Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
temerityus
Rookie Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby temerityus » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:03 pm

IrishCanadian wrote:The mental stress is all what you do to yourself.

No stress at all, for the majority of the applicants it's something more like the HUNGER FOR MORE. Being originally from a *heated* third world country I totally agree with your humble ex-FB-03 peer and with you too, Rigaud,Depot and stuff ARE a joke in comparison to what's going on outside canada's walls. Still, I (WE), as an applicant, can't wait to go through it and finally be SEATED in my box... Just like you.

No one wants to get stressed or dramatic for 125 $ a week, during 10 to 18 weeks... No Joke !!

:angel:
Too many John Waynes, not enough John Does.

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:06 pm

I didn't mean to imply your entire stay will be stressful. In this vein, Irish is right: your time at the college is what you make of it. Personally, I ran 5-7km a day through the town of Rigaud, the rectory, mountain trails, and cemetery to blow off steam. I credit my stress relief with those runs. Others holed themselves up in their rooms, studied 23 hours a day, never socialized, and lived in the classroom seven days a week and were the most visibly stressed individuals there, brimming with self-doubt. Self-esteem is crucial to success, otherwise you'll be "that guy" who allows insecurity to drive them to literally eat and drink IRPA around the clock at the expense of their well-being and socialability. Feedback days - of which, there are only two - are not pleasant. That is all. Anyone on here that attended Rigaud with me can attest that I possess the inflated confidence of ten drunken men.
"One more thing..."

john q. public
Seasoned Member

Postby john q. public » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:28 am

Riguaud will be what you make it out to be, and how you can personally deal with studying, and preparing for this job. No two people are going to have the same experience while there and everyone handles stress in a different way, so it is kind of pointless in asking how stressful it is. You need to know how you deal with stress, and most importantly find ways to minimize it. Don't let other people's anxieties become your own.

Your entire time at Rigaud does not have to be about studying. Make the time to go to Montreal or Ottawa. You likely didn't spend all your time in college or university just studying, so there is no need to do it here as well.

temerityus
Rookie Member

Postby temerityus » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:12 pm

john q. public wrote: You likely didn't spend all your time in college or university just studying, so there is no need to do it here as well.

Word.

Protector24
Rookie Member

Postby Protector24 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:13 pm

Last edited by Protector24 on Sat May 25, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Protector24
Rookie Member

Postby Protector24 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:18 pm

Protector24
Rookie Member

Postby Protector24 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:20 pm

temerityus
Rookie Member

Postby temerityus » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:53 pm

Protector24 wrote:
temerityus wrote:
IrishCanadian wrote:The mental stress is all what you do to yourself.

No stress at all, for the majority of the applicants it's something more like the HUNGER FOR MORE. Being originally from a *heated* third world country I totally agree with your humble ex-FB-03 peer and with you too, Rigaud,Depot and stuff ARE a joke in comparison to what's going on outside canada's walls. Still, I (WE), as an applicant, can't wait to go through it and finally be SEATED in my box... Just like you.

No one wants to get stressed or dramatic for 125 $ a week, during 10 to 18 weeks... No Joke !!

:angel:

Since when did we start comparing Rigaud to "heated" developing nations? I think our scope has broadened a little too far and wide here and some of the comments made are now being judged a few thousand kilometres out of context...

lol. Reread all the answers. It's about a humble ex military ex fb-03 bluenoser who mentionned the importance of general relativity while in Rigaud. And we do all agree with his himble opinion.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:25 pm

temerityus wrote:lol. Reread all the answers. It's about a humble ex military ex fb-03 bluenoser who mentionned the importance of general relativity while in Rigaud. And we do all agree with his himble opinion.

He's either since been promoted to Supt. or failed probation...
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:32 pm

IrishCanadian wrote:He's an RCMP officer now...
DOES NO ONE READ?!?!?
I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS. :rage:
8)

Ya, I though I read brown-noser...would have taken on an entirely different meaning...
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

mmmfloorpie
Rookie Member

Postby mmmfloorpie » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:26 pm

Nobody shoot me for asking this, but what level of "Standard First Aid" are you required to have for this new Trainee process? Level A or Level C? It doesn't say specifically on the new poster...

THANK YOU for your help!

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:28 am

mmmfloorpie wrote:Nobody shoot me for asking this, but what level of "Standard First Aid" are you required to have for this new Trainee process? Level A or Level C? It doesn't say specifically on the new poster...

THANK YOU for your help!

You're right, the new poster doesn't specify. I found that odd as well. I'd recommend getting Standard First Aid with CPR Level 'C' as that is what was required in previous posters (if I'm not mistaken) and it is what all other law enforcement agencies that I've seen require. It's also the level that we get trained to on the job.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

Gaoler
Grand Poobah

Postby Gaoler » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:44 am

IrishCanadian wrote:
gotchya wrote:
temerityus wrote:lol. Reread all the answers. It's about a humble ex military ex fb-03 bluenoser who mentionned the importance of general relativity while in Rigaud. And we do all agree with his himble opinion.

He's either since been promoted to Supt. or failed probation...

He's an RCMP officer now...

DOES NO ONE READ?!?!?

I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS. :rage:8)

nice will farrell reference!
Gaoler

Pacific_BSO

Postby Pacific_BSO » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:40 pm

I can't beleive they are still doing the $125/week thing. They should get paid as an FB-01 while in Rigaud.
**CBSA Officer**