Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Jungle
Rookie Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Jungle » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:04 am

cbsapol wrote:Hey Guys,
Been lurking on this site for awhile, but thought I'd finally join because I have some bad news for GTA applicants. I work for the federal government in a different department and I went to this internal career crawl which had a CBSA presentation. Spoke with the people there asking what's happening to people in the GTA pool come next fiscal (April 2010). As per the presenter they are still on a hiring freeze. They've been asked to reduce their budget by 5% this year. The only thing he's heard for GTA is that they may bridge some students.

I applied in September 2008, passed interview in April 2009, so I've been sitting idly and waiting in the pool myself. One of the BSO's that was there said that when she got hired it was a hiring freeze at the same time. It took 3 and half years from time of application to getting the call. But the only good news is that at least they don't close the pools.

Other info I got, other regions are not necessarily subject to the same hiring freeze, so if you're willing to go somewhere remote make it known because you'll have a greater chance of getting in. However, transfering back might not be easy with a hiring freeze. He said that things can change at any time because places like Pearson do require a certain # of staff to function - so my advice is to pray for lots of retirements or quitters lol for any chance of a spot at Rigaud this year.

Yes they are still on a hiring freeze and they won't know what's going on until they get their budget money. I believe this. Reducing hiring costs for waiting candidates is not good, but 5% is not really a a lot. (It's too bad companies or government can't be more efficient to save money-instead, labour is easier to cut. )

Demonstrations purposes only:
If GTA planned to hire 50 people this year and reduced that by 5%, that's three bodies (rounded up), that won't be hired. SO they will hire 47. Not a big deal.

They do continue to hire students and this is a normal thing that happens every year.
GTA CBSA
04/08 Applied
08/08 BSOT-Passed
09/08 Interview-Passed
05/09 Psych Test-Passed
03/12 POOL EXPIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jungle
Rookie Member

Postby Jungle » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:08 am

PS I am drowning really badly in the pool right now... :(
I too am ready now for a change and to grow into a new career. I'm thankful to have a good job, but I am ready to move on from it now.

cbsapol
Rookie Member

Postby cbsapol » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:16 am

Jungle wrote:
cbsapol wrote:Hey Guys,
Been lurking on this site for awhile, but thought I'd finally join because I have some bad news for GTA applicants. I work for the federal government in a different department and I went to this internal career crawl which had a CBSA presentation. Spoke with the people there asking what's happening to people in the GTA pool come next fiscal (April 2010). As per the presenter they are still on a hiring freeze. They've been asked to reduce their budget by 5% this year. The only thing he's heard for GTA is that they may bridge some students.

I applied in September 2008, passed interview in April 2009, so I've been sitting idly and waiting in the pool myself. One of the BSO's that was there said that when she got hired it was a hiring freeze at the same time. It took 3 and half years from time of application to getting the call. But the only good news is that at least they don't close the pools.

Other info I got, other regions are not necessarily subject to the same hiring freeze, so if you're willing to go somewhere remote make it known because you'll have a greater chance of getting in. However, transfering back might not be easy with a hiring freeze. He said that things can change at any time because places like Pearson do require a certain # of staff to function - so my advice is to pray for lots of retirements or quitters lol for any chance of a spot at Rigaud this year.

Yes they are still on a hiring freeze and they won't know what's going on until they get their budget money. I believe this. Reducing hiring costs for waiting candidates is not good, but 5% is not really a a lot. (It's too bad companies or government can't be more efficient to save money-instead, labour is easier to cut. )

Demonstrations purposes only:
If GTA planned to hire 50 people this year and reduced that by 5%, that's three bodies (rounded up), that won't be hired. SO they will hire 47. Not a big deal.

They do continue to hire students and this is a normal thing that happens every year.

Although I agree with you to some point, it doesn't mean they have to hire. In order to reduce their budget by 5% they may simply stop hiring in order to keep costs down, but keep everything the same. In your assumption they would be cutting 5% from each program, i.e., services, pay, over time, benefits, etc etc. They can't cut pay or benefits because they're already negotiated. So the easiest way to cut is just to not hire.

Same thing is happening in my department. They are not hiring, and anybody who retires, quits, goes on leave, etc. they are not replacing. So in turn without changing a thing they reduce their operating budget.

I really hope you're right and that there still will be some people sent to Rigaud. But things do look bleak.

midge
Rookie Member

Postby midge » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:05 pm

There's lots of speculation going on in both CBSA threads - I think I have to concur with previous posters and say that it's not healthy and nothing should be taken as fact at this point. Until the budget is released and people in the pool start hearing directly from their recruiters, I don't think it's fair to say anything at this point.

