Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
gotchya
Rookie Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby gotchya » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:59 pm

Jungle wrote:Did you get the email they sent out a couple weeks ago asking if you were still interested to respond, otherwise your file will be closed?

NO.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Buman
Rookie Member

Postby Buman » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Jungle wrote:
gotchya wrote:I got an email:
Further to our previous correspondence regarding your status in the Border Services Officer selection process with Canada Border Services Agency we would appreciate if you could advise this office whether or not you remain interested in a position with the following Regions:..

Did you get the email they sent out a couple weeks ago asking if you were still interested to respond, otherwise your file will be closed?

Nope.
Poobah Status: Confirmed
I'm a wizard and that looks f****ed up.

Gadget
Seasoned Member

Postby Gadget » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:49 pm

Hey guys. All this "didja receive an email" and "what region did you apply to" stuff should really be in the Applicant Chit Chat thread. This thread is for asking the CBSA questions after all.

I don't want to sound like a dick, but I hate getting an email telling me about a new post, only to log in several times a day to read, "No" or "No email received here" or "I applied to GTA" or something similar that basically has no relation to asking questions about the CBSA.

The thread can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18880
NO! I don't know when they're hiring dammit! No one does.

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Infidel wrote:Most people wear the velcro inner belt when they don't have their tools on - it's easier than taking it on and off whenever you put the outer belt on. Thread shouldn't stick to it, as the "fuzzy" side is the part that shows.

Until they start issuing the 'arming belts' which are slightly wider and stiffer in order to accommodate our holster. These belts have the velcro reversed; soft velcro is on the outer belt. Makes it a pain to wear only the inner belt; I've since stopped wearing it from home and just leave it at work as it started to eat away at my car seat. I'm rather surprised that they haven't just started issuing the arming belts to new recruits rather than having to pay the extra cost to swap out the old belts down the road...
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

Infidel
Rookie Member

Postby Infidel » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:50 am

SierraSeven wrote:
Infidel wrote:Most people wear the velcro inner belt when they don't have their tools on - it's easier than taking it on and off whenever you put the outer belt on. Thread shouldn't stick to it, as the "fuzzy" side is the part that shows.

Until they start issuing the 'arming belts' which are slightly wider and stiffer in order to accommodate our holster. These belts have the velcro reversed; soft velcro is on the outer belt. Makes it a pain to wear only the inner belt; I've since stopped wearing it from home and just leave it at work as it started to eat away at my car seat. I'm rather surprised that they haven't just started issuing the arming belts to new recruits rather than having to pay the extra cost to swap out the old belts down the road...

But....hold on...that would make SENSE.... :dropjaw: I thought it was just Protection, Service and Integrity....don't start bringing Common Sense into the mix - it'll mess up the "Branding Initiative". We'll need a new logo.
After all is said and done, more is said than done

rpg99
Rookie Member

Postby rpg99 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:25 pm

Just wondering about cbsa arming:

Do officers who are armed have a different job description? It is alittle strange to have only a small percentage of officers armed and the others are not until 2016 or so.
For those of you who are already on the job, how difficult is it after a year on the job to get into "intelligence,inland enforcement, ect."? I hear that after a year you can apply for transfers ect.

Thanks a bunch.

Gadget
Seasoned Member

Postby Gadget » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:54 pm

rpg99 wrote:Just wondering about cbsa arming:
Do officers who are armed have a different job description? It is alittle strange to have only a small percentage of officers armed and the others are not until 2016 or so.

The job descriptions are the same.

rpg99 wrote:For those of you who are already on the job, how difficult is it after a year on the job to get into "intelligence,inland enforcement, ect."? I hear that after a year you can apply for transfers ect.

Typically to get into these other positions, there is an expectation that you have at least 3-5 years as an officer, and have significant experience in traffic/commercial operations etc. There are rare and "magical" instances where this is not the case, but I would not count on it, EVER!

You may apply for a transfer, but will your port release you? They just spend money directly out of their LOCAL recruit budget to hire you only to have you take off and leave them without an officer or the $$ to hire a new one. Not a good thing for an officer who just passed their probation to get into unless there are extenuating circumstances.
NO! I don't know when they're hiring dammit! No one does.

rpg99
Rookie Member

Postby rpg99 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:28 pm

Thanks Gadget.

Ive always been interested in Inland Enforcement. Which is why I was asking.

nyte ryder
Rookie Member

Postby nyte ryder » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:49 pm

The chance of movement right now is pretty slim, especially in certain regions. This is due to the hiring slowdown related to the recent budget.

Roconne
Rookie Member

Postby Roconne » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:59 pm

What region are you in rpg99? I know for GTA, moving from a BSO -> Inland is pretty tough. GTEC prefers to hire externally for their IEOs instead of allowing transfers.

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:53 am

rpg99 wrote:It is alittle strange to have only a small percentage of officers armed and the others are not until 2016 or so.

Speaking from experience, I suppose you could call it strange being an armed officer working with unarmed officers. I've been involved in two incidents in the last two weeks where I've had to draw my pistol. The first involved the assistance of unarmed officers, and the second involved only armed officers. I must say it is much more comforting to be handling such a situation with only armed officers, not only because you've got that many more pistols out and ready to go, but also because you know that you're all on the same page and have all had the same training. If shit hits the fan you all know what to do. There are some unarmed officers who are switched on enough to know what to do, when to do it and where to go, but until we're all armed it can definitely be a dangerous situation.

I certainly wish we had more manpower and more logistical resources in order to change the phase in date from 2016 to 2012, but I'm not running the show, nor do I have much input.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

rpg99
Rookie Member

Postby rpg99 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:49 pm

I'm in Pacific region.

Im assuming working a land border would require more armed bso's compared a marine port? Am I right? Or do marine bso's have dangerous situations aswell?

Mr-C
Rookie Member

Postby Mr-C » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:24 pm

All land and marine are going to be armed.

Also, there's another thread (or 10) about this but inland enforcement is at the same level (FB-03) as a BSO and it's something you get can hired off the street directly into, separate from the BSO hiring process. As mentioned earlier some regions are more open to lateral transfers than others. So if you get hired as a BSO you might be able to work towards it but it's not something that will increase your salary... unlike pursuing investigations, intel, HQ desk work or management.

schadwick_1983
Rookie Member

Postby schadwick_1983 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:05 pm

so another email asking to respond or they will consider myself not interested in the recruitment process... waiting is fun. wait, still fun.
Applied: May 2014
Interview: July 2014
Psych: Pass Aug 2014
Background Investigation: Oct-Nov 2014
Passed Final Review: Dec 2014
Off to OPPC December 29, 2015!

rpg99
Rookie Member

Postby rpg99 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:35 pm

For those who have gone to rigaud:

I am debating on bringing my car... is it worth having your car with you(paying insurance ect)? Do most people go home on weekends or stay at rigaud and do stuff as a group. I live 2 hours from Rigaud.

Thanks