Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Redz
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Redz » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:35 am


If you apply as bilingual, you must pass an SLE. If you apply as English only and (what I assume would be the same for French only) you do not have to take an SLE


Didnt know that we can apply with french or english only thanks for the info

Ramblinon28
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:18 am
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Ramblinon28 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:24 am

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you would like to share what part of the recruitment process is the toughest? I'm posting this question in this forum because all of you are no longer "Applicants."
I have heard the competency tests are the hardest but i've also heard the panel interview was as well. Then I read somewhere that the pych evaluation had the highest failure rate.
All opinions are welcome! Thanks!

JDube
Rookie Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:06 am
Location: Eastern Townships
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby JDube » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:06 pm

Redz wrote:

If you apply as bilingual, you must pass an SLE. If you apply as English only and (what I assume would be the same for French only) you do not have to take an SLE


Didnt know that we can apply with french or english only thanks for the info


There are no "French only" application opportunities. Only English only and Bilingual.
Quebec CBSA applicant timeline
Applied: Jan 16th 2019
OTEE: Feb 21-25th 2019 - Results March, Pass
Interview: May 27th 2019 - Results June Pass
Psych eval: September 2019 - Pass
Security papers - Sent November 2019
Integrity interview - March 2020

User avatar
NinjaNikki
Seasoned Member
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Everywhere you want to be.
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby NinjaNikki » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:39 am

Ramblinon28 wrote:Hello,

I was wondering if any of you would like to share what part of the recruitment process is the toughest? I'm posting this question in this forum because all of you are no longer "Applicants."
I have heard the competency tests are the hardest but i've also heard the panel interview was as well. Then I read somewhere that the pych evaluation had the highest failure rate.
All opinions are welcome! Thanks!


Statistically the written tests are the hardest part. Good luck to you.
Image

Redz
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Redz » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:07 am

NinjaNikki wrote:
Ramblinon28 wrote:Hello,

I was wondering if any of you would like to share what part of the recruitment process is the toughest? I'm posting this question in this forum because all of you are no longer "Applicants."
I have heard the competency tests are the hardest but i've also heard the panel interview was as well. Then I read somewhere that the pych evaluation had the highest failure rate.
All opinions are welcome! Thanks!


Statistically the written tests are the hardest part. Good luck to you.


I agree

Written test and then the panel interview.

Good luck

Ramblinon28
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:18 am
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Ramblinon28 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:56 am

Redz wrote:
NinjaNikki wrote:
Ramblinon28 wrote:Hello,

I was wondering if any of you would like to share what part of the recruitment process is the toughest? I'm posting this question in this forum because all of you are no longer "Applicants."
I have heard the competency tests are the hardest but i've also heard the panel interview was as well. Then I read somewhere that the pych evaluation had the highest failure rate.
All opinions are welcome! Thanks!


Statistically the written tests are the hardest part. Good luck to you.


I agree

Written test and then the panel interview.

Good luck


Thats good news because i've passed both and have my psych evaluation next week! Thanks!

JRPW
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby JRPW » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:02 pm

couurtt wrote:
Redz wrote:
JRPW wrote:Hello.

I have looked at this thread searching for answers to some questions I have in regards to the process of becoming a CBSA officer. Since some of the answers to some of my questions are out of date, I thought I would ask them again.

Background Information:

I am 39, a Canadian citizen and university educated. I have two degrees, a Bachelor of Commerce in International Business and a Bachelor of Arts in languages (Japanese and Spanish). I moved back to Canada two years ago after living and working in Japan as an English teacher and as a translator for 12 years. While on the Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Programme, I was a volunteer in my adopted community ( I helped organize international events, taught English to adults and children on Saturdays and interpreted for visiting dignitaries). Since I have always had an interest in pursuing a career in law enforcement, I applied to the CBSA in August 2015 and wrote the GCT2 and the WCPT tests in September 2015. I passed them.

Questions:

1. Although I am multilingual, I do not speak French. Will this be detrimental in my chances of becoming a CBSA officer?

2. I still have not received an email about an interview. I know that each applicant/application is different, but I am wondering how long is too long.

3. How much is life experience taken into account in the application process? As previously mentioned, I have lived overseas for a third of my life in Japan and Mexico.

