Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
JDube
Rookie Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby JDube » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:02 pm

Your written results are good for life afaik. When you reapply and receive the written tests invite, send them the results sheets.

I don't think keeping your profile active would have any use. Just reapply in 2 years.
Quebec CBSA applicant timeline
Applied: Jan 16th 2019
OTEE: Feb 21-25th 2019 - Results March, Pass
Interview: May 27th 2019 - Results June Pass
Psych eval: September 2019 - Pass
Security papers - Sent November 2019
Integrity interview - March 2020

MtRoyal
Rookie Member

Postby MtRoyal » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:32 pm

Hello, I am going to enroll into a Criminology(justice and law) program soon. Does this kind of background helps to get into CBSA?

Also I am fluent in 4 languages(including french).Does that mean I will be sent somewhere in Quebec after Rigaud? Or they need french speaking officers everywhere in Canada?
It doesn't bother me to move from my hometown.I just want to know if the selection is random.

JDube
Rookie Member

Postby JDube » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:15 pm

Port of entry selection is completely random now.

Having the criminology background won't be of much help for the selection process. Once in Rigaud it might give you an edge over other recruits though.

MtRoyal
Rookie Member

Postby MtRoyal » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:25 pm

I just found this on their site :The CBSA is looking for highly motivated, mature, and reliable post-secondary students to work as SBSOs.
Preference may be given to students in a field related to the job such as criminology, law, security, law enforcement, psychology, sociology or police studies.

JDube
Rookie Member

Postby JDube » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:59 pm

Sorry, I thought your question was in regard to an Officer trainee position.

Yes, as SBSO it will help you.

thearrow
Rookie Member

Postby thearrow » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:44 am

JDube wrote:Port of entry selection is completely random now.

So no more name out of a hat for a time slot to go in and choose from a limited selection?

JDube
Rookie Member

Postby JDube » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:35 am

thearrow wrote:

So no more name out of a hat for a time slot to go in and choose from a limited selection?

That's what I call completely random, bad choice of word on a technical level. (45h of stats in university wasn't enough to leave a mark in my mind hehe)

It is based on luck. You will get to select a Port but your skills and performance have no impact because if you pick the last time slot, you might end up with only one option.

We will see if they still use that method with the current intakes.

cplhick1968
Rookie Member

Postby cplhick1968 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:10 am

JDube wrote:
thearrow wrote:

That's what I call completely random, bad choice of word on a technical level. (45h of stats in university wasn't enough to leave a mark in my mind hehe)

It is based on luck. You will get to select a Port but your skills and performance have no impact because if you pick the last time slot, you might end up with only one option.

We will see if they still use that method with the current intakes.

Are recruits allowed to exchange Ports with each other, before they leave Rigaud?

seekerbeta
Rookie Member

Postby seekerbeta » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:46 am

the last i heard, there is usually 18 Recruits to a Class, and 3 - 5 classes per wave, in each class, you will have 25 POEs to choose from, so even if you have to pick last, there is still 6 POEs to choose from. that being said depending they may be less desirable, they may not be. some single people want to travel to different places, some may be following spouses in other public services to places like Sask and Manitoba. but there are a lot of people that live in Ontario and want to Remain in Ontario, and will pick based on that, Some members I talked to did say that in their classes the top 5 Picked first, and the rest we random
CBSA OITP Graduate 7C - July 21 2016

MtRoyal
Rookie Member

Postby MtRoyal » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:09 pm

Some one here said they check your credit history.what happens if you don't have any?
Do they also check the driving record?

MtRoyal
Rookie Member

Postby MtRoyal » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:21 pm

JDube wrote:Having the criminology background won't be of much help for the selection process.

I was heading to USA from Montreal and I had a bit of chit chat with the border officers.A guy barley speaking any french got this position just because he had a degree in psychology(mind blown).
The second one had background in law enforcement.I really would like to believe you,but it seems they do consider your background,if it is relative to the position of course.
In fact most of the justice and law graduates end up working in civil service.

seekerbeta
Rookie Member

Postby seekerbeta » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:52 pm

MtRoyal wrote:Some one here said they check your credit history.what happens if you don't have any?
Do they also check the driving record?

They ask you questions about it, and they do have to verify you have a clean driving record, and they just want to verify you dont have a large amount of consumer debt, and that you cant be influenced by someone wanting to bring stuff across the border and bribing you or buying your debt from a loanshark.
CBSA OITP Graduate 7C - July 21 2016

MtRoyal
Rookie Member

Postby MtRoyal » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:59 pm

I see.Thanks for the info.My record is fine.My gf had some problems with debt,she fixed it,but doesn't use cards anymore(she also wants to apply to CBSA)
Although,I had 2 tickets in past, my points are back to normal.

JDube
Rookie Member

Postby JDube » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:40 pm

MtRoyal wrote:
JDube wrote:Having the criminology background won't be of much help for the selection process.

I was heading to USA from Montreal and I had a bit of chit chat with the border officers.A guy barley speaking any french got this position just because he had a degree in psychology(mind blown).

I call BS. Even if you had a Ph.D in criminology, you would still have to go through the selection process to be a BSO, unless you transfer from another federal agency.

You also have to keep in mind that the selection process has evolved and changed a lot in the last 5 years. CBSA used to require two years of post-secondary education.

Positions in management or positions other than field BSO most likely give preference to education.

NinjaNikki
Seasoned Member

Postby NinjaNikki » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:56 pm

MtRoyal wrote:

The second one had background in law enforcement.I really would like to believe you,but it seems they do consider your background,if it is relative to the position of course.
In fact most of the justice and law graduates end up working in civil service.

I can tell you for a fact, your degree means nothing. Yes there are a large handful of us with degrees in the field but I also work with officers who have degrees in Fine Arts, Math, Enginering etc.