Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
n2a3d
Rookie Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby n2a3d » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:19 am

Hello,

I have red that it will take 6-12 months to go through the whole hiring process, but has anyone been accepted in less than six months?
I am planning to apply around March and I was wondering if there is a chance I get to Rigaud this year.

Thanks

Vitulla
Rookie Member

Postby Vitulla » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:48 am

n2a3d wrote:Hello,

I have red that it will take 6-12 months to go through the whole hiring process, but has anyone been accepted in less than six months?
I am planning to apply around March and I was wondering if there is a chance I get to Rigaud this year.

Thanks

Doubtful. The process can be relatively quick for some and painfully slow for others. Under 6 months would be a record. Around 9-12 months seems to be "normal" now from what I am gathering around here. I know someone applied in July of 2015 and they are going to rigaud in March. Their username escapes me at the moment but they are active.

seekerbeta
Rookie Member

Postby seekerbeta » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:40 am

I applied July Last year, and I'm going in March, but I still haven't completed everything on the requirement list, this seems about average but i do have to add that they are having to process a lot of Syrian refugees, so the security clearance section has slowed down worse then molasses in winter. Im okay with it slowing down, and I welcome all the recent refugees to Canada.
CBSA OITP Graduate 7C - July 21 2016

Vitulla
Rookie Member

Postby Vitulla » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:57 pm

seekerbeta wrote:I applied July Last year, and I'm going in March, but I still haven't completed everything on the requirement list, this seems about average but i do have to add that they are having to process a lot of Syrian refugees, so the security clearance section has slowed down worse then molasses in winter. Im okay with it slowing down, and I welcome all the recent refugees to Canada.

Yep your the person I was talking about!

Question had my interview on Monday and got an email to fill out security documents...does that mean I passed?

Ramblinon28
Rookie Member

Postby Ramblinon28 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:34 pm

Vitulla wrote:
seekerbeta wrote:I applied July Last year, and I'm going in March, but I still haven't completed everything on the requirement list, this seems about average but i do have to add that they are having to process a lot of Syrian refugees, so the security clearance section has slowed down worse then molasses in winter. Im okay with it slowing down, and I welcome all the recent refugees to Canada.

Question had my interview on Monday and got an email to fill out security documents...does that mean I passed?

That would be a record for results but take it as a good sign! I received my paperwork prior to getting my results and I passed! Don't count your chickens, but it's a good sign! Goodluck the rest of the way!

seekerbeta
Rookie Member

Postby seekerbeta » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:52 pm

Ramblinon28 wrote:
Vitulla wrote:

That would be a record for results but take it as a good sign! I received my paperwork prior to getting my results and I passed! Don't count your chickens, but it's a good sign! Goodluck the rest of the way!

I received the security papers to fill out back in November, then I Received an email for a 1 on 1 Security Interview Feb 18th. They are supposed to be done the reliability by March 14th, but anything is possible at this point

NinjaNikki
Seasoned Member

Postby NinjaNikki » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:22 pm

JDube wrote:
gotchya wrote:
JDube wrote:Also if you get in as a BSO and want to further your career, CBSA, as most employers, probably gives some kind of priority to holders of Degrees or Masters.

False

I'm not talking absolute priority.

You are saying that CBSA's HR doesn't use a pointed chart to evaluate applicants to a supervisor or surintendant position?

Just curious as it is the most common "objective" standardized way to evaluate individuals and level of education almost always plays a role in management positions within organizations.

ie.: It is becoming rather uncommon to have top managers who don't hold their MBA or are in the procees of obtaining it, in large businesses.

You are over thinking it. Cbsa advancement is based mainly on standardized testing.

JDube
Rookie Member

Postby JDube » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:33 pm

Thanks. As for overthinking, I blame it on my Analytical-Dominant personnality hehe
Quebec CBSA applicant timeline
Applied: Jan 16th 2019
OTEE: Feb 21-25th 2019 - Results March, Pass
Interview: May 27th 2019 - Results June Pass
Psych eval: September 2019 - Pass
Security papers - Sent November 2019
Integrity interview - March 2020

yojimbojack
Rookie Member

Postby yojimbojack » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:28 pm

seekerbeta wrote:the last i heard, there is usually 18 Recruits to a Class, and 3 - 5 classes per wave, in each class, you will have 25 POEs to choose from, so even if you have to pick last, there is still 6 POEs to choose from. that being said depending they may be less desirable, they may not be. some single people want to travel to different places, some may be following spouses in other public services to places like Sask and Manitoba. but there are a lot of people that live in Ontario and want to Remain in Ontario, and will pick based on that, Some members I talked to did say that in their classes the top 5 Picked first, and the rest we random

The selection process is simple: there are an exact number of spots, no more, no less. If 2 people get kicked out, 2 spots get eliminated. Even if they get kicked out after they choose; their spots go with them - no switching is allowed. Near the end of training about 2 weeks before selection day you get a list of available ports, good or bad, so you can order your preferences. Then a week later you'll all get together and they'll draw your name from one box and an appointment time from another. A few days later you report for your time and choose from what's left for ports. You can basically guess by your appointment time how much choice you'll have.

