Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Columbo
Seasoned Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Columbo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:40 pm

Any one will do, as they have to be accredited by the Chief Firearms Officer of your province to instruct and test for the PAL.
"One more thing..."

fluxstone
Rookie Member

Postby fluxstone » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:57 am

Has anyone heard any news in the GTA region?
Last I heard was that they have no seats in the GTA Region for the Rigaud Learning Centre, and there are none remaining for the fiscal year at this point. The fiscal year concludes March 31, 2010.

tbalm
Rookie Member

Re: CRFSC

Postby tbalm » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:27 am

kirby_van wrote:Hi everyone!

I've been haunting the forums here for some months and getting lots of helpful info, you guys have kept me sane when I was starting to wonder if I was ever going to hear if I passed my interview or not. Well, I did! I got the news today. In the email I received they go over how you have to get your CFSC Restricted and non-restricted and your PAL (both of which I knew I'd have to get). So I called the Manitoba Gun people (I'm in Winnipeg btw) and they forwarded me this huge list of CFSC course Instructors in Winnipeg. Anyone in the Winnipeg area have any suggestions on a course instructor? Or how did you go about picking yours, I'm a little apprehensive about picking someone higgly piggly from this list of about 30 instructors. Any help would be great folks! Thanks

I used Dennis Weibe in Winnipeg. He was a lot of fun...straight and to the point.

Jezza1976
Rookie Member

Postby Jezza1976 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:50 am

I would just like to wish everyone heading to Rigaud all the best. One piece of advice I would like to give out is: "Don't forget the little things" (such as: sweeping the room before bringing the traveller into secondary for baggage exam, use the tools provided (Criminal Code in Immigration exam) if it is there, then you should probably refer to it, also make sure you look everywhere for items and contraband while doing secondary (example: receipts in magazines, hidden compartments in luggage etc.)

Infidel
Rookie Member

Postby Infidel » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:55 pm

Jezza1976 wrote:I would just like to wish everyone heading to Rigaud all the best. One piece of advice I would like to give out is: "Don't forget the little things" (such as: sweeping the room before bringing the traveller into secondary for baggage exam, use the tools provided (Criminal Code in Immigration exam) if it is there, then you should probably refer to it, also make sure you look everywhere for items and contraband while doing secondary (example: receipts in magazines, hidden compartments in luggage etc.)

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't be giving TOO many hints regarding Rigaud........

If I went through hell, I want EVERYBODY to go through hell.
After all is said and done, more is said than done

shoelessjoe
Rookie Member

Postby shoelessjoe » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:33 pm

Infidel wrote:
Jezza1976 wrote:I would just like to wish everyone heading to Rigaud all the best. One piece of advice I would like to give out is: "Don't forget the little things" (such as: sweeping the room before bringing the traveller into secondary for baggage exam, use the tools provided (Criminal Code in Immigration exam) if it is there, then you should probably refer to it, also make sure you look everywhere for items and contraband while doing secondary (example: receipts in magazines, hidden compartments in luggage etc.)

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't be giving TOO many hints regarding Rigaud........

Not only that, but sharing specific stuff is treading on thin ice as far as the Confidentiality Agreement that everyone signs in blood at Rigaud.

schadwick_1983
Rookie Member

Postby schadwick_1983 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:55 pm

all these people going to Rigaud are making me jealous. i'll be a great swimmer when it's all over, treading in the GTA pool for 2 1/2 years can make anyone a master in waiting. make sure to wave when yhou fly over the GTA to all of us still waiting. you can laugh too, i'm becoming more calous with time. but seriously, congrtats to everyone moving along. hopefully i'll be there soon too.
Applied: May 2014
Interview: July 2014
Psych: Pass Aug 2014
Background Investigation: Oct-Nov 2014
Passed Final Review: Dec 2014
Off to OPPC December 29, 2015!

jjc
Rookie Member

Postby jjc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:33 pm

shoelessjoe wrote:
Infidel wrote:

Not only that, but sharing specific stuff is treading on thin ice as far as the Confidentiality Agreement that everyone signs in blood at Rigaud.

