie Member

Postby cohda » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:44 pm

1- During Rigaud, you are not an employee, so, No.

2- Dont remember having to name neighbors.

3- In OITP 3, from 2 french groups, I know of 1 person that did not succeed. I don't know about the english groups.
Many abandon though for different reasons, health issues, injuries, nervous metltdown, etc.

Hope this helps.

ueihtampane wrote:Hi everyone,

First time I post here! The process is doing pretty well for me.

I have 3 different kind of questions :

1- When you are in formation at Rigaud, are you covered by a federal government assurance? (or is it only after at a POE?)

2- I already been through a couple of security interview and process for other jobs, but a specific question for that particular process : Do we need to give a neighbor as reference? (i'm moving in couple of weeks and would be great to know before)

3 - Does a lot of people fail Rigaud?

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------
Application (10/2015) - Passed
GCT2/WCPT (11/2015) - Passed
Interview (02/2016) - Passed
Medical (02/2016) - Passed
PARE (02/2016) - Passed
Psych (03/2016) - Scheduled
Security Interview
Rigaud
QC APPLIC. (3333): 03-04-12
WRIT. SLE: 21-03-13 - PASSED
GCT 2/WCPT: 29-04-13 - PASSED
INTERVIEW: 11-06-13 - PASSED
SEC. CLEAR.: 11-06-13 -PASSED
MMPI-2/16PF: 17-06-13 - PASSED
MEDICAL: 02-07-13 - PASSED
ORAL SLE: 13-11-13 - PASSED
OITP3, Graduate, June '14

Vitulla
Rookie Member

Postby Vitulla » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:07 pm

cohda wrote:1- During Rigaud, you are not an employee, so, No.

2- Dont remember having to name neighbors.

3- In OITP 3, from 2 french groups, I know of 1 person that did not succeed. I don't know about the english groups.
Many abandon though for different reasons, health issues, injuries, nervous metltdown, etc.

Hope this helps.

My buddy was in the same intake as you, English from Quebec. He didn't mention anyone failing but I do remember him saying 2 or 3 people left after they got their port assignment

cohda
Rookie Member

Postby cohda » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:10 pm

I'm married, father of two, 15 and 18.

The main issue, I think, is the shift work.

I work 12h shifts on a 11 weeks schedule. I work 50% of the week-ends and approx. 45% Nights.
I love my schedule. We have a stretch of 7 days off per 11 weeks schedule, adding a nice 5 weeks of vacation per year, paid. Most of us end up working OT during those weeks ;-)

So, being older, married for almost 20 years, older kids and all, working shift doesn't interfere too much with family life.

But, I can see how it can be a source of problem for a new couple, even more if the lady is working 9 to 5 normal weeks.
Girlfriends usually do not enjoy spending half of week-ends alone...

Same for the young families, the lady ends up alone to take care of young babies, 50% of the time, nights and week-end.

But I see people making it work, so, it is possible.

And, not all POE are on 12h shifts, also, not all POE have complete nights.

Cerberus58 wrote:Hello,
I have several dozen questions, many of which I have found answered on this forum (THANK YOU). For right now though my biggest question is about family. I am single and not really held down anywhere, but would at some point in the next few years like to look at having a family of my own. Are there any BSO's who are husbands and/or fathers? Does this type of career make settling down with someone hard? Have you found the job to have a negative impact on your family life? I by no means am asking for personal details, but general observations and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Last edited by cohda on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
QC APPLIC. (3333): 03-04-12
WRIT. SLE: 21-03-13 - PASSED
GCT 2/WCPT: 29-04-13 - PASSED
INTERVIEW: 11-06-13 - PASSED
SEC. CLEAR.: 11-06-13 -PASSED
MMPI-2/16PF: 17-06-13 - PASSED
MEDICAL: 02-07-13 - PASSED
ORAL SLE: 13-11-13 - PASSED
OITP3, Graduate, June '14

seekerbeta
Rookie Member

Postby seekerbeta » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:58 am

cohda wrote:I'm married, father of two, 15 and 18.

The main issue, I think, is the shift work.

I work 12h shifts on a 11 weeks schedule. I work 50% of the week-ends and approx. 45% Nights.
I love my schedule. We have a stretch of 7 days off per 11 weeks schedule, adding a nice 5 weeks of vacation per year, paid. Most of us end up working OT during those weeks ;-)

So, being older, married for almost 20 years, older kids and all, working shift doesn't interfere too much with family life.

But, I can see how it can be a source of problem for a new couple, even more if the lady is working 9 to 5 normal weeks.
Girlfriends usually do not enjoy spending half of week-ends alone...

Same for the young families, the lady ends up alone to take care of young babies, 50% of the time, nights and week-end.

But I see people making it work, so, it is possible.

And, not all POE are on 12h shifts, also, all POE have complete nights.

Cerberus58 wrote:Hello,

Thank you in advance

Its going to be hard, but the other person in the relationship should support the person in the CBSA, my wife is like the right now, and i wouldn't expect it to be any other way
CBSA OITP Graduate 7C - July 21 2016

Cerberus58
Rookie Member

Postby Cerberus58 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:18 pm

Thank you for responding to my post.

Cohda,

I understand and agree that shift work is not always ideal as I already do it now. But truthfully I don't know if I would be able to go back to a 9-5 schedule now. Do you find you are able to have a "Good" work/life balance?
CRFSC/CFSC (October 8th/25th, 2015) - Passed
PARE (December 1st, 2015) - Passed
APPLIED - December 1st, 2015
GCT2 (February 9th, 2016) - Passed
WCPT (February 9th, 2016) - Passed

CanadianCraft
Rookie Member

Postby CanadianCraft » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:16 pm

During the application online they ask
Have you successfully completed the physical abilities standard as established by the CBSA

Do they mean the PARE? and if so does this mean I need to have done it before applying?

Ramblinon28
Rookie Member

Postby Ramblinon28 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:20 pm

CanadianCraft wrote:During the application online they ask
Have you successfully completed the physical abilities standard as established by the CBSA

Do they mean the PARE? and if so does this mean I need to have done it before applying?

just do it ASAP