There is NO preference given to top 5 etc. Your performance and test scores have ZERO influence on your ability to choose. It's a "double blind" lottery system for EVERY recruit.

This is the standard system that was settled on after some trial and error during the first few OITP intakes. Believe me or not - anyone going to Rigaud will find out soon enough.
"I’m a reasonable guy, but I’ve just experienced some very unreasonable things" - Jack Burton

yojimbojack
Rookie Member

Postby yojimbojack » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:30 pm

Are recruits allowed to exchange Ports with each other, before they leave Rigaud?

No.
"I’m a reasonable guy, but I’ve just experienced some very unreasonable things" - Jack Burton

Vitulla
Rookie Member

Postby Vitulla » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:59 pm

yojimbojack wrote:
seekerbeta wrote:the last i heard, there is usually 18 Recruits to a Class, and 3 - 5 classes per wave, in each class, you will have 25 POEs to choose from, so even if you have to pick last, there is still 6 POEs to choose from. that being said depending they may be less desirable, they may not be. some single people want to travel to different places, some may be following spouses in other public services to places like Sask and Manitoba. but there are a lot of people that live in Ontario and want to Remain in Ontario, and will pick based on that, Some members I talked to did say that in their classes the top 5 Picked first, and the rest we random

The selection process is simple: there are an exact number of spots, no more, no less. If 2 people get kicked out, 2 spots get eliminated. Even if they get kicked out after they choose; their spots go with them - no switching is allowed. Near the end of training about 2 weeks before selection day you get a list of available ports, good or bad, so you can order your preferences. Then a week later you'll all get together and they'll draw your name from one box and an appointment time from another. A few days later you report for your time and choose from what's left for ports. You can basically guess by your appointment time how much choice you'll have.

There is NO preference given to top 5 etc. Your performance and test scores have ZERO influence on your ability to choose. It's a "double blind" lottery system for EVERY recruit.

This is the standard system that was settled on after some trial and error during the first few OITP intakes. Believe me or not - anyone going to Rigaud will find out soon enough.

This is exactly what was explained to me when I went to my interview at Rigaud on Monday.
They tried different methods but now it's double random draw. They said it was the most fair

saini17
Rookie Member

Postby saini17 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:56 am

Hello all,

So I am going to be graduating university in April and I live in the GTA. I was looking into a career with CBSA however, the physical test (PARE) is what is scaring me the most. I am not that fit and I am only 5'1ft tall but I am going to start working on my cardio and hitting up the gym. Is anyone willing to take the time and explain what my next steps would be? I have not filled out the application yet because I still need to do the firearms safety course which I will be completing shortly. I also have a summer job coming up as a security guard so I will be keeping myself busy with that in the mean time.I know there is a website with all the information but I would really appreciate it if someone who has been through the process explain it to me in detail. Also what are all the tests about...like the psych one or the mental one? Also how long do you think it will take me to prepare for the PARE test like to get fit and all?

Thank you to whoever took the time to read this and answer any of my questions!

Hopeful-1
Rookie Member

Postby Hopeful-1 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:03 pm

im just wondering about a certain POE? Prince George BC airport. Does anyone know how often, or ever, if it comes open for new recruits. Just curious because it would be the place of most interest to me. Only for geographical reasons.
Thanks
Rigaud - Aug 2017 - withdrawl injured during CDT

seekerbeta
Rookie Member

Postby seekerbeta » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:55 pm

i would think those smaller ports (Boundary Bay, Abootsford ETC) would never get "new" recruits, they would be expierienced officers transferred in from other POEs,

yojimbojack
Rookie Member

Postby yojimbojack » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:15 pm

seekerbeta wrote:i would think those smaller ports (Boundary Bay, Abootsford ETC) would never get "new" recruits, they would be expierienced officers transferred in from other POEs,

Lots of small ports get recruits. Some of them have over half their staff from OITP. 2 recruits from my intake went to Boundary Bay alone. I'd say a good 40% ended up at small - medium, even remote ports. Transfers are EXTREMELY difficult in this agency, almost impossible in some cases if you're at an unpopular or smaller port - especially between different regions. What you pick is likely where you'll stay (@least for a good number of years).