Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
seekerbeta
Rookie Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby seekerbeta » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:56 pm

yojimbojack wrote:
seekerbeta wrote:i would think those smaller ports (Boundary Bay, Abootsford ETC) would never get "new" recruits, they would be expierienced officers transferred in from other POEs,

Lots of small ports get recruits. Some of them have over half their staff from OITP. 2 recruits from my intake went to Boundary Bay alone. I'd say a good 40% ended up at small - medium, even remote ports. Transfers are EXTREMELY difficult in this agency, almost impossible in some cases if you're at an unpopular or smaller port - especially between different regions. What you pick is likely where you'll stay (@least for a good number of years).

I Was told that no recruit would end up at a port that is smaller than 4 members, you can't learn anything if you dont have anyone to mentor
CBSA OITP Graduate 7C - July 21 2016

yojimbojack
Rookie Member

Postby yojimbojack » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:10 pm

[/quote]
I Was told that no recruit would end up at a port that is smaller than 4 members, you can't learn anything if you dont have anyone to mentor[/quote]

I've never heard of anything like that before, during or after Rigaud. Recruits from my intake ended up in some of the smallest ports in the country. Yes their learning, development and experiences are severely limited - CBSA doesn't care. They need bodies in those places and the only people they can force to go there at this point are OITP. Its an easy solution to their staffing problems. It's pretty much a "sucks to be you" situation. Just hope for good luck in selection if you want a decent start to your career without a giant uphill struggle to get where you want to go. I know MANY BSO'S who have joined other agencies, quit for other jobs or taken leave without pay for 5 years before having to quit while waiting for transfers because they got stuck somewhere they hated with no ability to move up or leave. It happens all the time.

I just want everyone to be aware of the reality of the situation as I've seen it/experienced it. Not trying to be purposely negative - I was told a lot of misleading or wrong info which gave me false hope in the process.

I also need to point out a port of 4 BSO'S isn't possible with a 7 day a week operation even if it's not a 24hr.
"I’m a reasonable guy, but I’ve just experienced some very unreasonable things" - Jack Burton

yojimbojack
Rookie Member

Postby yojimbojack » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:15 pm

I should clarify; no recruit works alone. Nobody does period.
"I’m a reasonable guy, but I’ve just experienced some very unreasonable things" - Jack Burton

Vitulla
Rookie Member

Postby Vitulla » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:40 pm

I think we need to see the selection as an NHL draft. To be transferred, there needs to be a trade between ports so 2 BSO's need to want to trade ports. Or a port can be waiting for someone from Rigaud, but an officer can request that spot and the BSO from Rigaud will go to that port.
Is that how it works more or less?

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:19 pm

seekerbeta wrote:
yojimbojack wrote:
seekerbeta wrote:i would think those smaller ports (Boundary Bay, Abootsford ETC) would never get "new" recruits, they would be expierienced officers transferred in from other POEs,

Lots of small ports get recruits. Some of them have over half their staff from OITP. 2 recruits from my intake went to Boundary Bay alone. I'd say a good 40% ended up at small - medium, even remote ports. Transfers are EXTREMELY difficult in this agency, almost impossible in some cases if you're at an unpopular or smaller port - especially between different regions. What you pick is likely where you'll stay (@least for a good number of years).

I Was told that no recruit would end up at a port that is smaller than 4 members, you can't learn anything if you dont have anyone to mentor

Our intake had OITP's going to small ports, however their OIDP time would be spent at a larger port and upon completion they would be sent to the original POE. That was OITP-4 So I don't know if anything has changed since then.
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

NinjaNikki
Seasoned Member

Postby NinjaNikki » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:58 am

What ^^^Tommy said. The OITPs have competences they have to meet in order to move up to full FB3 that can't really be achieved at smaller ports.

yojimbojack
Rookie Member

Postby yojimbojack » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:35 am

NinjaNikki wrote:What ^^^Tommy said. The OITPs have competences they have to meet in order to move up to full FB3 that can't really be achieved at smaller ports.

As an OIDP FB02 at a smaller port I agree with you in principle and that it SHOULD work that way; however not the case with many of my fellow OIDP nor myself. Some of the FB02's at a smaller port than mine nearby needed the full 18 months due to not enough activity to complete their competencies to FB03. Tough to do when you only see a few cars a day.

