Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
JALS
Rookie Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby JALS » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:41 pm

NightHawk wrote:
You have been in Rigeaud for a week awesome, congrats on being hired on before the big freeze lol !

It's January already. Hasn't that already happened?

What are you talking about lol

- Justin
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Jezza1976
Rookie Member

Postby Jezza1976 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:20 am

Ironside wrote:
WINSELL wrote:Good luck to you! I've been in Rigaud for a week now and its still so surreal; the Rigaud world (as they like to call it) sure is something else. From what I recall there was 9 or 10 classes in my intake, one coming every Sunday and mine being the first. If you haven't been notified of your seat then you might be waiting quite some time. As for me... well, :drinking:

Try the chicken burgers... they're delicious. I LIVED off those babies... sometimes twice a day! :D

Congrats BTW.

I recommend the steak. Just don't order it too often or Peter (not sure if he is still there) will cut you off for the remainder of your time there. If you are looking for a place to drink, there is a little bar in downtown Rigaud called "La Veille" (or something like that) The bartender is pretty cute too (Genevieve). Best of luck at Rigaud.

Infidel
Rookie Member

Postby Infidel » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:03 am

You think Week 1 was surreal....wait until the joy of IRPA. By week four you'll be praying for week one.
After all is said and done, more is said than done

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:00 pm

IrishCanadian wrote:It's not that bad, just pay attention and don't be a moron and waste your evenings and you will be fine.

:stupid:

as well for D1's get about 4 or 5 of your group together and practice.
And change up your studying partners.
Saw some inseperable people who both fail out.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

TMLF

Postby TMLF » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:32 pm

I leave to go to Rigaud in 6 days.

Getting a little nervous and excited and everything else in between.

Anything special that a guy should bring that wouldn't be on the generic "Things to bring" list?

I heard that it's quite warm and dry in the buildings, but outside is another story... :ponder:

Nice advice given about changing the study partners and whatnot.

I'm planning on spending about 3 hours a night on reviews, groupwork, studying, etc.

Thanks for the hint about the little pub too. :thumbsup: :drinking:
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]

Infidel
Rookie Member

Postby Infidel » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:40 pm

IrishCanadian wrote:It's not that bad, just pay attention and don't be a moron and waste your evenings and you will be fine.

I suppose it depends on the person. I miss nothing about Rigaud and hopefully will never, ever have to set my eyes on that place again. :wave:
After all is said and done, more is said than done

shoelessjoe
Rookie Member

Postby shoelessjoe » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:54 pm

TMLF--I wish you the best at Rigaud. Haven't seen the generic "what to bring list" lately, so I'm not sure where I'd start on that one. As someone who has read through these Forums, I'm sure you've gotten, heard, read and digested all sorts of sage advice on what to do when you're there.

Although I've probably said this sort of stuff before...here is a rough sketch of the advice I've given to other friends...

WORK HARD
It's a long haul up there--but in the context of your career, it's not long at all--and the rewards for success are worth the effort. Remember what you're there for and know the material from that day's class before you to bed every night.

EXPECT STRESS
Stress is part of the experience. If you can anticipate it to some degree, you may be better prepared to manage it. I found that eating well, hitting the gym regularly and making sure I got a lot of sleep helped me...it's different for everyone, but do whatever you need to do to keep yourself sane and healthy.

AVOID DRAMA
People go home--that is no secret or surprise. It sucks when people go home--whether they are from your class or not. Move on. Once you get settled in and understand what 'feedback days' are, etc, you'll appreciate this more. People will carry on about who failed in which class and why--move on. There were times I got up and left the cafeteria table to keep myself out of those conversations...if a 1/4 or 1/2 or 3/4 of some other class goes home everyone will be nattering about it--however, your coursework will not wait or slow down just to accomodate the drama, so forget about it.

Unlike many people, I generally enjoyed the experience (despite the stress). It is one of those few shared experiences every Officer in the Agency has--we've all been there and can all relate. For better or worse it shapes each of us to a degree--I hope you are as lucky as I was as far as having a terrific class made up of excellent recruits. I remain in touch with many of the Officers I graduated with--and have the privilidge of working directly with several of them. All the best, enjoy your time, and let me know if there's any other questions you might have regarding preparing yourself for the college.

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:16 pm

TMLF wrote:I'm planning on spending about 3 hours a night on reviews, groupwork, studying, etc.