I suppose it would be easy enough to maintain some sort of sanity and just *not* read these threads...yet somehow I keep ending up back here... :twitch:

SPARTAN
Veteran Member

Postby SPARTAN » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:59 pm

YKMED1004 wrote:Anyone hear of any classes going through Rigaud for Saskatchewan? I'm still on the "list" but I haven't heard anything from them in months. Should I be concerned?

I'm speculating but since Saskatchewan is just starting into the doubling up - there may be hope.
"Being in the army is like being a mushroom - kept in the dark, fed **** and keep coming back for more. " BMQ MCpl

nyte ryder
Rookie Member

Postby nyte ryder » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:38 pm

Did TMLF pass?

Gadget
Seasoned Member

Postby Gadget » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:33 am

SierraSeven wrote:If you want to be guaranteed to pass the interview, just keep repeating that you're here to collect taxes like nobody's business!

Especially if you are posted in Ontario.
NO! I don't know when they're hiring dammit! No one does.

Dosan
Rookie Member

Postby Dosan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:48 pm

Hi guys,
I received THE call this morning

Anybody else (Monteregie / Canton de l'Est region) ?
BSO - May 2008 -Applied
BSOT - Sept 2008 -Passed
Interview - Nov 2008 -Passed
Psych Eval - July 2009 -Passed
POERT-Online - Aug 2009 -Passed
PAL License, First Aid/CPR -Passed
Rigaud - May 2010 -Passed
Graduation - July 2010 -Done and Proud!
Duty Firearm Course - -Done and DONE!

Roconne
Rookie Member

Postby Roconne » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:50 pm

Dosan wrote:Hi guys,
I received THE call this morning

Anybody else (Monteregie / Canton de l'Est region) ?

Congrats buddy! I see you leave in May?

Dosan
Rookie Member

Postby Dosan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Yup,
3rd of May

I started packing my stuff this morning.. haha

Wont take long though, since most of it is still packed from last august (I was a backup for the last intake of 2009..)

I guess I now have to work on my ironing skills.. :mrgreen:
BSO - May 2008 -Applied
BSOT - Sept 2008 -Passed
Interview - Nov 2008 -Passed
Psych Eval - July 2009 -Passed
POERT-Online - Aug 2009 -Passed
PAL License, First Aid/CPR -Passed
Rigaud - May 2010 -Passed
Graduation - July 2010 -Done and Proud!
Duty Firearm Course - -Done and DONE!

midge
Rookie Member

Postby midge » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:10 pm

*starts checking e-mail furiously*

j/k

Congrats Dosan! :thumbsup:

Miss Blue

Postby Miss Blue » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:06 pm

shoelessjoe wrote:My turn to ask a question of the soon-to-be new guys. How have they split up D2s?...I take from TMLFs post that D2 is split into two parts now with a couple of weeks in-between. Is that the case?

I have the same question. What does Part 1 and 2 consist of?

WINSELL
Rookie Member

Postby WINSELL » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:20 pm

Dosan wrote:Yup,
3rd of May

I started packing my stuff this morning.. haha

Wont take long though, since most of it is still packed from last august (I was a backup for the last intake of 2009..)

I guess I now have to work on my ironing skills.. :mrgreen:

I have my D2 sims on Friday, and I am yet to use an iron.

As for the difference between D2 P1 and D2 P2... from what I've gathered, they merely separated the work load between D1 and D2; thus making D2 part 2 have half the material. Although the grade between D2 part 1 and 2 is combined for an over all pass or fail.
July 8th, 2009 - application accepted
July 27th, 2009 - BSOT PASSED
Sept. 22nd, 2009 - Interview PASSED
Nov. 30th, 2009 - Psych results PASSED
Dec. 7th, 2009 - began POERT online
Jan. 4th, 2009 - RIGAUD

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:30 pm

I think they are asking if D2 has been split up.
However I read the original post as part 1 of D2 being day one(of two...Sims/Writtens).
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

WINSELL
Rookie Member

Postby WINSELL » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:32 pm

John014 wrote:I think they are asking if D2 has been split up.
However I read the original post as part 1 of D2 being day one(of two...Sims/Writtens).

D2 part 1 and D2 part 2 have about 3 weeks between each other, no simulations for D2 part 1
July 8th, 2009 - application accepted
July 27th, 2009 - BSOT PASSED
Sept. 22nd, 2009 - Interview PASSED
Nov. 30th, 2009 - Psych results PASSED
Dec. 7th, 2009 - began POERT online
Jan. 4th, 2009 - RIGAUD