Personally I've never been offered time at a larger port neither have the others I work with. Maybe it's different for specific small ports or regions so I can't speak to that. Only referencing my own experience and those around me.

NinjaNikki
Seasoned Member

Postby NinjaNikki » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:42 am

yojimbojack wrote:
NinjaNikki wrote:What ^^^Tommy said. The OITPs have competences they have to meet in order to move up to full FB3 that can't really be achieved at smaller ports.

As an OIDP FB02 at a smaller port I agree with you in principle and that it SHOULD work that way; however not the case with many of my fellow OIDP nor myself. Some of the FB02's at a smaller port than mine nearby needed the full 18 months due to not enough activity to complete their competencies to FB03. Tough to do when you only see a few cars a day.

Personally I've never been offered time at a larger port neither have the others I work with. Maybe it's different for specific small ports or regions so I can't speak to that. Only referencing my own experience and those around me.

I think it was the experience such as yours in the first batches that made them revamp/change things. My understanding from our last we got in (so OITP 5?) was they weren't sending them to the really small ports right away anymore.

yojimbojack
Rookie Member

Postby yojimbojack » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:00 am

NinjaNikki wrote:
yojimbojack wrote:

I think it was the experience such as yours in the first batches that made them revamp/change things. My understanding from our last we got in (so OITP 5?) was they weren't sending them to the really small ports right away anymore.

I was in OITP 5.

Vitulla
Rookie Member

Postby Vitulla » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:31 am

Are bilingual applicants giving a different set of POE's?

rattler280
Rookie Member

Postby rattler280 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:42 am

Not getting experience due to working at a small port is overblown. Sure, you may not get that many seizures/arrests, however due to necessity you will be exposed to customs, immigration and commercial.

I'm at one of the busiest ports in the country and for the last 2 years all of the recruits that have come here have done nothing but customs work. That's where we're needed so that's where they put us. Every port is different, but with a very small port you will have to have a wide scope of knowledge.
Last edited by rattler280 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

rattler280
Rookie Member

Postby rattler280 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:43 am

Vitulla wrote:Are bilingual applicants giving a different set of POE's?

Yes. It will be different from english only applicants.

yojimbojack
Rookie Member

Postby yojimbojack » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:52 pm

rattler280 wrote:Not getting experience due to working at a small port is overblown. Sure, you may not get that many seizures/arrests, however due to necessity you will be exposed to customs, immigration and commercial.

I'm at one of the busiest ports in the country and for the last 2 years all of the recruits that have come here have done nothing but customs work. That's where we're needed so that's where they put us. Every port is different, but with a very small port you will have to have a wide scope of knowledge.

I can see that maybe if you're at Pearson. I've spoken to many of my classmates and other colleagues who went to large land borders and some larger airports who get more activity and experience in a week then I see in a month or more. I may see a bit more of certain limited aspects of the job but not really enough of it to really gain valuable experience. The other negatives far outweigh that one slight potential positive in my opinion.

Ramblinon28
Rookie Member

Postby Ramblinon28 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:46 pm

yojimbojack wrote:
rattler280 wrote:Not getting experience due to working at a small port is overblown. Sure, you may not get that many seizures/arrests, however due to necessity you will be exposed to customs, immigration and commercial.

I can see that maybe if you're at Pearson. I've spoken to many of my classmates and other colleagues who went to large land borders and some larger airports who get more activity and experience in a week then I see in a month or more. I may see a bit more of certain limited aspects of the job but not really enough of it to really gain valuable experience. The other negatives far outweigh that one slight potential positive in my opinion.

Sounds like you had the short end of the stick and was sent to butt fuk Idaho. lol :banghead:

JDube
Rookie Member

Postby JDube » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:10 pm

Ramblinon28 wrote:Sounds like you had the short end of the stick and was sent to butt fuk Idaho. lol :banghead:

My friend told me that his intake had much interest in the Snowflake AB POE...
Quebec CBSA applicant timeline
Applied: Jan 16th 2019
OTEE: Feb 21-25th 2019 - Results March, Pass
Interview: May 27th 2019 - Results June Pass
Psych eval: September 2019 - Pass
Security papers - Sent November 2019
Integrity interview - March 2020