To each their own, but in my opinion, that's too much. Going over the days lessons and making quick jot notes is what I did. Took about 30 minutes a day, or a couple hours (and the same number of beer) at a pic-nic table on the weekend. Those that were constantly hiding away studying their books were the ones that didn't make it. Take time to socialize, decompress, and enjoy yourself. Like Irish said, don't be a fool, but don't cram non-stop. If you do, you'll be the one manufacturing most of the stress for yourself, and you won't make it.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

ArchAngel
Rookie Member

Postby ArchAngel » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:35 pm

JALS wrote:
NightHawk wrote:
You have been in Rigeaud for a week awesome, congrats on being hired on before the big freeze lol !

It's January already. Hasn't that already happened?

What are you talking about lol
- Justin

I believe he's refering to the hiring freeze (or slowdown to be more accurace). It already occured....last summer I believe. Things are slowly starting to pick up now.

Personally, I thought the food in Rigaud was pretty good. You're not paying for it and it is good quality. More often than not, those who hated the food are those who are used to 'muumys' cooking :smirk:. Those of us who have been through bording school or away will appreciate it much more..lol. I used to looove their cheese burgers but there is a good selection. The weekend stuff may not always be the greatest as it tends to be items recycled from the week. However, it is not a bad idea to get away and try some outside stuff. I would recomend going into Hudson (about 10-15 minute drive). There are plenty of restaraunts and for convinience, Hudson is largely English speaking.

Pay attention to what shoelessjoe posted. It is a stressful environment. However, pay attention, review what you've done each day, and there is no reason why you wont pass. You and you alone control the progress you make. There will be gossip, there will be stories. Try to keep it to a minimum. Speaking from experience, it is hard to completely avoid all of it. Just try not to contribute to it. People will be send home packing but mourn their departure another time. It sucks but that the way things go. Classes will bond and we would like everyone to get through but remember that you and there so YOU can get through. I'm going to sound selfish here but you come first. Dont tread over someone to succeed but dont worry about what has happend to the person who was next to you. There's nothing you can do about it.

Best of luck. Your experience at Rigaud is what you make of it. I personally had a great time (mind you I wasnt there in the dead of winter). There were just two days that I found dreadful........feedback days...
'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing...' Edmund Burke

ArchAngel
Rookie Member

Postby ArchAngel » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:43 pm

SierraSeven wrote:
TMLF wrote:I'm planning on spending about 3 hours a night on reviews, groupwork, studying, etc.

To each their own, but in my opinion, that's too much. Going over the days lessons and making quick jot notes is what I did. Took about 30 minutes a day, or a couple hours (and the same number of beer) at a pic-nic table on the weekend. Those that were constantly hiding away studying their books were the ones that didn't make it. Take time to socialize, decompress, and enjoy yourself. Like Irish said, don't be a fool, but don't cram non-stop. If you do, you'll be the one manufacturing most of the stress for yourself, and you won't make it.

Oh yeah...that too! Remeber the saying...'all work and no play makes jack/jill a dull boy/girl'. Socialize and learn to relax. Personally, I'd leave the drinking to the weekend but thats just me. Just dont go overboard with the booze during the weekdays (I can think of a not so pleasant experience with gin on a thursday night with CDC the next morning...ugh).
I would usually spend a couple hours most weeknights going over what we had for the day and making notes if needed. Then I'd review everything again over the weekend. Do what works best for you. I wasnt a flash card person but others were.
Also....role play with one another. Thats the best way to practice for the sims. Make groups (minimum of 3 people). One plays the traveler, one plays the officer, and the remain watch and critique their interaction (you'll know how to interact after the first week). practice practice practice
'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing...' Edmund Burke

JALS
Rookie Member

Postby JALS » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:22 am

what is CDC and what are feedback days?
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

BC_Mountains
Rookie Member

Postby BC_Mountains » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:48 am

Take some notes from each lesson and review them for the tests. If you get stuck trying to study your books before the test, you'll just pull your hair out. And like others were saying, don't be just book smart, practice your primaries and secondaries. The more you practice, the easier it will be. The best is to learn to manage stress. Neither D1 or D2 scenaruios are rock science, but when you are stressed, you make stupid mistakes. And Rigaud scenarios and not neccessary what it will be like in real life.

nyte ryder
Rookie Member

Postby nyte ryder » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:52 am

It's funny that people mention having groups or partners to practice the sims with. I was one of those people who actually passed without the help of this. I did much better on my sims than I did on my writtens (must have been those years of customer service). It's just the way you learn. Like others have said, do what works for you, and for most people it will take some time to figure that out. I was there in the winter...and honestly I would have preferred it over the summer. There would have been too many distractions outside!

Good luck! 8)