I apologize for the long post, but I am getting a little nervous about my chances.

Thank you,

J


hello,

To success in the cbsa process you must be bilangual BBB in french


Absolutely incorrect. I started working this year, and I do not speak french.

Suitability for the job I think is more important than life experience, not to say life experience isn't considered, but a lot of young people are hired who obviously haven't experienced as much as you. As mentioned previously, no news is good news. It's a long process, while shorter for some, it's still long. Just because someone has heard before you, doesn't mean you won't hear.


Agreed. I think life experiences are just one piece of the puzzle when it comes to applying to any job. However, I think there are more younger people applying to the CBSA than people who are in their 30s and 40s. Thanks for the post!

J

JRPW
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby JRPW » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:04 pm

markwoodca wrote:
Redz wrote:hello,

To success in the cbsa process you must be bilangual BBB in french


Incorrect. I am a successful applicant with English only. Other languages are an asset, but unfortunately there is not testing like the Second Language Evaluation for English/French.

The best advise I or any other LEO can give on the application process, is be patient and check your spam in your email. It's a LONG process to get hired and each step in between could take weeks or even months.

Best of luck with your application JRPW!


Thanks for the reply Mark!

I knew that it would be a long process, but I thought I would ask!

itmaybeso
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:23 am
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby itmaybeso » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:24 am

Hello officers, anyone know if it's possible to take a few days off from rigaud?

rattler280
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby rattler280 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:18 am

itmaybeso wrote:Hello officers, anyone know if it's possible to take a few days off from rigaud?


Not unless it's a major emergency. ie Medical emergency, death in the family etc.

itmaybeso
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:23 am
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby itmaybeso » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:06 pm

rattler280 wrote:
itmaybeso wrote:Hello officers, anyone know if it's possible to take a few days off from rigaud?


Not unless it's a major emergency. ie Medical emergency, death in the family etc.



What about a planned court date out of the country ? Do you think would be allowed..

User avatar
Walmart Greeter
Rookie Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 2:43 pm
Location: Southern Alberta
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Walmart Greeter » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:04 pm

itmaybeso wrote:
rattler280 wrote:
itmaybeso wrote:Hello officers, anyone know if it's possible to take a few days off from rigaud?


Not unless it's a major emergency. ie Medical emergency, death in the family etc.



What about a planned court date out of the country ? Do you think would be allowed..


Why don't you contact recruiting with your situation and ask them directly? We can't give you a reliable answer, we can only speculate.

Attendance is 100% mandatory. They may give you an exemption, but don't count on it. I have seen people have to leave for serious illness, death in the family and birth of a child. In each case, they were either dropped from the process completely or had to participate in the training program a second time, from the beginning.
Do I look like a cat to ya boy? Am I bouncing around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree?!

User avatar
NinjaNikki
Seasoned Member
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Everywhere you want to be.
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby NinjaNikki » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:21 pm

itmaybeso wrote:Hello officers, anyone know if it's possible to take a few days off from rigaud?


Rigaud is designed to jam pack a shit ton of info in a short amount of time. Any time away hinders the recruits and disrupts the schedule and as such you are looking at a good chance no extended absence would be allowed. Too many moving parts. If you are in this portion then you are best to bring it to their attention sooner rather than later as best case they would defer you for a later date. You start at Rigaud and then spring your mandatory absence on them and you can probably kiss any future considerations goodbye.
Image

gyrfalcon
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby gyrfalcon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:58 pm

Hello everyone and especially the forum veterans who do a great job at answering the applicants' questions.

I would really appreciate if someone experienced in this area is able to address my query:

1) Being a permanent resident, I wonder if CBSA recruitment officers do the pre-screening based on the "Citizens first" rule.
2) Apart from French, do they care if an applicant has a proven command of other languages?
3) Is the pre-screening queue ordered by the first-in-first-out principle, or they consider such factors as educational background like picking a Master's graduate from the pack?

Thank you in advance and have a great day!

JRPW
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby JRPW » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:04 pm

Hello.

Well, I just got my interview date. However, I have one concern. Do I need to have a valid PARE by the interview? I emailed CBSA about this and was told "No"?

Thank you,

J


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], SemrushBot and 2 guests