Absolutely.. I think that was way too much information to share.

john q. public
Seasoned Member

Postby john q. public » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:41 pm

Jezza didn't reveal anything that you won't find out in both the lesson's on baggage exams, as well as, in the practice sessions before D2's. These are the sort of things that are taught in the course, and that everyone gets to find out when either doing your own practice scenario or watching your classmates perform one.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it again. Don't let your nerves get worked up by the pressure that the course creates. Everything you need to know for the testing has been taught to you and is in the handouts. Don't create your own stress by creating what if scenarios. Keep your head in the game, it's worth it in the end.

ArchAngel
Rookie Member

Postby ArchAngel » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:58 pm

john q. public wrote:Jezza didn't reveal anything that you won't find out in both the lesson's on baggage exams, as well as, in the practice sessions before D2's. These are the sort of things that are taught in the course, and that everyone gets to find out when either doing your own practice scenario or watching your classmates perform one.

mmmm.....gonna have to disagree with you on that bud.
That was too much information. You are right in that you will learn many of those things during the practice sessions but the key is you will learn them. If somone goes all gun ho during the practices and is behaving different that anyone who is doing the scenarios for the first time, the facilitators will notice that. This will just get the recruite in trouble (happend while I was there)...big trouble. Being helpful is good....spoon feeding is not.
'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing...' Edmund Burke

nyte ryder
Rookie Member

Postby nyte ryder » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:28 am

I think it's better to go in not knowing/thinking/overanalyzing what the scenario will be like. I am so glad that I wasn't fishing for info on here before I did my sims or I would have been a nervous wreck. Plus, who knows, some sims may have been changed a bit! I think everyone has heard a story or two about a class that obtained notes/info beforehand, was "discovered" to be in receipt of such goods, and when test time came, BAM, stuff was changed up...and the rest is history.

El Conejo
Grand Poobah

Postby El Conejo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:03 am

IrishCanadian wrote:If you are doing some sort of live scenario (i heard that might happen at Rigaud), in which you find some sort of paper receipt which suggests goods might have been undeclared, I strongly suggest throwing the receipt back wherever you got it from, asking if they have any guns or dope or are CNI positive, then proceed to shake your head in digust, tell them to grow the fuck up, then leave the room... after throwing a flashbang for good measure. That's how the pros do it.

Just ensure that you tell them to grow the fuck up in both official languages.

shoelessjoe
Rookie Member

Postby shoelessjoe » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:09 am

The confidentiality agreement exists for a reason. Firstly, it is important for the success of individual recruits to go into the entire training program with a blank slate--knowing bits and pieces beforehand can result in misinformation and unnecessary stress in addition to leaving the impression that some recruits have an 'advantage' of others. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, this is a public forum--anyone and everyone with a computer can (and does) read it. We fight enough battles everyday against the 'bad guys' without (potentially) giving them insight into how we train our recruits...that's a safety, security and integrity issue for all of us. I too hope those entering the program are successful and I'm more than happy to share "generalized" advice (sleep, eat, study, relax) -- prior knowledge is not necessary for success (I knew nothing about the program when I arrived). People that are unsuccessful are unsuccessful for a reason or multiplicity of reasons--we can (and have) all debated the various merits and drawbacks of the program--the bottom line is that 'hints' are not a good way to insure the right people make it and the wrong people don't. It's cool that people want to help--but think before you post.

elwoodpdowd

Postby elwoodpdowd » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:55 am

shoelessjoe wrote:The confidentiality agreement exists for a reason. Firstly, it is important for the success of individual recruits to go into the entire training program with a blank slate--knowing bits and pieces beforehand can result in misinformation and unnecessary stress in addition to leaving the impression that some recruits have an 'advantage' of others. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, this is a public forum--anyone and everyone with a computer can (and does) read it. We fight enough battles everyday against the 'bad guys' without (potentially) giving them insight into how we train our recruits...that's a safety, security and integrity issue for all of us. I too hope those entering the program are successful and I'm more than happy to share "generalized" advice (sleep, eat, study, relax) -- prior knowledge is not necessary for success (I knew nothing about the program when I arrived). People that are unsuccessful are unsuccessful for a reason or multiplicity of reasons--we can (and have) all debated the various merits and drawbacks of the program--the bottom line is that 'hints' are not a good way to insure the right people make it and the wrong people don't. It's cool that people want to help--but think before you post.

I have to agree with shoeless on this..... :thumbsup:
"When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"