Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
shocktech88
Rookie Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby shocktech88 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:35 pm

I don't understand how they can hire BSO's and then lay off already employed and experienced officers? UNLESS oh my god it all makes sense now! Lay off or buy out the 25-35 year employee's making their maximum salaries and hire a bunch of new, younger guy's to fill the gap for less pay... The younger guy's will also have more recent and up to date training. I think it makes perfect sense as to what they're doing. I have a relative in the CBSA in intel Ottawa and he is also affected by this, apparently 100 intel job's to be cut and or shuffled, already pink slips are being handed out apparently... All us applicant's can do is hope and prey.

shocktech88
Rookie Member

Postby shocktech88 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:44 pm

mmmfloorpie wrote:Writing the same post on two threads isn't going to make you any friends here...

Gee thanks for the helpful input, if I would have been looking for a troll I would have gone strolling over a damn bridge, taken a peek down and slapped the bugger in the face... :banghead: In the future, think before writing, useless and unhelpful crap :thumbsup:. I also clearly stated it was a re-post, how would I know which thread someone would respond, I did so to increase the odds's of a useful response, clearly I recruited some quality advice from you sir.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:10 pm

MedTech wrote:You are wise... I have applied the 5 step program... suddenly I feel much happier!

This post was made by temerityus who is currently on your ignore list.
"A spoon does not know the taste of soup, nor a learned fool the taste of wisdom." - Welsh Proverb
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Protector24
Rookie Member

Postby Protector24 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:41 am

Last edited by Protector24 on Sat May 25, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Protector24
Rookie Member

Postby Protector24 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:50 am

Last edited by Protector24 on Sat May 25, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Conejo
Grand Poobah

Postby El Conejo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:24 am

What a breath of fresh air you are Protector24 -couldn't have said it better myself. I will just add one additional tidbit for the know-it-alls that think that the DRAP has anything to do with weeding out bad employees and infusing the public service with their youthful vigour;

Straight from the Public Service Commision;
When an employee is selected for lay-off, it does not mean that they have had a performance issue, or that they are unsuitable for employment elsewhere. In fact, the nature of this exercise, with the reduced number of employees who are retained, could result in those who are among the organization's better performers being selected for lay-off.
The process of selecting employees for retention or lay-off is not designed to replace policies and procedures aimed at resolving performance issues or disciplinary problems. Unless they are at the point of having their employment terminated for cause, poor performers are included in the selection for retention or lay-off process along with other affected employees. Should a poor performer be selected for lay-off, the organization is responsible for addressing their performance issues through a training/learning plan, in consultation with their labour relations advisor. Selection for lay-off may result in a priority entitlement for appointment, which imposes an obligation on all organizations, starting with the home organization, to reintegrate the employee.

As you will see, common sense has no place in the Federal public service.

mistero
Rookie Member

Postby mistero » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:02 am

El Conejo wrote:What a breath of fresh air you are Protector24 -couldn't have said it better myself. I will just add one additional tidbit for the know-it-alls that think that the DRAP has anything to do with weeding out bad employees and infusing the public service with their youthful vigour;

Straight from the Public Service Commision;
When an employee is selected for lay-off, it does not mean that they have had a performance issue, or that they are unsuitable for employment elsewhere. In fact, the nature of this exercise, with the reduced number of employees who are retained, could result in those who are among the organization's better performers being selected for lay-off.
The process of selecting employees for retention or lay-off is not designed to replace policies and procedures aimed at resolving performance issues or disciplinary problems. Unless they are at the point of having their employment terminated for cause, poor performers are included in the selection for retention or lay-off process along with other affected employees. Should a poor performer be selected for lay-off, the organization is responsible for addressing their performance issues through a training/learning plan, in consultation with their labour relations advisor. Selection for lay-off may result in a priority entitlement for appointment, which imposes an obligation on all organizations, starting with the home organization, to reintegrate the employee.

Nevermind. I was referring to something else generally, not specifically about DRAP.
Last edited by mistero on Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:53 am

Again, that is incorrect, based purely on a categorically incorrect and simplistic assumption of how the DRAP functions. Layoffs will not be executed based on seniority, and I'm not sure how you could have posted what you did knowing full-well that you don't understand the topic at hand. Unbelievable.
"One more thing..."

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:01 am

I really do enjoy the philosophy on some of the other forums I frequent of "stay in your lane."
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

Mr-C
Rookie Member

Postby Mr-C » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:07 pm

It's not from the bottom->up based on seniority. There are managers and directors being affected, including Newfoundland's district director position (although he technically retired, will not be replaced and will fall under Nova Scotia.) That's been reported in the press.

Term employees should be a bit worried because there is wording that the employer must consider dropping them if there is a chance to save an indeterminate position

aisho
Rookie Member

Postby aisho » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:31 pm

No clue about specifics for the CBSA but for the rest of the GoC any position must be reviewed by a committee to ensure that it will not lead to an indeterm being let go. I've seen a few special cases slip through (i.e. if they lost their French term the office wouldn't be bilingual). So if you are a monolingual term, maybe start looking on jobbank.gc.ca

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:35 pm

SierraSeven wrote:I really do enjoy the philosophy on some of the other forums I frequent of "stay in your lane."

Now that wouldn't be the milnet.ca family of forums, would it?

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:31 pm

48highlander wrote:
SierraSeven wrote:I really do enjoy the philosophy on some of the other forums I frequent of "stay in your lane."

Now that wouldn't be the milnet.ca family of forums, would it?

Neg... it's LF an American Mil/LE forum that tells people to STFU when they're supposed to. The ban hammer in heavy there, and it bans any retard that goes in there and stirs crap.

As I've said it time and time again to the applicants and trolls around here. This is a forum for LE... that's it. You're here by the grace of the mods and the admins and site owner. At any time this could be a LE ONLY forum with verification prior to admittance like SOCNET. Count yourselves lucky that people here are willing to help and entertain your weird grandiose sense of self-entitlement.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:22 am

El Conejo wrote:What a breath of fresh air you are Protector24 -couldn't have said it better myself. I will just add one additional tidbit for the know-it-alls that think that the DRAP has anything to do with weeding out bad employees and infusing the public service with their youthful vigour;

Which is why this forum is fun to watch this last week. Applicant applying "logic" in trying to figure out what is going on and saying things like "they won't cut us because we are already in a certain part of the process." Clearly no experience working for the federal government where decision are mind numbing at best. I know someone who was told they were hired for a position a couple weeks back and the letter of offer would be on its way, Instead the next day they were told the position has been cut.

Until you get a letter of offer don't assume anything, even then, who knows.